Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Blockman Remix - puzzle comp entry

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2005 19:34
Thanks, Skeletor! And thanks Jimmy, for hosting!!!!

Currently working on BlockMan Remix
David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2005 21:38
Just try 95mb.com

You'll have to register and you can use FTP (95mb space). Totally free, but If you want people to download, they'll have to be on your site (cant hotlink the download file to an external address other then the page on 95mb)

[url=www.lightningstudios.co.uk][/url]
fasdfsdaf
Years of Service
User Offline
ya you can, you just tell them "save target as"

[me]"My throat froze!"
[other person]"Force quit it next time..."
A.K.A Death Stalker
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2005 09:13 Edited at: 16th May 2005 20:01
I should have a website up by towmorrow. EDIT: maybe a bit later than that..

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2005 09:23
Nice demo I like the way you have the blockguy ghosted when he goes behind a block. Only thing I'd suggest is a more dymanic camera that goes where you want it to go, instead of being static.

Final Epsilon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2005 11:12 Edited at: 14th May 2005 11:12
awww... someone beat me to it. :-(

http://www.chaoticvoid.com/cv_projects/blockmanremix.zip

Do forgive me for the slow turnaround time.
fasdfsdaf
Years of Service
User Offline
Bugs:

Random times when going off a block you stay in the air
(mabye) At end of level, it restarts but the blocks are in the same places

Comments:

You should be able to stand by a "un-moveable" block and when you press enter (when holding a block) the block goes ontop of the block you're next to.

[me]"My throat froze!"
A.K.A Death Stalker
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2005 07:13 Edited at: 16th May 2005 19:52
Hawkeye: Great idea for the camera! Just programed it in, and it's going to solve tons of problems I was having with visibility in later levels! You push the , and . keys to make the carera swivel around BlockMan.

Final Epsilon: I forgive you.

Nitrixik Studios: Thanks for finding that bug with moving off some random blocks. I've found and fixed a ton of those, but I didn't know if I'd gotton them all. Don't worry about what happens when you go through the door. That's not a bug, I just haven't put in the end part, as there are no other levels so far. And thanks for catching that thing with putting down blocks. You can now put a block down one above you.

Here's a pic of the demo level using the new camera movement.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2005 11:10 Edited at: 20th May 2005 07:58
It's been a couple of days, and I haven't done much between then and now codewise. But I have built the island sceenary for the first two levels-

As shown earlier, here are the level areas:
-Islands
-Desert
-Jungle
-Spaceport
-Fantasy Nexus

fasdfsdaf
Years of Service
User Offline
I won't be "super hyped" till i see some of those baddies...

[me]"My throat froze!"
A.K.A Death Stalker
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2005 10:56 Edited at: 22nd May 2005 20:44
(sigh) be patient. I'll be able to show sketches and screenshots of the baddies soon enough.

In the meantime, I've desided to give my game a more cartoony look.

I think this look is a huge improvement over the previous graphics, but that's just my opinion.

fasdfsdaf
Years of Service
User Offline
Much better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

when's the next level come out? and are you going to allow some people to make levels? and will you include your level editor?

[me]"My throat froze!"
A.K.A Death Stalker
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2005 20:10 Edited at: 18th May 2005 20:13
The first six levels are all scketched out, so I wont be asking for poeple to design levels. Although anyone should feel free to, cause if they're good enough, I may put them in some way or another. Actually, I encourage people to design levels.

I plan to have the first four levels completed by this weekend, and if I'm luky, the next demo including all the levels I've completed, seenary, all the new updates, and the complete menu, although I may not have a password system implemented yet (if I realsese a demo then at all, that is).

I have thought about adding a level editor, but if I do I want it to be a very good one, which may take me a considerable extra amout of time. So if I ever add a level editor, I think it will be after the compo's over. After all, I already have a request to include the enormus special level from Blockdude, which will take enough extra time to program since it uses a very different physics system .

fasdfsdaf
Years of Service
User Offline
you're talking about the one i keep talking about? kool, that's my favorite level.

so...

[me]"My throat froze!"
A.K.A Death Stalker
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2005 08:16
Quote: " have thought about adding a level editor, but if I do I want it to be a very good one, which may take me a considerable extra amout of time. So if I ever add a level editor, I think it will be after the compo's over. "

heehee, i'm making mine before my game...will be done tomorrow

that screenie looks really good!

"We make the worst games in the universe."

fasdfsdaf
Years of Service
User Offline
Same, just finished most of my editor, just needs some bells-and-whistles along with adding the export mode. I plan on releasing mine with my game...

I still am wondering about that little piece of code ^

[me]"My throat froze!"
A.K.A Death Stalker
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2005 10:27 Edited at: 20th May 2005 08:01
Yeh, I probably should have made the level editor first, but it didn't really occur to me when I started. Making an editor shouldn't be very difficult, as I have managed to keep the code fairly clean, but I really want to focus on making this a very complete game experience first. A level editor would be great, but if it means not putting in something into the main game or practice level, I just can't justify it. If the coding of levels goes quick however, I will try very hard to include one before the compo's over.

As for the piece of code, I hope this answers it.
I will almost certainly get the first four levels programmed by the end of this weekend. I would be able to get a comkplete demo out for sure this weekend also, but I have resently gotton uncanny amounts of homework and school projects to deal with.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2005 06:56 Edited at: 20th May 2005 06:59
Here's a sketch of a likey enemy- I took my time on this one.

fasdfsdaf
Years of Service
User Offline
Are you going to the San Francisco Art Academy or something? that's better than my friend who was (until you came) the best drawer i've ever known. What environment will that be in?

[me]"My throat froze!"
A.K.A Death Stalker
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2005 10:40 Edited at: 20th May 2005 11:07
Actually I'm a sophmore in high school, but thanks!

That's what the final area will resmeble, which I've desided to change from a huanted house to a sort of fantasy nexus in between dimentions to work with the story I'm thinking up.

Here's a sketch of a lesser enemy- (took way less time for this one)

It's in a desert, but that isn't where it'll appear.

Cliff 3degs network
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2005 02:21
looks awesome keep on showing more stuff.
you are talented with the pencil to.

AMD ATHLON 1.8 XP WITH AN GEFORCE 4 TITANIUM 4600 (128 MB) AND 256 MB DDRAM (266).
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2005 12:10 Edited at: 22nd May 2005 12:13
Cliff 3degs network: thanks!

I've finished the frist three levels.

Here's a screen of the first,

Of the second,

And of the Third.

NOTE: I haven't changed the backround to a desert in the third level yet. The beam of energy is the first enemy, and the only one classifiable as just an obstical. All the others use AI.

You may have noticed that the two drones aren't in any of these levels, and that's cause neither appear until the jungle area.

EDIT: I'm almost ready to realese a demo. The only truely outstaning things are the lack of the fourth level that I plan to include, and the desert area backround.

STALKER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2005 22:18
Lookin sweet. At the look of the thread title, I had been dismissing this thread as a budget puzzle hash, but I like it, I like it a lot!

>>>>>>>>>>>MIRAGE STUDIOS<<<<<<<<<<<
>>MEDIEVAL CARNIVAL<->GLADIATOR ARENA<<
Bestotr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2005 03:22
Hmm ... looks cool ....

Good Work !
fasdfsdaf
Years of Service
User Offline
The beam should go randomly on and off, and you should make some "block-ai",if you're in a spot where the block can't be placed in front of (or would be on top of an enemy) then Blockman steps back, drops the block, then climbs up onto the block. And what modeling program do you use? Lookin' good!

[me]"My throat froze!"
A.K.A Death Stalker
Vues3d on Kalimee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2005 23:40
Quite nice result!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great work on this compo....

Guido
http://www.vues3d.com
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2005 05:18 Edited at: 24th May 2005 05:19
Thanks for the comments all!

Nitrixik Studios: Good idea for the beam of energy, but it would comletely defeat the prupose of it. You see, the beam basicaly kills you, which means you get sent back to the starting point, and you drop a block if you were carrying one. But here's how you beat 'em. The blocks in the game are made out of the srongest stuff in the universe (call it blocolium if you must), and thus is indestructible. So blocks can be placed into the energy beam, and you can walk over them! This makes it manditory to have a certain amount of blocks to get over a certain amount of beams, and adds more puzzle to the game.
As for the block AI, could you make it a bit clearer what you're suggesting? I can think of a few diffrent things you may have meant.

Screen of the fourth level:

Sorry, but still no demo! There are still three bug in the game I can't fix, which appeared when more levels wre built:
-At random times when getting off a block, you stay in the air. This seems to have no relation to collision. I think Nitrixik Studios spotted this earlier.
-At random times when releasing the block, it stays in the air. This seems to have no relation to collision.
-This really isn't a bug, but it's a huge problem- frame rate. In the first level, there are seven boxes,and in the fourth there are seventy. If anyone has an idea on how to stablize framerate, let me know!

Bestotr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2005 05:38
Quote: "-This really isn't a bug, but it's a huge problem- frame rate. In the first level, there are seven boxes,and in the fourth there are seventy. If anyone has an idea on how to stablize framerate, let me know!"

Are you working with DBC ?

If not .... then you have a problem .....

try to make several boxes standing together to one box .. witch a scaled texture ..... you only have to write a complex algorithm which manage that ....

easy, isn't it ?
fasdfsdaf
Years of Service
User Offline
get DeleD and make the models and texture. Or:

[me]"My throat froze!"
A.K.A Death Stalker
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2005 07:16
I'm using DBC, but to give the boxes outlines, I had to make them in 3D Canvas, which is the modeler I'm using.

Does that code work in DBC, and what does it do?

Baggers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2005 07:23
Just so you know, a large number of objects no matter how simple slows db down more than 1 very complex object...you could possibly try adding all the boxes as limbs...or just model the whole level and save as one object...your fps will jump up ! (this is much more likely to work than the limb thing which is more of a guess...but someone may say itll work !)

fasdfsdaf
Years of Service
User Offline
...partly what i said

I don't know if it works, or if that's the right format, i'm at school so i don't know anything... but ya, make each level one object, because when you export, i think the modeling programs handle culling.

[me]"My throat froze!"
A.K.A Death Stalker
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2005 09:50 Edited at: 30th Jun 2005 11:30
Well I've converted each of the made levels into single objects, and the framerate's been given a good boost. But there's still a huge gap between the framerate of the first three levels and the fourth one, so I'm still not quite sure what to do. I might just inrease the movement speed and the gravity, but tht sounds like a very rickedy solution to me.

Edit start:
Never mind!! I just had the sync rate up too high!!
:Edit end

I would release a demo by now, but the bug where BlockMan dosen't fall off a block randomly turned out to happen at the same places over and over again, so some of the challenges are impposible at the moment. All of these gilitches are really only large problems in the fourth level, however.

I've also made the desert seenary, so here's a pic of the third level using it.

It's simple, but I like it.

If people think I sould just realsease a new demo now, then I gues I could make one containing the first three levels, although it would be a shame, as the fourth level is very cool.

"If I wanted normal, why would I be here?"
-Me, just before being rushed to the emergency room
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2005 22:00
Yeah I like that background. I tried thid game at school and thought it was quite fun and that was only a 1 level demo.

[url]andrewneale2004@yahoo.com[/url]
http://www.elbsoftware.tk
Axelman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2005 11:19
Hey Skeletor - i was jsut wondering, could you upload the demo for my game to your site aswell? If you want to check out some screenshots then goto http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=54025&b=8

By the way Bizar Guy, your game looks truly sweet and i'm gonna download the demo when i get home from school today.

Cya Later,
Axelman

43% of Percentages are made up on the spot.
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2005 11:20
Well I have another demo, but again I'm having trouble posting it. I tried making a website, but I guess I did something teribly wrong, as there is no longer any trace of it. This demo has the first three levels and the current intro sequence, although still reveals nothing of the story.

The controls are as follows:
You use the arrow keys to point BlockMan in a certain direction, and press shift to make him move and jump. Enter makes him pick up and put down blocks, and space is the reset button. To turn the camera, press the , and . keys. If you want to quit, you use the escape key.

If anyone can post the demo here for me I'd be greatful. If someone can, post your e-mail here.

Axelman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2005 12:48
Hi Bizar + other ppl who want to upload games.

I've found a site that you can upload games to, but it's not really a very good site

They recommend that you give them a link instead of uploading, so that makes it a bit hard if you haven't uploaded it to a different site. Anyways here it is.

http://www.worldoffreegames.com/addgame.php

Cya Later,
Axelman

43% of Percentages are made up on the spot.
Bernard
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2005 17:09
I see there's a blockman thread here. I've made a remake for the 2003 Retro Compo. If you go to my website (http://www.bernardfrancois.com/), then you can click the link on top. Don't mind the old not-up-to-date website.
I tried to match the origional game closely.

in 2002-2003 I used to be active here under the name 'freak'
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2005 08:35 Edited at: 10th Jun 2005 08:38
Axelman: tried to upload the demo there, but I got some complaint about not being able to upload the zip. file on line 72...

Bernard: I tried your game out. Very true to the original, and I think it turned out really well.

All: I've been loaded with womework and studying for my finals and all the tests the teachers cram in before the finals, so I've had little time to program. None of the updates are worth mentioning, however I have mapped out all the levels (including the evenenth from the original) but the last two. The story has been fully developed, and the cut scenes for it in the game are series of pictures, and they're all ready aside from coloring. ONce they're completed, I can post a few of the cool ones here.

EDIT: If anyone can host the demo, please say so and I will e-mail it to you. Until I get a response to this, I will continue to look for somewhere to post it myself.

Axelman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2005 16:24
Yea, i couldn't upload it there either, it's a pretty crappy site.

Oh well

Cya Later,
Axelman

I am entering the puzzle game compo! my game is: The Cat Burglar! i need somewhere to Upload the Demo! Please e-mail me! i'm on Prozac!
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2005 05:50 Edited at: 1st Jul 2005 05:53
Hmm, I finaly got out of school yesterday, and now I have some time to work on this again. There are so many good looking games for this compo... I know they haven't given as much time for it as they normaly do, but it looks like this compo is going to have the highest turnout of quality games ever at the game creators.

The only things I've done since I got out of school are relax, redo my sig and avatar, and build a new menu system.

It's smaller, more efficient, and cooler than the the old menu, and this way I don't have to re-model that very high poly head in the original menu (see first page of this thred). The coolest thing about this menu is that the backround is just sceenary from the game, and I can just have it pick one of the five sceenaries randomly when it opens.

I'll be working a lot on this from now on so I can finish it for the compo, and get on to learning DBpro, which I just got!

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2005 13:15 Edited at: 1st Jul 2005 13:21
I finaly have a website to put downloads and such, so here's the second demo!!!!!!!!!

DEMO:
http://www.cuSound.com/download/games/Blockman_Demo2.zip

It's sort of outdated now, but infinitely better than the first demo. This is the first three levels, with an old Bizar E logo, and an introdution I scraped. The controls are the same as in the screenshot above.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2005 13:03
Hmm... three days and no bad responses, no good responses, no responses at at! It apears that no one has tried this, which is really disapointing.

Oh well, I guess I can just burry myself in a hole and suffocate ... that is if I wern't flat broke. Can anyone spare change for a shovel?

Oliver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2005 22:30
I remember playing the TI-83 version of Block Dude, the later levels got impossibly hard - but it really did provided hours of fun in math class .

I just downloaded your demo and I have to say its looking very nice. It ran very smoothly and felt like a nice complete game (the game-play works really well in 3d) - i seriously think you have a good chance in the competition. Still, heres a couple of things that could be better...

If your not going to animate the character, at least put his arms down .

Having to press the shift button is some what annoying, I think it would be much smoother if (like the original game) you pressed the same key again to move in that direction.

Sometimes the character didn't fall down to the next level when I jumped of a box, though it didn't cause a problem since if I moved again he fell down two levels.

I completed the three levels in about 4 minutes, so I hope theres going to be at least a few more in the final version .

And lastly, remove the line "these pics are reproductions, not screenshots" because its just distracting , and no one is going to sue you for it anyway.

Oliver

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2005 10:37
Thank you for restoring my faith that someone has tried this.

Don't worry about the character, I'm planing to animate him when I get home towmarow. I've considered the thing about the shift key, and I may end up changing the controls for the final version. And the problem with him not always falling... there are a lot of different things causing that. I've fixed most the those since that demo, but I haven't been able to completely eliminate the problem.

...4 minutes, wow!! Remember though, the first the levels in the original were very easy, and even the fourth level I've made is significantly harder. Don't worry about that, I've designed ten levels, and they get nearly as tough as the original game, if not harder. If I get the chance, I'm also going to include the eleventh level from the original.

And forget the opening sequence completely. I scraped it, because it has nothing to do with the story. The latest version of the game has no opening sequence, and it really doesn't suffer from the loss.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2005 18:26
Played nicely and was overall really good. Only problem I had was that sometimes the player ended up non-central on the grid. That meant I had to restart the level so it was slightly annoying.

[url]andrewneale2004@yahoo.com[/url]
http://www.elbsoftware.dbspot.com
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2005 04:19 Edited at: 8th Jul 2005 10:46
Yeh, that problem's related to when he doesn't fall off a block when he should. Don't worry about it, since I've been running through the collision system and fixing it up. I'm pretty sure I've gotten rid of nearly all the colision bugs since then.

Other than that, I've completed all of the main characters animations (there's a pic of the jump animation on this thred: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=53666&b=19), I've fixed a bunch of bugs no one had caught, I've recorded some sounds and colored more of the storyline, I've made the level-win animation, and I've made all of the enemy models.

Here's a picture of the Light Drone model.

I think I'll keep the other two under wraps, 'cause they're way cooler and I don't want anyone to see them until the compo.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2005 10:08 Edited at: 9th Jul 2005 02:35
I just relized that I don't have music, and the online freeware sites I've tried don't have any music that fits the game!!!

If there are any musitions out there that could help me, I really need backround music for
Islands
Desert
Jungle
Futuristic - sort of metalic thumping sound
Calm Fantasy

I know it's a bit late to ask, but I could really use the help. I can offer a name in the credits, and I can build a model of your choice and/or give you all of the in-game models and/or draw a picture of your choice.

If anyone knows a really good free music site that would also be helpful, but I'd rather have original music.

Torq
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2005 10:58 Edited at: 8th Jul 2005 11:18
This is looking great! I would help with music but Im kinda strapped on my comp entry. If I can finish up...It should be done in the next day maby 2 Ill see if I can throw together a few pieces for you. Depends on how things go but its looking promising. I dont think I can fill the whole list though. Im finishing up the sound in my game now. Ill get back to you when I finished.
Looks great real nice.

http://badtempergames.tripod.com

Torq
Years of Service
User Offline
Well Im just about wraped Up Im only making minor changes and adjustments. Ill start on the music to day. Ill make mp3's about 1 to 2 mins long unless you state other wise.

http://badtempergames.tripod.com

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-27 08:25:27
Your offset time is: 2024-05-27 08:25:27