Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Newton Game Dynamics WRAPPER v1.30

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2004 11:11 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2004 11:14
Quote: "Quote: "with more advanced terrain compatibility"

what exactly is missing?"

Well, the black-screen-and-auto-quit-of-doom would be a good start.
Sorry to be vague, but I'm not sure how to explain it further.
BTW, did anyone else have sucess with advanced terrain and Newton?

Quote: "A kilobyte is 1024 bytes, not 1028.
I mean.... not.. that i.... new that already.... i figured... maybe... CRUD! IM A NERD! -Ion Stream"

I feel your pain, man. Wait...pain?!
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2004 12:29
how many divisions does your terrain have, and how big is the heightmap you are using?

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
FXTC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2004 03:37
I was trying csmimporter for CShop 4.1 with newton and everything works well
Will possible define newton in Cshop 5:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=44450&b=13

AMD 2,4 512MB RAM,2x200GB hdd,GforceFX5700GT128MB
JerBil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2004 05:02
I've had no luck with a 512x512 height map, maybe it's too big?
Ok, I know it's just too big, but wanted to try.
With the ,1 option it just seems to hang, otherwise just closes.

-JerBil
Mr Underhill
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2004 05:49 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2004 05:54
Quote: " how many divisions does your terrain have, and how big is the heightmap you are using?"

Yeah, the heightmap was 512x512, like Jerbil's. I've just tried a 64x64 map and it works perfectly. TBH I never thought about using a smaller height map. Thanks again to walaber, and thanks to Jerbil, also. I love the forums!

I'll keep trying out sizes until I find the maximum that newton can handle. So far the biggest size that works is: 64x64
If anyone has sucess on bigger sizes, let me know.

I mean.... not.. that i.... new that already.... i figured... maybe... CRUD! IM A NERD! -Ion Stream"

dj chainz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2004 06:00
Sorry to interrupt this heightmap fun - I want to create an advanced terrain + newton driving test game, but NEWTON DOESNT YET WORK FOR ME!!

Ive read through this whole thread & tried every suggested solution, including the windows 98 special DLLs. The demos work fine on my PC, its just when I compile in DBPro, it has many "DBPro Compiler has caused an error in <unknown>" errors - once in compiling, once in attempting to load & twice when it crashes without picture.

Heres my specs:-

Windows ME
'Pentium 4' 1.9GHz
Nvidia GeForce 2MX/MX400 64Mb AGP 4x
256Mb RAM

I am the lead programmer at red spark studios
I also have a blog on how to make a game engine
http://www.dbgame.blogspot.com
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2004 07:49 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2004 08:24
good god, you're probably the only user who still uses ME... personally I think that's probably the cause of the problem... any other ME users who have got Newton working?

as for the Terrains...

[EDIT]I found a bug in the wrapper
that made the advanced terrains not work! it is fixed,and will be in the next update of the wrapper!

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2004 23:55
just read the chat log from the newsletter... looks like there will be an official physics add-on coming soon, that supports rigid bodies, vehicles, and ragdolls... aka everything Newton supports.

apparently it will cost 100 dollars, but you cannot sell anything with that license.

anyway, I'm perconally finding myself drifting away from DBPro recently, and am contemplating passing on control of the Newton wrapper if anyone wants to take the project over...

if not, I will probably release the C++ source code, and call it quits.

I've worked very hard on this wrapper, but with the new physics add-on coming, and my own personal interests changing, I just don't think I want to spend the amount to time required to continue updating/improving the wrapper.

any comments welcome!

if no-one is interested, I will declare the project "discontinued", and re-release the current version with the C++ source included.

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

JerBil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2004 00:53
Walaber, thanks for all your efforts with the Newton Physics Wrapper. I'm sorry to hear this news, really, although I do want TGC to do well. I had been wondering why they didn't incorporate your Wrapper into DBP. Guess that question has been answered.

May God bless you and yours, and good luck with whatever you do.

-JerBil
Mr Underhill
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2004 01:59
Quote: "Walaber, thanks for all your efforts with the Newton Physics Wrapper. I'm sorry to hear this news, really, although I do want TGC to do well. I had been wondering why they didn't incorporate your Wrapper into DBP. Guess that question has been answered.

May God bless you and yours, and good luck with whatever you do."

I couldn't have said better myself. If I knew anything about C++ and I had any free time after the holidays, I'd offer to surrogate NDB for you. But I don't have either, so all I can say is good luck, thank you, and God bless.

Mr Underhill
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2004 02:45 Edited at: 28th Dec 2004 06:11
Uhh...1 more thing.
Could you please fix the advanced terrain support before you quit working on the wrapper? I think I can find workarounds for the other stuff.

Thanks in advance!
~Underhill
BealziBob
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2004 05:06 Edited at: 25th Dec 2004 05:07
Sad news Walaber!

You opened up a whole new area of thought for so many people in this community, you will be sorely missed. Even though TGC is releasing an official physics pack, I can still see a big place in DBP for your wrapper. The beauty of the original DBP release was it's unrestricted licencing, something which you have upheld by wrapping Newton for us all. I hope and pray that someone with the same tallent and drive as you picks up the gauntlet.

My own selfish thoughts aside, I would like to wish you the very best for the future, wherever it takes you. I have no doubt that you will excell in whatever you choose to do.

Good Luck Walaber!

dj chainz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2004 05:09
Quote: "you're probably the only user who still uses ME... personally I think that's probably the cause of the problem... "

oh great.... and i'm too poor to upgrade....

I am the lead programmer at red spark studios
I also have a blog on how to make a game engine
http://www.dbgame.blogspot.com
IanG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2004 06:12
walaber - if you do decide to give up on the wrapper - which i seriously hope not as it less bugy than anything the tgc can / usually make, but if you do decide in a minute of madness to give up on the wrapper, then please make it open source so that the community can keep it going

Used to be Phoenix_insane registered in september 2003 despite what the date says to the left <--
PC - amd athlon 2.0ghz, 512mb, GeForce FX 5200 128mb, 200gb, xp pro sp2
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2004 09:46
WRAPPER VERSION 1.30a RELEASED

okay, here's what may be the last version for a while, as I feel I want a break from working on this project, and instead actually make some games myself

This release fixes the advanced terrain bug, and a few others, as well as adding a few new features.

FEATURES OF THIS RELEASE
Includes 2 versions, 1 with Newton.dll included (recommended), and another that requires you include Newton.dll with your project (for Win98 compatibility)

2 new demos! (advanced terrain example + realtime collision scaling demo)

entire C++ source to the wrapper TPC itself!

DOWNLOAD LINK

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2004 12:26
Beautiful!

What a nice Xmas gift for us all

Merry Xmas

Jess.

Team EOD :: Programmer/All-Round Nice Guy
Aust. Convention!
Dot Merix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2004 15:11
Sad times Walaber.. I hope, if you decide to leave, that you will one day come again to take on the project. You've provided the community with a great system.

Thanks for your time Hope to see some great games coming from ya if you decide to give it up for now

WindowsXP Home(Service pack 2), Athlon XP 2400+(2.1Ghz), 1GIG Ram, Ati Radeon 9800Pro 128MB.
Juso
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2004 21:08
The future TGC-physics engine might not be so dramatic betterment to DBP users as TGC says:

"You cannot sell what you make with that [engine] version. But, you can re-sell via TGC. A cut will be taken for TGC and the physics engine provider."

so there will be a place for Newton wrapper forever
IanG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2004 21:10
the tgc are going into weird licenses at the moment aren't they? dsdk - can't make me editors tgc-physics- can only sell thru tgc - complete madness

Used to be Phoenix_insane registered in september 2003 despite what the date says to the left <--
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2004 07:03
my guess is they're implementing one of the following:

Havok
Meqon
Novodex

I understand that they're a company, and must promote their products, but I have to admit I didn't really like how they dogged Newton in the IRC chat. ah well... hopefully some of you will continue using it, and understand how powerful it really is.

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

IanG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2004 08:02
the tgc should write there own - that would give us all something to laugh about

Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2004 08:22
I for one will continue using newton! tbh i don't trust the tgc version to be as stable as newton, the partical/cloth plugin was a huge disappointment, can't really do anything with it if you cant move the emitters and it still isnt fixed , plus its $100 without even a shareware license? man...
Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2004 08:53
Chenak,

All Plug-ins for DBP are done by third party developers.
Such as Cloth and Patricles, Enhancement Expansion and the upcoming Physics.

The reason they are doing the whole "You must sell through us" thing is to keep track of what sales are made, and also, so that TGC can pay their liscencing fee to the creators of the pack, without having to fork out truck loads of money themselves.

However, I think I will stick with Newton for now... And proabably always will.
It's free, it works basically flawlessly in DBP ( THANKS WALABER! ), and it is so simple to use!

Unless something completely revolutionary, or something that has me sitting in my chair with my jaw on the floor comes from the Physics, I won't be diggin into my pocket for $100 at all.

Jess.

Aust. Convention!
DEANO
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2004 22:46
<QServe_CRIRC> JessTicular asks: That Physics engine - sounds alot like Newton...?
[14:38] <RichD> it's not Newton.. it's WAY better
[14:39] <LeeBamber> WAY
[14:39] <rvanner> Way way better!
[14:39] <RichD> much much

How much better can it be, considering it cost 100$, more than DBP language itself.I believe your Free wrapper was and still is the best thing to happen to dbpro since its existence. I feel bad that all that work you've done and you feel "dogged". Not for nothing, I will continue to use your wrapper.I refuse to pay 100$ for limited use and I sure most would agree.

Thank again for all you hard work!
Sorry to see you leave this project!

Deano

"When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge."
-ALBERT EINSTEIN
Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2004 01:15
Quote: "All Plug-ins for DBP are done by third party developers.
Such as Cloth and Patricles, Enhancement Expansion and the upcoming Physics."

hmmm who made the particals expansion? theres no link to a website for support or anything

Quote: "<QServe_CRIRC> JessTicular asks: That Physics engine - sounds alot like Newton...?
[14:38] <RichD> it's not Newton.. it's WAY better
[14:39] <LeeBamber> WAY
[14:39] <rvanner> Way way better!
[14:39] <RichD> much much"

except that it wont be as good as newton, or ever will be... the newton wrapper was/is great because it was updated constantly, when a bug was found it was pretty much instantly fixed and whenever we had a problem with using the commands or implementing them walaber and others were there to help, for free! if he put a price tag on the wrapper im sure we would all buy it.

The tgc version will probably have as much features as the newton version.. might be slightly faster, but the fact is it may never be updated as much as newton and will never have the same level of customer service. I don't mind paying for it, as long as its worth the price.. Personally i think customer care out weighs the amount of features they slam into the product.

I thank you walaber for all the hard work you put in this project and i'm looking forward to seeing some great games from you
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2004 05:23
I`m starting to drift into pure C++ myself, may even come back with a freeware basic language sometime, like walaber I feel TGC are getting too mercenary and just don`t fix the basic problems, working with C++ has been glorious, every bug was my own, not one due to dodgy compiler parsers, flakey IDE`s or bugged functions, I havent put the amount of input wallaber has into DB (spent most of my time helping people in the programming forums), but I do write a LOT of code, time for a change methinks, like walaber I think it`s time to drop DBPro as a lost cause and get serious, cheers all.

Mentor.

PC1: P4 3ghz, 1gig mem, 3x160gig hd`s, Radeon 9800pro w cooler (3rd gfx card), 6 way speakers.
PC2: AMD 2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra, 16 bit SB.
Mini ATX cases suck.
IanG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2004 20:01
well said mentor - if you want a smoother step up try the irrlicht engine http://irrlicht.sf.net it's quite good and might smooth thte transition

Iain
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2005 00:36
Newton rules and i will carry on using that.
Thanks for all the work youve done walaber.
Baggers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2005 10:38
Well walaber, dont be a stranger round these forums, youve done some cracking work in your time here without a doubt, this gave a new lease of life to DBP. Good luck with whatever youre doing, just keep us posted !
Good Luck man
Baggers
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2005 15:06
Quote: "I didn't really like how they dogged Newton in the IRC chat."

Neither did I. I had a feeling they were just in a rush to advertize, but it still annoyed me.

It's a shame you're discontinuing Newton, Walaber, but it's wonderful as it is. Thank you for doing this for the community. Best wishes !

Rpg Cyco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2005 16:22
Yeah, I didn't like how they dogged it either. Good luck with your future projects Walaber!

- Rpg Cyco

Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2005 21:07
Personally i won't buy anything from the tgc till they apologise, i know a lot of people who bought dbpro purely because walaber made this physics wrapper and it made dbpro look 10x better, they owe him
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2005 00:06
well... it's not that serious... it's obviously a sales issue, because Newton is a fantastic system, that is extremely powerful and stable. I personally will continue to use Newton in all of my projects, whether they use DBPro, or other engines.

I'll definately be around on the forums, I was psyched to see Hamish start adding Newton to the community fps project!!

now that the source is available for the wrapper, I hope some people will take it upon themselves to add new features to it! the next version of Newton will include "user joints", which means you can create any kind of joint you can imagine... which means if someone were inclined, they could add "rigid joints", which would allow for true breakable objects!

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2005 03:54 Edited at: 5th Jan 2005 05:15
Hi Walaber, glad to see you've seen the post about Newton stuff. I have this code here from the fps bullet collision module. It's inside a loop that loops through the projectiles, there's nothing wrong with that, it's just that the intersections are detected when I shoot into weird places. It's almost like the world has shrunk into one corner, although the debug model shows that the objects are where they should be. Is there any special stuff I have to do for the raycasts to work. I have included mesh and memblock commands in my program. G_Projectile().pos and .vel are correct, I can see that from the tracers. G_LoopSpeed is just a loop time scalar. Cheers.

Edit, it's not as if it has shrunk into one corner actually, it is only detecting intersections with certain objects, when you test from a certain angle. But it is detecting the collisions in the right place when it does.

EDIT AGAIN!!!

Problem solved! Forgot to increase the world size . Stupid me, I'm now shooting barrels and crates around nicely .

Isn't it? Wasn't it? Marvellous!
CPU
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2005 07:20
hey walaber, VEERRRRY nice plugin, I was wondering if it would be possible to make your plugin run with Nuclear Glory's plugin for collision, it would make much faster i think, and much easier for those of us who use NG for there collision (mainly because you can have any model at all and collision works real nice) well I know it might be some extra work but personaly i don't have enough experence with C++ to get it to be compatable...

CPU

[center]K-OS Battlefields
IS
///---///---///---UNDER CONSTRUCTION---\\\---\\\---\\\
[center]
Cpt Caveman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2005 07:40
CPU:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=44809&b=13

This post seems to show the difference between Newton and NGC near the bottom.
IBOL
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2005 11:43
hey,
i just downloaded newton,
and all the demos are really cool,
but i didn't get the demo's code, only the compiled version.
also, all the help files are for C++,
i can find no mention of DBPro use
did you remove those files from the download?
am i missing something? (i looked a lot)

i can't use this without some dbp tutorials.
help,
bob

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2005 12:48
Click Walaber's sig image and select newton page. Or click here
http://walaber.com/ndb.htm

IBOL
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2005 06:15
The page cannot be displayed
from clicking on your link
bob

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2005 10:15
you downloaded the actual Newton SDK, which is not necessary. you need the package available from my website,

http://walaber.com

the website should be working fine, it comes up for me from several different locations.

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2005 10:21 Edited at: 8th Jan 2005 13:05
It isn't working here now either

[edit] I can't get newtondynamics or your website Walaber.

[edit2] IBOL is your chair near here? It may be our ISPs

[edit3] They are both working again now.

IBOL
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2005 14:00 Edited at: 8th Jan 2005 14:19
my chair is further north from you (pittsburgh PA)
yes, now is working,
now downloading,
will see,
thanks,
bob

[edit]
seems to work. thanks again.

Mr Anderson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 09:52
Thanks for the cools stuff to help with the learning and all that. I love the monkey bowl game. Cheers

Yeah... I love XP but classic mode is where it is at. It is the most stable windows for a desktop. I have an 98 machine too an I would say that is the stablest windows with out the NT kernel.

IDIC (Infinite Diversity Infinite Combinations)
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2005 23:14
not seen the transcript to the IRC yet, didn't seem too interesting as once again kept hearing alot of things that have been repeated.
if you want a break from updating it, then i'll be happy to keep it update Walaber

I mean I have enough experience with it now, just need to get used to C++ again heh
I've tried the professional physics engines and quite frankly I'm going to agree that not only is it stable, free, and fully featured but Newton is also FAST.

That is something that I really love about it, it is just staggeringly fast at what it does.
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2005 16:25
Be pretty cool if you could Raven . I for one am looking forward to one of the future updates with eager anticipation.

Isn't it? Wasn't it? Marvellous!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2005 18:04
heh, well I personally need it for some projects. It is stable enough as is with enough features, but it is constantly being updated by the guys over at Newton Dynamics so probably best to keep it upto date.

1.31 was recently released, so looks like that is what i'll be doing this weekend. Currently putting together my new website, but having a lil problem with xhtml; but meh people can use firefox until I figure out the problem. Great finally getting alot of crap together now
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2005 19:56
Leyvin - sure! give it a go! 1.31 has a new adjustable solver that looks pretty cool, and if you're really ambitious you could add some pre-built user joints to the wrapper (a rigid joint would be a great addition)...

if you decide to release something, I'll add a link to my newton page.

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2005 17:27 Edited at: 14th Jan 2005 17:29
Haha,
Raven, will you actually be releasing something?

It'd be great if you could keep the wrapper a-happenin, but from your track record of... nothing... It's a bit hard to believe that you'll do it

Jess.

Aust. Convention!
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2005 09:50
hmmm. didn't realize that was Raven... but if you still want to take over updating the wrapper, it's fine with me.

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

ALPHA ZERO PRODUCTIONS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2005 11:39
can some body help me plz. i need help adding physics in my game.

NEW WEBSITE ONLINE (best viewed with FireFox)
XboxLive Gamertag: AZP

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-26 09:27:10
Your offset time is: 2024-06-26 09:27:10