Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / NuclearGlory Collision System --- v2.01 has arrived!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2003 10:37 Edited at: 30th Nov 2003 10:40
Okay!

We've been several months in development to bring you a nice & complete collision system.

Complete details and download from: http://www.nuclearglory.com

And here are some screenies:

Here's a soldier, riding on a moving platform, with a laser sight on the wall.

The laser sight even works against the moving platforms.

A complete demo [the one above] with source is available from our website as well. This will help demonstrate some of the combined power of the system.

Be sure to check it out: http://www.nuclearglory.com

Any replies are welcome and appreciated.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Lead Programmer/Director
Powerful Collision DLL for DBPro: http://www.nuclearglory.com
D Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2003 11:56
That's really great .

God is real, unless declared integer.
RossageSausage
Years of Service
User Offline
OH MY GOD!!!!

I just visited the website and if its everything you promised you may take my 15 dollars and purchase the finest...er...beer!!! Hats off to you, i'm off to dl...later

RossageSausage
nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2003 19:17 Edited at: 1st Dec 2003 19:17
Thanks all

For anyone interested, the screens above are for the 2.01 version. So you must download the 2.01 demo from our website and give it a go. It comes with an example [the one above] and media.

If anyone has questions, feel free to ask.

Lead Programmer/Director
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 14:14
Does it support matrices I really want to use the DLL, but I dont want to use an object for my matrix (texture stretching on hills with a Y axis decal texture)

Wondering if it would work with a matrix for the ground, and use the DLL for buildings and curvy stuff, and people. If it doesnt work like that, could I edit it at all, or is it a .dll file that wouldnt be so easy to edit?

Thanks

RPGamer

Dont forget to Join the Forums!
nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 19:16 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2003 19:17
Hi RPGamer,

The DLL 'could' be made to support matrices. There is an AddTriangle() command that resides in the DLL, but DBPro can't support all of the parameters for it in the callDLL() function. Once I exceed a certain number of parameters it tells me that I must have a return value for an expression, lol. And it's already returning a value, so that doesn't work.

To handle matrices, a dummy object would have to be created to act as the position holder for the matrix (as the DLL can only support objects)... Then a function would have to be designed that went through the matrix and added all of the triangles (that make up the matrix) to the DLL.

So yes, it can be done. I would have to create a second build of the DLL so the parameters of the function needed to call aren't as numerous. Then it would work.

This is something I plan to add definitely for 2.02, as there have been numerous requests for matrix support.

If this is something you want, let me know, and I'll make a build and include file that can handle it for you.

Lead Programmer/Director
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2003 17:21
Tried your demo dll with game I'm writing that consists of hundreds of db primitives and am amazed with the speed. I was doing all sorts of complicated sliding stuff and can now scrap it all if I buy this dll.

One thing I can't see how to do, is rotate an object in my game loop and have it push the player. The collision stays in original place. Moving world objects seems ok as that pushes player quite happily but there appears no way to rotate.

I thought of deleting object from collision system and adding it in every loop, but there is no function to do that, only to deactivate and activate.

Tell me rotation is possible and my credit card comes out!

Boo!
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2003 20:07
I don't know if this is a bug or what. But, I was testing out a vehicle moving over a track built out of about 540 3D tiles. The program sucked up an amazing amount of windows resources and eventually ran out of virtual memory. Earlier versions of the track editor and game did not do that, so I suspect the NGC DLL. [No proof of where the resources are being gobbled up, yet.]

Because the tiles are composed of walls, ramps, dips, spires, etc., I used polygon level accuracy. The vehicle itself is composed of five collision spheres: one for the body and four for each tire.

Is it possible to over tax the system using such a set up?
--
TAZ

As an test, I switched the tiles out with eight modular terrain sections (X models.) They have a much higher poly count than the tile method, but I did not notice any killer memory problems.
nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
@spooky
Version 2.01 does not have rotation/scaling support. I will add that in the upgrade for v2.02. (All buyers get free upgrades)

So it WILL have rotation/scaling support.

And from all the feedback we've been getting, it sounds like an upgrade won't be far off.

@zircher
When it begins to eat up your resources, and you shut down the application, does your computer still suffer from resource loss? or does it return to normal speed when you shutdown your application?

How many polygons are each of those 3D tiles?

When I get some time to troubleshoot I'll do some tests with a tile setup and see if I can recreate the problem.

Lead Programmer/Director
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2003 00:19
It's the application. When I kill the app with the task manager, windows (WinXP Pro) starts releasing the resources and eventually returns to normal.

The poly count for each 3D tile is pretty low, averaging 32 to 64 polys each. The terrain modules are several thousand polys (think of a sandbox with walls, gates, and rolling terrain.) Connecting eight of those to make a level offered no serious drops in frame rate or available resources.
--
TAZ

Drop me a line if you want me to send you a 'problem child' build for testing.
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2003 16:29
Not to steal Nuke's thunder, but I was able to give them enough data to identify the problem and for them to fix it. Did I mention that they have great customer support?
--
TAZ
nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks a ton for the help

Lead Programmer/Director
RossageSausage
Years of Service
User Offline
I was just wondering, can this dll handle collision for a level that is made up of more than one .x file? I used the first edition of this dll (back when I was a complete noob so I probably am wrong) and I couldnt get it to do the collision for ex: empty room one .x file, and stairs added into it another .x file etc.
I could only get the last dll to recognize one of the files but not the other.
So finally my question does this new dll support multiple .x files (or did the last one do it and I just didnt get it right)

Thanx,
RossageSausage
nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes,

This new DLL supports multiple X files. So you can have a room and staircase as separate X models.

Our previous versions had problems handling multiple models at once, so you weren't missing anything

zircher above used a tile-based system and loaded 500+ models (as tiles) into the new DLL and it handles all of them without issue.

You can use the demo download from our website if you want to test it out. It's a full copy, the only limit is that it will quit responding after a few minutes every time you run your application.

Any other questions are welcome

Lead Programmer/Director
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2003 00:56
Just to run with that reply a bit, those tiles were not flat panels. They included trenches, ramps, dips, spires, bridges, etc.

As an alternate, I also created complex sandbox-like modules and interconnected them to make larger levels. Both methods used .X models to assemble the levels. The rooms featured high poly rolling hills, extruded mazes, and a play ground of ramps, bridges, tubes, and banked turns. A big perk to the latter method is that I can hide non-adjacent rooms/modules. This is similar to the Diablo map trick where they had semi-random dungeons with pre-generated sections.
--
TAZ
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2003 15:36
Im intrigued by the fact that all collision for everything and bullets and all can be handled - can I just ask would it be possible using the ray casting function to shoot a bullet, have it hit a wall, then hit a guy behind the wall?

ZEDWARE website coming soon... //END TRANSMISSION//
ZomBfied
Years of Service
User Offline
NuclearGlory, I have a question...

I couldn't seem to figure out what determines the height of a stair you can climb or the angle of a ramp you can climb before it won't let you.

I don't want my characters climbing too-steep of ramps because that would be cheating and I'd have to punnish them.

Thanks
nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2003 20:59 Edited at: 6th Dec 2003 21:01
@M00NSHiNE
Yes, this can be done, but would take 2 rays to be casted to do properly. You can look at our website in the tutorials section (there's a complete reference manual of commands there)

How I would handle it is:

And you could get the distance of intersect for each ray. So... you might want to lessen the damage of the bullet if it hit a wall first, and do special stuff like that

@ZomBfied
The height of the stair depends mainly on the size of the ellipsoid. It uses 'real' ellipsoid collision, so if the stair is more than half way up the side of the ellip, you won't be able to go over the edge without some vertical help. It also depends on if the "NO_GRAV" setting is used, so gravity doesn't fight you when you're trying to go over the edge of the stair.

The built-in settings for moving up a ramp are set to let gravity run its course once the Y normal becomes less than 0.3 for the surface. So the max angle is in the range of 63 degrees.

Now that you mention it, a command where the developer could set this parameter would be very beneficial. I've made a note to add it for the next release.

Thanks for the Q's.

Lead Programmer/Director
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2003 03:54
Thankyou, thats very helpful, glad to hear it can be done

Cheers

Arkheii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2003 00:39
Downloading the freeware now...

Unfortunately for both of us, I'm only DBC enhanced, so no $15 for you, no version 2 for me. Come to think of it, at least I'm not obliged to buy it lol.

Will probably post a commment after downloading, and after getting it to work.
nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2003 02:01 Edited at: 8th Dec 2003 02:02
@r_kabouter
We are bringing our latest version to the DBC platform.

In fact, we just completed our Blitz3D version, so the DBC version will more than likely come out by early next week.

A demo download for DBC (to test-drive it) will also be available, just like for the DBPro and Blitz3D versions.

All the best to you

Lead Programmer/Director
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2003 04:57
Nuclear Glory: A friend of mine helped me out with a greyscale generator so now I have a .x model of my landscape. Will be buying ASAP!!!

RPGamer

Arkheii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2003 07:07
I can see the potential in this, but I find it too difficult to use. Don't you have a command list, or something? All that you have in your site was the dbpro manual. Too bad...
nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
Greetings,

@r_kabouter
For version 1.5 there is not any online documentation. So it's a "learn-by-usage" tool.

The online docs for DBPro are for the latest version. Once we make a DBC package of our latest version their will be online docs for it as well.

Version 2 is a long long ways from version 1.5 - So the docs probably won't help at all. Version 1.5 was a release from a long time ago that was designed for simple integration with DBPro while still be compatible for Classic. It can only handle one mesh at a time, and it could be used to handle multiple collision spheres if wanted. It can also do gravity. But that's about the extent of it. That is one reason version 2 is a big announcement, it can do a lot more.

Hopefully you'll have better feelings about it all after test-running the DBC package we're working on.

In any case, all the best to you.

And... feel free to contact me if you need help with anything.

Lead Programmer/Director
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2003 10:57
What do you hope to put in future versions nuclearglory? Just curious

nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
We have a few things we're going to add for sure.

These include:

- A startup feature that requires a key to be passed in with the Start() function. This will make it more difficult for people to take the DLL from our buyers' projects, demos, etc... This one has a very high priority and may be released quickly.

- Dynamic Scaling/Rotation support

- Ability to set the steepness of slopes before the "NO_SLOPES" definitions etc... will let gravity take over.

- Some misc. stuff for thoroughness...

Then there's the wishlist, which includes:

- An Sphere-Intersect-Mesh function etc... that would work much like the ray commands only it would allow you to give the ray volume/depth/etc...

- Rigid Body Collision. This would be used for mesh-2-mesh collision, for things like cars, etc... This is something we would like to add but it may be a long ways off yet.

- Ability to test collision for one object at a time. (Advanced level ability for specialty uses)

- Advanced Optimization routines for further speed for users who are using the system heavily for special uses.

That about does it for now. I would personally take a lot of interest in the rigid-body system (in the wishlist), that would make for some very cool demos.

Lead Programmer/Director
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2003 14:11 Edited at: 8th Dec 2003 14:11
/me Thinks this should be sticked At least until Rich, Indi, TCA, Rob or Puffy say otherwise

Enjoy

RPGamer

M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2003 19:29
Aye, this is an important piece of DB.

Those features will be cool nuclear, I agree that the rigid body collision would be a great addition. My other two faves from your list are "A startup feature that requires a key to be passed in with the Start() function" and "Advanced Optimization routines for further speed". Speed is probably the most important thing when it comes to DBPro. Cant wait for some of these to be implemented. Thanks for answering my question

nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
@RPGamer
Hey, thanks a lot

Lead Programmer/Director
feiting
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2003 21:10 Edited at: 8th Dec 2003 21:14
someone on LLRGT asked if this is C++ compatible (DrakeX), since it's a DLL, shouldn't it already work with C++ and all the other langs? The only thing I can see is the stringtable for integrating the commands, which isn't necessary. I'm not a big fan of using IBasic for DirectX, but it would be neat to see.

Edit: Speaking of which, you might wanna think about it right now... I personally will stick with DarkBasic even after IBPro comes out, but yeah, if you're doing all the game languages, that one's coming.

He who does not take the assassin job, will get killed by one who does.
nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
@feiting
Ok cool, thanks for the forward info.

Yes, most of the DLL operates the same across the platforms, although there's a gap that must be filled for each language.

There's an include file to build for each language as the DLL needs a way to track where all of the objects are and their positions etc..., and this must communicate properly with the DLL.

When it came to Blitz3D it operates from an entity based system and doesn't allow the returning of entity handles from a DLL, so that had to be worked around and restructured.

Each language has its benefits and pitfalls. So, the DLL and package must be re-adjusted for proper integration with each platform.

Plus there are sometimes special circumstances to consider.

For instance, DBPro doesn't allow the return of raw floating point numbers, they have to be type-casted to DWORDs.

The C++ version will go deeper with documentation etc... so that the developer can tightly integrate it with their system. And quite possibly design their own include file for C++ to communicate with the DLL.

Lead Programmer/Director
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2003 00:57
I will most definately be buying this soon enough. Outstanding work NuclearGlory you have no idea the headaches you cured with this!.

"Any one for french fries n ketchup?"
DINAF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2003 02:10
hi all,
i'm italian,

i buy the ngc system and i think is very great.

my problem: use ngc whit bullet , hole.

help me please whit example grazie mille tanks !!!!!!!
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2003 02:51
Dinaf - Use the ray cast command and find where the ray hits the wall object and place a bullet hole plain there.

RPGamer

DINAF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2003 12:45
tanks !!!!!!! RPGamer

ok i test for use the ray cast command,

if not disturbed please example

grazie grazie mille !!!!!! (italian)
nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
Greetings,

Here's an example code:

You also want to look at the "3rd_shooter.dbpro" example that comes with your package. It uses the ray cast command to place the laser on the wall in front of the soldier.

Lead Programmer/Director
DINAF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2003 00:36
very tanks i use test now!!!!

in the future relese another tutorial?

for use the fantastic .dll

please for my english..

grazie grazie
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2003 18:48
I've got a potential problem for you. In my NGCollision.dba file around line 122 it says:

function StartCollisionDebugPRO() `Starts the debug system

I've found that a trailing comment like that can cause the parser to have a cow and report errors in mysterious ways. The fix is simple, either delete the comment or insert a colon ':' before the forward tick to force the parser to recognize the remark.

Inline commenting is handy, but DBP does not work quite the same way as Visual Basic. It treats the forward tick and REM as commands.

The parser does not always error out on this syntax. In several programs, I had no problems. But, when I added NGC to a large (4,000+) line program it blew up and reported the error about thirty lines before line 122. Just a little confusing...
--
TAZ
nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
Greetings,

Okay, we'll change that for the next release. So everyone gets a proper file.

Thanks again

Lead Programmer/Director
nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2003 19:32 Edited at: 13th Dec 2003 13:34
We just released the DBC version of the system.

You can download the demo from the website. Unfortunately, DBC could not load the media properly from the demo above, so we used the race track level (from the 1.5 version) and added some things

EDIT:
The latest DBPro patch (5.2) caused loading problems with our demo level. If you have previously downloaded the package and are experiencing these problems, we have put online an updated version of the level model:

http://www.nuclearglory.com/developer/NGColl/new_demo_level.zip

You may also download any of the packages again from our website. They have all been updated with the new level model.

Lead Programmer/Director
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2003 20:21
Hi nuclearglory, my DBPro trial expired a few weeks ago and i was wondering if theres any chance of you posting an exe version of the DBPro version, as I couldnt compile it myself. I already have all the media as I downloaded the zip containing the dba. If its not possible then dont worry - its not important, I just wanted to see the demo running thats all.

Cheers

nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
Someone had actually requested the same thing before, so it's already on our server.

The EXE is zipped at:
http://www.nuclearglory.com/developer/NGColl/3rd_shooter.zip

Let me know if you have any trouble with it

Lead Programmer/Director
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2003 10:54
Thankyou very much, Im at college now but Ill grab it when I get home - cheers

CPU
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2003 21:01
i have a question: When i was using the 1.5 version sometimes when i would get on top of a roof where i had made two plains come together to form a ridge sometimes it would bounce up and down when i wasn't moving, also sometimes in small cracks i would fall through although i had a radius larger than the crack. Are these things fixed in 2.01? the only other request i had was suport for an option to forgo sliding collision, in a fps/tps it gets kinda anoying to be sliding down a not so steep ramp when you just want to stand there and pick off enemys.

Cheers
CPU

Sparring - Loved by many, Pefected by few.
I'm going to live forever, or DIE IN THE ATTEMPT!!!"
>>>>> Check out my alienwhere progress in the W.I.P folder! <<<<
nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2003 06:26 Edited at: 30th Dec 2003 06:28
Yes, all those things have been fixed.

There are additional response methods so you no longer have to worry about sliding down slopes. There's even a new response method that will prevent you from sliding down slopes while allowing you to go up slopes without gravity fighting your uphill progress.

It works with custom gravity as well. So you need not use the gravity commands in the DLL for it to operate properly.

Lead Programmer/Director
AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2003 11:05
whats planned for the next release?

[P4 2.8C @ 3.03 with an 866mhz FSB:: MSI Neo-2LS running PAT:: 1gb Mushkin PC-3500 DDR High Perf level 2@ 2,2,2 :: ATI Radeon9800ProAIW :: 120Gb SeagateBarracuda 7,200RPM SATA HD :: Antec Plus1080AMG]
nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
Plans are for:

- Dynamic Rotation/Scale support
- A startup key system (for buyer security)
- Some minor mods in collision routines
- Ability to set slope steepness before the "downhill" responses will activate

Some DBPro 'issues' have forced us to go the long way around to do some of this, so it's delayed a bit.

Lead Programmer/Director
CPU
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 03:16
ok, another Q: how does the dll handel multiple meshes, ex. you give it several characters and there positions plus the level and several in the air elevators constantly moving would you just have to ask the dll once where to place the character and would it check for colision with all the inputed meshes? also how would it handel a racing type of game with for example loop the loops and things of that nature? (I've actualy made an entire game with the 1.5 version to do basic collision with the level and used entirely math collision for the rest) Thanks for your answers so far.

CPU

Sparring - Loved by many, Pefected by few.
I'm going to live forever, or DIE IN THE ATTEMPT!!!"
>>>>> Check out my alienwhere progress in the W.I.P folder! <<<<
nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
Multiple objects are handled automatically. You never have to call a command to tell the DLL where the objects are. It automatically "watches" all active objects and updates their collisions accordingly. So you can freely move objects around with proper collision. Your character would collide against all of its targets using the response methods you defined. Very powerful.

I've seen it used for racing games before, it works nice. Usually they stick a sphere at each corner of the vehicle and keep the vehicle constrained to the spheres after collision is updated, etc..

A race-track with loops should handle collision well. But you'll have to create your own gravity system to keep the objects on the track, lol.

Lead Programmer/Director
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2004 06:43
Quote: "I've seen it used for racing games before, it works nice. Usually they stick a sphere at each corner of the vehicle and keep the vehicle constrained to the spheres after collision is updated, etc.."

What exactly do you mean by this? I'm creating a racing simulation, and this bit interests me.

BatVink (formerly StevieVee)
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-29 15:54:17
Your offset time is: 2024-05-29 15:54:17