Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Why???

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2003 08:00
how does russia look now comparing it to the sovjet period?
May be you now that Russian Federation is a very big country with a lot of other nations(except russian). And all people has their own opinion. But I and most Russian people thinks that there were two sides in Soviet period: bad and good. Bad is that there was a dictator, who gavern the country, and no1 hasn't power to stop him. Good is that people couldn't understand what is to kill somebody or to still something from the shop. They couldn't, couldn't understant such thinks! There were no crime in USSR. And what is now? Burglars, shoplifters, joyriders are everywere!! I'd like to say more, but my terrible english doesn't allow it.
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2003 10:29
woah!! i dont know what kind of school you go to nostril but that is NOTHING like the school I went to, living in North Dakota...

>Somewhat back on subject: You say you got suspended for "raising your voice and speaking up against authority"? Was that really their official reason? And if so, are they really allowed to suspend you for that?

Parents can complain, but a student complaining doesnt get you very far.

>A few more questions on authority and schools in the US:

>Do you still have to speak to teachers in a formal way (calling them for example "Mr. Rogers")?

It's more of a politeness thing now, some teachers dont mind what you call them, others want you to call them a certain way, for example... Mr. Rogers might not mind us calling him Rogers, or Joe.. Usually it was at the discretion of the teacher.

>Is there any student influence in schools in the US?

I don't believe in America this is required by law, but most of my classes we would get a choice sometimes of what we want to go into, via a vote or discussion or both.. In our school we were not to leave campus during the schoolday, but inbetween classes we could group together. In fact me and my friends would go play computer games in the lab during lunch, before, or after school too sometimes.

>Somewhat unrelated: The pledge of allegiance, do people say it every morning? Is it compulsory?

No, in our highschool we did not recite it. In my Catholic elementary school we were required to say it, but only because it was a private, catholic school.. Not really compulsory, whenever we said it it was rather monotonus... Now that I think of it, around 9/11 we were expected to recite it in our highschool out of respect... I thought it was rather cheesy myself..
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2003 10:33
btw, the us is not a democracy, its a representative republic.... tho thats probably been said somewhere in here
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2003 10:40
btw, you were probably suspended because the teacher thought it was best and swayed the principal, or the principal did because it was policy for those who 'act up' in class, which btw, i truly believe you were ok in your actions, but policy or teacher action was against you...
MushroomHead
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2003 11:06
In UK, you can go to your local MP (Member of Parliament) and let him know of such an incident. The MP can literally damage any person's career and will even campaign on your behalf to get rid of that person.

- Rav.
large_nostril
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2003 11:52
About the pledge, it's actually illegal as of now for a school to even take any time of the school day to recite the pledge (according to a supreme court ruling about a month ago) yet our school still does it ever day. In fact, this guy in my electronics class just got back from a suspension for sleeping during the pledge.

"via a vote or discussion or both"
Not likely to influence anyone at my school. When the school decided to dispand all clubs, there was a school wide partition. The students accomplished to get 3593 signatures (out of 4356 students). And we still don't have any clubs.

I guess I was somewhat wrong about schools being terrible. It's just my school and it's damn system of opression.

If you want fresh underwear in the morning, take it off the night before.
The Communist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2003 17:29
yes net eraser, hockey team

Workers of all lands, Unite!
The Communist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2003 17:30
whatever, i'm just stupid...

n3t3r453r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2003 08:13
Ha-ha-ha!! CCCP is USSR. You can't ague, or you think I forget the name of counry I lived in?
If you still think that CCCP is hockey team then US is hockey team too.
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2003 10:07
large_nostril, i think its time to beg your parents to get you in a new school
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2003 10:08
heh..or get urself expelled...but thats probably a bad idea, trust me, im a retard u dont want my advice..
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2003 19:34
Amongst many of the people I know (in Melbourne, Australia) there is this subliminal fear of saying anything remotely "contentious", and if they do manage to muster up the courage to speak their minds it's always preceded by some long winded disclaimer, spoken so carefully that any impact their idea may have had is lost in a menangerie of half assertions or innuendo's and THEN it's followed by an apology!
I'ts like political "correctness" has emasculated the art of the conversation here, not that our accent really helps matters, but still, theres my 2 cents.

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2003 21:55
Danmatsumea wrote:
"..., not that our accent really helps matters, but still, theres my 2 cents."

was that a disclaimer?
large_nostril
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2003 02:29
"i think its time to beg your parents to get you in a new school"
That's what I've been saying

"or get urself expelled"
I can't. It's impossible to get expelled from my school. This one insane biker chick lit the old science building ablaze two years back, she still goes to my school. Another guy came to school with an uzi, he sits next to me in my second period class. Unless I dirty-bomb the damn place... with cesium chloride...

The Communist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2003 16:00
Net Eraser:
i noticed that and realized just how stupid i am =)
hence the post "whatever, i'm just stupid"

Nostril:
AN UZI!?!?!?
just how sick isn't that?!!?

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2003 16:03
Ok, I think its safe to say there must be someone you can go talk to to get that place shut down...or to get the people in charge fired... Is this a private school? Public, some other? There's gotta be somewhere you can go
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2003 18:09
Jerico2day:
was that a disclaimer?

LOL -Almost!

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2003 22:54
heh^_^ oh trust me you wouldve been reemed if it was a TRUE disclaimer lol
large_nostril
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2003 04:22
"Is this a private school? Public, some other"
It's public.

"There's gotta be somewhere you can go"
Yep, I go home and sleep. There's not much point in going to school when you tell teh teacher she's wrong and you get a detention. Anybody now about Richard Wagner, the German composer. Well, I told the teacher(same bimbo English teacher) his name is pronounced rishard vogner. She went on ranting how I must be teh stupidest thing in the world because I can't prounounce his name right. I told, "It's German, not English". Then she said "you truely are dumb. When you live in America and speak English, you pronounce world in English." I simply said "look bitch, when it's in the dictionary and encyclopedia on how to pronounce it, you've got to be pretty dense not to get it right". Well that's a week worth of detention for me.

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2003 04:33
Cussing out the teacher will ussally do that, next time try not to cuss.

Am I a butterfly dreaming I'm a man?
Or a bowling ball dreaming I'm a plate of samishi?
Never assume that what you see or feel is real.
large_nostril
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2003 07:23
"next time try not to cuss."
Probably should but when somebody calls me stupid and they're obviously wrong, I get furious. I need an anger managment class. But anger and vengance is so much fun.

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2003 10:44
So do it in well thought out speeches, profanity won't solve anything. Remember, "revenge is a dish best served cold". Prove her wrong without giving a chance to excape the disscution.

Am I a butterfly dreaming I'm a man?
Or a bowling ball dreaming I'm a plate of samishi?
Never assume that what you see or feel is real.
Skull_Kid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2003 18:07 Edited at: 29th Mar 2003 18:08
Teachers are setting an example for the youth. If they are rascist in the classroom then they are teaching the class that rascism is O.K whennit is not.

Well whatever. Even if they were to come now,
they wouldn't be able to handle me.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 06:55:00
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 06:55:00