Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Newton Game Dynamics WRAPPER v1.30

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2004 11:20
Mr Underhill - lots of things could be causing problems.

#1- you dont' have the memblock dll included. you need to force DBPro to include the memblock commands, as the wrapper uses them internally. put this at the bottom of your code:

function NeverCalled()
if memblock exist(1) then delete memblock 1
endfunction

also, there is no reason to call TreeCollision with the extra ,1 unless you're using a VERY large object, with MANY limbs.

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
Mr Underhill
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2004 13:02 Edited at: 5th Dec 2004 13:39
Quote: "Mr Underhill - lots of things could be causing problems.

#1- you dont' have the memblock dll included. you need to force DBPro to include the memblock commands, as the wrapper uses them internally. put this at the bottom of your code:

function NeverCalled()
if memblock exist(1) then delete memblock 1
endfunction

also, there is no reason to call TreeCollision with the extra ,1 unless you're using a VERY large object, with MANY limbs."

No, I'm 85% sure not either of them.
The reason I have the extra ,1 is because the object I'm setting up is an Advanced Terrain object (a very large object with many limbs, as you said). It can't hurt to try it without that flag, I guess.
And I've got the memblock dummies in place so I don't think it's that either.

Anyway, thanks alot for responding, walaber! This is a great physics system you've got going!

{EDIT} OK, this was a bit obvious, but I don't think newton likes Advanced Terrain very much. I've tried convex hulls and tree collision on the same type of object and got the blank screen both times. I'll re-import the terrain as an .X and retry.
{FOLLOW-UP} Alright, the dummy .X loads fine. I'll have to experiment for a while to get it working.

Quote: "A kilobyte is 1024 bytes, not 1028.
I mean.... not.. that i.... new that already.... i figured... maybe... CRUD! IM A NERD! -Ion Stream"

I feel your pain, man. Wait...pain?!
Oliver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2004 18:05
@walaber

Quote: "Oliver - very cool! does shooting the ragdolls work without any modification? i think it should..."

Yup, all I did was copy and paste two parts of the ragdoll code into the fps demo, I didnt even have to modify it.

Seriously fun
Monster
Years of Service
User Offline
Vehicle bug. When I drag vehicle by mouse its stop physic on vehicle only. I cant move and rotate steering wheels.
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2004 18:37
yeah, if you look at the ObjectDragging subroutine, when you let go of an object, it sets NBD_NewtonBodySetAutoFreeze back to 1... but it should be set to zero for the vehicle. you can usually get it bacl "alive" by slightly dragging it again with the mouse.

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

hmm
Years of Service
User Offline
On the vehicle demo, would changing material properties help the spinning problem? There doesnt seem to be any materail code in there at the moment, just wandering if setting higher coefficient of friction or something might help.

coincidence? how about pure cosmic convergence!
Juso
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2004 23:45
Exes run fine but sources dont compile at all in win98
tomazmb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2004 01:03
Hallo,

I've tried only demos and I must say I'm amazed what can be done with this wrapper. I can only say thanks, because you don't charge for your effort you have put in your work..... rare this days!!!
Thanks again.

Have a nice day,

Tomaz

Why some people take programming so seriously ?
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2004 01:06
It's not rare on these forums.

Pretty much everything is free.
Flashing Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2004 01:11
Yep we like a bunch of hippies

The word "Gullible" cannot be found in any English Dictionary.
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2004 01:11
True dude, true...
Physics coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2004 01:52
Cool! I like the vehicles. I coded it so the truck is controlled with the halo/halo 2 method.

My 3DS object loads perfectly fine in a normal dbp program. But when I try to load it into the Rigid Body Designer, it says runtime error - could not load 3d object at line 539. Any ideas?

-----------------------------------
HP Laptop, P4 3.0Ghz, 1GB RAM, 128MB Geforce dedicated video RAM, 60GB Hard Drive, 17" bright wide screen.
A.K.A "The Uber Computer"
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2004 04:44
omg! you sick man! ive waited soo long for this thanks love you man! peace

This is a Map Editor ver 2 DEMO Out now! http://www.tiame.tk
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2004 07:20
Physics coder - could be the DBPro version... Rigid Body Designer was compiled with DBPro 1.055... what version are you using?

To all Win98 users... I'm not sure how to help you... I don't have any PCs with win98 here... wo I don't know what could be causing the problem...

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2004 07:31
All the demos work on my win98 machine. And they are, of course, absolutely fantastic-- I particularly like vehicles and ragdolls, but they're all great.

The only one I was dissapointed with was bouyancy, which seemed very artifical. But I appreciate that they're quickly designed demos.

Great job as always, to yourself and the Newton team. This has definatly one of the most powerful DarkBASIC plugins around, official or unofficial

Physics coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2004 09:28
I'm using the same version, DBPro 1.055. Anyways, no problem, I converted it to the .x format and it loaded fine.

-----------------------------------
HP Laptop, P4 3.0Ghz, 1GB RAM, 128MB Geforce dedicated video RAM, 60GB Hard Drive, 17" bright wide screen.
A.K.A "The Uber Computer"
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2004 15:40
Mr Underhill - give this a try: there is another function I added that I forgot to put in the docs:
NDB_NewtonCreateTreeCollisionUnoptimized... it works just like the CreateTreeCollision function, but removes the Newton "optimizer", which can sometimes cause problems... it's worth a try. to be honest I haven't tried version 1.30 on an advanced terrain object lately, I'll have to try it again...

Mouse - Buoyancy requires a lot more accurate data to look right... because my demo creates randomly sized objects with random masses, some objects are VERY dense, while others are not at all. that's why the demo is so "bouncy". also, the author of Newton has promised to go back over and make som improvements to the buoyancy system, whic should be cool. Buoyancy is a sweet feature, which Half-Life 2 recently showed. Come to think of it, Newton can pretty much do everything that Half Life 2's Havok physics engine can do

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2004 17:03
Wow o wow. I am impressed.

Dun think any other words can describe it

You know who I pray to? Joe Pesci. He looks like a guy who can get things done. Joe Pesci doesn't **** around. In fact, Joe Pesci came through on a couple of things that god was having trouble with.
outSync
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, I was messing around with the vehicle code, which caught my attention when first announced. I was bored, and fiddled around a bit, and decided it would be cool to make it drive like the Warthog (all four tires turn at the same time, etc). With a bit more modification, this demo could easily be turned into a really nice car physics simulator.

I attached an image of the new 4x4 mode in the demo For those wondering how to do it, I just created second steer angle and max steer angle variables, and set them to the opposite of the original variables. It's just a few extra lines of code, and works quite well. The vehicle handles a lot smoother, and reminds me of Halo as far as the overall feel.

Very nice plugin, Walaber. This is my first attempt at using it, and it's very easy. A little daunting at first, but once you get into the code, it's quite easy to set things up. Very awesome

"If you are wise, you will fear me. If you need me, I'll be playing with my teddy bear." - Garfield

Attachments

Login to view attachments
JerBil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2004 06:02
Walaber, I understand the global gravity and vectors, but how do we set up a sun and planet routine? Thanks.

-JerBil
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2004 06:30
well my next planned projects are destin to fail if i dont use this plugin so if you have msn chat to me, you can do all the regerous testing required untill it works for win98se users

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2004 07:03
JerBil

what do you mean? you want to implement gravity in space?

dark coder - i don't have msn... and to be honest I have no idea what could be causing the problem... possibly some setting when I compile in VC++.net?

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2004 07:15
I've been checking this stuff out for some time now and i must say... well done Walaber!

I am kinda stuck though, how would you set up collision for an object like a table? could you combine 5 different primitive collision objects (4 legs and 1 base) or you can only use 1? and if you can how?

JerBil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2004 07:17
Walaber, that's correct. How can I make on object react to another object gravatationally, or have one object be the center of gravity. (I realize, of course, that in a planatary system, the center of gravity is somewhere between the objects in question.)

-JerBil
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2004 08:41
JerBil - just lookup some gravity formulas on the web... but basically, you would use the NDB_BodyAddForceGlobal. and you calculate the force based on the desired acceleration.

A NOTE when using any of the "Add/SetForce" commands, if you set the 4th element of the vector to "1.0", my wrapper will multiply by the mass of the body for you... so in the formula F = m* a, you only need to supply a (acceleration). however, there are some cases where you want to apply an arbitary force in Newtons (not the engine, the physics unit)... in this case, set the 4th element to "0.0". you can see an example of this in the FPS demo code... the gun shoots with a set power, regardless of the mass of the object it hits. this way you can knock light boxes around easily, while heavy boxes barely budge.

Hexgear - yeah you basically make 5 collision geometries (top, 4 legs), all with local offsets, kind of like object limbs. then you combine them all together into a single Rigid Body. the easiest way to do this is to use the RigidBodyDesigner tool that comes with the wrapper. otherwise, setup your collisions, and use the CompoundCollision set of ocmmands to build it. have a look at the docs... if you have more questions, please let me know.

NOTE - there will be a patch released to Newton sometime this week, which fixes several issues with 1.30. most notably, the vehicle suspension is pretty "touchy" in the current release, and it's getting a big fix. if yuo notice, in my Vehicle demo, I slipped in a "NDB_NewtonSetMinimumFramerate" command... if you remove that, the vehicle is VERY unstable. this will be fixed in the next patch! of course, I'll release a new wrapper once it's released. probably sometime next week...

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

JerBil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2004 09:01
Thanks, walaber. I appreciate the help.

-JerBil
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2004 12:00 Edited at: 7th Dec 2004 12:01
QUESTION - would anyone be interested in developing a "Vehicle Designer" tool? I think is would be a great tool for the community... it could be similar to my Rigid Body Designer, but for designing vehicles... you could possible test the vehicle from within the program as well, to adjust suspension values, etc.

I think the best way would to use my existing .bod format for the body chassis, and then just let the user add wheels (choosing the wheel model), and set suspension settings/travel/damping, etc. then we could create a general loader (like my .bod loader) to load vehicles into Newton projects... if anyone is interested, let me know, I'd be glad to help. I don't want to write it myself, because I want to spend some time making my own games after working on the wrapper for so long!!!

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

aristid
Years of Service
User Offline
NDB is excellent, congratulations!

what would be a "proper" way to move a ragdolls limbs around? I added a global force to the head so it stands, then global forces to various other limbs, its fun, but not really useable.

Ive had no success with limiting the limbs movement angles, I think it would be a good inclusion in the ragdoll example, plus Id love to see how it works! any pointers would be appreciated.

once again, great job!
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2004 15:02
There is no easy way to "animate" a ragdoll... it'd probably end up looking like a marionette puppet! what are you trying to do exactly?

the ragdoll limits are a bit confusing. basically, you give Newton a global vector representing the pin for the ragdoll joint (all ragdoll joints are ball/socket joints for now), and then set the cone limits. it's not too difficult, but it would have made the "simple ragdoll demo" into a "semi-advanced confusing ragdoll demo"... in my opinion, the best thing to do is this:

1) make your entire ragdoll, and finish building it.
2) go back and loop through all of your bones, doing this:
a) find the body that represents that bone with NDB_NewtonRagDollBoneGetBody().
b) get the global matrix for that body with NDB_NewtonBodyGetMatrix.
c) fill the temp vectors with that matrix data with NDB_GetMatrix
d) the contents of temp vector 1 are a unit vector describing the direction of the bone's X axis. this is essentially a global unit vector in the direction of the limb (which is usually the same as the pin direction).
e) now call NDB_NewtonRagDollBoneSetLimits, setting the rotation/twist limits for the bone!

if you need a code example, let me know...

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

hmm
Years of Service
User Offline
I was actually going to make a vehicle designer, with all the said features, plus maybe adding trailers and extra objects to the chassis for more interesting vehicles and even destructable ones (ie. too much force acting on car-bumper joint the mbreak it off!). Though im too busy at the moment to start anything this big now, and im yet to get totally to grips with the plugin.

coincidence? how about pure cosmic convergence!
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2004 03:46
Hey Walaber. Nice work first of all . I've started thinking about integrating it into the FPS engine, and if this works well (which is is so far ), it should be a big part of it. I'll keep you updated.

One suggestion though. Could you make convex hull primitives take into account the scaling of the object, or allow us to input scaling factors when creating it. Cheers!

Isn't it? Wasn't it? Marvellous!
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2004 07:00 Edited at: 8th Dec 2004 07:24
Hamish McHaggis

sure. I can do 1 of 2 things: get the object scale internally, and use that when making the ConvexHull, or allow you to pass the scale to Newton.

I could do the same with TreeCollisions as well.

which do you think is better? perhaps it'd be simpler for users if I just take care of it internally? I can use the object scale x()/y()/z() commands internally to do it.

It's something I'll add to the next update, which will actually be really soon.

[EDIT] a, I just realized ther is no object scale command... I'll just have to make an option where you provide scale as well... clumsy, but will work...

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

jwurmz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2004 08:43
my vote would be for users to manually pass scale values to newton. and it would be nice if it were available for treecollisions AND convex hulls (no pressure though). keep up the good work!

"Creativity is knowing how to hide your sources" - Einstein
ALPHA ZERO PRODUCTIONS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2004 08:58 Edited at: 8th Dec 2004 09:02
hey walaber how about suspension for the vehicles ?? how do i make the vehicle's suspension go up and down ??

[EDIT]
hey VariableS can u help me make my atv work like that ??? and post the source plz

ALPHA ZERO PRODUCTIONS
NEW WEBSITE ONLINE
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2004 09:08
I've just added a new command to my version of the wrapper:

NDB_NewtonCreateConvexHullWithScale

I'll do the same for TreeCollisions as well... both commands will be in the next update of the wrapper.

ALPHA ZERO - what do you mean? yb adjusting the Wheel settings, you can make the suspension tighter or softer...

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

ALPHA ZERO PRODUCTIONS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2004 09:14
have you played halo ?

ALPHA ZERO PRODUCTIONS
NEW WEBSITE ONLINE
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2004 10:31
nope. but if you mean the ability to change the vehicles "ride height" in realtime, I don't think that's possible with the current vehicle implementation. it might be possible by cheating and changing the Mass of the main vehicle body, as that would possible lower/raise the ride height...

but as you can clearly see from my Demo 06, the supsension works just fine in general.

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

jwurmz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2004 11:47
walaber: i'm having trouble with mesh to mesh tree collisions. my tree'd meshes collide fine with box, sphere, cylinder, etc. rigid bodies, but they do not collide with eachother... any ideas on what i'm doing wrong? or is it not possible?

i've tinkered around quite a bit before finally deciding to bug you again, hope it's no bother.

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2004 12:51
TreeCollision rigid bodies have "infinite mass " (aka mass=0 in computer terms). this means that they are immobile, so there's no reason for them to ever collide, as they can never have any velocity!

you can physically "move" a TreeCollision object by calling the NDB_NewtonBodySetMAtrix command, but this will not generate collisions, and will generally cause problems; it should only be used for placing the bodies in your setup code, or when loading a new level/etc. if you need one of the objects to be "live", you need to make it out of primitives, or combinations thereof (aka via my Rigid Body Designer or your own tools).

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

jwurmz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2004 13:31 Edited at: 8th Dec 2004 13:36
hmmm, well if i load x meshes and generate tree collision from them and add mass+gravity they move all over the place, including bouncing off of box, sphere, etc. bodies. here's my exact code:

and a crappy video of the treecoll bodies bouncing all over:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/xt/xt_apollo_download.php?i=451376

Attachments

Login to view attachments
aristid
Years of Service
User Offline
re:ragdolls

thanks for the info, will try that when I get to my computer later tonight.
what I'm looking into is being able to make "poses", but flexible ones. it would be possible if the joints were motorised, like the trapdoors in one of your earlier demos, where you throw the ball and the trapdoor comes back to its original position.
I'd like to make the doll "resist" on outside forces, as much as it can (think punches for example!).
ideally, one could set the "desired rotational positions" of the limbs and the doll would assume the pose, still flexibly taking the hits...
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2004 14:08 Edited at: 8th Dec 2004 14:10
I don't see the NDB_BodySetDBProData command anywhere in your code...

but there should be no way to get TreeCollision bodies to move. even if you set the mass > 0, Newton will ignore it... there must be something strange going on in your code...

aristid - ragdolls cannot be motorized in the current version of Newton, however a MUCH improved character system has been promised for future versions of Newton. right now it'd probably be more troubld than it's worth to do what you want...

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

jwurmz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2004 14:16 Edited at: 8th Dec 2004 14:17
ah yes, i do have that (setdbpro command). i must have missed it in the copy/paste. anyways, what do you make of this? the video plainly shows tree bodies moving and limited colliding...

didn't you have a demo a while back with mesh gears rotating eachother? wasn't that tree collision?

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2004 14:35
nope. the gears were made from a cylinder primitive + boxes for the teeth.

I know for a fact that Newton simply does not allow TreeCollision objects to be active. however to be honest, I have become so used to that, that I haven't tried adding mass to a TreeCollision body in a long time... it's possible that there is some kind of error in the new Newton... if you want, send me your entire code, and when I get a chance I'll look into it.

p.s. these kind of discussions really belong on my Newton forum, click my WWW button to go to my website...

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2004 08:06
Hey walaber, thanks for the feedback! i've been playing around with compound collisions but this line in particular doesn't seem to compile:

coll = NDB_NewtonCreateCompoundCollision

Try inserting that in a dbpro project file and run, it keeps coming up with a "name is not valid" error message... might be my version of dbpro.

outSync
Years of Service
User Offline
@Alpha Zero Productions - Sure. I was just dinking around, so this probably isn't the most effecient way to do it...but here's the code:

First off, make the following variable under MaxSteeringAngle#:

Second, modify the user input:

Thirdly, make sure the tires rotate correctly:

It's really simple, and I'm sure there are even simpler ways to do it. I was just messing around. More or less, it's just making sure that the back tires turn the opposite of the front tires. BTW, this code is just a basic modification of the Vehicle Demo. If you have your own code, just make sure you turn the back tires the opposite of what you are currently turning your front tires.

"If you are wise, you will fear me. If you need me, I'll be playing with my teddy bear." - Garfield
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2004 09:10
Hexgear - make sure you don't forget the parenthesis... it should be

coll = NDB_NewtonCreateCompoundCollision()

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2004 09:52
yep, the table works perfectly!

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2004 19:06 Edited at: 9th Dec 2004 19:07

for those curious, version 1.30 has been downloaded 315 times already since it was released! I expect to see some sweet demos soon!!!

the Demo EXEs have been downloaded a whopping 916 times! they are linked from the Newton website as well, so that probably explains it

VariableS / Alpha Gear - that's really funny, becuase I actually had 4-wheel steering in the demo in a previous version, but I removed it from the demo before release

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Neil19533
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2004 06:00
when i compile the demos they are very slow in comparison to the demos you have pre made. so do you have any idea what may be the problem? i reinstalled db and had the same problem

Any spelling mistakes are totally In tensional.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-26 09:24:19
Your offset time is: 2024-06-26 09:24:19