Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / [AGK-Community Project] ADG Arcade!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2011 11:09
Quote: "Made me laugh, nice Feeling about 90% better so I'm only about 10% ill..."

Well laughter is the best medicine....aside from penicillin.

Glad to hear you're joining us Martin! Have you selected a prefix for all global variables, functions, constants etc?

Baxslash, while you're editing that list could you add The Slayer next to Radar Invaders since he has helped out heaps with its development? Thanks baxslash.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I noticed my game is not listed at the start, yet Martin who has just joined, is? No offence Martin, I'm glad your giving it a go as well. It's probably an oversight, but a good way to get duplicate games attempted (and to annoy me).
I stayed up till the early hours of the morning yesterday, rewriting it again as the odd bugs I had were annoying. It is now pretty much at the same point as the old version, except I have added a few extra touches. Still only about 60% through as yet, but with no annoying bugs(that I know of).

Try to fix the list, my names not Dan and it doesn't look like I will be coming in... ;p

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2011 18:28
Quote: "I noticed my game is not listed at the start, yet Martin who has just joined, is? No offence Martin, I'm glad your giving it a go as well. It's probably an oversight, but a good way to get duplicate games attempted (and to annoy me)."

It was an oversight, sorry. I thought I already added you. Ya name's Dan nah so ya can come in... ;P

Far as I can tell you arrived just after Josh Mooney and I try to add people in the order they arrive, I was going to promote you to the top of the list since you are a Sith Lord and I didn't want to annoy one of those (not after the last time... phew) but then I thought I didn't want people thinking they could get special treatment for being snotty so I decided against it.

Not that I'm saying you're being snotty ...well maybe a bit but rightly so. Soz DV!

The game looks awesome! Reminds me of so many lazy days on the spectrum

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2011 18:51 Edited at: 13th Sep 2011 19:23
No problems, I was more concerned that someone else would start the same game as me in all honesty, than having my avatar name listed lol. I actually only popped on to post my vid, but noticed the list was missing my game, and felt left out of the party.
I will call off the Nogri hunting team I may have accidentally ordered..

Edit - I was just checking the guidelines for code and such. I noticed that you want the virtual resolution at 480,320? Is this a new addition? I ask because I had it in my head you were using 320x480 and have coded to that res. It would be quite hard to change now, and also not really suit the games visuals, as it's long and tall rather than short and fat, if you take my meaning. The setup files res is not a problem, as it is just double the width of the one I am using and so just gives black borders.

Having no way of testing on a phone or tablet device,I'm not sure how AppGameKit handles rotating the screen on them, as 480,320 is the same as 320x480 on its side lol.

I was thinking of using FRG_ on all my variable names and such to keep them unique. Not used anything as yet as I thought it best to make sure someone else isn't already using it.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2011 19:08
Quote: "I will call off the Nogri hunting team I may have accidentally ordered.."

If they are from the Clan Tlakh'sar I'll be OK... otherwise I would have to kill them, that would be a shame.

Has your game got sound yet I haven't any speakers here so I'll have to find out tonight what it sounds like?

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
No sound yet, I'm not sure what to do for sound effects. I would like to use the proper jingles, as they work well, but obviously can't just find and use the originals. As this is something that will be released into the wild so to speak, I am not wanting to stir Konami's lawyers out of their nest. Although there has been more Frogger clones than I could imagine over the years.

I have to have a think about how to get some reasonable sound effects. I will also have to contact the slayer reasonably soon to see what he can do with the graphics as they still placeholders. Although the cars, logs and frog are by David Gervais off the free stuff thread he did ages ago, no Ricky Gervais, oh wait, I was right the first time..

Bursar
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I have to have a think about how to get some reasonable sound effects."

Have a quick Google for SFXR which can create 8 bit syle sound effects that you can use in your game.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2011 21:25
I posted a download for sfxr further up the thread somewhere...

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
I finally bought AppGameKit last night, going to start making this tower defense game now. I'm using some sprites from fruit wars to save time lol.

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2011 23:24
Quote: "since you are a Sith Lord"

DVader is a Sith Lord? *activates dual lightsabers* *In dramatic voice* "I'm sorry it has to end like this but I must bring balance to the forum".

@ Ashingda: Good to hear, I love tower defence games.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2011 00:46
Quote: "I finally bought AppGameKit last night, going to start making this tower defense game now. I'm using some sprites from fruit wars to save time lol."

Hi Ashinga 27, I'll add you to the list... this set of games is getting big

Quote: "DVader is a Sith Lord? *activates dual lightsabers* *In dramatic voice* "I'm sorry it has to end like this but I must bring balance to the forum"."

Don't worry, I have it on good authority that DVader himself will bring balance to the forum when he kills the Emperor, whoever that is around here. Not Lee I hope...

I just updated the download for Oblitinator including some better text, pickups (including Black-Holes and yes the Hodgey Nuke!) and a few bug fixes: Oblitinator!

Bursar
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "DVader is a Sith Lord? *activates dual lightsabers*"

In slightly related news...
I received my Star Wars boxset Bluray this morning, and it's got a limited edition film cell in it, and it's from the light saber fight between Anakin and Obi Wan at the end of Episode III. Very cool
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2011 00:53
Quote: "Don't worry, I have it on good authority that DVader himself will bring balance to the forum when he kills the Emperor, whoever that is around here. Not Lee I hope..."

I see...*deactivates dual lightsabers*. Well IanM boasts about having a "moon base" which I think is a cover up name for the Death Star.

Quote: "I just updated the download for Oblitinator including some better text, pickups (including Black-Holes and yes the Hodgey Nuke!) and a few bug fixes: Oblitinator!"

Yeeesssss, downloading now but I'll have to play it when I get home.

Quote: " this set of games is getting big "

I think we have about 10-11 depending on what Impetus73 is doing.

Bursar
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I just updated the download for Oblitinator including some better text, pickups (including Black-Holes and yes the Hodgey Nuke!) and a few bug fixes"

It plays really well now, but there's no real tactics to it, you just keep spamming the fire button.

In missile command you had to watch your shots as you only had limited ammo and the incoming missiles could take out your bases.

If you didn't want to limit ammo, how about some kind of counter to limit the maximum number of missiles the player can fire at one time, or maybe a 'heat gauge' that increases as the player fires, but slowly cools down. Once it reaches max, the player has to wait a second or two before being able to fire again. A power up could be created that instantly resets the heat gauge.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2011 01:24
Quote: "In missile command you had to watch your shots as you only had limited ammo and the incoming missiles could take out your bases."

I haven't added any ammo limits in yet at all, also I'm still trying to decide how to do the buildings so they are fully destructable. I want to do it using physics but it's not easy and my tests haven't worked very well.

Don't worry, I'm aware this still needs sorting out. I'm not sharing a finished game, just the progress as it happens to try to keep people motivated.

Quote: "If you didn't want to limit ammo, how about some kind of counter to limit the maximum number of missiles the player can fire at one time, or maybe a 'heat gauge' that increases as the player fires, but slowly cools down. Once it reaches max, the player has to wait a second or two before being able to fire again. A power up could be created that instantly resets the heat gauge."

That's a nice idea and I will use it for the laser weapon but I will definitely be limiting ammo on the missiles.

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Hi Ashinga 27, I'll add you to the list..."

@baxslash You have me on the list two times.

Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2011 06:27 Edited at: 14th Sep 2011 06:27
If anybody wants to do a "Lunar Lander" clone,
you can get a jump-start right here.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2011 10:35 Edited at: 14th Sep 2011 11:30
Quote: "You have me on the list two times."

LOL, I guess I'm a little too on the ball after upsetting Lord Vader...

Nice one Rich, just took a quick look. You give a nearly complete game out there for people to play with.

EDIT: @Deathead, I have made some temporary images for my 'pickups' but I would appreciate some of your pixelated magic if you have the time. I'm adding the vehicles in next

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
@baxslash Send them over. I'll see what I can do.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2011 11:24
Quote: "baxslash Send them over. I'll see what I can do."

Thanks Deathead, will do

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2011 17:53 Edited at: 15th Sep 2011 20:02
@bursar, thanks for the info I will check it out.
@baxslash if you put up a link to it earlier, I haven't seen it but it's a long thread
@hodgey, of course I'm a Sith , aren't we all? I chose AppGameKit because it was the quick and easy route lol.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2011 18:05
Quote: "baxslax"

Who is this person with such a similar name to mine, he must be alright ...or wait, are you giving my nickname a nickname?

Quote: "of course I'm a Sith , aren't we all? I chose AppGameKit because it was the quick and easy route lol."

I chose AppGameKit to broaden my knowledge and for its derivation from an attempt to bring harmony where there is chaos. Also its ideal to make game making simpler and less frustrating (thereby making game making a less frustrating process). These are just a few Jedi concepts I believe in: Knowledge, Serenity, Harmony, Peace.

Yeh, and I want to use it to make a quick buck...

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Oops sorry baxslash, a typo, that's typing too quick and not checking. Played your game earlier btw, very nice. Got a score over just over 1.1 million and had to leave it to answer the phone!
It crashed once but I didn't think to take note of the error message until I had closed it. It also went horrendously slow on one occasion, no idea why. Could be just my machine throwing a fit.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2011 20:39
Quote: "It crashed once but I didn't think to take note of the error message until I had closed it. It also went horrendously slow on one occasion, no idea why. Could be just my machine throwing a fit."

I've had the slow down thing a couple of times myself but no full crashes. If it happens again could you let me know?

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2011 12:31
Baxslash, I just had a go at Oblitinator and I love it, especially the "Hodgey Nuke"! I found one glitch however but it is an improbable one to come across. I fired a "Hodgey Nuke" just as a black hole was fading and the Hodgey Nuke was heading for the black hole but the black hole disappeared before it got there. The Hodgey Nuke was then stuck in a circular flight path for the rest of the game. I do love the Hodgey Nuke though, matching its significance in my game will be a challenge.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2011 12:39
I have had the same issue. I need to play around with the missile physics a bit... or the black hole... not sure at the moment but it's on my list, thanks

I'm posting the "Oblitinator" full media and source code for anyone who wants to see how messy my code can get

I normally spend a bit of time tidying my code up before I post it but I can't be bothered right now! I'm doing this just so anyone who's interested can see some of the conventions I'm trying out. There might be the odd handy function in there but I make no guarantees of quality... (attached).

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2011 13:34
Quote: "I'm posting the "Oblitinator" full media and source code for anyone who wants to see how messy my code can get"

Ahh It can't be too ba...phwhoah! Nahh, it's not that bad, I have seen and written worse.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2011 18:55
Can I reserve a spot for Lunar Lander? I see Rich has mentioned it above so he can have firsties on it if he wants to bring it into the pack. Otherwise I'll do my best to get it done. Missile Command was my first choice, but that was taken and done well a loooong time ago in this thread!

Rich, nice thread, and nice project to get it started. I have my own methods for creating this game, but otherwise it would have been a great starting point!

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I've tried the game a few times now baxslash, but haven't got the crash to occur again. The slow down I believe is caused by something in the Blackhole code. If I ignore them completley I never see the slowdown problem, although I couldn't be 100%, but it sure looks like it.
The error message was something like sprite doesn't exist or out of bounds but as I said, I had closed it before thinking, doh.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2011 21:34
Quote: "Can I reserve a spot for Lunar Lander? I see Rich has mentioned it above so he can have firsties on it if he wants to bring it into the pack. Otherwise I'll do my best to get it done."

Consider it reserved unless I hear otherwise from Rich but I got the impression he was offering it as an option here...

Quote: "I've tried the game a few times now baxslash, but haven't got the crash to occur again. The slow down I believe is caused by something in the Blackhole code. If I ignore them completley I never see the slowdown problem, although I couldn't be 100%, but it sure looks like it."

Thanks DVader! That helps narrow it down

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2011 00:53 Edited at: 17th Sep 2011 05:11
Eek! I have encountered the horrible major bug already!

I added in one final loadimage and a spritecollision command. Now it fails to compile
I can probably reduce a few things down, so I can hopefully still work with it, but it doesn't bode well for combining all the games at the moment Still that will be fixed I am sure.

Edit - Got it back and running by optimizing some code, so I can hopefully get it finished before I encounter it again I hope!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2011 13:35
Quote: "Edit - Got it back and running by optimizing some code, so I can hopefully get it finished before I encounter it again I hope!"

Glad to hear it but that bug is a major issue...

Quick request, if you are working on a game for this project can you post a screen shot and if possible a YouTube video for this month's newsletter article?

Thanks!

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2011 14:10
@ Baxslash: I seem to have hit the limit as well, my app just stops working. I could possible assemble a few sprites on a screen but the engine is going to have to wait for now. How big would you like the images?

@ The Slayer: I've isolated the problem (I think) to the _RI_LoadImages() function but no particular lines of code seem to cause it to crash. I'm fairly certain it's the length problem.

Well, anyone up for Tier 2?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2011 14:23 Edited at: 17th Sep 2011 14:27
Quote: "@ Baxslash: I seem to have hit the limit as well, my app just stops working. I could possible assemble a few sprites on a screen but the engine is going to have to wait for now. How big would you like the images? "

That's bad news... I can't be far from it myself!

Any size image is fine really but min 640*480 ish

Edit: maybe it's time to write a tier 1 to tier 2 translator...?

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2011 14:43 Edited at: 17th Sep 2011 15:23
Quote: "That's bad news... I can't be far from it myself!"

It's funny because I compared my code to yours (size wise) and yours has nearly double the lines and characters of mine yet mine crashes. I tried commenting out different LoadImage calls and it just crashed now and then but other times it would run.

Here is a screen shot with the newest graphics loaded into my DBPro version. The Slayer, those graphics are amazing! I can upload a DBPro demo as well if you like baxslash.

Attachments

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 17th Sep 2011 15:06
Quote: "@ The Slayer: I've isolated the problem (I think) to the _RI_LoadImages() function but no particular lines of code seem to cause it to crash. I'm fairly certain it's the length problem."

Hum, that sux.
They better get it fixed asap. But, your game hasn't reached the 'maximum lines of code', right? Yours is only around 750 lines of code.

Quote: "Well, anyone up for Tier 2?"

Does Tier 2 don't have this 'maximum lines of code' problem?

Quote: "Here is a screen shot with the newest graphics loaded into my DBPro version. The Slayer, those graphics are amazing!"

Glad you like them, Hodgey. The Slayer still looks kinda pixelized, but don't worry, I'll fix him for you.

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2011 15:22
Quote: "Does Tier 2 don't have this 'maximum lines of code' problem?"

I don't think it does.

Quote: "Glad you like them, Hodgey. The Slayer still looks kinda pixelized, but don't worry, I'll fix him for you."

That's what I get for using freeware software to join the images together. Just joined them using Corel Software and it looks a lot better. Thanks anyway The Slayer

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2011 16:13 Edited at: 17th Sep 2011 16:23
I've had to throw away half of my Lunar Lander notes; why? Because I keep finding that AppGameKit does half of it for me already! I was planning a Box2D editor enhancement to help me make my physics objects, then find that sprites can work themselves out!

You can add me to the list, I can see myself finishing this quite easily.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2011 16:37
Quote: "then find that sprites can work themselves out!"

It's pretty awesome alright!

Quote: "You can add me to the list, I can see myself finishing this quite easily."

Will do

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2011 01:55
I fixed Radar Invaders but may have stumbled across a bug in doing so. I had a typo when declaring an array and the result was I had an array of size 0 e.g array[0] and then tried to access array[1]. It appears though that with UDT arrays AppGameKit fails to tell you that you've gone out of bounds so be careful!

BTW baxslash, I think Mr_D is making a game as well but I'm not entirely sure...

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Radar invaders is looking good Hodgey. Looking forward to seeing it in action!

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2011 05:47
Thanks DVader, right now it looks great because what you see are all of The Slayer's graphics in there, I hope the game play will live up to the expectations.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Sounds good to me as he has offered to help with Froggit graphics

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2011 09:20
Quote: "I think Mr_D is making a game as well but I'm not entirely sure..."

If you're listening mr_d could you let me know?

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2011 13:12 Edited at: 18th Sep 2011 13:20
Quick progress update. I'm working on the original concepts for now, until I get it up and running, then I can see how much time I have to invest in tarting it up.

1. Scenery working - generated from a text file and 4 graphic elements
2. Ship in place and controlled by joystick
3. Physics in place including collision detection
4. Fuel@ and Speed monitors working

Next:

1. Landing pads
2. Scoring

If anyone spots any game standards I'm not keeping to let me know!

[EDITS]

@DVader: I like the progress on your Frogger game, it looks good. The frog jumping animation is slick.
My one comment would be that you can outrun the cars, should that be harder to do or impossible, at least in the fast lanes?

@Baxslash: Oblitinator is looking very polished. The particle trails are beautiful and I like the way the explosions canbe overlapped by some of the ground scenery.

Attachments

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2011 14:19
Looking pretty good BatVink!

Since baxslash has called for images for a newsletter article should an ADG Website article also be made and you can link to it in the newsletter? Just a suggestion

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2011 19:34 Edited at: 18th Sep 2011 19:39
@Batvink, the car traffic alters as you play and the traffic gets slowly faster as you progress. Apart from the occasional speedsters. Sometimes you can outrun the traffic, sometimes not. I am still tweaking that part, but the compiler bug has been slowing me down, I've had it, and got round it 3 times now, but I am pretty much done for if it happens again until it is fixed. I still have a snake, turtles and croc, highscore table, and possible other touches to add.

I like the look of your Lunar Lander, seems pretty close to the original from the screenie. The cliffs were a bit more detailed on the original, but that's nothing major. I wasn't a big player of Lunar Lander in the arcades, so couldn't give you any more pointers than that at the min. I include a screenshot of the original game for you to compare.

@The Slayer, I sent you a mail yesterday. Thought I'd better post here as well in case you miss it.

Edit - Actually, there are so many AppDevgroup threads it's hard to keep track now. Is this the best one to use, or the one in the AppGameKit forum? To message anyone about anything game related?

Attachments

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 18th Sep 2011 22:02
Quote: "@The Slayer, I sent you a mail yesterday. Thought I'd better post here as well in case you miss it."

Got it, read it, and send back a mail already including some new images. Hehehheh.

Quote: "Actually, there are so many AppDevgroup threads it's hard to keep track now. Is this the best one to use, or the one in the AppGameKit forum? To message anyone about anything game related?"

Hum, this one should be reserved for the App Developers Group Community Project (ADG Arcade) only. For more general questions, either the thread in the AppGameKit form, or the one in the Dark Basic Professional section, I think.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
@the Slayer, got it thanks and have sent a reply, cheers.
@baxslash, I will post an updated screenshot and a new video before the end of the month or do you need a lot earlier than that? If so I can use what I have, but I'm hoping there will be a few more graphics updated before I do a new video.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2011 11:18 Edited at: 19th Sep 2011 12:30
Quote: "Quick progress update. I'm working on the original concepts for now, until I get it up and running, then I can see how much time I have to invest in tarting it up."

Looking good Batvink!

Quote: "Oblitinator is looking very polished. The particle trails are beautiful and I like the way the explosions canbe overlapped by some of the ground scenery."

Thanks! That was unintentional actually, I hadn't noticed it

Quote: "Actually, there are so many AppDevgroup threads it's hard to keep track now. Is this the best one to use, or the one in the AppGameKit forum? To message anyone about anything game related?"

There are currently two ADG threads, one in DBP and one in AGK. I wouldn't want to exclude either area at the moment and although it's a pain in my own backside every time I have to update the first post (in both areas) I don't mind too much as both threads have brought a lot of new members in, the AppGameKit thread alone has brought in about/over half our member base already!

I'm hoping most of the questions and help can be streamlined in each of these threads specifically for the development platform the forum area represents, but still keep it as one 'group'...

This thread is purely for the ADG Arcade.

Quote: "I will post an updated screenshot and a new video before the end of the month or do you need a lot earlier than that? If so I can use what I have, but I'm hoping there will be a few more graphics updated before I do a new video."

No huge rush but I will give as much notice as possible when to get images posted by. For now lets say:

Newsletter Deadline
Screenshots / video links to be posted by 25th September.

I'll try to include as many as possible!

EDIT: Just to let you all know I contacted Birmingham Children's Hospital to get details of making donations and to let them know our intention to donate the proceeds from this game to the charity

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 23:49:36
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 23:49:36