Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK 2.0 Alpha 4

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2014 23:33
Quote: "Will there be a function list anywhere?"

Currently only for active file (see symbols in the left panel).

I have already requested a projectwide functions list as that would be very useful. Used that all the time in DBP.

DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Does the IDE now auto-save files and if so, is there a way to disable it?

...and thanks Digital Awakening
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2014 23:45
Downloading it now!

Long life to Steve!
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2014 00:01
Quote: "Does the IDE now auto-save files and if so, is there a way to disable it?"

Just like the old IDE, all your source files are saved on compilation.

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2014 01:26 Edited at: 20th Aug 2014 01:29
Have started testing the tweening commands, and would really like to see a SetTweenSpriteXByOffset and SetTweenSpriteYByOffset to compliment SetSpritePositionByOffset as many of my sprites have custom offsets. Or even just another parameter in the existing commands to signal use of offsets. It doesn't appear tweening takes offsets into consideration currently. (Same could be said about scaling.)
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2014 04:54
Using the new IDE, I had just finished writing a really nice routine that automatically built atlas images for a side-scroller landscape. Was testing / tweaking for the last 3 hours until I got it just how I wanted it, was about to save and then BLAM! The IDE crashed with "Unhandled win32 exception occurred in AGK.exe [7788]".

Re-opened the project via "recent projects", alas the last 3 hours work has gone

Please tell me this new IDE auto-saves the files somewhere!??? PLEASE!

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2014 07:50 Edited at: 20th Aug 2014 09:45
@CJB, if you were testing all along then with each compile/run it would have saved the file. Double-check your actual project folder via Windows Explorer and look for the actual source code file which should be .agc, not the project file which may have been corrupted or may just not be opening right in the IDE (I had similar issues opening up project files a few times). If the source file itself is gone or blank then that's a serious issue.

There is a built-in backup copy and autosave plugin that ships with the IDE, but it is not enabled by default. To enable autosave and backup copies, do the following:

Select TOOLS > PLUGIN MANAGER

Check the "SAVE ACTIONS" option

Click the "PREFERENCES" button

Check the "ENABLE" option and set interval and any other options you wish such as ENABLE SAVE WHEN LOSING FOCUS

Click the BACKUP COPY tab

Check the "ENABLE" option and specify the directory and format of the backup.

Click the "OK" button, then "OK" again to close plugin manager.

Now when the file is saved it will also be saved to your backup folder. Perhaps Paul should enable this plugin by default to prevent any catastrophic code loss if there is some other issue with the IDE.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2014 08:59
After a good three hours sleep, I can see it has indeed saved my changes upon each compile/run (phew!). I think this was a case of not enough sleep and blind panic Lol.

Great tip about the autosave and backup copies! Thanks

I'm SO happy right now!

*breathes huge sigh of relief*

Blendman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2014 10:46 Edited at: 20th Aug 2014 10:49
Hi Paul

There is a bug with the Additive blendmode (SetSpriteTransparency(1, 2)).

Here is an image to explain the bug :

the blendmode should use the alpha channel.

The image to test :

http://www.dracaena-studio.com
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2014 15:50
Quote: "The IDE crashed with "Unhandled win32 exception occurred in AGK.exe [7788]""

Can you remember what you were doing just before the crash?

Quote: "There is a bug with the Additive blendmode (SetSpriteTransparency(1, 2))."

When using additive blending the alpha channel is ignored, the image should be black where you don't want it to affect the outcome.
lilpissywilly
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2014 17:59 Edited at: 20th Aug 2014 18:07
@Blendman:

If you want, try the sprite shaders in this post

See if that blends like you want it

Edit: Forgot to add, that's a very pertinent handle you have there

My hovercraft is full of eels
Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2014 18:45
Not sure what the problem with the main.age issue was. After I restarted the Ide and reopened the project it compiled fine.

I have an issue with passing anew array value to a function.

I have the following line :

MorphTextString(GUI_Button[BtnStart].TextID, Menutargettext$)

But I get a compilation error:

Unexpected token ".", function call must end with a close bracket.

Love the speed of the compiler! It is lightning fast!

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2014 18:48
Sorry, it was my error.

The array value works fine.

Sorry.

Blendman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2014 20:11
Quote: "
When using additive blending the alpha channel is ignored, the image should be black where you don't want it to affect the outcome. "

Ok, thanks, it works now .
(so AppGameKit Additive Blendmode works like gimp, not like photoshop ^^)

http://www.dracaena-studio.com
Kurtuk
Years of Service
User Offline
Reported by AVAST! during download. Once I turned off silent gaming mode I was able to see the msg informing me of the block.
URL:
hxxp://www.thegamecreators.com/xt/xt_download_content.php?product=2361&file=443|$_OUTDIR\Editor\bin\AGK.exe

Infection:
Win32:Evo-gen [Susp]
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 20th Aug 2014 22:21
Kurtuk read the top 30-50 posts in this thread

CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2014 22:32
Quote: "Can you remember what you were doing just before the crash?"

I had just swapped to an image editor to take a look at the atlas image created by my little program. I got a little more info out of Vis Studio debug - First-chance exception at 0x68DE05BD in libcairo-2.dll. A quick Google and I found others with GDI object leaks on refocus with cairo (something about hitting a 10k handle limit?). Glad it's not just me.

Don't waste time hunting this down Paul (unless others start reporting the same thing of course!). I'm happy to let it slide this time

Back to the grind! I just need to figure out why my atlas image is all blurry around the edges...

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2014 04:57
i just noticed something, dont know if anyone else reported it yet but here it goes...

When adding a new file to a project, if i dont type .agc at the end of the file name then its not added to it automaticaly. not a big deal except that the new ide does not highlight anything and keeps all the text black. code folding and everything gone for the new file just created.

if i go back in and add a file and write .agc at the end then it works fine.

just a simple suggestion would be to have the ide add the extension if the user does not provide it.

BraindeaD
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all,
I'm having problems downloading this beta. The IExplorer download stops at 99% and it doesn't continue. If I try one more time, the explorer shows the "can not open the web page" error...
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2014 08:52
BraindeaD read top 50 posts for solution

BraindeaD
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "
BraindeaD read top 50 posts for solution
"

Solved! Thanks MrValentine.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2014 19:52
Paul, just sent you a PM, kind of important I think... not AppGameKit related just an issue that needs looking at...

Thanks

DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
One thing I liked about the old IDE was that when you highlighted a variable name (or anything I think) it auto highlighted other instances of that text - can that be done in the new IDE?

How are people finding V2 alpha 4 from a bug perspective? I know that developing in beta, let alone alpha software is foolish...er...but I've noticed that V2 is picking up errors that V1 doesn't so it's kind of tempting to move over to V2 for developing. I'm just a hobbyist so it's not critical but I'd rather not bang my head against things I think are my fault if they are bugs in the software so just wondering what the general consensus is regards stability and correctness of the current alpha?
Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2014 21:02
I'm a hobby coder too and I've moved my newest project over to v2.

Not found many bug's to be honest and the new Ide is better and the new computer reports errors far better.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2014 21:38 Edited at: 21st Aug 2014 21:42
Quote: "How are people finding V2 alpha 4 from a bug perspective?"

Since the new IDE messes with my tabs, turning them into spaces, I am still using alpha 3. I have used the alpha 4 compiler without the IDE and I believe all known bugs (related to the compiler) have been fixed. As soon as Paul releases the updated alpha 4 I will move over, as long as it leaves my tabs alone. The new compiler is awesome. Not that I need any of the new stuff for RTA but the increased compile speed is welcome. Not that it takes long to compile on my brand new gaming PC in alpha 3. The only thing 1.08 does better is rendering speed. But hopefully Paul can get that sorted in alpha 5.

The advantage of using the latest version is that new bugs you find will be dealt with. So you don't have to rely on other people finding all the bugs that might affect you. Making sure that RTA runs on the latest version of AppGameKit is very important to me and I have been able to find a few bugs here and there for Paul to fix.

DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool. I think I'll carry on developing in V2. I can see the benefit of being able to report bugs that affect you during active development/bug hunting. When you say render speed, are you referring to drawing of sprites etc? If so, yes, I hope Paul can sort it out.
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2014 23:32 Edited at: 21st Aug 2014 23:33
Quote: "How are people finding V2 alpha 4 from a bug perspective? I know that developing in beta, let alone alpha software is foolish...er...but I've noticed that V2 is picking up errors that V1 doesn't so it's kind of tempting to move over to V2 for developing."

Well, I am living dangerously. I have begun work on a production-grade app using V4 alpha and many of its new features, along with another alpha SDK that I'm integrating via Tier 2, with a very tight deadline of a couple weeks to get a working version... So I hope it is stable enough to pull off! Preliminary tests seem positive, it appears at least as stable as v1.08. I worked quite a bit with Tier 1 and the new IDE and found no big problems.

Quote: "One thing I liked about the old IDE was that when you highlighted a variable name (or anything I think) it auto highlighted other instances of that text - can that be done in the new IDE?"

If you double-click on any word to highlight it and would then like to highlight all instances, simply press CTRL+SHIFT+M to mark all, and again to unmark There are a couple plugins that also support this just by double-clicking but they currently must be compiled on Linux as far as I know.
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Why have all the downloads for AGKv2 been removed? My main computer failed me a few days ago so I've been forced over to my laptop. I wanted to continue where I left off, but I can't without some of the new v2 commands

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2014 06:05
Alpha 5 uploading

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 06:26:03
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 06:26:03