Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Blockman Remix - puzzle comp entry

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2005 01:51
Quote: "...??"

ah, nothing...was just making a referal that you wouldn't get unless you've been to china recently or know a lot about the place...(rising sun = china)

"We make the worst games in the universe."

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2005 05:10
Hmm, do you think it's a big deal, 'cause the Rising Sun is the enemy in WARS, and I wouldn't want to get into any of that political b*** s***.

On topic: I fixed multiple bugs in many levels, as well as redesigned the ones I thought needed to be harder or more ineresting. I also have been fixing things like how picking up a block would also drop it if you didn't let go of the key fast enough, and how the blocks didn't fall underwater, making the water level almost impossible. Also many other improovements.

I'm getting ready to design and build the boss level, but I could use some ideas. It's going to be the bad guy chasing you across a level left to right, and you running away trying to reach the door. This level wont be restricted by a grid, but will have a bottomless pit for the ground, so everything will happen on boxes. if anyone has ideas for it I'd apreceate hearing them (ex, puzzles, obsicals, check points, and other such things).

MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2005 16:13 Edited at: 6th Sep 2005 16:14
Quote: "(rising sun = china)"

I thought japan was the country of the rising sun. I mean their flag looks like ths:

And there flag for the navy even has sunraise.
mm. Bizar Guy. Something I`ve wanted to know. How did you get that cell shaded look? I`ve been trying to do celshading but I have no idea how to make it work on models with proper textures (a la Wind Waker). DBPros shader only seams to work on objects with one colour.

Thank you for the votez!1!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2005 17:33
Glad it works. Sven B is the one who will change it.

[url]andrewneale2004@yahoo.com[/url]
http://www.elbsoftware.dbspot.com
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2005 17:47
MiR: It's actualy quite simple. I don't actualy shade anything, I even set the ambience to 100! What makes it look cartoony is that, having simple textures, and when modeling, making a slightly larger model of the model and making it black and inverted, and placing it in the same place as your model (all in the modeling program). I don't know if that makes sense, but that's how I did it.

andrew neale: Okay.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2005 18:38 Edited at: 6th Sep 2005 18:39
Quote: "Hmm, do you think it's a big deal, 'cause the Rising Sun is the enemy in WARS, and I wouldn't want to get into any of that political b*** s***.
"

ah, no it's not that literal of a relation, nobody would think you are implying china at all...

Quote: "I thought japan was the country of the rising sun. I mean their flag looks like ths:"

yeah, you are right about that, "rising sun" if refering to any country would be refering to japan, but politicly and economicaly i'd say china is the "rising sun"...

Quote: "What makes it look cartoony is that, having simple textures, and when modeling, making a slightly larger model of the model and making it black and inverted,"

it seems like you would end up with a bunch of black models o_O

anyway, sorry for my random comment, everybody keep talking about his awesome game please

"We make the worst games in the universe."

Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2005 18:59
Bizar Guy,

Did you get my music? I haven't received any feedback for receiving it.

Just to make sure...

Immunity and Annihalation makes Immunihalation...
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2005 19:49
Quote: "it seems like you would end up with a bunch of black models o_O"

You scale the object to a negative number. That inverts the normals and makes the object appear to have an outline.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2005 20:52
Peter_ and andrew neale: What I did was in 3D Canvas there's this nifty little button you press which inverts whatever is selected, which means that you see the models insides rather than outsides.

Sven B: Sorry!! I have a bad habbit of not checking my e-mail very often. Yah I got it, and it rocks! Same as I said about 17 posts ago, and thnks again!!

All: I just tinghtend up the controls and everything is running so smoothly it's hard to imagine that there were ever so many bugs. Also, some people might have noticed that before when you restarted a level with a block on your head, that block disapeared forever. Well, that no longer happens!!

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2005 21:03
You know, you really should convert the midis to mp3... Sure, most people have decent soundcards nowadays, but still, mp3 is teh way to go. You sacrifice a few megs of compression for something that sounds the same on everybody's setup

Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2005 14:14
Quote: "You know, you really should convert the midis to mp3... Sure, most people have decent soundcards nowadays, but still, mp3 is teh way to go. You sacrifice a few megs of compression for something that sounds the same on everybody's setup "

You're absolutely right. But for a decent midi-to-mp3 converter, you'll need a little money...

Here's the one that I use. It's great! cuz it uses direct converting technology. Wich means: no background noise.
http://www.midi-to-mp3.com/

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2005 16:16
Hey, It's a new page!!!

Also, mp3s not only sound the same on everything, but you can do so much more with them in programing, like turn them into sounds which can do just about whatever you want, while with music you can do very little (at least in db classic).

I have been tightening up the progam, and have now added a cool water effet to levels with water, and I've bumped up the screen resolution.

You can't tell, but the water's moving in multiple directions.

MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2005 17:31
Quote: "making a slightly larger model of the model and making it black and inverted, "

Ahh. I see. IsnĀ“t that how they did it in Jet Set Radio? Thanks for telling me how.

Thank you for the votez!1!
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2005 21:09
Looking nice!

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2005 19:32
I've made some of the less cartoony parts of the game more cartoony, and I'm thinking about adding shadows. (probably not realtime). UI've also added a very cool lava effect to one of the levels. I'm also going to be improoving some of the seenary, and I'm halfway through designing the boss level. I've also finished a second torutial in the fourth level that deals with baddies. I'll try and post a screen soon.

I'd like to make a movie to show some of the new stuff better, but the vids I make in FRAPS are like 20 megs big!!! Can anyone recomend some better free recording program (or a way to make the FRAPS vids smaller)?

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2005 18:13
Import it into movie maker and save it. You will lose quality but the .wmv file will be smaller than the .avi file from fraps. That is how I do it anyway. DivX I believe has been mentioned somewhere as well to do with this.

Baggers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2005 20:44
I use Fraps and then import into VirtalDub (Google it, it's free !) and use that to compress the vids using the DivX codec...it takes a 120meg file down to about 8meg !

Hope it helps

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2005 21:13
Either Windows Movie Maker, or VirtuaDub.... .wmv, generally speaking, is the best format for compression, but the very next best thing is indeed the DivX codec

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2005 03:48 Edited at: 19th Sep 2005 03:37
Okay, I used movie maker, but the quality isn't great. This video is taken from the water level, and shows some of the updates more clearly.

http://www.cuSound.com/download/games/BMwaterlv_0002.wmv

Edit: I don't know when I'll be releasing version 1.1, as the amount of school work I have is growing fast, and I'm cconsidering adding three more levels, as well as a few cut sences every three levels to advance the story.

Sven B: So are you going to convert Andrews music any time soon? If not, I have plenty of time.

Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2005 11:58
Sorry...

I'm just back from vacation.
I'll do it right away!

(And don't forget to check your mailbox )

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2005 23:33
Thanks!

And I've desided not to add three more levels. I don't think it's that important that the game is kind of short anymore. More importantly though, I want to move onto some far more original projects I've started, that I'm much more interested in.

Expect multiple updates this weekend.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2005 03:44 Edited at: 23rd Sep 2005 01:55
Ahhhhhhhh!!! I've tried twenty different collision types and the blocks only work correctly on the collisions that slow down the game!!!! I'm going to try someone elses collision, I think.

There would have been more progress, but somehow I ended up in the back of a car driving around most of today and yesterday. The worst part is, we did't go anywhere!!! Two days wasted because my family desided that I had to drive around to nowhere with them just so they could turn around because they realised at 6 that we hadn't eaten lunch yet.

Edit: ignore this post. I'm back with a working collision, and I've found other ways to speed up the game. The game also supports joypads and joysticks now, And I've updated the door vid.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2005 19:43 Edited at: 14th Oct 2005 06:03
I'll be posting in the Program Anouncments once this is done, which should be before the end of the year, most likely sooner than that, if I have the time.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-27 20:54:50
Your offset time is: 2024-05-27 20:54:50