Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Malevolence: The Sword of Ahkranox

Author
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2011 02:51
Thanks Duffer! Glad to see there are more fans of the classics! Can't wait to let everyone play it!

Malevolence: The Sword of Ahkranox
www.msoa-game.com
www.facebook.com/malevolencegame
Cybermind
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2011 19:11
Looking forward to this release! I will definitely try out the demo

The byte chrunchers are coming...
DIVIDING BY ZERO/BECAUSE WE SUCK...
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2011 07:09
Thank you for the praise! Stay tuned!

www.msoa-game.com
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2011 09:54
Hello all! Malevolence is competing in the Indie Game of the Year awards! If you like the project, please take a moment to give us a vote!

http://www.indiedb.com/games/malevolence-the-sword-of-ahkranox

www.msoa-game.com
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2011 10:00
Voted! Deserves to win, in my opinion this is one of the best looking DBPro projects on the go at the moment and for some time.

Good luck!

CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2011 12:16
Aww, shucks, Baxslash! Thank you so much!

www.msoa-game.com
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2011 19:55
Voted.

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2011 01:28
Thanks

www.msoa-game.com
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2011 09:08
We couldn't be more excited right now! Malevolence has made it to the finals of the Indie Game of the Year awards for 2011! We're ranked in the top 100 games at #4 in the unreleased role playing category, and we need your vote to help us win!

So please visit the following link and vote for us!

http://www.indiedb.com/events/2011-indie-of-the-year-awards/top100#vote15364

www.msoa-game.com
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2011 12:28
@ CumQuaT,

The only questions now are - when can we download this game? how much?

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2011 13:04
Demo will be out by mid next year and final version on 21/12/2012!

www.msoa-game.com
danctodd
Years of Service
User Offline
It's actually a great thing he keeps the grid-based navigation. I love fluid movement, like most fps or rpg based games these days, but someone needs to mix it up once in awhile. Be it old school, something new, or a mix, it sometimes translates well and attracts at least a small market.
With indie developers, they get more freedom to chase an idea they like, instead of what the main market wants. At least that's what I have gathered from what I have observed.

The game looks promising and something of interest. Please, take your time and make this a masterpiece.
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2011 00:53 Edited at: 12th Dec 2011 00:53
Thanks for the support! And don't forget to vote for us in the Indie Game of the Year awards! We've been nominated! Just click the VOTE button next to Malevolence at this link!

http://www.indiedb.com/events/2011-indie-of-the-year-awards/top100#vote15364

www.msoa-game.com
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2011 04:36
Quote: "But i mean this will all respect - If you feel that the movement system is limiting, or that the HuD looks gimmicky"

I think the UI looks gimmicky because it surrounds the beautiful 3D graphics you have in the game. The art styles just don't flow very well.

CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2011 05:32 Edited at: 12th Dec 2011 05:33
The game has an optional slimline UI that is more reminiscent of modern games. The classic UI is for old-school players of games like Might & Magic and Wizardry, etc, which this game is a homage to

www.msoa-game.com
Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2011 05:21
This looks great. FWIW, I think the decision to go with the grid locked movement, asides from nostalgia value, is a good one. Free movement is great, but makes things much more complicated. It's one thing to make something work, and quite another to make it work really well. I'd rather a solid and, for what it is, intuitive grid system over a free movement thing that feels loose.

If you go with free movement then people will start complaining about flat levels with lots of right angles, poor collision detection, dumb AI, it being hard to pick up items etcetera etcetera.

All this is pretty redundant because it seems like you know what game you want to make, and are seeing it through, which is laudable IMO. If more devs made the games they wanted to play, rather than what they think the market wants, i expect i'd be more likely to find games i wanted to play.
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2011 06:39
Hit the nail on the head, Dr Tank! Thanks for the feedback! We agree. It should be all about making the games we want to play! It worked for id Software

www.msoa-game.com
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 13th Dec 2011 13:38
Quote: "We agree."

So do I. Keep up the good work.
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2011 14:11
Thanks, GG!

www.msoa-game.com
Chris Ritchie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2011 15:12
Voted. Looking very polished at this point looking forward to see some more.

Lead programmer ULIDIA
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2011 00:47
Thanks very much! Fairly soon we'll start releasing a heap of videos of the outdoor environments and towns!

www.msoa-game.com
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 19th Dec 2011 19:39
Quote: "Fairly soon we'll start releasing a heap of videos of the outdoor environments and towns!"

Looking forward to that, CumQuaT! You guys do a wonderful job in making this a great game. Would love to try out a demo, but guess we'll have to wait a bit longer.
The graphics really look amazing and very stylish. The dark areas in the dungeon add to the surprise effect, which is good.

Keep it up, guys!

Cheers

CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2011 00:40
Thanks Slayer! We're really excited about launching the demo. LOTS of testing to go before then, though, unfortunately and lots of asset creation! But thank you for the support!

www.msoa-game.com
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2011 05:04
Ah well... Didn't make it to the top 5. But such a buzz to be nominated! Thank you everyone that put in their votes!

www.msoa-game.com
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2012 00:35 Edited at: 4th Jan 2012 03:37
The infinite overworld is working! REALLY basic at the moment with no shaders and only a few different models. No biomes yet, no weather, no water bodies, but this is basically just a proof of concept.
So now, when you exit the dungeons, you'll be able to start exploring the rest of the infinite world!

Please keep in mind that this is an early video. I've had so many people ignore that fact and point out blindingly obvious things...

CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2012 03:30 Edited at: 4th Jan 2012 03:36
Also will be adding in ancient ruins that the player can find. Check it out! (attached)

Not textured yet, but these models took about an hour and a half to make. Will put up an updated version once they're in the game!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Quel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2012 11:09 Edited at: 4th Jan 2012 11:10
An hour and a half is not a big deal for modeling... it's really good, though not the most game friendly i have ever seen. The cracks at least could be done by texture, and the pillar base's detail seems rather unecessary.

And i have to point out a very, blindingly obvious thing on the video , the sky is moving at least two times faster than it should.

-In.Dev.X: A unique heavy story based shoot'em ~35%
-CoreFleet: An underground commander unit based RTS ~15%
-TailsVSEggman: An Sonic themed RTS under development for idea presentation to Sega ~15%
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2012 15:05 Edited at: 4th Jan 2012 15:07
Did you read the text around the video? It's a prototype. How can I show the procedural cloud effect if I don't speed it up so people can actually see it? Always pays to read the descriptive text before commenting

Also, I never said that an hour and a half was a long time to make the models. I was merely pointing out how long they took to make as I've noticed that a lot of people are usually curious about that sort of thing. Each of the models doesn't exceed 300 polys, so I can afford to put in a little physical detail like the cracks.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2012 15:24
@CumQuaT, this is looking great!

Is that Dark Clouds, sure looks like it? Whatever it is looks great but watch out for incompatibility problems on some graphics cards if it is. It renders really weird on some cards.

The ruins are great for 300 polys max each, your artist is very good! This will really add to the exteriors.

CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2012 15:31
Thanks baxslash! I actually did these models myself. Thought I'd have a break from programming for a change

You're spot on about the DarkClouds. SUPER great plugin but it has some very serious flaws. Because of this, the player has three options to go with. DarkClouds, Evolved Skies or standard skybox. Because of the varying video cards and systems, pretty much every aspect of the engine is tweakable by the user to make it as compatible as possible. A particular model of radeon 1G runs DarkClouds at 2fps :S even though the system is a 3.2GHz quad core. It sucks, but it's totally worth it to get to use such amazing skies!

I'll be putting up a video once the ruined temples are being built in the game! Since it's procedural, the game itself will be assembling them, so I can't wait to find one for the first time!

CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2012 15:38 Edited at: 4th Jan 2012 15:43
Textures are done! Have a look! (Sorry if they're a bit dark)

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2012 15:40
Nice

revenant chaos
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2012 16:11
That looks awesome CumQuaT.
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2012 16:15
Top drawer stuff CumQuat...!

CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2012 00:24
Thanks guys! I'm very proud of them!

CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2012 01:08
The ruins are in the game! Still REALLY early days. No shaders, not all of the models are the polished versions yet, things are all still very prototypeish, but it'll give you an idea! The procedural engine constructed this ruin out of the models I passed in, I had nothing to do with the layout. And this is just one of an infinite number of ruins in the game!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2012 09:26
They look great! But is it just me or is our viewpoint a bit low? Looks like we are crawling along the floor... or are the flowers and ruins really big?

Something seems odd either way.

Quel
Years of Service
User Offline
...Maybe it was a dwarf character he was playing

-In.Dev.X: A unique heavy story based shoot'em ~35%
-CoreFleet: An underground commander unit based RTS ~15%
-TailsVSEggman: An Sonic themed RTS under development for idea presentation to Sega ~15%
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2012 12:27
@Quel - lol! always possible

@baxslash - It's a little lower than normal at the moment so that I can inspect what the ground is doing a little better (check for seams, etc) it'll be lifted once it's more complete. But yes, the ruins ARE fairly large lol

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2012 12:27
The scenery looks good as usual. I guess that lightmapping is a difficulty when creating a speedy world generator; but the fact that most of it does not look generated is pretty cool considering it is the early stage of development.

CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2012 16:15
Yeah, advanced lighting is coming! Just not quite ready to do it yet more stuff to come before the pretties!

AbdulAhad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2012 06:52 Edited at: 7th Jan 2012 06:55
This is absolutely amazing!!

What system do you reckon can run this game? If you need a beta tester with a low spec pc, I might be able to help you with that!

Abdul Ahad

CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2012 09:28
Minimum requirements seems to be around a dual core 2.8GHz with 1GB RAM and a 512MB video card

We already have an alpha test team, but keep an eye on us on the facebook page to hear when new test members are needed!

CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2012 15:24
I know that we're not exactly a high-traffic site, but we feel very strongly about this.

Malevolence's homepage is going dark during the 18th to protest SOPA and PIPA. Please make some noise about these abominable acts!

http://www.msoa-game.com/

CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2012 06:06
Malevolence has just ranked #2 Indie game on IndieDB, a library of over 5,500 games! We're ranked right next to Minecraft! So humbling!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2012 20:06 Edited at: 12th Feb 2012 20:08
Congrats! Everything is looking great. I lurk this thread hardcore when I come to these forums.

EDIT:

Oh, I forgot. I know it's an early build, but you should change the color of the fog depending on the time of day. For example, daytime would be the whitish grey you have, but night time would be black because it's darkness. It also seemed weird that you can see the perfect outline of a model even though it is cloaked in the fog. Just some thoughts.

CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2012 03:02
Already on it, Inspire! We had actually noticed we had forgot to do that when we were editing the video, but couldn't be bothered re-recording it haha

Thanks for following along with the project though! Gives us a real boost to hear when people are interested in what we're doing!

DarkByNight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2012 04:00
Congratulations on the rank on IndieDB!
That is quite an achievement and an omen of good tidings.
I love the look and feel of this game, it brings good memories of my childhood, but with better graphics.
Good luck!

CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2012 04:33
Thanks, DarkByNight! You'll probably see that our inspiration came from games like Might & Magic, Wizardry and Daggerfall!
Can't wait to let everyone play it!

DarkByNight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2012 05:10 Edited at: 13th Feb 2012 05:13
When you say that everything is procedurally generated, what about the cities... I mean, surely parts of cities are persistent (Is that the correct term?) or pre generated.
what are your rules for cities? (I mean, like they must always have an inn, or whatever)
Maybe I'm over complicating it and it's rather simple but I just don't understand how you procedurally generate cities and populate them with houses and npc's and stuff.
I am very interested in this stuff.

EDIT: I just re read the first post and it doesn't actually mention procedurally generated cities so I miss understood the whole thing, terribly sorry.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 11:27:51
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 11:27:51