Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK 2 Official Development Blog

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2014 01:01
Quote: "12th May
Implemented a new variable handler that should be able to deal with the various scopes (global, local, and function local). The parser can now recognise all the possible variable declarations, including old DIM style arrays and new array declarations of the form "myArray as integer[5]", type declarations, and default values for basic data types (integer, float, string + arrays). It can also now parse expressions like "a = 5+func()*b[5]" checking that every function, array, or variable is properly defined. Still to do is parsing conditionals and loops, and handling local variables inside functions."

Yay for parser fixes!

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2014 11:13
Quote: "Yay for parser fixes!"

It's going to be nice starting on a new project after RTA.

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2014 06:37 Edited at: 16th May 2014 06:39
Quote: "I have built and run the player on iOS and Android, albeit briefly, what problems are you having exactly? Does the Android player in AGK/Players/Android work?"

@Paul, the included Android player runs but I had no success with the V2 demos (i.e., Render To Image), have only tested on Kindle Fire HDX so far. It throws a blank screen if anything when I run the V2 samples.

I cannot get the iOS one to build at all (interpeter_ios), it throws 193 errors, for instance:

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2014 22:37
Can we please please please get a GetDPI function? It's so hard to design good UI without it!

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2014 23:58
It's a very difficult problem. See this just for Windows from MSDN:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms701681(v=vs.85).aspx

It's a nightmare. Amazon has outdone Apple's iPad4 and the KFHD with the KF HDX display. But they are about the same physical dimensions.

What we really need is not easily available. We need (from the manufacturers' API) the display dimensions and the H and V pixel count, and then the DPI.

I don't see any one-stop solution for AppGameKit or anything else until the information is available at run-time.

-- Jim - When is there going to be a release?
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2014 00:08 Edited at: 21st May 2014 00:23
Android has a method for it built in:
http://developer.android.com/reference/android/util/DisplayMetrics.html

EDIT: found a solution for iOS
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12589198/how-to-read-the-physical-screen-size-of-osx

EDIT 2: I could care less about Windows/Mac. I don't need to worry about making buttons big enough to be pressed on Windows as the pointer is very small.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2014 20:04
I have noticed that pressing Alt now pauses the game and when you then press the arrow keys you can open up a Windows menu. I don't think this has always been the case. I am using Alpha 3. This should be fixed as it potentially ruins games.

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2014 20:50
@ DA - you're right - 10821 the alt key does nothing, just like I'd hope in a game

xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2014 02:34
We are about to June.
No news of AppGameKit V2.

TGC is working on the FPS software, as i receive always news about it.
I don't agree!!!

TGC wake up please, you are going to destroy what you done in the past.

Long life to Steve!
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2014 09:50
xGEKKOx:
Look around.

Kickstarter update

Quote: "19th May
Added code to validate function calls matching parameter count and types for AppGameKit commands and user functions. Added more expression rules for types and arrays so it can now parse expressions like;
"mytype.x = othertype.arrayoftypes[a].somevalue"

Arrays can be resized with "array.length = myType.num + 5".

At this point we started testing the bytecode output and realised it would also have to handle type casting so expressions like "a = 6.5" would function correctly if "a" is defined as an integer and promoting integers to floats in mixed expressions like "6.5 + 7" producing a float result. The changes to support this are nearly done. After which testing can resume to see if anything else comes up."

xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2014 03:12
I don't code in Tier 1.
For me is useless.

I want to see Tier 2 updates.
I want the HTTP for Android fix

Long life to Steve!
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
i think the http timeout also effects t1.
don't know why they don't tackle these simple fixes
fog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2014 14:44
Quote: "i think the http timeout also effects t1.
don't know why they don't tackle these simple fixes "

Well several of their different iOS and Android Driving Test Theory Apps were updated this month and these things don't write themselves

@TGC
Can we at least have a simple list of what V2 features are planned and which you think are complete and working now? I'd rather not update to V2 and potentially introduce new problems if the features I want aren't stable yet.

Thanks

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2014 15:12
Quote: "
23rd May
This week Paul has finished the expression type casting work. So now it can also handle AppGameKit commands that have multiple compatible types. For example Str(int) and Str(float) would take Str(6) as an integer, where as Update(float) would take Update(6) as a float.

Paul has now moved on to function parsing which handles local variables and arrays. These are now placed on the stack instead of in global storage, and passing arrays and types by reference so that modifying their contents affects the original copy or passing by value so any changes remain inside the function” So basically variable handling is really working well.

We know the Compiler and Interpreter work has been going on for some time now but we're through the hardest part and should be looking to release a new Alpha in June for you all to start playing around with. Thanks for your patience!
"

Weeee

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2014 23:07
Quote: "I don't code in Tier 1.
For me is useless.

I want to see Tier 2 updates.
I want the HTTP for Android fix"

But not everyone uses T2 and a big part of the kickstarter is the improvements to T1. Just because TGC arn't working on the code you want doesn't mean that they aren't working on AGK.

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2014 18:53
I think i do faster to code an activity in Android to use JNI for my HTTP.
Anyway i don't understand why i'm the only one to use Tier 2, is absurd.

I can't believe all of you code for hobby!!

Long life to Steve!
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2014 19:08
http://www.helloandroid.com/tutorials/connecting-mysql-database
It looks like about 50 lines of code in a java activity and class to do this. There are some examples in the forum on how to do callbacks from NDK.

apocolyp4
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2014 16:03 Edited at: 26th May 2014 16:04
xGEKKOx its good that you use tier 2 (I use it in some of my work) but saying that tier 1 users are just hobbyists because of the development tier is a bit elitist. It doesn't matter what tools someone use its how they use them that counts. Tier 1 has its advantages over tier 2, such as the broadcasting function which is great for testing on multiple devices, and the ability to quickly create builds for different platforms with little work needed (once you know what your doing). There are some great examples of complex games made using tier 1 such as Eat drink slay, Rush to Adventure (I think), and my own games Neon Prime and Zombie Hangover 82 mobile. Tier 1 is far from perfect, and overall tier 2 is superior, but it takes a lot longer to develop on multiple platforms which can be costly for small developers like myself.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
if TGC would release proper players with every AppGameKit versions, then that would be true with T1, but until that happens T2 deployment works better
IronGiant
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2014 18:25 Edited at: 26th May 2014 20:00
Yea gotta give a shout out to tier 1!!!. Go Tier 1 !!!

it's the reason I bought AGK. And I'm both a hobbyist and a programmer.
I even sold a game, a long while ago , in another language, but hey it sold , so I consider myself a true programmer.

I like Tier 1's easy of use and fast compile time. and the fact most games I've seen written in it run fast as hell.

I'm working on my first AppGameKit tier 1 Game now , after a few years of coding in other languages.

And I have to say, its refreshing to just code, in Basic (AGK tier 1), see what I've changed and then move on, not having to worry about linking, libraries and all that.

And if they wanted, I'm sure TGC can make the compiler for tier 1 even faster to almost match that of using tier 2 and C or Java, or Pascal.

If I went for coding in tier 2, I might as well just get out Eclipse, and start programming in Java again. No thank you!
Too much like work, and we all know "work" is a four letter word!,... j/k
I'll stay with tier 1 thank you very much. If TGC ever stopped producing tier 1, I'd stop using AGK's new versions. its just that simple.

Too each his own thou, if you enjoy tier 2 and all the work involved, so be it,.. go for it dude!, and I'm happy for you to be so happy for using it. Its your right as a programmer to use whatever god given language you see fit to code in.

Just don't think I'm a hobbyist because I use tier 1,

I just don't believe in pulling a cart myself when I can get a horse (tier 1) to do it for me.

That is all! , now back to your regularly scheduled programming!.

Peace out y'all

It's Bird! , It's Plane!, No its a rocket powered Squirrel holding some acorns and a smile!
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2014 18:55
Yes but the problem is not the Tier 1 or Tier 2.
The problem is investing and EARNING.

If TGC make fix and updates only for users that don't sell and don't earn, is useless.
I don't understand why TGC don't grow up the team, to help who, like me, have a bigger business.

A user like me is forced to switch to another engine, and this for TGC is a defeat!!!
TGC must support Tier 2 more, to attract new bigger investor.

This is the only way to grow up, and earn, and enlarge the team and go on.

Long life to Steve!
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't think any medium sized game company will use AppGameKit for any real world production work. not because its not good, but because having to depend entirely on TGC has proved to be a bit of a hit and miss over the past years.

AGK is good for you and me, small teams of 2-3 people who do apps on the side. Gekko is the exception here, he seems to be the only one who is making a decent living with apps
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Question: Why is there so much work done lately regarding parsing and compiling? Looks like they have redone everything.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
yes they are redoing the compiler and ide system for T1 from scratch as AGKv1 compiler was based around a version of the darkbasic one, and was limited
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2014 22:49
Paul also didn't have full understanding of the compiler before. That's why he can't fix all the bugs in the old compiler. This needs to be done for AppGameKit to move forward. And it's a lot of work. I think coding in AppGameKit T1 is going to be awesome when both the compiler and the IDE are done.

Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2014 01:02
Quote: "...and passing arrays and types by reference"

great

AGK 108 (B)19 : Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit : AMD Radeon HD 6670
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2014 03:15
Quick question for Paul:

What tool did you create the chapel object (the obj file itself, rather than the model) with in the v2 demo?
I mean, the tools I have convert an obj file twice that size for the same model, so I'm interested in the obj filesize here.

I've been using the asimp lib tools for converting my lightwave models, but have tried a lot of others too. However, some of the obj files are 20x the size of my original LWO models yet seem very bloated.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
lightwave .obj are generally very small in fileseize as they contain just the barebones with no anim info, etc...
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2014 14:56
I can only focus on one thing at a time and currently that is to bring tier 1 up to a suitable level, which will allow us to add a debugger that tier 2 users can take for granted. We will get back to features that affect tier 2 soon enough, please be patient with us.

Quote: "What tool did you create the chapel object"

I got it off Turbosquid, it was a free model.

Quote: "release proper players with every AppGameKit versions"

I thought I had but maybe I didn't test them enough. I shall give them another check before the next version.
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2014 15:43
@Paul,
about players , i like to see v108.x and v2.x in google play.

AGK 108 (B)19 : Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit : AMD Radeon HD 6670
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Would be great to have sprite blending modes that allowed you to use a sprite to...

1. Hide other sprites - Where the sprite overlaps other sprites, the others are hidden.
2. Show other sprites - Only where the sprite overlaps others sprites, do they show.

All based on grey-scale rather than on/off.

So many things you could do with those two blend modes alone!
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2014 11:08
I just pledged my support of AGK2!

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2014 11:55
Quote: "Would be great to have sprite blending modes that allowed you to use a sprite to...

1. Hide other sprites - Where the sprite overlaps other sprites, the others are hidden.
2. Show other sprites - Only where the sprite overlaps others sprites, do they show.

All based on grey-scale rather than on/off.

So many things you could do with those two blend modes alone! "

Yeah, those would be awesome!

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2014 15:47
Paul:
Have you fixed this bug for next alpha?
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=211250&b=41

And when do we get the next blog update?

JohnnyMeek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2014 09:29
Where's the updates? - 2 weeks without any news.
fog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2014 13:00
Or the proper blog we were told was coming 3 months ago?

Just looking at the latest newsletter and seeing the different treatment AppGameKit and FPSC are getting it's obvious where priorities lie.

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2014 13:40
I think the newsletter constitutes "news"!

-- Jim - When is there going to be a release?
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
@Fog, unfortunately as time goes by, TGC keep on loosing user after user. Other SDKs are improving every month, whilst TGC keep on playing the same game since the darkbasic days
JohnnyMeek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2014 15:11
Quote: "I think the newsletter constitutes "news"!"

The AppGameKit news in the newsletter is 2 weeks old. I'm actually reaching the point that I don't care. I'll finish my current projects in AppGameKit, but I've already started using Unity. I love the store and the ready access to every extension and plugin I could possibly need to make a professional game.
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Just looking at the latest newsletter and seeing the different treatment AppGameKit and FPSC are getting it's obvious where priorities lie."

Not to mention FPSC:R has its own WEEKLY newsletter chock full of updates, and Lee Bamber has been posting highly detailed daily blog updates about the FPSC:R dev progress for 1.5 years now.

From the time AppGameKit V2 was funded 10 MONTHS AGO until now, we have received but a few paragraphs of news about its progress and a few broken alpha builds months ago.

On May 10, Rick told disgruntled AppGameKit users on Facebook: "Hi, I'm hearing you all loud and clear and I'll raise this as a key item in our Monday monthly meeting. We'll work to improve the communication on AGK2 I promise you." But there has been literally no change in communication since then. This is what I find so frustrating about holding out any hope for AppGameKit, I have a few projects I've been waiting to develop with AppGameKit for a couple of years due to lack of promised features.

It's sadder still because AppGameKit V2 had more than DOOUBLE the number of backers on Kickstarter and raised $15,265 more than the failed FPSC:R Kickstarter did... You'd just think it would be more promoted. I also have UDK, Unity and other frameworks but have stuck by TGC since the beta days of DB Classic so would like AppGameKit to succeed.
Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2014 22:00
While I agree the news is rather patchy for v2, i think we just need to be patient. It seems what is being worked on is fairly fundamental so it's probably throwing up all sorts of bugs and problems.

I am worried that v1 will probably be defunct before v2 is ready, in terms of AdMob, Facebook and Google services, but TGC may patch it if v2 is going to be severely delayed.

SamKM
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey guys, just thought I should say, the June newsletter IS out... I guess they haven't got around to updating the forums yet
http://www.thegamecreators.com/pages/newsletters/newsletter_issue_136.html
Looks like there's gonna be a new alpha in June

The code never bothered me anyway...
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2014 13:26
Quote: "Looks like there's gonna be a new alpha in June"

That was mentioned on the Kickstarter page 2 weeks ago.

SamKM
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry about that, I don't actually use AppGameKit myself so I don't keep up with the news much :/

The code never bothered me anyway...
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
unfortunately the newsletter does not bring any new news on AGK. the AppGameKit section is a copy&paste of the updates on this thread.

newsletter seems to be all about FPSCR...
Alien Menace
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2014 18:38
It's been 15 days without an update. I thought this was suppose to be a daily progress blog after the past "issues" we have had with the progress of AppGameKit 2 development?

Apps published: 4
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah... The promised "daily progress of App Game Kit 2 Development" rapidly became the "weekly" progress and now appears to be the monthly progress, if that.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
maybe daily is too much, but posting 4 lines of new of what is going on every 3 days and releasing an alpha with fixes every 2-3 weeks is the only way to go to keep users happy.

i think anyone who was thinking of using agk for pro paid work has long fled to other solutions now
fog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2014 19:52
Well the last time it went quiet we eventually found out that Paul had been working on the Driving Test Apps and not AppGameKit at all.

Guess what, new versions of the Driving Test Apps were released yesterday. Read into that what you want.

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2014 20:37
Let's face it, we're never going to get regular updates for this software. But so what! things do seem to be happening,albeit slowly. As the people at Guinness say ; good things come to those who wait.

So what if AppGameKit is clearly not TGC's priority and FPSC-R gets all the attention, Agk isn't as sexy as FPSCR. But if FPSCR does well then TGC does well, then AppGameKit will benefit. Simples.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 00:05:54
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 00:05:54