Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / [AGK-Community Project] ADG Arcade!

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2011 11:36 Edited at: 20th Sep 2011 11:42
Here's a little utility to check virtual resolutions against the device size for our Arcade! project. Attached are the project files. The size and position of the text is scaled to match the chosen virtual resolution. The background is 640 x 480, so the square and circle look normal at that resolution.

I put this together to test the "input your initials for the high score board" function that I'm about to finish. Should post it here in a couple of days...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2011 11:51
Thanks a lot Rich! I'll take a look...

This could prove very useful in testing our games at different resolutions.

Quote: "I put this together to test the "input your initials for the high score board" function that I'm about to finish. Should post it here in a couple of days..."

Looking forward to seeing it in action! I guess we could do with some highscore board code too and a method of adding to individual boards for each game... I'm reducing my plans for my own game a little as I don't have time to add everything I planned. The game will be pretty much as it is but with 'shields' and a 'laser' weapon. Then I'm tidying up the code and adding it into the main project. I'll also add the highscore stuff in too before that happens.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I only added a highscore to Froggit yesterday. I'm using the plain old AppGameKit starttextinput method for name entry at the moment, but I can always switch that to the function Rich is doing when needed.

While I'm posting I will share a little bit of info for you. You may already know this but AppGameKit has a problem with non ^2 sprites. I tested Froggit on my netbook for the first time the other day, to find that my water effect was all out of kilter. Also an animation had stopped working. Both ran fine on my main computer.
Reading up in the docs a little I noticed it mentioned images and sprites needing to be ^2 or it would "pad" the image/sprite. So I rescaled my images to correct sizes and presto working on the netbook! Apart from the animation which was suffering from another bug, but could well have had an issue as well. As I had already fixed that before I found the other bug.
So in case anyone is working on a fairly decent desktop and haven't tested their project on less powerful devices it's worth keeping in mind.
Oh, a quick note, although I'm sure you all know this already. A ^2 image size is a binary representation, not just divisible by 2 as some fall into the mistake of thinking. So, 1,2,4,8,16 etc. That's why older machines always used sprite sizes of 8x8,16x16,16x32 etc.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 20th Sep 2011 21:28
Quote: "Reading up in the docs a little I noticed it mentioned images and sprites needing to be ^2 or it would "pad" the image/sprite."

Good to know, DVader.
Maybe best to also mention this on the App Developers Group threads, both in the AppGameKit and DBPro sections.

@DVader:
Finished some more images for 'Froggit' (including the turtle ). Will zip 'em and send them right after posting here.

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2011 10:58
Thanks for the heads up DVader!

With the highscores are we going with initials or should we allow the users to input their names and have a limit e.g 20 chars?

Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2011 11:16 Edited at: 21st Sep 2011 11:47
Hodgey - I'm just about to post my proposed player name input function.

What I have so far is a variable input length of 3 to 9 characters.

If you give it a fontID, it will use your font and colors. If you give a fontID of zero, it will use Avenir.

If you give it a fontSize, it will use that size, a size of zero will cause it to fit the font to the input box.

Here's a screen shot...

EDIT: to include a custom font made with this.

Once I post it, I'll be looking for lots of feedback on whether we want to use it for Arcade!, what changes should be made, etc.

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2011 11:28
Looks great Rich, I like the style a lot

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2011 11:32
Quote: "Looks great Rich, I like the style a lot"

Took the words out of my mouth! I'll give it a test on the weekend.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2011 12:34
@Rich:
Looking nice! Hows the progress on your 'Particle Sandbox'?

Off topic:

@Hodgey:
I've sent you a mail yesterday, and again just a few minutes ago, but after it was sent, I got an error mail, saying:

'This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.', followed by your email address.

Any ideas? Could you check your spam filter?

Thanks.

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2011 14:02
Quote: "@Hodgey:
I've sent you a mail yesterday, and again just a few minutes ago, but after it was sent, I got an error mail, saying:

'This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.', followed by your email address.

Any ideas? Could you check your spam filter?
"

I'm just as surprised as you are! I've never had this problem before (well no-ones ever mentioned it to me) and I haven't changed any of my settings and my filter allows all emails through but marks suspected spam emails as such and moves them to a different folder but I can still see them all. I'll send you a test email, see if a reply works.

Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2011 18:09 Edited at: 30th Sep 2011 05:47
Okay, here's my proposal for a function to get the player's name or initials for a high score list. The code is documented, and should be very easy to use.

I'm looking for comments, crits, suggestions for improvements, etc.

baxslash has final approval on using the function for ADG Arcade!, but I'm releasing the code for *anyone* to use and abuse, so hack away. The attached project is a demo on how it looks and works.

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2011 18:14
Thanks Rich!! I'll take a proper look ASAP

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks good Rich. Once the compiler bug (you know the one I mean) is sorted, I'll try to get it running from Froggit. At the minute I'm practically knocking on the command limit's door and asking for random crashes So I know I have no chance of adding in the function at present. Hopefully won't be too long now, I noticed the bug report you made seems to have vanished from the bug listing. Wonder if that means it has been squashed unofficially?

Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2011 16:23 Edited at: 25th Sep 2011 00:05
DVader - the bugs have not vanished, if you will set the search criteria to "All Issues" instead of "Open Issues" they will all show up.

Yah, I can't wait for the update, I'll be able to finish AppGameKit Particle Sandbox. (hah! It's been so long since I worked on it, I almost forgot its name!)

EDIT: I've been taking a break from Particle Sandbox while waiting for "the bug" to be fixed, but today I decided to see if I could squeeze a few more lines into the project. Well, I found a big old bug of my own! Squashed it! Putting the project aside and then taking a fresh look worked out well.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2011 00:29 Edited at: 25th Sep 2011 00:55
Always good to eliminate those bugs Rich. That's mostly what I have been doing with Froggit in the last few days. I think it is now bug free, but time will tell.
Heres a new pic of Froggit for you baxslash. I'm uploading a new video at the moment, but it will take a few hours yet by the looks. Perhaps I should mail you the link rather than post it here? I'm happy with either. If you think I should mail it so peeps will first see it in the newsletter, should I use the admin grot mail address?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2011 11:24 Edited at: 25th Sep 2011 12:30
Looks awesome DVader! Great work

That email address would be fine thanks, superb.

Once you're happy with the code send me the project folder and I'll start integrating it into the main project!

EDIT: I really need any photos / video links by tonight if possible guys. Cheers!

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2011 12:34
Quote: ""Fixed AppGameKit compiler bug causing programs to fail over a certain size.""

And we're off again!

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=189801&b=41

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2011 03:19
A little word of warning, don't make your images too big dimension wise as netbooks don't like them. Try to follow the power of 2 rule for both width and height and try to make it so that the image will fit on the screen as a whole. So basically image width <= screen width and image height <= screen height. You can make them larger but you will be sailing in unchartered waters as to how large they can get before becoming white sprites.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2011 10:50
Quote: "A little word of warning, don't make your images too big dimension wise as netbooks don't like them. Try to follow the power of 2 rule for both width and height and try to make it so that the image will fit on the screen as a whole. So basically image width <= screen width and image height <= screen height. You can make them larger but you will be sailing in unchartered waters as to how large they can get before becoming white sprites."

You can go larger than the screen size but I think you might be limited to around 2048x2048, at least that's my experience. This is clearly a bug, I'll post it on the board...

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2011 10:57
Quote: "This is clearly a bug, I'll post it on the board...
"

Thanks baxslash, I hope it gets fixed.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2011 14:36
For anyone that is unaware there are two new utilities available which are useful to AppGameKit developers for creating sprite sheets:
Model-2-Sprite
...and...
SpriteMe

Both are made by ADG members @matty halewood and @hockeykid respectively. Well done guys! Nice to see some healthy competition, personally I'm tempted by the combo offer

Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2011 05:44
Just a heads up, with the newest update to AppGameKit, mid() is not valid for character position zero. So, the "enter initials or name" function had to be changed, to:

and the new project files are attached.

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2011 10:50
Quote: "Just a heads up, with the newest update to AppGameKit, mid() is not valid for character position zero."

Didn't know that thanks Rich! I haven't used the system yet but I'll be getting back on this project in the near future and I need to get a highscore system working so I'll be using your code.

I have just used the "mid" command and must have guessed it right as it seems to work that way in my code AppGameKit is soooo logical.

Looking forward to seeing the particle sandbox!

One thing I would like to see with particles is start-size, end-size or keyframing for scale...

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2011 23:35
Hmm this seems like quite a noble project and I'm trying to learn AppGameKit at the moment and will eventually get the full version, so I was thinking of doing a text adventure for my first project, which I don't think falls under 'arcade', but I could try to do something small with the basic code. I wrote one in DBP a while back for a University project, so it shouldn't be too difficult to translate the code over. Heck I could probably use the adventure I wrote for my project, just a bit extended (the requirements for the project were rather limited).

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2011 01:12
Quote: "so I was thinking of doing a text adventure for my first project, which I don't think falls under 'arcade', but I could try to do something small with the basic code."

That might be pushing the arcade boundaries just a little bit but baxslash will have the ultimate say though. Would it be possible (and not too much work) to integrate arcade games into you text adventure. Like after making a bit of progress you need to kill a dragon but in order to do so, it flicks to a battle arena were you throw weapons at him while he shoots down fireballs. If you could employ little games like that thoughout your adventure you then have the best of both worlds.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2011 11:24
How about it falling under a new title "ADG Adventure!"?

Why not make the game and then we can see where it fits?

This is mainly a learning exercise anyway!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2011 12:02
On the music front I have confirmation that we can use music by "Desert Planet" for this project (the tune in oblitinator is one of theirs)!

I will email the full set of tracks available to anyone on request. Email me.

It would be great if we all used their stuff or something 8bit style for continuity. There are some free 8bit tracks available from incomtech by Kevin McLeod too that would be apt.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2011 12:27
Quote: "This is mainly a learning exercise anyway!"

He he, that's the idea. I was thinking of just using an existing DBP project and transferring it over to AppGameKit to understand how it works and learn stuff and it works pretty well so far.

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2011 03:45
Quote: "How about it falling under a new title "ADG Adventure!"?"

Did I miss something? ADG Adventure? An adventure game would certainly put my coding abilities to the test! But i'm always up to a challenge.

BTW when is the latest you'd like our games baxslash? I'm looking at having my game finished by or in December. I've got a lot of things going on at the moment.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2011 09:18
Quote: "BTW when is the latest you'd like our games baxslash? I'm looking at having my game finished by or in December. I've got a lot of things going on at the moment."

Lets aim for a new year release and see how we get on?

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2011 09:36
Quote: "Lets aim for a new year release and see how we get on?
"

Sounds good to me!

Oh and guess what it is or what happens on 17th Nov.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2011 09:44
Quote: "Oh and guess what it is or what happens on 17th Nov."

???

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2011 09:57
Check the first post of the original TGC ADG thread. Well that pretty much gave it away, it will be ADG's one year anniversary! We'll have to have a party!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2011 10:52
Wow, is it a year already? I guess that's round about a year since I joined AppUp too then. Time sure flies when you're working your a** off!

Well spotted. I think we have a subject for next month's article!

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2011 11:29
I believe the saying goes "Time sure flies when you're having fun" and it's certainly been a fun six months since I joined.

Quote: "Well spotted. I think we have a subject for next month's article!"

True. I feel like we need to do something special... does everybody own a copy of halo 1?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2011 11:37
Quote: "does everybody own a copy of halo 1?"

I'm afraid not...

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2011 15:46
Quote: "Oh and guess what it is or what happens on 17th Nov."

How did you know it's my birthday, Hodgey?

Quote: "it will be ADG's one year anniversary! We'll have to have a party!"

It's ADG's birthday too? Wooooow! Yeah, let's make it a superparty then.

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2011 15:48
Quote: "How did you know it's my birthday, Hodgey?"

Is it actually? That's awesome! We've got a few things planned which you can see in the DBP ADG thread.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2011 18:51
It's getting quiet around here, hopefully because everyone is working so hard...?

Anyway I've posted some code and media you might find useful (in case you haven't seen these threads yet):
Waypoint system (WIP)
Explosion Sprite-sheets from newsletter 46 made transparent for AGK

They might come in useful for this or other projects...

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2011 19:24
Quote: "It's getting quiet around here, hopefully because everyone is working so hard...?"

No need to panic, things are moving forwards. Slowly...but in the right direction.

Apologies to David Gervais, I still have to implement his fantastic graphics in full.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2011 20:20
That's epic Batvink! Nice work

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2011 00:19
Looking cool, Batvink.

How big is the size of the background image, Batvink? Did you try this on a netbook yet? Because there's an issue with images larger than 2048 on netbooks.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2011 14:24
Thanks for the comments.

The background is deceptively small. It scrolls at half the speed, and eventually I plan to make it seamless and simply scroll the UV coordinates to make it even smaller. I reckon with a featureless background (no buildings, trees etc) you can get away with a width of 1.5x the screen and fool the player.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2011 15:13
TheSlayer, that issue isn't just with netbooks I had it on my desktop which (although it's a bit old now) is much higher spec than my netbook.

Batvink, one of the things I love about AppGameKit is how inventive people seem to be getting with it! Sometimes when you are missing a command it makes you think 'how can I make something that does what "X" used to do in DBP?'

It's really inspiring!

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2011 22:31
Quote: "TheSlayer, that issue isn't just with netbooks I had it on my desktop which (although it's a bit old now) is much higher spec than my netbook."

Thanks for the heads up, baxslash. I guess it depends on the machine it's running on. Had no problem on my new desktop (Windows 7 64 bit).

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2011 06:29
Looking awesome BatVink, I like how it zooms in when the ship comes close to landing. That is clever!

Quote: "Sometimes when you are missing a command it makes you think 'how can I make something that does what "X" used to do in DBP?'"

One thing I do miss is the good old TEXT command but I'm sure creating text isn't too hard in AppGameKit, I haven't played with them yet.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2011 09:06
Quote: "One thing I do miss is the good old TEXT command but I'm sure creating text isn't too hard in AppGameKit, I haven't played with them yet. "

It's not so bad. You just have to get used to thinking of them more like sprites...

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2011 16:06
Quote: "Batvink, one of the things I love about AppGameKit is how inventive people seem to be getting with it! Sometimes when you are missing a command it makes you think 'how can I make something that does what "X" used to do in DBP?'"

I'm a bit obsessive with optimisation, it's my midrange programming background. I always assume I'm about to run out of processing time per frame.

It would be good to have a thread of "How do I achieve this with the limited command set?"

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2011 18:51
I'm just trying to fix a few bugs so I can finish my game off, then I'll be merging it into the menu project. Once that's done I'll try to add a bit more to the main project.

Any chance of an update from anyone that's still working on their project? If you don't want to post here just send me an email?

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2011 23:41
Unfortunately my project's on hold for now Steve, I'm in a very busy phase right now but that will end on Nov 10 and then I'll be able to focus on this project.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 02:38:59
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 02:38:59