Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / TGC beta forums - closed until further notice

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2014 13:54
Not talking about 'posting speed', rather the render speed

The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2014 13:58
I will take a look none of the images are optimised yet I will compress them all today and see what that does to help. Are you running on a reasonably spec machine and are their any threads that are especially slow to render so I can see if they may be causing the issue.

Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked\r\n\r\nView the beta TGC forum progress at the url below View beta forum
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2014 14:04
Quote: "Rendering is still super slow though.."

Not on mine... it seems to be just as fast as the old forum

Quick specs:

CPU: Core 2 Quad @ 2.83GHz
GPU: GTS 250 1GB
Ram: 3GB
Browser: Chrome

P.S. Can't tell you how pleased I am that smileies insert at the cursor

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 7th Feb 2014 15:17
Quote: "
The following reply was posted by Clonkex into Global Threads to a thread you are watching:
Quote: "Rendering is still super slow though.."
nnNot on mine... it seems to be just as fast as the old forum nnQuick specs:nnOS: Windows 7 x64nCPU: Core 2 Quad @ 2.83GHznGPU: GTS 250 1GBnRam: 3GBnBrowser: ChromennP.S. Can't tell you how pleased I am that smileies insert at the cursor
"

All escape sequencing broken, formatting in emails also dead...

Hello People!

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2014 21:17
I just got an invalid board error on the posting comp thread after posting. Sure it's my side but I'm reporting it just in case.

Formerly nonZero
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2014 05:38
If you have lots of instances of the same image on a page is it possible to load in one "master copy" and then use the same image for each instance on the page? Even better can you load a sprite sheet and cut out regions for separate images? I should Google this (or DuckDuckGo it)

Formerly OBese87.
Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2014 05:59
I got signed up for mailback as well after my last post. I have it disabled now. I'll see if it was successful

Ok, Jokes over, No more eye burn.
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2014 08:19
Quote: "If you have lots of instances of the same image on a page is it possible to load in one "master copy" and then use the same image for each instance on the page?"

Isn't this what browsers do by default when caching is enabled?

Formerly nonZero
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2014 08:23
Btw, still getting errors when I post. Am on mobile and using UC Browser so I think it's that.

Formerly nonZero
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2014 15:24
@nonZero

I will take a look for you

@Libervurto

As nonZero said that is the default action of a browser, the speed of the site actually has very little to do with the images, it is the backend that is slowing it all down right now.

Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked

View the beta TGC forum progress at the url below View beta forum
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2014 09:43
You are converting the new message posts the AJAX? Will that be optional? I'm not sure that's a good idea.

Senior Developer - CBS Interactive Music Group
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2014 12:52
Quote: "You are converting the new message posts the AJAX? Will that be optional? I'm not sure that's a good idea."

Just curious as to why you are of that opinion.

AJAX if implemented correctly is faster than doing a full page reload it also reduces the chance of you losing your post if there was an error.

It is also the first step in allowing me to detect if someone else has posted before you and to show you their post before you post, just in case you need to alter.

Gives a few benefits on this end It won't be spammy AJAX like some systems where every 10 seconds it does a refresh of all the data on the page.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2014 13:19
Wow, posting is really quick now, was that just from removing the mailback thing?

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2014 14:52
I did a little bit of tidying up, but the mailback thing is still in there so can get it faster.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2014 04:41
What is the reason for checking duplicate posts?: To avoid spam and accidental double posting?
If that is the case then wouldn't it be faster to, for each member, store a link to their most recent post and only check against that? This would also prevent people from creating duplicate threads -- well it would at least require them to make another post first, which is doubling the work for spammers. Is this a good idea?

Formerly OBese87.
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, I'm not sure there's an actual need for the duplicate post checks, especially if that is the culprit behind slow response times. New members are technically supposed to go through mod queue anyway, so any attempts at mass-spamming would be detected and prevented regardless.
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2014 05:41
I think it's very important to check against duplicate posts, or at least disable the "post message" button when it has been pressed once.
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2014 05:42
I think it's very important to check against duplicate posts, or at least disable the "post message" button when it has been pressed once...

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2014 05:58
I dunno, I would just incorporate a system that prevents a user from posting more than once in say, 15 seconds.

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2014 11:13
Please keep the anti-double-posting. It is useful for people using a browser like mine which uses a proxy to compress pages before sending them to my phone. Each time a post hangs too long, the server resends my form, causing multiple posts. I'm sure there are others using their phone a lot. Other reasons include:
Hijacked Accounts becoming spambots
Clever bot accounts which post the same thing in different words.
Old members losing their minds.

I'm sure there's a way to speed it up. Also, hope the change in code won't affect my browser but I do concede, before anyone throws it at me, that the needs of the many outweigh those of the few and I'm in the latter category.

Formerly nonZero
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2014 11:40
Quote: "It is useful for people using a browser like mine which uses a proxy to compress pages before sending them to my phone. Each time a post hangs too long, the server resends my form, causing multiple posts."

My idea of checking against only the last post, or DJD's idea of a "cool-down" timer would both solve that issue.

If someone posts a duplicate of a post from twenty pages back then... well who would care? And why would that ever happen?

Formerly OBese87.
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2014 12:13 Edited at: 10th Feb 2014 12:20
Most likely the double post detection will remain unchanged.

To give you all an idea of speeds, the average speed to check fro double posts in the Posting Comp for example is 0.07 seconds (not much). In comparison the current method used to send the mail back emails in the posting comp, which happens every time a user posts takes up to 2.7 seconds to complete.

This is because the way mailback is currently coded it makes a new process for each email it needs to send out and then returns back when done to complete the posting of the message. I worked out if everyone in the posting comp set to receive a notification email posting would take almost a minute.

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "To give you all an idea of speeds, the average speed to check fro double posts in the Posting Comp for example is 0.07 seconds (not much)."

Is this as fast as it can be? I think it's still quite slow if I'm completely honest. You could optimise it by hashing each posts (in it's lower case form) and checking against the hash rather than the actual - that should make it faster if that's not already how it works.

\r\nThey see me coding, they hating. http://indi-indicium.blogspot.co.uk/
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2014 19:31
I never thought the posting competition would turn out to be useful!

Formerly OBese87.
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
The ultimate forum benchmarking tool.

\r\nThey see me coding, they hating. http://indi-indicium.blogspot.co.uk/
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2014 20:42
I don't mind, so long as my money-saving browser doesn't duplicate my posts, tbh. I'm all for new methods to check for duplicate posts like those suggested but just as happy with the old. I will admit, though, it seems pointless to check any more than the last 2 - 5 posts back as it does seem unlikely a spammer would go to that much trouble of getting through moderation period and then cunningly posting three different posts in different patterns...or would they? *insert menacing musical melody* (pts for alliteration, plz).

Formerly nonZero
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2014 23:56
My cool down timer idea ought to be easy to implement, and IMO, would be just a better design practice overall. That or checking against the previous post which is also an excellent idea.

easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 11th Feb 2014 07:29
IDEA:

Can you please consider adding a new board to the app game kit section for users to post Example Code, Tutorials and Code Snipplets?
I think this would help new users a lot as well as get existing users to input more.

While on the subject, what about removing some of the existing boards as well?
Some of them haven't been posted in in over a year.

Just a thought.

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2014 10:34
There's a code snippets section on this site that deals in all code.A stickied thread on the halp section with linkies would prolly suffice.

Formerly nonZero
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2014 17:19
Why are my new thread titles starting with "undefined"?

Formerly OBese87.
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2014 17:27
Not sure for certain but I have a good idea what is to blame I will take a look.

On the subject of adding and removing boards this is something I have wanted to do for a while now and will be done by the community voting on a new layout.

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2014 20:02
I like the forums as they are. Maybe have a competitions board for all comps both internal and external and maybe have an archives board for things that aren't relevant.... I dunno, I only frequent GC right now and that's only really to have the occasional interesting discourse, do a little white-hat trolling and post spam in the posting comp...oh and this social experiment I've been doing but I'll be discussing the results later.

Formerly nonZero
Sparrowhawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2014 21:27
Can I suggest that any boards removed (because of non use) are locked and moved to an archive, some may contain useful information/etc., which may still be used just not posted on?

If we could instead simply have an archive maybe that would be a good solution.
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2014 12:23
If any boards are removed their posts will be rolled into another board so they can be accessed still. Either that or they will be searchable but not viewable from forum list.

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2014 15:32
I like the former idea out of The Next's two but I gotta be honest, Sparrowhawk's archive board has my number one vote. Great idea.

Here's another idea: All competitions both within and without the community have a dedicated board. Obviously this doea not include the Posting Comp or the Interesting Comp (should it keep being resurrected). I think a competitions board would help motivate some of us (like me) who used to actually be creative, talented young individuals with a million dreams that slowly crumbled thanks to this cynic paradise, leaving us with nothing but cheap whiskey and memories to haunt our intoxicated dreams.

Formerly nonZero
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2014 09:48
Get the following error when I open my profile:
"Warning: Your User ID is missing. Please login and try again"
Tried clearing browser cache, etc and logging in again but to no avail. UC Browser Mini v8.8.1.xxx running on Android ICS. Was working fine until now. Last night I couldn't access the site so maybe related.

Formerly a cat
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2014 22:47 Edited at: 14th Feb 2014 22:50
What if I will make my avatar 1GB size? It is external, so...

I mean doesn forum protected from traffic "pranks"?

All your TGC are belong to us.
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2014 23:08 Edited at: 14th Feb 2014 23:09
Error with my profile is fixed. Maybe browser.

@mr Handy: Good luck making an image that size. Only way I could think is maybe a gif as static formats are limited by dimensions, ie pixel count for bitmaps. Would be lots of effort.

Formerly a cat
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2014 23:15
Not as hard as you think just get a large zip file and set the extension as .jpg the browser will download the file all the same it just won't show it.

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2014 10:29
Really? I thought the browser read and checked the header once it downloaded the first kb. I'm surprised, reminds me of those 'somename.jpg.exe' viruses back in the day when 'hide file extensions' was popular on Windows. One of the many OS-Defaults I hate. I still find Windows to be flawed with regard to security, although I think that 7 is a massive improvement.

Formerly a cat
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2014 11:19
It does check the header of the file, unfortunately that is very easy to fake you can add extra data to the end of a a file without issues. It won't carry a a virus but the file size will be huge.

The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2014 17:19
Update for the forums so far today.

- Fixed the signature line break issue for replies.
- Messages now post in milliseconds in most cases you won't even see the loading message, this should speed up the forums a lot.
- Mailback has been updated considerably although most users won't see these changes.
- I have fixed a few styles issues.
- I have implemented the new attachments system but for the moment it is just for me, coming soon for you all to play with.

Few more coming later.

Sparrowhawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2014 17:26
The emails sent out from the forums have strange formatting,

Lots of extra n's e.g. "far today.nn- Fixed the"

Possibly every time there is a new line in the forum post.

Also the reply here link doesn't go to the last page of the thread, it goes to the first post on the first page, which as id be replying to the last post is slightly irritating, as it means I have to manually find the end of the thread each time there was a reply, not too bad, just a little time consuming, if there is a conversation going on and I link into it each time by email to post (quicker than manually finding the thread, but still slow)

Technically probably just me being picky though.
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2014 17:30
Quote: "The emails sent out from the forums have strange formatting,"

Let me know if that fixed it, it may have done, or it may have totally broken it.

Quote: "Also the reply here link doesn't go to the last page of the thread"

I also find this very annoying, I haven't had time to fix yet though it is on the list though.

Sparrowhawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2014 17:34 Edited at: 15th Feb 2014 17:35
Now it\'s \"\\n\\n\"

Glad to hear the linking thing is on the list

Attachments

Login to view attachments
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2014 17:36 Edited at: 15th Feb 2014 17:36
Strange I just got one from you formatted perfectly see below.

Quote: "Now it's "\n\n"

Glad to hear the linking thing is on the list "

Got a fix I think though.

The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2014 17:39
There how is this one?

New line