Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK 2.0 Alpha 4

Author
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2014 02:25
Quote: "i dont see the ouya template once again"

I just installed it to check and I get a "interpreter_ouya_lite" project in the IDE/apps folder. If you mean for Tier 2 then you're right, I never thought about doing a template for it as well. I'll throw one together for the next update, or if you like a challenge you could try combining the template_android_lite project with the interpreter_ouya_lite project, just copy the "src" folder and manifest file from the ouya one into the template one and remove the dependence on the google-play-services project, and see what happens.

Quote: "Numbers were always the same color as comments?"

They were on mine, but maybe it was me that changed it long ago and I got used to it, who knows. Ideally this would be easily changeable in Geany but I never researched it enough.

Quote: "FireFox as that is what Paul uses"

Chrome I'm afraid
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 13th Aug 2014 02:59
Someone set Firefox as the default browser... Makes no sense...

Ranietz
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2014 04:52 Edited at: 13th Aug 2014 04:53
I've now tried the new IDE and found a couple of minor bugs.

1. If I click on "open file" or "open project" and move the dialog box that pops up the old location of the dialog box wont be erased and so it looks if I have several dialog boxes open.

2. In the panel on the left under "Symbols", arrays will appear under "Variables" (that's ok), but multidimensional arrays will not be displayed correct. An array like array[1,2,3] will appear as array[1 (missing all but the first dimension).

And a small request: is it possible to get my own function names to be colorized in the code?
IronGiant
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2014 05:44
Love the new IDE, the code folding , the list of Symbols, all the options.

Have found a bug, I think , having to do with making an array of types. but do not wanna post code about it till I've tried a few things with it first.

Thanks Paul and anyone else that helped with this new update. cool as penguin crap indeed.

In other words, it's great!

Now off to code/play.

It's Bird! , It's Plane!, No its a rocket powered Squirrel holding some acorns and a smile!
Alien Menace
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2014 06:05 Edited at: 13th Aug 2014 06:21
I tried opening the full screen bloom shader project. The code shows in the ide as main.agk. Pressing compile does nothing.

Duh. I tried loading a project from "File>Open File" instead of from the proper place under "Project". Any chance the "Project" menu item could be moved over by file? Seems out of place to me there in the middle.

Apps published: 4
29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2014 14:30
By the gods, Avast is a being a pain in the neck about this. It blocked the download, blocked the installation (it did the same thing with The Escape demo from FPSC Reloaded) and it doesn't like it when I try to run my AppGameKit programs.

But I got there in the end.

Very impressed with this so far (still getting used to it though). It picked up a few errors in my code that I didn't know existed and actually reported back the correct line numbers, which was cool. I was also very impressed with the speed it compiled my code. Very fast.

Once I sorted the errors out, my code ran perfectly, which includes toon shader and full screen bloom shader so I'm very happy.

I agree with Alien Menace about the location of the "project drop down", it took a bit of searching to figure out what to do. But I suspect that I'll get used to it.

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2014 15:20
I checked the download with Malwarebytes and it had no issues.

-- Jim - When is there going to be a release?
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2014 17:15
Quote: "If I click on "open file" or "open project" and move the dialog box that pops up the old location of the dialog box wont be erased"

I can't replicate this, what version of Windows are you using?

Quote: "multidimensional arrays will not be displayed correct. An array like array[1,2,3] will appear as array[1"

Fixed, thanks.

Quote: "Any chance the "Project" menu item could be moved over by file?"

Good idea, I've moved it to be the first menu item.
Ranietz
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2014 18:30
Quote: "Quote: "If I click on "open file" or "open project" and move the dialog box that pops up the old location of the dialog box wont be erased"

I can't replicate this, what version of Windows are you using?"

I'm using Windows Vista. I found out if I enable the Windows Aero look (or what ever it's called) the bug goes away. So the bug only appear when not using the Windows Aero look (maybe I'm one of the few who doesn't use Aero ). Anyway, it's not a big deal for me at least.
29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2014 18:45
Quote: "I checked the download with Malwarebytes and it had no issues."

It's a problem with Avast and not AppGameKit (My Valentine's link has the explanation). If I have the Avast shields on, every time I run AppGameKit it blocks it then deletes / moves the compiler. It really is quite frustrating.

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2014 18:55
Quote: "I found out if I enable the Windows Aero look (or what ever it's called) the bug goes away."

I see, I managed to replicate it like that. I can't see a way to fix it whilst still using the Windows native dialogs, but in Edit->Preferences in General->Miscellaneous there is an option to turn off native dialogs, which seems to work better. Although this way you'll have to get used to the IDE's own file chooser dialogs.

Quote: "If I have the Avast shields on, every time I run AppGameKit it blocks it then deletes / moves the compiler. It really is quite frustrating."

Is there a way to report it to Avast as a false positive?
Ranietz
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2014 19:06
Quote: "I see, I managed to replicate it like that. I can't see a way to fix it whilst still using the Windows native dialogs, but in Edit->Preferences in General->Miscellaneous there is an option to turn off native dialogs, which seems to work better. Although this way you'll have to get used to the IDE's own file chooser dialogs."

No problem. It's just a minor graphical bug that doesn't matter much, especially now that we have a couple of workarounds. Thanks for looking in to it.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2014 20:31
The online APK builder has been updated to support 2.0 Alpha 4 builds (2.0.4)
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2014 21:41
Quote: "The online APK builder has been updated to support 2.0 Alpha 4 builds (2.0.4) "

Ouya too?

29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2014 21:43
Fantastic news about the online APK builder.

Quote: "Is there a way to report it to Avast as a false positive?"

Yes and I have, but it's not just AppGameKit, it's a lot of other software too (including the FPSC Reloaded demo The Escape). In the mean time, I added AppGameKit to a list of exclusions so it's all good now.

Anyway, I feel like V2 is really cooking on gas now!

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2014 22:28
Quote: "Ouya too?"

Yes
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2014 22:32
Quote: "Yes "

Awesome, will try it tomorrow.

Tone Dialer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2014 00:39
Hi Paul,

Panda AV complains that AppGameKit-V2-Alpha4.exe is suspicious when I execute it, the AV then moves it to Quarantine and reboots my PC to clear it.
Alpha3 did not have this problem. Do you get any AV warnings?

Thank you for all you work on AppGameKit and V2.

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2014 01:29
I use F-Secure and haven't had any trouble with it. AppGameKit has changed a lot between Alpha 3 and Alpha 4, there is more inter-process communication between the IDE, compiler, and broadcaster, and it adds file associations for .agk and .agc files, so maybe some of that looks suspicious.
Tone Dialer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2014 09:44
Thanks Paul,

I told PandaAV all was well, it restored the executable and I installed V2Alpha4 just fine.
I like the new IDE, used the Project import feature, it works well.

Pressing F1 on a keyword currently just brings up the IDE/help/home page, what are the plans for this? will it eventually link to the individual help pages, as before?
Are you looking for more help examples? what is the best way to submit them?

CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2014 10:11
Wow! Compiler speed is immense!

Just a tiny thing: I noticed a REM on its own is coloured black, and with text after it is coloured green. I'd prefer to see them all green.

Great work Paul!

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2014 15:12
Quote: "Pressing F1 on a keyword currently just brings up the IDE/help/home page"

Yeah, I need to look at that and see if I can get the current command from the editor window.

Quote: "I noticed a REM on its own is coloured black, and with text after it is coloured green."

Fixed.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2014 15:45 Edited at: 14th Aug 2014 16:29
Paul, are you updating the documentation on the website first or the accompanying documentation? or both at the same time?

EDIT

Interesting thing, AppGameKit has 1121 commands, DBPro has 1269 [Not including ODE and Advanced Terrain or any other command sets I am unaware of]

Would really appreciate some help on the documentation for AT and ODE

Wilf
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2014 16:53
Paul, any chance you can re-enable APK creation for AppGameKit v2.0 on the website? Builds made for 2.0.4 don't work with the old alpha.

Twitter: @itanican
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2014 17:08
Quote: "are you updating the documentation on the website first or the accompanying documentation?"

Currently the documentation provided in the download is the most up to date

Quote: " any chance you can re-enable APK creation for AppGameKit v2.0 on the website?"

Done
Wilf
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2014 17:17
Thank you sir!

Twitter: @itanican
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2014 21:28
Quote: "Currently the documentation provided in the download is the most up to date"

Thank You Paul!

shadey
Years of Service
User Offline
seems the link for the agk 2 beta 4 is down on my products page?!

Hail to the king, baby!
http://davidjohnwheeler.blogspot.co.uk
shadey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2014 21:47 Edited at: 14th Aug 2014 21:52
seems the link for the agk 2 beta 4 is down on my products page?! It did start downloading earlier but failed, sorry for the double post,never noticed a page ..

Hail to the king, baby!
unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2014 22:35
shadey: Check what's going on with any anti-virus you might have running. People have been reporting that some anti-virus programs are blocking the Alpha4 download...
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2014 22:39 Edited at: 14th Aug 2014 22:47
Just downloaded and installed.

So weird to have the projects in a separate menu and not part of the file menu. Also, wouldn't it be more useful to have the new and open buttons be for projects and not separate files? I get why people are confused.

I have noticed that the run button now compiles the project. I would really like to have it not broadcast but instead have a separate broadcast button. Even better if it can broadcast without running. Usually you want either and not both at the same time, right? Also noticed that there are options to turn either on or off but separate buttons seems more practical.

Minor issue, but the icon that appears in the task bar is very low-res. I otherwise like the new square-ish look.

Also, I would love a list of all functions in the project, not just the ones in the current file.

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2014 23:43
Quote: "So weird to have the projects in a separate menu and not part of the file menu"

Yeah, Geany came with it and it sort of grew on me when I realised we might be expanding it with "Export to APK", and hopefully other platforms. I've moved the menu item closer to the Files menu to make it more obvious but I think it might need a few more iterations yet.

Quote: "wouldn't it be more useful to have the new and open buttons be for projects and not separate files?"

Good idea, I've modified it for the next version.

Quote: "I would really like to have it not broadcast but instead have a separate broadcast button. Even better if it can broadcast without running. Usually you want either and not both at the same time, right? Also noticed that there are options to turn either on or off but separate buttons seems more practical."

As you said there are options to make the run button do what you want. At first I was going to go with separate buttons for Run, Broadcast, and Run + Broadcast, but figured this way might be better. I see what people think.

Quote: "the icon that appears in the task bar is very low-res"

That's just me grabbing the only square icon I could find. Rick is sorting out a new icon.

Quote: "I would love a list of all functions in the project, not just the ones in the current file."

Me too, unfortunately the IDE came that way and I didn't want to mess with it too much, maybe at some point in the the future we can do that.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2014 23:55 Edited at: 14th Aug 2014 23:56
Just realized I made the whole post without a single positive remark. Sorry about that. But I have already used the new compiler and I didn't really mind the old IDE. So this one just looks different. I haven't tried any of the new features but will get more into it over the weekend.

Oh, and would love to be able to configure the highlight colors in the preferences.

Quote: "Export to APK"

I really look forward to that

Quote: "As you said there are options to make the run button do what you want. At first I was going to go with separate buttons for Run, Broadcast, and Run + Broadcast, but figured this way might be better. I see what people thin"

Since we can change what icons we use in the toolbar it would be nice to add those options we like, without having to access the build menu multiple times to change what the run button does.

shadey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2014 23:55 Edited at: 14th Aug 2014 23:57
yeh,read that bit before, but i have none running! and as i said it did start the dload but never completed it then nadda!

Hail to the king, baby!
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2014 23:57
Quote: "yeh,read that bit before, but i have none running!"

I downloaded after your previous post and it worked fine for me.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2014 02:55 Edited at: 15th Aug 2014 03:12
Paul...

[DocumentationRelated]

C:\AGK\IDE\Help\Reference\Core\Render2DBack.htm

Render2DBack( )

There is a space in the () parenthesis, is this intentional?

If unintentional, should I mention other forms of these spaces to you? here or via email, I am scouring the entire code base tonight to implement into another app [ Which might be somewhat free On Windows 8.1+ Platforms ], hope this is helpful...

[/DocumentationRelated]

EDIT

C:\AGK\IDE\Help\Reference\Core\Str.htm

Shows:

Definition
string Str( value )
string Str( value, decimals )
string Str( value )

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2014 03:22
Quote: "There is a space in the () parenthesis, is this intentional?"

Not intentional, but unless it's causing problems I'll leave it as is.

Quote: "string Str( value )
string Str( value )"

One is for Integers the other is for Floats, I'll make this more obvious by changing the parameter name.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2014 03:24 Edited at: 15th Aug 2014 03:26
Would you like me to point out more of the last example if I notice such?

EDIT

•SetDefaultMagFilter
•SetDefaultMinFilter

Should that not be Max?

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Paul,

It would seem that long load times (around 7 seconds) cause the AppGameKit V2 window to become "Not Responding". Normally, I would just blame this on the lack of "Sync" while loading causing the program to hang for a second. However, I've noticed this doesn't happen using AppGameKit V108 so it could be something worth looking into.

On my computer the same code that takes 7 - 8 seconds to load in AppGameKit V108 takes around 10 seconds in AppGameKit V2 because during loading the window becomes "Not Responding" for a few seconds. For some example code you can look at my thread here (also, maybe you have a suggestion for the issue described in the thread)http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=211862&b=41 You should see that while compiling with AppGameKit V2 the window freezes up for a few seconds, while this doesn't happen with AppGameKit V108.

Sean

shadey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2014 11:36 Edited at: 15th Aug 2014 11:39
damn! I installed the new alpha 4 to another folder which I should not have done, then uninstalled previous versions, which also was wrong! now I don't have any working agk2 coz the links in my products page get replaced!

Hail to the king, baby!
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2014 13:41
Quote: "Would you like me to point out more of the last example if I notice such?"

If you compile a list of all the things you think look wrong and email it to me then I'll take a look.

Quote: "SetDefaultMagFilter"

Is short for Magnification Filter, whilst Min refers to Minification, so that one is correct.

Quote: "It would seem that long load times (around 7 seconds) cause the AppGameKit V2 window to become "Not Responding""

The old interpreter had a break clause if the instructions were taking too long without a sync, I'll copy this into the new interpreter.

Quote: "now I don't have any working agk2"

Did Alpha 4 not work for you?
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2014 14:14
Quote: "Is short for Magnification Filter, "

I figured that, but probably best to include the term in the documentation

shadey
Years of Service
User Offline
does the alpha 4 need any other version installed,just tried installing 1.8xx then alpha 4 to overwrite but it seems nothing compiles or runs

Hail to the king, baby!
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2014 14:55
shadey, maybe this might help...

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=211844&b=41&msg=2529497#m2529497

Also Install it to its own folder 📁 as a fresh install...

Also read the top 20 posts here as you may be seeing the Project issue...

IronGiant
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2014 17:43
Ok, as far as I can see this new IDE does not make a new project folder. I tried everything I can think of, but when you click "New" in the "Project" drop down menu, all you get is a file with agk at the end as in "nullfile.agk" .

No folder is made, just a file, so you must scroll the basepath to the right, add folder name as in "\nullfile\" and then you get the folder.

And when you try and save the main.agc file from the template menu, you have to find the folder your project file is in and some of my projects are buried deep in other folders. this is a real pain, anyone else getting this problem?

It's Bird! , It's Plane!, No its a rocket powered Squirrel holding some acorns and a smile!
29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2014 18:40 Edited at: 15th Aug 2014 18:41
Yeah, I think this is just how it works at the moment. It took a little bit to figure it out.

I create the folder first then create the project, then the main.agc file. It feels a little too manual at the moment.

It would be nice to have a "new project" button that worked in the same way as the old IDE.

My projects are buried that deep, one sub-folder down from the root of the drive, so it's not a problem for me to find them.

I've also noticed it doesn't create a setup file so I'm not sure how to go about changing the window size and the window title for Windows games. If I import a project from alpha 3, the window stays the size that I set it in setup file.

Also, when I create a new project and a new main.agc and save it, it doesn't compile straight away. It comes up with:

failed to compile project, it must contain a 'main.agc' file in the project directory

In true IT style, if I close the project then reopen it it'll compile and run. After that everything works fine and I can edit my code and compile it without any issues.

Apart from that, it's a better love story than twilight.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2014 18:44
29 games - on the left you have to manually add it to the project, a bit odd when you already added it lol might be a bug

Blendman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2014 21:30
Hi

I have tried the new version of the Ide, and it's great.

(I have the avast issue too before installing, perhap's we should to use virustotal to verify the file)

I have run some of the new examples. I would like to know if the blendmode (add) is possible or not in the version ?

Thanks.

http://www.dracaena-studio.com
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2014 22:43
Quote: "as far as I can see this new IDE does not make a new project folder."

Yes and no, if you edit the project name first then it appends a new folder to the project base path with the project name, but if you edit the path first then it won't modify your chosen path. I've made the dialog wider in the next version so this is more obvious and you can see the entire path without scrolling.

Quote: "when you try and save the main.agc file from the template menu, you have to find the folder your project file is"

I agree that is annoying, I'll see if I can fix this.

Quote: "It would be nice to have a "new project" button that worked in the same way as the old IDE."

I'll also see if I can make the new project button create some templates of main.agc and setup.agc in your chosen project folder.

Quote: "on the left you have to manually add it to the project"

I found a bug where if the save dialog was cancelled the file was still added to the project whilst not having a file path, which shouldn't happen. I think I've managed to fix that.

Quote: "I would like to know if the blendmode (add) is possible or not in the version ? "

Yes, you can use SetSpriteTransparency( ID, 2 ) to use additive blending.
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Yes, you can use SetSpriteTransparency( ID, 2 ) to use additive blending."

I used to use that trick all the time! Will be glad to have it in AppGameKit

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 08:35:01
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 08:35:01