Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / User Based DBP Online Help Files

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2005 19:29
Hooray!

Lemme know how it goes, and if you need any help, I'm almost always on MSN

Team EOD :: All-Round Nice Guy
Want Better dbHelp Files?
jrowe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2005 21:24 Edited at: 6th Oct 2005 01:13
At some point Jess, we're going to need a new command set added for all the shiney new 5.9 ODE/multiplayer plus commands (I wouldn't do this until the patch is out of beta though).

Edit: You also need to add 5.9 to the dropdown version number tab in Add Command. I'll probably wait until you've added this before adding any new commands.

Tinnedhead Productions

For Fathers and Sons who enjoy wholy spirits.
just ND
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2005 16:26 Edited at: 10th Oct 2005 16:29
Jes: Are you sure you don't want to get yourself a more reliable host. Look- dbspot is crashed.... AGAIN.

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2005 16:44
ND, thanks, I'm already going to get one

I realized dbSpot went down a couple of days ago now, and am going to get me a host with a company I've used before.
But, University work, and just general life stuff is piling up on me once again, however, *hopefully* after next week, I should have plenty of time to get everything I need set up ( for example, getting a Debt Card to use with Pay Pal ).

Jess.

Etienne
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2005 01:58
Everyone here seems to have one host to propose , i suggest you ask rich to host this , isn't that part of dbpro after all ?

One more thing : how come dark sdk is not listed ? well ... yea that's another stuff that could be added , i'm sure there would be more user based comments on the sdk than dbpro due to syntax change etc .. maybe tricks found out due to the relative "youth" of the program .

The db online help will keep beeing moderated and administrated by us two Jess though .. don't want the stuff to be "oops was yours ?" by tgc . That's something we do for the community yea ok but WE do it for the community

Garage Creator
Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2005 05:19
Yeah, people have offered hosting, and for that I'm very, very thankfull, however, I will buy and pay for a dedicated host and website. That way I know what's wrong when it's wrong

Rich wont host it untill the new Website and Forum is launched which could be a long way away.

I don't have DarkGDK in there as I don't have it, nor have I used it.
And besides, all the commands are the same ( same paramaters, close to the same names, etc.
Most of everything that is already posted is relevant to DGDK as well as DBPro.

And, don't worry, I wont give up ownership of dbHelp to TGC any time soon

jrowe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2005 21:08 Edited at: 20th Oct 2005 21:10
Any news on when Jimmy will get DBSpot be back up? I've got some entries that I'd like to make...

Tinnedhead Productions

For Fathers and Sons who enjoy wholy spirits.
Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2005 06:00
nah, dbSpot's busted.

I think I've got hosting sorted, I'll definatly let everyone know when I do, and when it's available!

In the mean-time, just keep those entries in a safe spot, and make sure you don't lose them!

Jess.

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2005 10:38
Quote: "and make sure you don't lose them!"

Like I did

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2005 11:10 Edited at: 21st Oct 2005 11:10
That's why I said it

It's ok, it'll all come back to you one day

I have hosting sorted - Thanks to John ( Creator of Omega Basic ) from DigitalZenith.net for setting me up with an account ( $19.99 a year, gives me everything that I need! It's brilliant! ).

However, now I need to finally decide on a domain name.

And, seen as it is you, the community, who will be using it the most, I put it to you, what do you want it to be named?

Go to this thread:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=63296&b=1
To have a look at the list I've compiled, and have your say as to what you like the best!

Thanks everyone.
Jess.

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2005 07:53 Edited at: 26th Oct 2005 07:57
Ok, it's all online and stuff...

http://dbp.tgchelp.com/index.php?nav=dbhelp

You can't add submissions yet, but you can email them to me... Instructions are on the site - Just try to submit as normal and you'll get them.

Sorry for the delay everyone!

[EDIT]
Also, if you've added a note or command ( after 29th of September, then I still have them and will add them to the database later, I just don't have time right now, so don't bother re-submitting it ).
The people who did subimtt were:
the_winch, Hamish and jrowe.
Also the command Local was added.
I will get to these as soon as real life leaves me alone for a while!
[/EDIT]

Mac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2005 21:17
You know that is a pretty cool site.

The navigation is a bit wierd but I could get used to it.

What I do like is all that information available in one place, I have often found these forums less than helpful, too many 'I wanna make the best MMO in the world' threads and too many two week programmers who think they know it all and conveniently ignore any threads which contain any question more difficult than how to load an object.

Ok that sounds a but harsh, I have had some great help and advice via email from some of the older members.

But having this reference tool will still be a great help, lets face it the original manual wasn't
Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2005 03:29
Thanks for the feedback, Mac

'tis muchly appreciated, as always.

And, don't worry about the navigation, I'm going to upgrade it all during Uni holidays ( I have 3 months off, phew! ) so it's all professional and slick, but still with the same level of simplicity ( Oh, and I'll make it cross-browser, instead of looking like total crud in IE as it stands now ).

Speaking of which, if anyone wants to give out suggestions of a look, or possibly some design images or even a random colour scheme, then shout out
You will, of course, be credited with design help if that's any kind of insentive for anyone ( but only if I use your suggestions ).

Thanks everyone

Jess.

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2005 13:44
I see you are still crediting Jimmy for hosting the site. Time for a change perhaps?

Great Britain would be Amazing Britain if it wasn't for idiots like you bringing down the average!
Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2005 13:54
Haha, yeah...

It's an exact mirror from the old site.
Even the header still says "jessticular.dbspot.com"

tbh, I don't care until I do the upgrades... It's going to change totally, so when I do all that, you'll see the difference

Red Ocktober
Years of Service
User Offline
great job Jess... verrrrry helpful...

the whole community is indebted to you...

THANKS

--Mike
TFE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2005 15:19
I'd really need help on navigation and menus

If anyone'd like to submit

Oh no! Hold Your eyes! He's here again! STUBBE! AAAHHH!!!
DRAGONBALL!
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2005 08:28
Is anyone currently 'in charge' of translating the information that's up there now to html documents to replace DBP's current (and completely f--ked) documentation? 'cause I'd be willing to start on that if noone else has.

Etienne
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2005 17:54
i'm sure you can without asking , but fight to keep a short credit somewhere for yourself cause you may get "forgotted" after some while if you dont

Sharing is the best .
Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2005 21:25
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2005 19:42
Anyone know what has happened to JessTicular? Adding comments has been disabled for ages. I'm worried it's just going to die if people can't add stuff. One of the reasons I think this would be better off as a wiki.

By way of demonstration, he emitted a batlike squeak that was indeed bothersome.
John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2005 20:02
Not seen him for a while..I hope he doesn't disappear. Anyway, all of dbp help is on my servers, so if he isn't available after christmas I'll think about doing something with it.

adr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2005 01:19
I was speaking to him very recently, about 7-10 days ago. He's at university isn't he? I guess term has ended and he's back at home visiting family. I'm sure he'll be back in the new year.

With regards to the site being dead, there's a complete overhaul in the works which should ease any current problems, and bring about a few new tools.

[center]
iv tryed everything!!!!!!!!!! could u please just add The gun and shooting Code thats All!!!!!!!!!
Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2005 02:56 Edited at: 25th Dec 2005 02:59
Sorry guys!

I've just been doing the whole "I'm on hollidays for 3 months, so I'm making the best of it by being lazy and making a game" thing

I'm not dead, and as adr has mentioned, dbHelp is planned for a massive over-haul ( which he has certainly made an excelent start on - The front-end looks better than ever! )

Given that it's christmas day, my time right now is limited, but come the new year, I will hopefully be back in full-swing.

Have fun ameigo's, and don't do anything I wouldn't

Cheers,
Jess.

PS Merry Xmas!

stupid newb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2005 16:00
I've been useing dbp for 5 days now and all I can do is make a cube that spins. Granted it spins in a cool maner(end over end and sideways) but spining cube watcher just doesn,t sound like a fun game. The sequal is even worse. So I've compiled my top 5 questions.(please don't mock my stupidity)

1.How do I aply colors and textures no mater what color number I type in I only get different types of gray. And it says I need a image number but they have names. do they meen namebers?

2.Can I make my own models if so how? If not why?

3.How do I get somthing other than a cube sphere ect. I know it has other models but I can't get at them

4.Can I import my own textures? If so how? If not when?

5.How do I find my dunce cap size? I need to go get one.

6.How many questions did I say I had?

That's not all but those are my main questions. Please help me if you can.
Etienne
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2006 20:16
i looked at your questions briefly , and this is off topic , you should avoid stickies to ask general questions , try to reask them in the general forum

@ all
Whoever is going to overhaul the dbonlinehelpfile , do you think that you could use the exact same structure as dbpro help file (or similarly) , and display a main.htm linking to the site so that anyone needing help could be reading the online enhanced version instead of the F1 one ?

I've got lot of work to do atm , but if i ever manage to do the thing s ok i'll retry to help for it .

cya later folks

Sharing is the best .
Segan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2006 00:48
Say, what happened? This thread isn't stickied anymore!
Segan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2006 00:49 Edited at: 5th Jan 2006 00:50
Edit: Sorry, Double post
Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2006 01:25
'twas getting a little too cluttered up the top of the board, and as dbHelp is mostly inactive for the moment, I figured it wouldn't be missed, and a new thread can be made when the new version is back online

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 02:45:51
Your offset time is: 2024-04-28 02:45:51