Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK 2.0 Alpha 4

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2014 01:24 Edited at: 16th Aug 2014 01:28
Paul, any chance you can add the full line of GL blend modes to give user full control? This is what I had hoped when V2 mentioned the addition of blend modes and could really prove helpful in many apps including a big one I'm working on but haven't yet committed to AppGameKit for it due to these blend limitations. Such as:

GL_ZERO
GL_ONE
GL_SRC_COLOR
GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_COLOR
GL_DST_COLOR
GL_ONE_MINUS_DST_COLOR
GL_SRC_ALPHA
GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA
GL_DST_ALPHA
GL_ONE_MINUS_DST_ALPHA
GL_CONSTANT_COLOR
GL_ONE_MINUS_CONSTANT_COLOR
GL_CONSTANT_ALPHA
GL_ONE_MINUS_CONSTANT_ALPHA
GL_SRC_ALPHA_SATURATE

Most engines support these more common blend modes as well as shortcuts:

Normal
Multiply
Screen
Overlay
Darken
Lighten
ColorDodge
ColorBurn
SoftLight
HardLight
Difference
Exclusion
Hue
Saturation
Color
Luminosity
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 16th Aug 2014 05:38
Silently [Failing at the same time] putting this in here...

It is what I am working on, only got to Input [181 commands whaaaat!]

Will continue later this weekend, cooking day Saturday! confectionaries and more! wish it was easy to drop stuff off for the TGC team ^^

Back on topic,

Paul, no rush but do you have an ETA for the next upload of AGKV2? roughly that is not holding you to anything

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2014 12:01
Here's another request for the new IDE. The old IDE remembered what files I had open in the project so whenever I loaded up RTA I had 10+ files open all at once. And I very much liked not having to open up files I need all the time.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2014 13:09 Edited at: 16th Aug 2014 13:11
I have just noticed that the new IDE have converted my tabs into 8 spaces each. So all my code is messed up now. I set the indentation to use tabs but this is overridden by the project properties. But there are no project properties. Going back to the old IDE until this is fixed because I absolutely hate indentation by spaces. I am not happy about this at all because I've already done some changes to the code that I now have to implement into my backup. Uninstalling Alpha 4 because this makes it useless to me. My very limited dev-time has now been wasted.

traumvogel
Years of Service
User Offline
I also think it is a must to have the IDE remembering what files I had open in the project last time so when I start the IDE my current project is ready to edit again. Is it a bug that this is not possible in the new IDE?
traumvogel
Years of Service
User Offline
There is a bug in the "Symbols" tab display in the "Variables" section: All my variables defined like for example "global dim abc[66]" are shown as "dim [linenumber]" in the "Variables" list.
Zwarteziel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2014 13:45 Edited at: 16th Aug 2014 13:47
Hi DA,

I don't know if you've already tried this, but: you can set indentation for each open .agc file by going to: [Document] -> [Ident Type]. Here, you can select if you want to use it at all, and if it should use spaces, tabs or a combination of them. By default, the IDE is set to use both tabs and spaces. By going to [Document] -> [Ident Width] you can set the amount of spaces the identation should use. The default here is 4.

Setting each open file to use only spaces fixed things for me. However, the settings are not saved, so each time I re-open my files, it starts out all messed up.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2014 14:15 Edited at: 16th Aug 2014 14:16
Quote: "I don't know if you've already tried this, but: you can set indentation for each open .agc file by going to: [Document] -> [Ident Type]. Here, you can select if you want to use it at all, and if it should use spaces, tabs or a combination of them. By default, the IDE is set to use both tabs and spaces. By going to [Document] -> [Ident Width] you can set the amount of spaces the identation should use. The default here is 4.

Setting each open file to use only spaces fixed things for me. However, the settings are not saved, so each time I re-open my files, it starts out all messed up. "

That does nothing for me. It only alters new tabs. As the files have already been saved with spaces. It is also too much hassle to do every time files are opened. RTA got 21 files.

I set the default to tabs and a width of 4 spaces, like I had in the old IDE. And I expect that to work in all my files. I absolutely hate spaces in indentations because once you get them in there they start to mess up the code and they require a lot of work to get rid of. I am not touching an IDE that can't do this properly. There should not be separate settings for default, project and files. It's just asking for trouble. I can't explain how much this frustrates me. I really wont use it, period.

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2014 16:29
Quote: "Paul, no rush but do you have an ETA for the next upload of AGKV2?"

Not yet, I'll see how many changes I get and then release when I think it's ready, maybe next week, maybe longer.

Quote: "The old IDE remembered what files I had open in the project"

This is something I want to get in the project files.

Quote: "I have just noticed that the new IDE have converted my tabs into 8 spaces each. So all my code is messed up now."

I didn't realise the IDE would change files in this way, I completely agree that this not right. I'll go through the indentation settings code and clean it up.

Quote: "All my variables defined like for example "global dim abc[66]" are shown as "dim [linenumber]" in the "Variables" list"

Fixed, thanks.
IronGiant
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2014 17:20 Edited at: 16th Aug 2014 17:47
Ok Paul, I see what you mean about not changing the main path of the project files,

but its still troublesome, now I have to create projects in my main folder, which I made as main folder , " The Game Creators" folder in "program files(86)" then drag them to which ever folder I keep that type of project in.

So no hurry on this but still be nice to have the old "make folder for project" menu button when you get the chance.

By the way, great work, love the new IDE and the fact it now has an easy way to fold and find Functions.

Be cool if you could talk to Wizzkid as to how he did all those cool mouse hover popups on command help for his IDE.

That is one of the coolest features of his IDE. Maybe he'd sell you guys the files he used to do all the command help rountines.

Really neat to just hover a mouse and see what each built-in function does.

I've always felt a good IDE makes or breaks a language and now AppGameKit is gettin two great ones,

I hope this sells even more copies of AppGameKit now that people will have a nicer way of coding.

Still using WizzKids IDE on my older versions of AppGameKit like version 1076 and up until this new version AppGameKit 2.4 cause the new IDE for AppGameKit 2.4 is great. I do have AGKs old IDE running as backup for things WIzz's IDE doesn't do well yet, like multiple tabs on open projects and such. Really cool IDE Though, I like all three of my AppGameKit IDE's.

So thanks again Paul, great work , love it, you make our coding job easier with each update.

It's Bird! , It's Plane!, No its a rocket powered Squirrel holding some acorns and a smile!
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2014 17:43
Quote: "I didn't realise the IDE would change files in this way, I completely agree that this not right. I'll go through the indentation settings code and clean it up."

Thanks I will look forward to that

Ranietz
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2014 19:06
I'm also having problems setting up a new project. Any improvements in that area would be most welcome. Making the process similar to the previous IDE would be fine.

Thanks to 29 games I was finally able to start a new project.
Quote: "In true IT style, if I close the project then reopen it it'll compile and run. After that everything works fine and I can edit my code and compile it without any issues."

One question though;
Is the setup.agc still needed or can all that stuff be done in the main.agc?
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
@Digital Awakening
Does AppGameKit fully support include files now? I remember early on they were broken so I've always just used 1 massive file with code folding. There was some mention of a fix but I didn't dare make the switch for fear of it breaking later on

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2014 19:30 Edited at: 16th Aug 2014 19:32
Quote: "Is the setup.agc still needed or can all that stuff be done in the main.agc?"

I don't use it any longer for RTA:
SetWindowTitle( "Name of the game" )
SetScreenResolution( width, height, fullscreen )

Quote: "Does AppGameKit fully support include files now? I remember early on they were broken so I've always just used 1 massive file with code folding."

I can't remember not using #include, hasn't that always worked? I can remember a line count issue a long long time ago, maybe there was some issue with globals or types in included files but that was fixed so long ago I can't remember.

JohnStabler
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2014 19:41
Didn't read through all 100 comments to see if someone else spotted this, but it appears that the compiler crashes if you try to compile a program that has DIM statements after other types of statements (or it did for me anyway).

For example I had used SetVritualResolution() at the start and some sprite loading at the start, followed by a bunch of DIM statements. Windows would tell me the compiler had quit expectantly.

As soon as I put all the DIMs at the top it worked as expected.

If it's a new AppGameKit requirement to have all declaration commands first then fine, but I think it could fail a bit more gracefully than this e.g. have it as an error item.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2014 19:45
Quote: "If it's a new AppGameKit requirement to have all declaration commands first "

Nope, not had any issues with DIM.

Ranietz
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2014 19:53
Quote: "Quote: "Is the setup.agc still needed or can all that stuff be done in the main.agc?"
I don't use it any longer for RTA:
SetWindowTitle( "Name of the game" )
SetScreenResolution( width, height, fullscreen )"

Thanks for the reply Digital Awakening. I tried those commands and they work great. There was one thing I noticed though. There seems to be a default resolution that kicks in if there's no setup.agc and the window is displayed in the wrong size for a fraction of a second when I start my program but that's not a big deal.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2014 20:20
Quote: "There seems to be a default resolution that kicks in if there's no setup.agc and the window is displayed in the wrong size for a fraction of a second when I start my program but that's not a big deal. "

That happens with other games too so I don't bother. Since I allow the user to alter the resolution in the options within the game, that is stored in a separate file. So I will get that result either way.

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2014 20:24 Edited at: 16th Aug 2014 23:19
Quote: "there was some issue with globals or types in included files but that was fixed so long ago I can't remember."

Yep that was what I was referring to. Good to know

Edit: Btw, I could test this myself, but when passing types into functions is it a deep or shallow copy? I would certainly prefer a shallow copy but I can see why that wouldn't follow the usual AppGameKit trend. If it's a deep copy, I suppose this would work

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2014 07:53
Quote: "Not yet, I'll see how many changes I get and then release when I think it's ready, maybe next week, maybe longer."

xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2014 05:18 Edited at: 18th Aug 2014 05:18
Please Paul insert the HTTP timeout property. Thx.

Long life to Steve!
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
@Gekko, there is the command:

SetHTTPTimeout( iHTTP, milliseconds )

Does this not work for you?
Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2014 09:02
I really like the new IDE, but one thing I liked about the code blocks version was the change bars. Can changebars be turned on for geany?

Is not a big deal, and there are probably other important features to add.

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2014 09:30
I made a new project, added a file called "main.agc" I then added a bunch of pre existing files. I added the files to the project, but when I try and compile it, I get an error saying it failed "it must contain a 'main.agc' file in the project directory." which it does.

Also, is there no way to save the current project? Or is this done automatically?

Kurtuk
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't get any messages from Avast antivirus but the link gives me the same error message "page cannot be found". I have tried internet explorer and firefox and turned off my firewall but it is still not working.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2014 12:43
Another "nice to have" would be code folding on subroutines. i.e.

Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2014 16:47 Edited at: 18th Aug 2014 16:49
@CJB,Paul
why not FoldStart [name],FoldEnd
its more flexible.

AGK 108 (B)19 : Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit : AMD Radeon R7 265
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2014 16:53 Edited at: 18th Aug 2014 16:54
Quote: "Can changebars be turned on for geany?"

It looks like some people have done a patch for it but it looks to be quite involved so not right now, but possible.

Quote: " I added the files to the project, but when I try and compile it, I get an error saying it failed "it must contain a 'main.agc' file in the project directory.""

If you browse to the directory where the .agk file is located, is the the main.agc file in the same folder?

Quote: "is there no way to save the current project? Or is this done automatically?"

All project file changes are saved automatically.

Quote: "I don't get any messages from Avast antivirus but the link gives me the same error message "page cannot be found"."

It may be blocking it silently, does disabling Avast fix the link?

Quote: "Another "nice to have" would be code folding on subroutines."

I looked at this but unfortunately subroutines have no fixed structure, for example they can have multiple returns or labels inside them like

so it's not possible to parse them for folding.

Quote: "why not FoldStart [name],FoldEnd"

That's an interesting idea, I might try that.
Ranietz
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2014 19:06
I found a bug where edit boxes wont work if you use the SetRawWritePath command.
It may be an old bug but I haven't tested it on a previous AppGameKit version.

Here's a simple example:

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2014 19:48
Quote: ""why not FoldStart [name],FoldEnd""

I second that. And have them show up as symbols as well. The platform section of my code in RTA is quite huge.

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
When creating a new project it would be preferred to auto-generate the main.agc and setup.agc files and include them within it. Also I can't seem to open any existing V2 project via double-clicking the .agk file from Explorer. Instead, just the .agk file itself opens up in the IDE with no other files or projects attached. I still have to use the Project > Open to load what I need.
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Fired up V2 (alpha v4) for the first time and tried my map editor...

Got two errors that I don't understand...

I have lots of includes but they are causing errors, so this line...
#Include CreateGUIAssets.agc
give a compiler error of "error: Unexpected token "createguiassets", #include must be followed by a file name"

And...

I have this line...
Global NL$=Chr(10)+Chr(13)
which gives an error of "error: Variable default value must be a string literal or constant"

Any clues? And whilst I'm here, does anyone know if you can make the IDE background darker? White is a killer on the eyes!
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2014 23:01 Edited at: 18th Aug 2014 23:02
@DavidAGK
in v1 it was a string
#Include CreateGUIAssets.agc
#Include "CreateGUIAssets.agc"

maybe try, (but should work without).
Global NL$=""+Chr(10)+Chr(13) 'Linux
Global NL$=""+Chr(13)+Chr(10) 'Windows

AGK 108 (B)19 : Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit : AMD Radeon R7 265
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Cheers Markus.

The include things seems to work but not the NL$ thing.

I'm now also getting multiple "error: Unexpected token "End Of Line", function parameters must start with an open bracket

error messages in my functions?
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
@David, you can invert the colors so it's black background and light text via:

Edit > Preferences > Editor > Display > [X]Invert Syntax Highlighting Colors

(You can also remove that pesky vertical line that appears in middle on wider screens if you want by unchecking Long Line Marker on this tab).

For now you can also open up IDE\Editor\data\filetypes.agk to play around with the colors, foreground and background. I changed word3 to 0x000080;0xffffff which when inverted is easier on the eyes. Also, I set the font to Meslo LG L DZ Normal 13 pt which to me is much nicer.

Also, the error with your code can be remedied by declaring the global first before assigning it the computed value:

Ideally Paul can fix this so it can all be declared on one line. In early testing days of the new compiler it was even more rigid but he corrected that so it should be possible.
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool - thanks. The NL$ worked, the mid-screen line was going to be my next question (that should be off by default I reckon) so thanks for answering that before I even asked it!

So, only the mysterious "End of Line" error...at least until I remove those errors and others spring up!
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
It's almost as if the function is seeing the carriage returns as input parameters to the function and so is asking for a bracket?!?!

ie functionname(CRLF)

Is that possible?
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2014 23:32
Quote: "I found a bug where edit boxes wont work if you use the SetRawWritePath command."

When you create an editbox for the first time it looks for the media files to display it, creating an editbox before changing the root path, even if you immediately delete it, will load the necessary files into memory so it doesn't need to load them again.

Quote: "When creating a new project it would be preferred to auto-generate the main.agc and setup.agc files"

This will be in the next version

Quote: "Global NL$=Chr(10)+Chr(13)"

Variables now have their default value assigned at compile time instead of runtime (so that people can declare globals in include files) but the compiler can't evaluate complex statements. So to evaluate it at runtime you would do

alternatively in the next version you can do this (single quote strings are currently broken)

Quote: "Unexpected token "End Of Line", function parameters must start with an open bracket"

Currently function declarations must all be on one line
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2014 23:34
That long line fails when you use larger fonts... indeed should be disabled by default...

DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Not sure I understand the End of Line part...

I had...

Function UnloadSecretMap
code
code
code
EndFunction Result

but that gave an error so I changed it to...

Function UnloadSecretMap()
code
code
code
EndFunction Result

which seemed to work but now my ExitFunction commands are throwing up an "error: Unexpected token "End Of Line" error...
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2014 23:50
Quote: "ExitFunction commands are throwing up an "error: Unexpected token "End Of Line""

If your EndFunction command returns a value then ExitFunction must return a value. I've improved the error message for this case in the next version.
Ranietz
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2014 00:13
Quote: "Quote: "I found a bug where edit boxes wont work if you use the SetRawWritePath command."

When you create an editbox for the first time it looks for the media files to display it, creating an editbox before changing the root path, even if you immediately delete it, will load the necessary files into memory so it doesn't need to load them again.
"

Thanks. That works.
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Ah, ok, got it.
I notice the new version is finding errors and runtime errors that V1 didn't. My coding skills are even more evidently bad! Good stuff though - out of bound array errors during run time are especially helpful!
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2014 01:20 Edited at: 19th Aug 2014 01:22
Would it be possible to allow for linebreaks within function calls for readability? Example:

Currently this throws error: Unexpected token "End Of Line"

Also has the previous limitation of 8 maximum parameters been resolved? Early testing indicates it has?
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2014 03:04
Quote: "Would it be possible to allow for linebreaks within function calls for readability?"

Possibly, if it doesn't cause too many other problems. It's not high priority though.

Quote: "Also has the previous limitation of 8 maximum parameters been resolved?"

Yes, the max is now 32 (untested)
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2014 06:30
HTTPTimeout...
is a new command or it was an old command?

Long life to Steve!
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2014 13:55
Quote: "HTTPTimeout...
is a new command or it was an old command?"

It's new
Scary Little Rabbit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2014 18:24
hey, I missed it again. already a week is gone. TGC, can you send us a letter when you release such important things?

error #1:
"too many stars, too many stares. disembody."
WIP: MIND!! | free fonts for your AGKs
Scary Little Rabbit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2014 19:40
Quote: "I didn't realise the IDE would change files in this way, I completely agree that this not right. I'll go through the indentation settings code and clean it up."

Preferences -> Files -> Saving files -> checkbox 'Replace tabs by space' is not working. IDE replace tabs at any way.

error #1:
"too many stars, too many stares. disembody."
WIP: MIND!! | free fonts for your AGKs
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2014 23:26 Edited at: 19th Aug 2014 23:27
Looking froward to being able to choose colours in the IDE easily. A white background is a bit of a killer. IDE does look good though - being able to fold loops etc is cool. Will there be a function list anywhere?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 09:10:38
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 09:10:38