Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Is there anything like a Minecraft clone out there, made with AGK?

Author
User Banned
Posted: 10th Jun 2018 18:32
Got the diverseries the wrong way round

puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 10th Jun 2018 21:27

Night folks - catch up in a day or three with more on this

fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 10th Jun 2018 21:39
looking good night

Early in the morning here in Australia, too early to function without coffee lol
fubar
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 10th Jun 2018 21:43
yep - make you sure drink lots of those.

ill start commenting everything from tomorrow, to show how it works

im still a beginner with memblocks but hope it learns everyone -

Thanks to lots people here - yourself, Santman, Janbo, Bengismo - everyone who as suggested things on memblock work

fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2018 22:05
Quote: "Memblocks always worried me as I didn't understand, but with further knowledge and understanding now they worry and confuse me lol"

The hardest thing with memblocks is knowing how they are setup in memory, just a simple cube memblock has many vertices and faces
that need to be shifted just to raise one corner of a block for example. The testing to find out which was a pain in the ass and its different
for other objects. That's about all I understand with memblock data from objects. Memblock music data is a little easier to follow once you
have learned the setup definition, and image memblocks being the easiest to work with.

But allot of my decision to try and work with memblocks was inspired by this thread

fubar
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 10th Jun 2018 22:21 Edited at: 10th Jun 2018 22:24
correct - we have been advised that memblocks are the way to go for this type of venture, and quite honestly - a better way to make world games

the more and more peeps try and get into memblock programming the better for AppGameKit - this is where the "power" comes into what AppGameKit is truly capable of

Still confused - im sure we all can learn from each other and lead the way.

No more 2D for me.

No more 3D primitive objects for me

Mesh memblocks is the way to go...

I think ive come far with 7 months worth of proogramming training by you guys - Thank you so much
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2018 23:04
Quote: "No more 3D primitive objects for me"

I still believe there is a use for primitives as a die has 6 sides and instead of 6 textures a texture map means you can use one texture.
Im not sure how the texture mapping works creating objects with memblocks as I haven't yet tested but I remember along time ago
when I was box modeling in 3DS Max even a basic box had to be mapped so that the texture was usable.
fubar
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 10th Jun 2018 23:08
using primative objects just booooooms at the scale of this project

Not saying dont work with them - just suggesting its not best practice for this scale of a game - so have to find other ways
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 10th Jun 2018 23:18 Edited at: 10th Jun 2018 23:20
It would be nice to try and understand if possible to create a memblock with many textural levels - we have 256 mesh indexes that could be used as different textural images.

Then there is mipmapping and such like

Instead of having say 4 objects layered on top of each chunk resembling a different texture takes memory (that lots) - should be one chunk not 4 layered one for each

So be worth while figuring out how to muti texture a chunk

and before I blow my brains out - time to sleep
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2018 23:18
Quote: "using primative objects just booooooms at the scale of this project"

Agreed and it makes it easier to share code when you create them within your program

Im sure there must be a book about memblocks, if not a good tutorial that could be purchased
off steam or grouped with other packages would be a great idea especially if it detailed how
each type of memblock was stored in memory with simple example programs. Ide purchase
it if it wasn't too expensive as I know a little now but would be great for future reference.
fubar
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2018 23:20
Quote: "It would be nice to try and understand if possible to create a memblock with many textural levels "

That's very much on the verge of a complete 3D development tool
fubar
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 10th Jun 2018 23:21
If there is a tutorial - then guide me in the right direction to it
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2018 23:37 Edited at: 10th Jun 2018 23:38
I think there has been newsletters with explanations about memblocks in the past with Darkbasic and I beleive also AGK
but finding the right newsletters is painstaking as there are hundreds of them and there is no easy way of traversing
through them that I am aware of. The AppGameKit Newsletters use the format
https://www.thegamecreators.com/pages/newsletters/newsletter_issue_1.html Its almost worth creating a simple program
that you could just traverse through them one at a time rather than editing in the browser to do so. Then for the more advanced
a tool that could search and return a link to the pages relevant to the search. Being in html it shouldnt be to hard to write a tool
i may even look into this later
fubar
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 10th Jun 2018 23:49
cheers. ill have a peruse
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 12th Jun 2018 21:33 Edited at: 12th Jun 2018 21:57
Its been that long while since ive touched 2D stuff - that I cannot remember how to do anything with 2D - floodfill on a 2D image,

here is is the pseudo version

This doesnt work - cause need setmemblock for images, but the principle is the above

Anyway,

Back to 3D work...
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2018 00:37 Edited at: 13th Jun 2018 11:03
Think this is kinda what you want

That's close I think but it still has a problem with getting image data

I really think the problem is something to do with the recursive function and not the pickcolor
function as the error suggests
fubar
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 15th Jun 2018 18:10
I have just seen a thread from Xaby with SetObjectMeshImage.....Genius...

If this does what I think it does - then this will be absolutely perfect for this... Shall do some testing this weekend

Spot On if it does what it says on the tin (as they say)

puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 16th Jun 2018 10:35 Edited at: 16th Jun 2018 11:39
Perfect - We now have multiple textures on one chunk object using MeshIDs on each memblock

Press the cursors UP and DOWN to move a chunk object (only moves 1 object mind, up and down in the air)

We now can move on to Perlin Map the world

puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 16th Jun 2018 16:44 Edited at: 16th Jun 2018 16:48
So in short - for the mesh indexes version - adds 4 objects to one single mesh

but then have to think about positions - cause setobjectposition wont work if working with memblocks, so i created a

SetObjectPositionOnMesh function which bring in

Object - The final object you want the final result to be applied to (this will be the final constructed object

Mesh - The mesh itself of the object you want to apply to

Mesh Index - The index you want to add to (for multiple texturing)

X,Y,Z - the offset to where you want the object to be positioned to

Move your mouse about

Simple, but very effective

Enjoy!!!
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2018 18:22
The last post is a very nifty piece of code

Quote: "Perfect - We now have multiple textures on one chunk object using MeshIDs on each memblock
"
Unfortunately that example I get a crash with missing objects everytime I click the mouse and wasn't sure how else to move the blocks

But you definitely have solved some complex problems here and the last example could possible be used to make mesh objects from AppGameKit built in primitives
add some vertex/face selection modifications and you have built a fairly basic model editor in AppGameKit . I say basic not because it was easy but im comparing to very
complex modelling software that has allot more in it,
fubar
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 16th Jun 2018 18:26 Edited at: 16th Jun 2018 18:28
yes and oops - the clicking of the mouse wont work - i set myself a challenge today just to get mutiple textures onto 1 object.

Ill work on the chunk identifying again next - cause the blocks are not neceaarily on meshindex 1 anymore - they will be on 1,2,3,4,5,6,..........

So need to a little working out on where the blocks are on what chunk and what meshindex for that to work

Be back soon with that

Please look at the MeshMeblock Functions thread
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 22nd Jun 2018 20:44
No fresh news im afraid, but just wanted to bump this, i feel its important to get some bespoke memblock commands into place before can carry on here

https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/222071

wlll be worth while...
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2018 11:50 Edited at: 27th Jun 2018 11:54
you might find these functions by CJB handy
paste small image into a larger image with memblocks

from https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/215958

And still find the movement a bit weird with minecrafter but that can all be fixed by a movement object with a fixed camera
So i started to create a minecraft character lol not sure how to animate yet

Ricknasher has a great thread here with a Universal 1st/3rd person AppGameKit framework
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/221892
fubar
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 27th Jun 2018 18:30
Hey, your minecrafter looks ingenious - cheers for that.

An idea - Once ive got memblocks there - then we can merge all those primitive objects into one smaller memblock with color attribute set - 1 object is better than 5 joined together

The examples like from CJB is more 2D ish image memblocks - but still will be useful in other aspects of the app - like the "map" and such like.

and Ricks Universal one looks really great - i have been trying to fathom out how to move in accordance to which way the camera is facing - so this would be very helpful indeed.

Thanks for you input here once again..

puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 27th Jun 2018 18:45 Edited at: 27th Jun 2018 19:16
I dont know what it is, but something is telling me to create a world vortex ad object creation engine - which will allow us to build any vortex style worlds and character / object mesh building in a blender style environment system - and then when compile it, it will in turn generate all the AppGameKit code all from scratch to build that world

- Meshmemblock mechanics

- UV texture system

- Colors

- Primative Object creation ( Have a look at Autodesk Inventor by Autodesk if get the chance ) - this is a modelling suite that can build absolutely anything using just primative objects

so we can use then to extend the app further by game mechanics necessary to fill full your apps.

But primary goal here is to bring memblocks programming to the world in every aspect

But not sure on TGC allowing us to be able to regenerate AppGameKit code from within an already existing AppGameKit app ( a bit similar to Visual Editor)

But this would be awesome i think.

TGC? - would there be any issues with this
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2018 20:34
Quote: "i have been trying to fathom out how to move in accordance to which way the camera is facing "

I think the idea is to move an object even if its an invisible one and then adjust the camera according to where you
have moved or fix the camera to the object
fubar
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 27th Jun 2018 21:10
Its more of that player movements - ill take a look at Ricks examples cause that seems good.

I probably just missing a few angles and differences somehwere lol

Important to me at moment to get memblock programming for CPU and GPU resilience better, the player movements is small compared to our main acheivements here

fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2018 22:11 Edited at: 27th Jun 2018 22:23
Quote: "Important to me at moment to get memblock programming for CPU and GPU resilience better"

Agreed

This also qualifies for GDWC
https://thegdwc.com/
projects don't have to be complete

It may not win a prize but its definitely incentive for people to work on it and would be a way of getting AppGameKit noticed
and a bit more out there. I know last year there was prizes for the GDK community but there was issues which caused
problems with submissions for the AppGameKit prizing. But it did give AppGameKit some more coverage which I believe did good.

I get a bit upset when I see that AppGameKit doesn't get a mention allot of the time, I saw a survey the other day "which game
engine do people use?" it included alsorts but sadly AppGameKit wasn't a choice and they had some bad choices on the list in
my opinion. I think the more AppGameKit is out there the better it will be for us as the engines life will be prolonged which in
turn would allow many more updates for a long time.

fubar
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 27th Jun 2018 22:13
we need to explode the real capabilities of agk is truly capable of, 2D is only touching the surface.
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2018 08:49 Edited at: 5th Jul 2018 09:10
I finally worked out camera movements
Basically you create a player object you have to have one regardless of whether its visible
you basically rotate and move the player object with the move local commands and then position
the camera at its offset positions and angles

I finally got my version with a physics world working the way i want with endless angles based on setting raw mouse positions
and can be seen here https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/222027#msg2626744 Apologies if you seen but ive
only just got it working proper

I mainly used the physics world because of jumping and thought movement would be easier as there
are character controller commands that work quite well with a physics world you just have to step3Dphysics world
before updating camera position and angles. It also handles collisions for you rather than the need to use raycasting
for sliding collisions which I learnt after so leaves allot of the math to the engine.

But im sure it would work similar with your own character controller if you decide not to use a physics world
as setting objects physics could have a delay effect as this would have to be done to move blocks etc
fubar
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 5th Jul 2018 10:09
Awesome. Thanks fubarpk - ill take a look tonight and I think i will continue Craft-a-Lite this weekend.

Sorry i been taking my mind off this and memblock creations. so will get myself back on track with these this weekend.

Soon be my holiday too at the end of the month, so will have lots of time spare to get this ship shape and back on track again.

ok, we been at this near on 6 months now (started with 3D coding with AppGameKit around this time too, as I always was a 2D programmer, so its been one heck of a ride to get where we are today with this.
and for the best of programming too , been a really big massive learning curve.

puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 18th Jul 2018 22:12
Bump... Im back on this, this weekend
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 18th Jul 2018 22:21 Edited at: 18th Jul 2018 22:23
here is code so far - i need to crack on with this really

I tend to not allow anything challenge me to an extreme- thanks Xaby
MadTinkerer
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey Puzzler, I'm still reading through this thread (I'm on page 9) but I just have to say I really like what you've been doing with this.

I think some of your early struggles might have been fixed by looking at some of the example projects that come with AppGameKit, especially the First Person Shooter example. You can copy & paste some of the code from the FPS example to get what you need for mouselook controls, just make sure to comment out the line that applies the gravity. Or you could take it from me:

puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 19th Jul 2018 20:52 Edited at: 19th Jul 2018 20:53
Thank you for your input MadTinkerer

Will take a look, mind is been on getting Memory Management "memblocks" solved - then we good to carry on.

Its not a struggle now, but just need to find time

Please bear with me
Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2018 14:18
A while back I was exploring pivot points and made this guy animate walking..

https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/216175
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 20th Jul 2018 18:47
Nice addition - thanks Rich
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 21st Jul 2018 19:13 Edited at: 21st Jul 2018 19:21
Hello

Here is a version that uses UV Mapping, cubes fully built and UV checked and assigned to each face of a cube

Please use the minetile.png file

Use the WASD and cursors to move about

PS. You will see that looks like small gaps inbetween blocks, this is just because the minetile.png is not 100% pixel perfect on the edges of scale - this can be remedied quiet easily

EDIT: Tomorrow, I will add more textures to that minetile.png like sand, earth texture etc and add cubes on the same mesh with their appropriate UV coords by adding a few functionality to addcube function

Attachments

Login to view attachments
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 21st Jul 2018 20:06
Has someone distinguished the sun.....lol

The normals are probably way off - ill try and fix these too
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 21st Jul 2018 21:25
Id like to thank Santman for the UV co-ordination knowledge... Much appreciated
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2018 23:39
Looks good
fubar
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 29th Jul 2018 08:33
Here is a tile map block generator to create a handful of textures which can be used in the app

The resulting image will be stored in the %appdata% area of this app - just need to copy the PNG to the minecraft app media folder

It will create a 10 x 10 image full of nice textured images with tops, sides and bottoms

Now time for to incorporate this into minecrafts addcube function

and work out the UVs x and y coordinates for any wanted texture for a single cube

This will be fun to work out, but will do it..

Attachments

puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 29th Jul 2018 10:05
Now we have our tilemap generation test.png - each of the UVs need to work out the cube textures for the x and y coordinates - so the example attached will show the 4 textures that incorporate one cube

So there is potentially 5 cubes going in x and 5 cubes in the y - so thats 25 potential cubes on this image.

because there is 5 in each direction then for UVs I have created a UV map with the coordinates (Capture.png)

Can someone please confirm if this is 100%

Thanks

Attachments

janbo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2018 10:31 Edited at: 29th Jul 2018 10:32
UV coords looks fine.
So there are 4 textures for one cube and I see you have edges on the corner textures on the top, like in minecraft the grass also grows/hangs down the sides a bit.
Don't you want the top color match the color of the sides edge, or vice versa...hope you know what I mean.
I guess its your next step anyway
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 29th Jul 2018 10:45
Yeah 4 textures to one cube does sound odd when there is a top, a bottom and the last texture creates all the sides - so will have to re-adust the coordinates slightly on the addcube to make it only use 3 textures instead

for example textures can be made up on the PNG as thus

TOP SIDE BOTTOM - TOP SIDE BOTTOM - TOP SIDE BOTTOM - TOP SIDE BOTTOM - TOP SIDE BOTTOM
TOP SIDE BOTTOM - TOP SIDE BOTTOM - TOP SIDE BOTTOM - TOP SIDE BOTTOM - TOP SIDE BOTTOM

Ill send a texture to show this properly later
Thanks for pointing that out

the texture creation can be refined somewhat to indeed create the above also having top texture overhang on the sides

puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 29th Jul 2018 13:17
We now have a "proper" multi-textured chunk using a pre-generated 10x10 image map

This code can only cater for 10x10 image making a 5x5 cube a mentioned earlier.

I shall now tweak it a bit to only allow to use 3 textures on the tilemap instead of 4 (this is just wasting 1 texture)

But its something to show you begginers how its done.

upload the test.png into the media folder
Catch up soon

Attachments

puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 29th Jul 2018 14:22 Edited at: 29th Jul 2018 14:23
Sorry chaps...

Texture builder fine tuned

This will createa 11x15 map each contaiining a cubes 3 tiles one next to each other - a Top, a Side and a Bottom of up to 55 cubes

Now shall work on tweaking the UVs in Minecraft to work with this layout

Attachments

janbo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2018 16:22 Edited at: 29th Jul 2018 16:22
Now make it seamless
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 29th Jul 2018 17:02 Edited at: 29th Jul 2018 17:13
Thanks

Seamless as in you can see gaps? or seamless as in it will be easy to code the UV calculations to get it working

Im nearly there

Edit - Yikes - I see it... Let me ponder
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 29th Jul 2018 17:52 Edited at: 29th Jul 2018 18:22
Could it be:-

- Something to do with the construction of the cube in the first place in the "addcube" function that i havent taken into account possibly shared vertices and just slapped dashed a cube together without thinking of this.

- The tile image needs to be a power of 2

Just a thought
hmmmm

EDIT
So say a 16x16 texture, would need 8 on X and 8 on Y = 128x128 image - nothing else will fit the bill

EDIT - Nope that wasnt it

Oh I remember Notch creating his with 16x16 textures LOL will give this a try

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 00:39:23
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 00:39:23