Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Blue v2 - Windows Controls & Menus Plugin for DarkBASIC Professional

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2005 01:04
I have added rudimentary tabbing support to the next update. All controls are set to focus the next control in the sequence when a Tab key is pressed, apart from multiline edits, rich-edits and webbrowser gadgets.

@Scorpio

Thanks for posting the list. Almost all of the items there are do-able, I'll say more later.

Just to clarify one point, frames are not displayed correctly in Rainbow owing to a Windows technicality, but they do display correctly when the outputed code is compiled.

BlueGUI Windows Plugin
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2005 01:58
Quote: "I have added rudimentary tabbing support to the next update"

Woot! Cheers, Rob.

BatVink
Rknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2005 16:56
I've noticed that when using the menu, if you switch from one main menu item to another across, after clicking on the menu item, the pasted sprite on the screen dissappears.

It doesn't if you're just going down through menu items.

Text on the screen doesn't dissappear.

Is this some sort of focus problem?
Tartopom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2005 19:37 Edited at: 23rd May 2005 09:18
Hello,

I Don't know if this is a bug with bluGui or Dbpro. I load image into a panel using setPanelImage command (used for textures viewer). The problem is when I load a texture which have a lower resolution than an other one (loaded after). The second texture is automatically cropped as the first one.

The only solution I've found is to delete the panel, recreate it, resize it with the size of the image and finally set the Panel Image.

If you can help me, Thanks in advance.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2005 23:20
I've found that Rainbow stops working at Gadget 101

Can't quite put my finger on teh problem, but it autoimatically becomes "active". For example, if it's a button, it becomes clickable in Rainbow. If you try to modify any parameters, the panel greys itself out.

BatVink
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2005 00:06 Edited at: 24th May 2005 01:34
Found some required corrections...

should be

++++++++++++++++++++++

should be

++++++++++++++++++++++

should be

++++++++++++++++++++++++

should be

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

BatVink
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2005 01:34
Is it possible to send the current colour to the colour picker window? That is, so that the current colour is selected when you open the window?

BatVink
David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2005 02:07
Quote: " I've found that Rainbow stops working at Gadget 101 "

I've had this problem too. After adding the gadget, the program just closed.

[url=www.lightningstudios.co.uk][/url]
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2005 02:13
Lightning, check out the attached zip file, it's a corected version. Be aware, it outputs an additional function, DeleteUI(). This is a quick way to completely remove the GUI after use.

----------------------------------------------------

New Question:
Is it possible to detect if the user pressed cancel in a dialog box (specifically the Color Dialog)?

BatVink

Attachments

Login to view attachments
EddieB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2005 04:44
Hey, I just bourght BlueGU 2.0 , I love it

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and feed him his entire life.....
CPU
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2005 12:02
Ok, instead of that enter key I ended up just dynamicly updating the object as the user typed, much easier and more visualy interactiver

However in my progress I've also come across another error that's been more than just a minor pain, somehow, and I don't know why, my program will experence pauses of up to almost a second when I am updating all the labels and checkboxes and text areas and so on. It seems to occur when I update them frequently but not every time i call the update function, the I programmed the inbuilt logging routine to record any pauses of over 5 milli-seconds (five timer() units) and have the following log file to somewhat show what I mean...

Every time you see a static object was refreshed means that all the blue GUI gadgets were also updated and did so within 5 timer units, however as you can see there are gaps where it paused for almost up for a second, which in an editor where your dynamicly dragging an object around the screen gets quite annoying when the object all of a sudden starts jumping around to where your cursor is.

I've tried to duplicate this problem but I can't seem to find a way to duplicate it outside of the program. Another thing I concidered is that it might be me running out of RAM but with a 3.0GH processor and 1.0GB of RAM I kinda doubted it. Any help on this would be apreceated.

CPU

[center]K-OS Battlefields
IS
///---///---///---UNDER CONSTRUCTION---\\\---\\\---\\\
[center]
feiting
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2005 13:05 Edited at: 12th Jun 2005 13:06
any examples on panels and tabs together? Or do I manually go hide gadgets?

edit: I found the tabbed editor. This is very... messy. Try making it in a way that you have a tab with a parent panel, then every gadget
--------------------
I stole that from myself. Rob, is that possible or even probable with VB -the lang u made this with(otherwise wouldn't mention it)-? If it is, knowing would help me out a ton, and when it is likely to be in. Tabs, not the keyboard btw.

He who does not take the assassin job, will get killed by one who does.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2005 04:25
The standard tab control is just tabs, not a panel as such. I always associate a panel with every tab, and then have one routine that hides all and shows just one of them after GADGET_CLICK on the tab.

BatVink
feiting
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2005 09:25 Edited at: 13th Jun 2005 14:09
ah, so just showing a panel makes all other gadgets (in the same area) invisible automatically?

edit: I've been trying to answer my question... and um, can I see your code? mine is getting a bit messy right now.

Edit: SWEET! thanks!

It works!

He who does not take the assassin job, will get killed by one who does.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2005 17:03
Quote: "...showing a panel makes all other gadgets (in the same area) invisible automatically"

Almost! To do it right, you make your gadgets children of the tab. I assume you've already done that anyway, otherwise you'd be seeing some weird results. Then you hide the panel, and it hides all of it's children too.

Your method is OK, and is obviously working fine for you. I prefer to hide the panels AND disable them, because sometimes I have some panels longer than others. It's also safer, because once disabled, nothing can inadvertently trigger an event on a disabled gadget.

BatVink
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2005 03:23 Edited at: 15th Jun 2005 03:23
Hi folks,

A small update is available (beta)

Login to the Blue2 website, then click the link below:

http://www.robertknight.me.uk/blue2/site/?view=download&file=downloads/gui2_14_06_05.zip

Changes:
- Rudimentary tabbing support (Pressing tab whilst a gadget is focused automatically switches focus to the next gadget)

- Dialog behaviour changed (Dialogs are now parented to the main window if it is visible, this means that it is impossible for dialogs to get stuck behind the main window)

BlueGUI Windows Plugin
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2005 05:18
I've read the posts up above and clearly the tab issue is confusing people, so I have produced another update which adds a couple of new commands to deal with this:

attachGadget(target, tab, attach)

This attaches a gadget to a particular page on a tab gadget. Once a gadget is attached, it will be shown automatically when that page is selected, and hidden when other pages are selected.

target - The tab gadget handle
tab - The index of the tab which the gadget should be attached to
attach - The handle of the gadget to attach

Gadgets can be attached to multiple pages on the same tab gadget. No other association is created (ie. if you delete a tab gadget, it won't delete associated gadgets, unless of course the associated gadgets are children of the tab)

detatchGadget(target, tab, detatch)

Opposite of the above command, removes the association between the tab gadget and the attached gadget.

Example:

The "Hello" button will only show when the first page is selected, the edit box will only show when the second page is selected. Clicking on the hello button detatches it, so that it is always shown.

Download:

Login to the Blue2 website, then click this link:

http://www.robertknight.me.uk/blue2/site/?view=download&file=downloads/gui2_14_06_05_B.zip

Note: If you delete a tab or change its caption, the associations are not currently affected.

BlueGUI Windows Plugin
David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2005 05:26
Maybe I've missed a chunk of the conersation here, but why do all the gadget's begin to draw 'garbage' onto the screen when in window mode (on window 0)?

[url=www.lightningstudios.co.uk][/url]
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2005 05:49
I don't understand - could you post a screenshot.

BlueGUI Windows Plugin
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2005 18:03 Edited at: 15th Jun 2005 18:04
Woot, Woot, and Wootier! Cheers Rob, all of the above is very useful!

Am I right in thinking, though, that before this tabs didn't control visibility of of other gadgets? Because if they did, I wasted a lot of time coding the solution!

Another question...I have a single tab where gadgets are hidden/shown depending on the circumstances. With the new functionality, will my gadgets automatically be shown even if they were hidden manually?

BatVink
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2005 18:38
Quote: "Am I right in thinking, though, that before this tabs didn't control visibility of of other gadgets?"

Yes, that is correct. This is a new addition.

Quote: "Another question...I have a single tab where gadgets are hidden/shown depending on the circumstances. With the new functionality, will my gadgets automatically be shown even if they were hidden manually?"

Yes, you'll need to keep separate code for dealing with that.

BlueGUI Windows Plugin
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2005 21:02
Cheers!

BatVink
Tartopom
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

Maybe a addition could be to disable the gadget when switching between tabs, because here gadgets are hidden but activated.

Anyway this is a good update.

Cheers
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2005 04:07
Quote: "Maybe a addition could be to disable the gadget when switching between tabs, because here gadgets are hidden but activated.
"

Is this a problem?

BlueGUI Windows Plugin
Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2005 04:18
Thanks for the update!
I'm not sure if this should be specified as a bug, but it IS certainly annoying. All the windows you make in Blue, will hide behind every other window currently open, if you minimize it. I think it should be on front of every other window when minimized.

*** PANZERGAMES ***
Tartopom
Years of Service
User Offline
@Rob K

No, I just think that what you've updated wasn't a problem too, because it's easy to make such a system. But if you think this is okay, for me too, no problem
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2005 08:51
Quote: "All the windows you make in Blue, will hide behind every other window currently open, if you minimize it. I think it should be on front of every other window when minimized."

Minimized windows are not visible - they are represented by an icon in the taskbar. Perhaps you mean something else?

BlueGUI Windows Plugin
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2005 19:35
@Rob K:

On our program it isn't minized that way:S
It is minimized like this:

[img][/img]

If you use this kind of minimizing it will be hidding behind all other open windows.

Can you make them minimize in another way?

Visit PanzerGames here
Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2005 19:48
Yes, it would be nice if the windows would minimize to the taskbar like every other window.

*** PANZERGAMES ***
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2005 19:33
You need to set the createTopMost parameter to 1 when you call the createWindow function to make it a top-level window, rather than a child of the main DBPro window.

The taskbar only has icons for top-level windows.

BlueGUI Windows Plugin
Keaz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2005 08:52 Edited at: 18th Jun 2005 09:17
The tab update didn't end up helping me afterall because what got got shown was dependent on other gadgets on the tab page.
so I did it this way

So now I only need 1 IF statement per option and BTW hideBuildingTab() hides all gadgets related to the Building tab.

However, I still need to change my label colors to match XP's style, but then if the user doesn't use XP's style hmmm......
Keaz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2005 09:16
Is there way to add pop-ups with BlueGUI for context help such as

if event()=MOUSE_OVER and eventsource()=Gadget1 then showTooltip "I'm gadget1's tooltip"
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2005 09:48
BlueGUI doesn't have built-in tooltips, but it is quite easy to make your own using label gadgets.

I personally find tooltips slightly cumbersome from a user-perspective, which is why Rainbow displays its hints in a statusbar beneath the toolbar.

BlueGUI Windows Plugin
Keaz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2005 23:51 Edited at: 19th Jun 2005 02:36
I added a "What's this?" button to my toolbar because, when dialogs are open the status bar might not be visible. I was wanting it to work the same as tooltips. The user would click on "What's this?" then clicked on what they want info about a tool tip would pop-up. Since then I've decided to use semi-transparent non-resizable, no-border windows and the label gadget and add an extra feature to the tooltip so the user can click on the tooltip's "more info" button to open the help file about that Dialog the user is on. I'm trying to make it as easy as possible for users to get more info as it is going to be a very complex program. The help system will be done in HTML and use the browser gadget. Thanks anyway. It keeps seeming as soon as I need something I find a way around it that work even better.

3 More things:
1.Any chance of more functionality out of getSystemColor() other than 1 color?

2.The Beta downloads didn't work even after login. I got a message this message:
Quote: "---------------------------
Microsoft Internet Explorer
---------------------------
Internet Explorer cannot download gui2_14_06_05_B.zip from www.robertknight.me.uk.
Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later."

Did you pull them or maybe their on another server and it's down? Any help?

3.I wish to get a copy of the latest source of Rainbow.Why?

BlueGUI has been an invaluable resource for my app development. Well worth the price. I'd give a 9.7/10 for the minor bugs and minor other flaws. I want to give something back to you and the Blue community as a whole. I'd work on the IDE as it's open source, but I don't know or plan on learning C++ in the near future. Rainbow is the only logical choice as it can and does help to make BlueGUI more user friendly.

I would like to add some more features to Rainbow, but first I need a copy of the latest bug fixed version. Some things I want to add are the explorer gadget, window gadget transparency, and initial window styles to start with. Also I want to make it output some base event handling code for menus and other gadgets as a menu option. All the new code would be fully commented as well as any new output code. Then I will look at the feature requests here and on your site from there.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2005 06:15
Quote: "Also I want to make it output some base event handling code for menus and other gadgets as a menu option"

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=48832&b=18

Feel free to just pinch it, or use it to help you write your own. Go down to the last entry, it has the event handling skeleton.

BatVink
Keaz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2005 06:39
Thanks Bat, but I'm also waiting for Rob's next update to begin that project. I just hoping he includes Rainbow's latest source with it. I'll modify and then submit it back to him for further development.
Keaz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2005 23:23
setGadgetColor was missing from the ini file so I added it. I've attached the updated INI to this message.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2005 23:33 Edited at: 19th Jun 2005 23:34
Quote: "2.The Beta downloads didn't work even after login. I got a message this message: "

Its an Internet Explorer issue.

You can download a patch here.

I'll sort out the latest Rainbow code for you ASAP. Your help improving it would be greatly appreciated (Both by myself and the rest of the Blue2 community)

BlueGUI Windows Plugin
Keaz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2005 23:41 Edited at: 20th Jun 2005 06:04
Nice patch! Well, I guess I'll try firefox. But it does mean your site isn't built to proper standards.

P.S. The keyword changes aren't showing in BlueIDE.
Ooops!! forgot to rebuild keywords
IanG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2005 04:45
Quote: "But it does mean your site isn't built to proper standards."

i think you'll find the fault is with ie

Used to be Phoenix_insane registered in september 2003 despite what the date says to the left <--
PC - amd athlon 2.0ghz, 512mb, GeForce FX 5200 128mb, 200gb, xp pro sp2
Keaz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2005 05:48 Edited at: 21st Jun 2005 02:34
Be being the IE is currently the most used browser, sites should adhere to compatability with IE. Just like when writing a new game you need to work out the bugs for the most popular OS it's going to be played on. I don't expect my app to run on linux, but I would make sure it runs on Windoze whether or not I personally use it.

That being said, I was making my statement with a bit of sarcasm as 99% of his site works with IE this is the only thing that didn't and it doesn't matter if the latest beta can't be downloaded with IE as if a user wants it they'll do it your way, but for non-beta, or what the user paid for it should work with IE as that is what most users will use.
[Edited for Grammar]
As to Firefox, I installed it and am using it. I like what I've seen so far. It is better than IE for me for now. I only hope it doesn't become bloated like Nescape and IE did. I generally stick with MS software for compatability, but even then I strip out 90% of the bloat.

Breaking Stuff=Fun!,Bug Testing<>Fun!, Bug Testing=Breaking Stuff, so...
Bug Testing=Fun! Hmmmm....
DOES NOT COMPUTE! SYSTEM MALFUNTION!
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2005 21:30 Edited at: 20th Jun 2005 21:31
The non-beta downloads do work with IE (I would have had a *lot* of complaints if they didn't!) If you look at the URL, you can see there is some additional information passed to the download script. I just didn't include this with the beta links.

Thanks for posting bug reports on the site btw., I'll look at those when my exams finish on the 30th.

BlueGUI Windows Plugin
Zealous
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2005 14:47
Huzah for Rob! Just ordered (im about ready to start my world editor). However I wasnt able to order form Rob's site. I had to order from TGC (is that the only way to order?).

Anyway, the email I got said 24 hours but with the weekend in there im wondering if I might not get it till monday? Oh well.

Thanks Rob im sure its going to make the next few weeks much easier!

All you need is zeal
Keaz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2005 03:09
Well Rob, Thanks for the update I like the new functions. Is there a way to set the tab order for gadgets for when the tabkey is pressed?
Right now my gadgets don't tab in the right order. Also good luck on your exams. I look forward to good things for BlueGUI after the 30th.

korodai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2005 20:06
Is there a way to make the edit box automatically scroll down when it fills up? I tried repositioning the scroll bar but it doesn't move the text up.
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2005 04:28 Edited at: 29th Jun 2005 04:55
If this is a user-editable edit-box, then it will scroll if the user presses the DOWN arrow key whilst the edit box has the focus. If this is not supposed to be user-editable, then you can use a list box instead.

When a new item is added, use selectItem to bring it into view, and then selectItem <gadget_handle>,-1 to turn off the blue highlight around the item.

@Keaz

Tab order is based on the order in which gadgets are created at the moment. I have added a setGadgetTab function to the next version which can be used to set the tab order.

BlueGUI Windows Plugin
Keaz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2005 04:59
Cool. Thx. I needed that one.

korodai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2005 19:06
Thanks Rob, it seems to work so far.

I'm trying to make a new interface for a text game I made. I wanted to use a small edit box at the bottom of the window for input and a large rich edit box above it for output.

Is there a way to make the items in the list box scroll to the next line if they're too long to fit in the window?
Keaz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2005 05:23 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2005 05:24
In an edit box yes you just set the multiline flag to 1
EX: editbox=createEdit(10,91,180,20,1,main)
The 5th number is the flag.

It allows carraige return(enter key) and wordwrap. RichEdits have this by default.

In a list box each item is one line by default.

Keaz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2005 05:26
@RobK

How did the exams go? How's the update going? Got any new betas you want me to help test?

P.S. I left another bug or two at your site.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 01:18:25
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 01:18:25