Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Malevolence: The Sword of Ahkranox

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2012 15:40
I only just made a steam account to vote for 'Carnage' but it won't allow me to vote yet, maybe I need to buy a game or something?

I will vote for this when I can.

This has probably been discussed but isn't it mathematically impossible to have an infinite world which is persistent and also not randomly generated?

Perhaps with some kind of fractal based algorithm where things are repeated over and over on different scales? Hmm, perhaps it is possible but surly it would be a repetitive world, which could be good if you don't notice too much

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 1st Sep 2012 17:01
I can not believe I missed out on this thread... Darn it... Congrats CumQuat!!!

KickStarter is coming to the UK... Intrieguing...

I hope this remains DBP territory

CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2012 17:36
@Matty H - With all current methods of procedural generation that I know of, a truly infinite, procedural world isn't possible. However, we spent over two years developing a NEW method that no-one else has used before which does make it possible

@MrValentine - Very much so!

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2012 19:21
Voted. And good luck dude, hope you get the votes you need.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2012 22:40
Quote: "@Matty H - With all current methods of procedural generation that I know of, a truly infinite, procedural world isn't possible. However, we spent over two years developing a NEW method that no-one else has used before which does make it possible "

OK that's cool.

You have managed to generate lots of interest in this game, I think the 'infinite' aspect has helped here. I really want this to do well, as well as 'carnage', these games are a real inspiration to me

CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2012 07:20
Oh, Carnage looks amazing! Those guys deserve to be millionaires!

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2012 06:09 Edited at: 5th Sep 2012 06:10
Err, why is there a thumbs down button on Steam Greenlight? Who cares how many people don't want to buy the game!?

@Cumquat
Ah okay, no worries, I figured you didn't have a music person. It's a catchy tune though eh?

Shh... you're pretty.
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2012 09:55
Been following this from the background. Such a good community game. Congrats on the Kickstarter funding btw. That gives the rest of us hope for Kickstarter UK.

Just voted on Steam.

Quote: "Oh, Carnage looks amazing! Those guys deserve to be millionaires!"

I WISH!!

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2012 11:47
Quote: "Err, why is there a thumbs down button on Steam Greenlight? Who cares how many people don't want to buy the game!? "

Very good point. I know this game already got a thumbs down...because some kid was trying to demand that they change the UI graphics to get his thumbs up. Ah, welcome to the interwebs!

Hope to see this game reach Steam, but Steam or no Steam, you're gonna get my money.

CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2012 12:19 Edited at: 5th Sep 2012 12:21
@OBese87 - Yeah, definitely! You can check out a sneak peek at the Malevolence soundtrack here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZTgCW_UUnk

@Fallout - Thank you! We try to keep as involved with the community as we can. After all, without them, we don't have much! Thanks for the vote! I'm actually a big fan of Carnage and would love to keep more in touch as a fellow DBpro developer!

@Seppuku Arts - Thank you! Much appreciated!

CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2012 08:47
Hi guys! Just a quick update. Our beta test team have been making "Let's Play" videos for us! You can check them out here!

Hyfrydle32 Part 1

Hyfrydle32 Part 2

TailsTheSilverFox

I also have put together a little art showcase video to show off some of the incredible work being done by our art team!

But please, please, please. If you're a fan of the game and you have a Steam account, PLEASE not only like us on Steam Greenlight, but share the link around as much as you can! We need all the help we can get to make it onto Steam! Here's the link to go check it out!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=93060707

More stuff soon! And thanks again for following along!

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2012 21:33 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2012 12:29
@ CumQuaT,

It's looking ever more amazing - some questions:-

Are you going to have individualised modifiable (according to what you pick up and wear) portraits on the left showing what the character is wearing, holding?

Are you going to have an automatic dodge or raise shield graphically represented? (maybe based on skills etc)>?

Can you post some more screenies and stuff on stats and skills?

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 21st Sep 2012 21:44 Edited at: 21st Sep 2012 21:45
0:45-0:50 of the art vid above looks like your realm needs an optometrist!

meanwhile, more goodness. keep it up!

Virtual Nomad @ California, USA . DBPro V7.7
AMD Phenomâ„¢ X4 9750 Quad-Core @ 2.4 GHz . 8 GB PC2-6400 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3650 @ 512 MB . Vista Home Premium 64 Bit
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2012 18:23
@Virtual Nomad - heh thanks man

@Duffer - There's actually a white spark and a corresponding sound to know when you've blocked a blow you start to look for it! Your portrait updates as you put on new gear, yes. It's just too much fun not to have that feature hahaha. You can have a read about how stats and character sheets work at this link: http://swordofahkranox.blogspot.com.au/2011/11/character-stats.html

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2012 21:04
@ CumQuaT,

Glad to hear it - had me worried there.

I do like the idea re the overall score for stats and adding to that bucket of points - will be interested to see how that works out with character progression etc...

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2012 12:06
So far the test team seem to enjoy it! (A good sign for me )

The Nerevar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2012 14:00
That's nice, I hope this game is a big hit, I seem to like it already without even playing it.

Fulfilling the Nerevarine Prophecy, one trial at a time, because I... Am... The Nerevar!
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2012 15:57
hahaha thank you love the username, btw! HUGE elder scrolls fan right here!

The Nerevar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2012 23:10 Edited at: 28th Sep 2012 23:11
Thanks, How much of the lore do you know? Did you play all of them?

Anyway, I also noticed that the style reminds me of a mixture of Arena and Daggerfall!

Fulfilling the Nerevarine Prophecy, one trial at a time, because I... Am... The Nerevar!
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2012 08:04
I've been playing them since Arena, and have also played the extras such as Redguard

Daggerfall was a biiig influence over Malevolence

The Nerevar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2012 08:34
Gotta love 'em!

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2012 11:28
Happy memories... Arena would be closer in terms of the sheer size (albeit Malevolence is infinite!).

Thinking of Daggerfall, any horses, mounted combat (not that Daggerfall really had that), that sort of thing?

CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2012 13:04
There ARE horses, but no mounting them, sorry was too tricky to contemplate in a grid-based world! Maybe in the sequel!

The Nerevar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2012 17:36
I wonder how a sequel can be better than this!

CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2012 06:53
Hahaha we're thinking of making it party-based and smooth-moving, rather than grid-based, but still set in the same infinite world (but something like 1000 years after the events of the first game)

Drillfoot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2012 08:47
Wow, this is amazing. Graphics, and everything looks amazing! You got my money already, not only to support an indie developer, but this deserves a price tag. Very well done, and congrats to you and your team!! Look forward to this!

rem allow user create game with one click
rem create graphics, sound, scripts, models, with one click
rem slap user in face if game choice is mmo
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2012 09:56
Awesome praise! Thank you so much, Drillfoot!

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2012 17:45
It must be very cool to have people beta testing a full gaming experience, recording vids and making commentary as they go. I'm guessing there was a big fat grin on your face the first time you watched someone else's game play video of your game?

CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2012 08:37
Oh you have no idea hahaha

... or maybe you do...

I get such a kick out of watching people's videos!

In other news though, our new website is live!

http://www.malevolencegame.com

And be sure to check out the Community page and join our forum!

CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2012 11:17
One of our Beta test team have put out a new Let's Play video for those interested

The Nerevar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2012 03:00 Edited at: 8th Nov 2012 03:03
Wow, this is a game that I'll definitely get!
December 21 eh? Right before Christmas!

CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2012 12:04
If all goes well!

CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2012 13:43
A new Let's Play video from our test team!

CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2012 13:09
Hello all!

Pre-orders for the game have finally begun now that we're in the final stages of development! Just visit our main site to do it!

http://www.malevolencegame.com/

While you're there, please vote for us in the Indie Game of the Year awards!

http://www.indiedb.com/games/malevolence-the-sword-of-ahkranox

And check out this awesome Let's Play series by one of our Beta testers!

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2012 18:29 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2012 18:33
Gone Deluxe....

@ cumQuat,

It's probably been asked before, but do you have teleport / long range teleport spells working on Malevolence? Would be darn handy...

CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2012 11:14
There are short range teleport spells, but if you're a member of the mages guild you can use portal travel to traverse large distances very quickly.

But then again, if you're not, you can always catch a gryphon where you need to go!

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2012 21:35
@ CumQuaT,

Excellent!

P.S. Is it still on track for @ 21/12?

Whether or not it is, how will my pre-purchase thing work, in round terms?

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2012 18:55
Also, if we go adventuring on the beta released on Friday and save out, can we load in with a later release of the game?

CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2012 10:35
Hi Duffer! Sorry about the reply delay!

Due to team delays and some pretty nasty personal life crises, we've had to push the release date back until the end of January, MAYBE early February life sometimes likes to throw curve-balls unfortunately.

The pre-purchases work either via being one of the Kickstarter pledgers, in which case you'll get access to the beta on Christmas eve (not a finished game, but perfectly playable) via a direct download from our private servers, or, you can pre-order the game on our main website: www.malevolencegame.com

As for the saved games, we're going to do our best to make sure that you can, however, betas being betas, I wouldn't get TOO attached to your beta character, just in case

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2012 20:04
So if I ordered the deluxe it's probably Feb 13.

That's ok. If you read any book on game design with commentary by a game designer, the one luxury they wanted more of was beta testing and feedback before the final release.

I can wait.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 27th Dec 2012 13:28 Edited at: 28th Dec 2012 01:08
@CumQuat

I've installed the beta on two different computers (different OS, GFX card, etc) and have a number of issues, some common to both installs. Where's the best place to send/post those? (Edit Nevermind - I've got an answer to that question now. )

Despite the glitches this looks very promising. The opening sound and images are glorious - and I even managed to find a lost temple, enter the dungeon and kill something! Now I'd better read the instructions again ...

I'm very much looking forward to seeing the final version.

Quote: "If you read any book on game design with commentary by a game designer, the one luxury they wanted more of was beta testing and feedback before the final release."

I'm sure you're right.
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2012 08:27 Edited at: 28th Dec 2012 08:27
Heya Green Gandalf! Didn't realise you were in the KickStarter, too! That's awesome!

Yes, a few people ran into some graphics issues. One of the trickier things with DBP I suppose. Lee Bamber has been kind enough to offer his help on a couple of issues, too, which has been great.

If you're so inclined, the forum is the best place to get answers and tips for the questions about the game

http://www.malevolencegame.com/forum/

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2012 13:15
I'm wondering whether you need a working () option to turn off Advanced Lighting. If you're using Evolved's latest version then I know that doesn't work on my PC which is a shame and could be part of the problem I'm having with Malevolence.

Thanks for the link but I've already posted a few comments there under a different guise.

I think I'm going to explore a dungeon or two right now.
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2012 05:32
I'm using a fairly old version of it, actually :\ and the terrain system is a part of his code, so it would be a huge amount of work to put in an option to turn off advanced lighting altogether :\ I originally started making the game with the option, however, it made me virtually have to make the game twice in order to make it work! It proved to be too much for one man to handle and I left it out about a year ago

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2012 11:32
Quote: "so it would be a huge amount of work to put in an option to turn off advanced lighting altogether "

Yes, I was wondering how practical it would be to have that option.

Quote: "I'm using a fairly old version of it, actually"

I vaguely recall having problems with an earlier version as well. I probably still have some older versions here, and hopefully the same one you're using, so I'll dig those out and test them on both my machines and see if they work. That might help me decide whether or not the problem is Advanced Lighting or something else.

I'll report back when I've done some further testing and checking.
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2012 03:14
Oddly enough, I found the newer versions about half way through making the game, and when I tried to upgrade I found that QUITE a bit had changed, and all of my code broke!

Currently I think most of the issues are from not fully flushing the video memory, so I'm in the process of working on code for that for the next release. As soon as I flush it all loaded images and models will disappear though, so I have to be careful about it!

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2012 18:55
Haven't checked out the old Advanced Lighting demos yet - but have played the game quite a bit. Interestingly, the graphics glitches didn't appear till I'd been playing for some time, so it could be something that's made worse with overheating. Not sure what though - if overheating were the problem why would the problem suddenly appear or disappear when I change scene? Hopefully your fixes might improve matters.

Encountered a few more bugs (which you seem to be aware of) - and one unexpected feature:

After getting drunk in the town inn I woke in the middle of nowhere minus all my armour! Problem was I didn't realise I was virtually naked while bashing monsters in the nearest dungeon till I noticed I was losing health faster than usual!

It was a shame about the original armour - it was nicely colour coordinated too. For some odd reason it then took a while to find another pair of trousers that I could wear. But I did find a nice powerful sword as some sort of compensation.

I like the trap disabling system - nicely done.
revenant chaos
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2012 20:25 Edited at: 30th Dec 2012 20:26
Quote: "After getting drunk in the town inn I woke in the middle of nowhere minus all my armour!"
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2012 02:22
Still had my weapon though.
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2012 11:41
That's actually not a bug lol

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 15:11:03
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 15:11:03