Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / [AGK-Community Project] ADG Arcade!

Author
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2011 19:40
Here's some animated sprite code (for sprite sheets) I'll be adding in to the main code. It also requires that you set a global float called ADG_time to the value of timer() each loop:

Hope that helps!

I have a question. I'm building a large number of global variables here, is it worth storing these in an array so they can be deleted to free up memory do you think? Same question goes for everyone's games!?

Bursar
Years of Service
User Offline
Currently, I don't think the Undim command works, so although it might be useful if another version comes out soonish, I probably wouldn't worry about it.

I would however be inclined to use a type to group everything together.

I don't think storing a few integers and strings is really going to chew up RAM. As long as everyone deletes their sprites, images, text, fonts, particles, music and sound effects when their game quits, I think we'll be OK.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2011 21:13
Ok then, I won't worry about it then... Just thought it was worth considering.

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2011 00:29
I have another question about the resolution. Since I'm developing for 480x320 I have the values in setup.agc as required but should I use:

instead of:

Baxslash if you would like an 800x600 version of my game I can do that too.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2011 00:43 Edited at: 9th Sep 2011 00:43
Quote: "Baxslash if you would like an 800x600 version of my game I can do that too."

I think it's best if all games can cope with up to that resolution anyway, perhaps better still if all games run nicely at 1024x768 down to 480x320...

I just had some fun playing with graphics... here's my splash screen for Oblitinator:

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2011 00:52
I'm considering how my user interface will work and I think I'll have to send you two versions of my game, 1 for AppUp and another for mobile devices. I'm afraid scaling isn't the main issue for me, it's that I've got to program my game sideways so it has the landscape orientation but the user holds it portrait anyway. But for PC this would look silly so I'll make two.

Nice splash scren btw, I've yet to make one for myself.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2011 01:11 Edited at: 9th Sep 2011 01:31
Time for bed now, just been playing my game to see how the levels are so far. Pretty pleased as there's still no "HODGEY NUKE!!!" or other power-ups, no other weapons added yet, no bonus for accuracy and no pause between waves... much to do to improve on an already addictive game...

High score so far 62,440 up to level 12... that get's HARD

Deathead, I could use a laser turret and some kind of shield generator. I'll produce the shield graphics but I could use something that might create a force field. If possible could these units be mobile so they can arrive as reinforcements (Vehicles with separate wheels and turrets so I can drive them in)? Big ask I know, but don't worry as I'll do them myself if you don't have time

EDIT: Download updated!
https://forumfiles.thegamecreators.com/download/2256024

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Deathead, I could use a laser turret and some kind of shield generator. I'll produce the shield graphics but I could use something that might create a force field. If possible could these units be mobile so they can arrive as reinforcements (Vehicles with separate wheels and turrets so I can drive them in)? Big ask I know, but don't worry as I'll do them myself if you don't have time "

K, I see what I can do over the weekend. Although bit unsure about the shield thing, will that be a attachment for the original turret? Or will it be something different all together? Also will all the turrets be stationary or can you move them around?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2011 11:21
Quote: "K, I see what I can do over the weekend."

Thanks D!

Quote: "Although bit unsure about the shield thing, will that be a attachment for the original turret?"

I'm thinking if you could produce a vehicle like a heavy truck (think thunderbirds and you're on the right track ) then any additional weapons could be mounted on trucks that come in as reinforcements. I thought they might be destroyed by near hits but could be replaced by 'pickups'

I'll do a rough draft of a truck and shield generator and post it here...

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 9th Sep 2011 11:46
@Hodgey:
I'm gonna do some explosions later today and over the weekend, a bit like the explosions I did in Brixoid.
I saw in your 'images' folder that you have two images, a transparent one, and one with a black background. Do you need both?
Also kinda curious how you're gonna implement both alien spaceships.
So, you only need the allied spaceship (engine) animated, right?

Cheers

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2011 12:02
Quote: "I'm gonna do some explosions later today and over the weekend, a bit like the explosions I did in Brixoid. "

Thanks The Slayer, you have some neat explosions in Brixoid, I look forward to seeing them.

Quote: "I saw in your 'images' folder that you have two images, a transparent one, and one with a black background. Do you need both? "

I only need the one with the transparent background, you can delete the other if you like.

Quote: "Also kinda curious how you're gonna implement both alien spaceships. "

I'm writing the game as we speak..err type, post? Anyway I hope to have a demo for you and everyone else soon.

Quote: "So, you only need the allied spaceship (engine) animated, right?"

The one that I named 'The Slayer' (see my previous post) yes that's right.

Thanks again The Slayer

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2011 12:13
@Deathead, attached are some crude examples of what I had in mind for the vehicles and weapons.

The wheels would need to be separate so I can animate them and they may need to be a different colour to show up against my black background but you get the idea...

I will use these as place-holders for the time being but change the size if you wish.

Looking forward to seeing some of your demos guys!

Attachments

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
@the Slayer, thanks for the offer. I'm not quite sure what I will be needing yet, I have only a basic layout at the minute. Should I email you when I know exactly what I need? Or just post here?
@baxslash, nice work on the Missile command clone. I did one in DB a while back.

You may want to scale your explosions and fade them towards the end. I include a vid of my DB game, although as ever fraps has added a blue border around its edge.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2011 18:53 Edited at: 9th Sep 2011 19:23
Quote: "baxslash, nice work on the Missile command clone. I did one in DB a while back."

Looks surprisingly similar

Quote: "You may want to scale your explosions and fade them towards the end."

Ummm I am doing that... the latest video is near the top of this page, do you mean this one or the one using particles?

EDIT:
Black Holes - Added
Hodgey Nuke - Added Just need to improve the graphics a little

Here's the Nuke image (if you look closely it has your name on it H)

Attachments

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2011 19:58
@Hodgey:
New images sent.

Quote: "The one that I named 'The Slayer' (see my previous post) yes that's right."

Aah right, that one.

Quote: "@the Slayer, thanks for the offer. I'm not quite sure what I will be needing yet, I have only a basic layout at the minute. Should I email you when I know exactly what I need?"

No problems, DVader.
Yeah, maybe its best to email me and I'll see what I can do.

Cheers

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
@ the Slayer, cool will mail you when I know what I need.
@ baxslash, ah I meant scale them up rather than down, as they explode. The original missile command did both. It was only a suggestion of course, I think it makes the explosions look more natural.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2011 22:48
Quote: "baxslash, ah I meant scale them up rather than down, as they explode. The original missile command did both. It was only a suggestion of course, I think it makes the explosions look more natural."

Aah, got you. I could easily add a little more to the explosion timeline but I really quite like it the way it is. I'm just trying to decide how to do the NUKE effect. Currently it's just a gradually expanding explosion effect that fades out but that was just to give me a visual representation of what is happening. As the explosion grows to the size of the screen the meteors that get caught in the blast radius get quickly destroyed.

I need to add some kind of power-up sequence before I release the new weapons in a demo but I'm happy with my progress

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2011 00:23
Quote: "Hodgey Nuke - Added Just need to improve the graphics a little

Here's the Nuke image (if you look closely it has your name on it H) "

Haha, that looks awesome! I think you know what my favourite weapon in your game is.
I'll have to return the favour. Baxslash would you like to be a weapon or a ship?

Quote: "New images sent."

Thanks, The Slayer, coding them in now!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2011 00:26
Quote: "Baxslash would you like to be a weapon or a ship?"

The "Slasher" would make a good ship no?

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2011 00:28 Edited at: 10th Sep 2011 00:43
Quote: "The "Slasher" would make a good ship no?"

I was actually going to call you "The Baxslasher" but a ship it is!

I can just see The Slayer wondering what on Earth I'm going to do in my game. Right now what I've said isn't making a lot of sense is it?

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2011 01:04
Quote: "I can just see The Slayer wondering what on Earth I'm going to do in my game. Right now what I've said isn't making a lot of sense is it?"

Yeah, I'm bashing my head against the wall right now, trying to figure it all out.
Hehehheh.
When is that demo coming out again?

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2011 01:39
Quote: "When is that demo coming out again? "

ASAP! I coding it right now! I can't set any dates because I've just increased the to-do list by a bit, but soon.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2011 01:55
Quote: "ASAP! I coding it right now! I can't set any dates because I've just increased the to-do list by a bit, but soon."

Awesome! Can't wait. But, take as long as you need.

Btw, I used the phrase
Quote: "I'm bashing my head against the wall right now"
, but I'm not sure it's the right one? ?

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2011 02:51 Edited at: 10th Sep 2011 02:52
Here's something to whet your appetite The Slayer. It has transparency so will look a lot better in the game.

Quote: "Btw, I used the phrase
Quote: "I'm bashing my head against the wall right now"
"

So you bashed your head against the wrong wall?

Attachments

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2011 11:54
Quote: "Quote: "I'm bashing my head against the wall right now"
"
So you bashed your head against the wrong wall?"

Oh man, now that is a good one. Hahahhah.
Guess I'll have to ask the wall to know.

Looking forward to that demo, Hodgey!

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2011 12:22 Edited at: 10th Sep 2011 12:23
@ The Slayer, it's actually taking me a lot longer to write than expected and I've worked out why, I don't have intellisense. I do a lot of my DBPro programming in Indigo which has a wonderful intellisense but now I actually have to remember variable names . When TGC release a decent intellisense for AppGameKit I'll be very happy but for now, it's time to test out my typing skills...and memory.

Since there's a delay, time for another treat. This one may answer a few more questions.

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2011 14:54
I like the baxslasher Hodgey!

I had an idea for some code for drawing lines dots and boxes in any colour with alpha. Would anyone find it useful for their project? I haven't written it yet but the code is all their in my head...

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2011 15:11
Quote: "I like the baxslasher Hodgey! "

Thanks baxslash but credit should go to The Slayer as he drew it. I decided to give your ship greater speed because you've ninja'd me more times that I can count but to make things fair I gave The Slayer's ship a shorter reload time. So basically The Baxslasher is the faster ship but The Slayer will put out more bullets.

Quote: "I had an idea for some code for drawing lines dots and boxes in any colour with alpha. Would anyone find it useful for their project? I haven't written it yet but the code is all their in my head..."

Quote: "
Rule #269
Never turn down good/free code!"

I probably won't use it for my project but it may come in handy later.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2011 15:32
Quote: "The Slayer's ship a shorter reload time. So basically The Baxslasher is the faster ship but The Slayer will put out more bullets."

Oh, and not to forget, The Slayer is also smaller, so that means harder to hit.

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2011 15:48
Quote: "Oh, and not to forget, The Slayer is also smaller, so that means harder to hit. "

I knew you were drawing those ships systematically but what happens if I put a wall there?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2011 16:48
Quote: "Oh, and not to forget, The Slayer is also smaller, so that means harder to hit."

Ah, but the baxslasher has more armour so It can take more hits!

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
@baxslash: Finished the sprites going to send them to you now, just a heads up.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2011 19:24
Quote: "Finished the sprites going to send them to you now, just a heads up."

Oooh

I'll take a look in a short while, thanks Deathead!!

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2011 23:50
Quote: "but what happens if I put a wall there?"

Hum, I'd better stay away from walls.
But wait, I have an idea...I'll shoot them walls.

Quote: "Ah, but the baxslasher has more armour so It can take more hits!"

It has?
Oops, guess I'll better redesign the alien ships then?

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2011 00:13
Quote: "But wait, I have an idea...I'll shoot them walls."

You should slay them walls

Would you guys like me to implement a multiplayer mode so then you can really test out your ships?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2011 09:26
Multiplayer would be cool to try out!

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2011 09:33
Quote: "Multiplayer would be cool to try out!"

I will certainly look into it.

Baxslash have you or anyone else tried the 'Decouple the display loop' optimisation technique in AppGameKit? I'm looking into it at the moment and I think in order to achieve it we need to break up the sync() command into its Update()-Render()-Swap() form.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2011 10:17
Quote: "Baxslash have you or anyone else tried the 'Decouple the display loop' optimisation technique in AppGameKit? I'm looking into it at the moment and I think in order to achieve it we need to break up the sync() command into its Update()-Render()-Swap() form."

I don't think it's really necessary in AppGameKit, is there a reason you feel you need to do it?

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2011 12:52
Quote: "is there a reason you feel you need to do it?"

Not really, it's just that when I built my game template which I'm using for Radar Invaders I built it with this in mind. I don't need to implement it now but if the time comes then it won't be too much of a hassle to code it. I was just wondering if anyone already had this working in AGK. Another reason for me asking was one of those "while I'm here I may as well try it" type thoughts but as I don't really need it I'll leave it for now.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2011 17:55 Edited at: 11th Sep 2011 17:56
I had a go at it but didn't have much success. I was trying to get rid of the horrible redraw issue in full screen mode. It didn't make any difference in the end, so I dropped it. I haven't seen anyone else notice this AppGameKit problem as yet. I only see it in full screen mode on my desktop or by maximizing the window size on my netbook. It looks like a sync problem of some sort. Try it. Any game that scrolls across suffers from a horrid slow redraw from the bottom of the screen when in full screen mode.

Anyway, I have made a start to Frogger, having a few issues with the home areas being slightly ropey. So I think I'm going to rethink that part, at the moment it is overcomplicated. I include a screenie of it so far, although very rough still, and using what graphics I can find for the moment.

Attachments

Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2011 23:19
Here's a REALLY EARLY look at BallBricker. Sorry for the extreme lo-res video.

BallBricker is a twist on the usual Breakout type game. You are trying to remove all the balls from the screen, same as with the bricks in Breakout. But...

There's no paddle! You will be able to place a limited number of "bricks" on the game field, in order to prevent the ball from leaving the screen. (not programmed yet)

Points will be gained for each ball destroyed, with a multiplying factor that scales with how much force you initially apply to the ball. The faster it goes, the more points, but at the cost of less time to react with a blocking brick.

There will be several themes for the graphics. Shown are sports and billiards. I'm planning on planets, food, bubbles, candy, and as many more as I can think of.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome!

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2011 00:49
Looks really good Rich and as it is based on breakout will it have power ups?

Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2011 00:55
Hodgey - thanks! Power-ups would certainly be good, I will add them to the list of desired features!

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2011 01:05
@Rich: Excellent, I love power ups.

@DVader: your frogger games looking good as well.

Bursar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2011 09:50 Edited at: 12th Sep 2011 10:46
Rich: looks good, but I wonder how natural it is to draw the line in the direction that you want the ball to go? In most games that have this kind of mechanic, you tend to draw the line the other way. Start from the ball, draw back, and then the ball fires off in the opposite direction.

Interesting twist on on the general breakout theme though, and only a small step away from an actual pool game

I'm also working on something new as well - Hot Lap. It's a 2.5D racing game, in a similar vein to Pole Position. I've put up a WIP thread here: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=189277&b=41
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2011 11:44
Rich, looks great!

Bursar, stunning!

I feel ill so I go away now... sorry...

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2011 12:09 Edited at: 12th Sep 2011 12:12
Quote: "I feel ill so I go away now... sorry...
"

That's not good baxslash, hope you feel better soon. Don't worry I'll take good care of everything until you get back *leans on desk and presses self destruct button* "ADG Arcade self destruct in 10...9...8" Oooops.

Bursar that is absolutely amazing! I love it when developers decide to ignore the limitations of something. AppGameKit doesn't support 3D? Pfffft we'll show them

Edit-
@ The Slayer: A quote from Mr Lee Bamber:
Quote: "A good 2D artist is worth his weight in gold,"

This says it all.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2011 14:39
@DVader:
Good start already.
Hope they can fix the redraw issue in fullscreen mode.

@Rich:
That's a cool variant on the classic breakout game. It's almost like billiards. Hehheheh. And, I like billiards very much.

@Bursar:
Wooow, that is so sweet. It reminds me of the early racing games on the C64.
There's a little deformation when the road turns, but other than that, it's very coool.

Quote: "I feel ill so I go away now... sorry..."

Ouch, that's not good news. Hope you get better soon. I wanna fight against the Baxslasher.

Quote: "@ The Slayer: A quote from Mr Lee Bamber:
Quote: "A good 2D artist is worth his weight in gold,"
This says it all."

Martin Donat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2011 10:28 Edited at: 13th Sep 2011 10:30
Today I bought AppGameKit, so I will start making Pac-Man Clone and I want to contribute with it to the ADG. If I will be finished I will post code here.

the leader of Mouseking studio

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2011 10:46
Quote: "Don't worry I'll take good care of everything until you get back *leans on desk and presses self destruct button* "ADG Arcade self destruct in 10...9...8" Oooops."

Made me laugh, nice Feeling about 90% better so I'm only about 10% ill...

Quote: "Today I bought AppGameKit, so I will start making Pac-Man Clone and I want to contribute with it to the ADG. If I will be finished I will post code here."

That's great Martin, I'll add it to the list! If you want any help with anything just post your question here

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 12:35:27
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 12:35:27