Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Unity - The Lua Scripting Pack

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2005 17:58
You know David, an exe with the rpg demo would be amazing

CPU

[center]K-OS Battlefields
IS
///---///---///---UNDER CONSTRUCTION---\\\---\\\---\\\
[center]
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2005 18:10
There's no exe? Damn, I thought I included them

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2005 20:16
Quote: " You know David, an exe with the rpg demo would be amazing"

If you are refering to the thing he attached to one of his latest posts, there is an exe in there.

Tempest - P2P UDP Multiplayer Plugin - 70%
Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2005 20:25
Bought it on friday about 10:30pm
Can't wait to get it

Experienced DB http://www.greatgames3d.com (work in progress site)
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2005 22:05
Cool

Here's a final demo - showing a simple Lua script handling all pathfinding for you. No additional coding required to get it to fit your games. Just plug and play

Once again even if you don't have Unity you can play around with the script there...

Thanks to megaton for the level

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2005 23:34
What I like about this plugin is the attention given to the documentation accompanying it. Full marks to DavidT for this.

Cheer if you like bears! Cheer if you like jam sandwiches!
RiiDii: "I highly recommend Philip's vector tutorials"
P3.2ghz / 1 gig / GeForce FX 5900 128meg / WinXP home
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2005 00:25
Aw, thanks! I always think documentation is where most plugins fall short. I'm glad my efforts haven't gone astray!

The editor help was quite easy - I wrote a program to extract comments from my source and create the help files from that - so as I added new commands, it wrote the docs as well

Just wondering if anybody who's using it has got any recommendations? Feature requests?

Sillybear
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2005 00:37
I will get plugins Next there on my list of must gets

MontanaStar Software
Motunes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2005 08:46
I´ve got the Lua-Plug-in too. I´m so happy with it but it makes the whole "Coding-Thing" easier and faster, and more fun (i think ).

The other Point is, that it is very cool for Games who made by a Team. Anyone can script a part of the whole game like the "AI", "Pathfinding", "Story", "Item-Values" etc. and with some code all can put them all together and the game works

For Changing something in the you mustnt Re-Compile the *.exe File, only change the things in the Lua-Files with Notepad, Save, and start the *.exe

Nice work David

Regards,

Motunes
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2005 10:48
I will get plugins Next there on my list of must gets

Cheers Hope your DBPro arrives soon!

Quote: "I´ve got the Lua-Plug-in too. I´m so happy with it but it makes the whole "Coding-Thing" easier and faster, and more fun (i think ).

The other Point is, that it is very cool for Games who made by a Team. Anyone can script a part of the whole game like the "AI", "Pathfinding", "Story", "Item-Values" etc. and with some code all can put them all together and the game works

For Changing something in the you mustnt Re-Compile the *.exe File, only change the things in the Lua-Files with Notepad, Save, and start the *.exe

Nice work David "

Nice to know! I really do like the plug n play nature of it. I've atually yet to code a large game with it (my time was taken coding smaller scale demos) howver I look forward to doing so. I've been coding serious stuff far too much recently...

CPU
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2005 17:42
WhooHoo... finaly managed to get Rich to get my prize!

and guess what I picked...

Nice job David T!

CPU

[center]K-OS Battlefields
IS
///---///---///---UNDER CONSTRUCTION---\\\---\\\---\\\
[center]
Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2005 10:30
Sent the money on tuesday 1st and paid for it to get to tgc next day it's not even in my order status/Histroy

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2005 22:24
Quote: "WhooHoo... finaly managed to get Rich to get my prize!

and guess what I picked...

Nice job David T!

CPU"

Cheers a lot! Hope you enjoy it.

Quote: " Sent the money on tuesday 1st and paid for it to get to tgc next day it's not even in my order status/Histroy "

They may be on their xmas hols.... If I see rich on MSN I may ask him. (That's if I'm feeling brave. I hate bothering him with order queries he seems like such a busy man.)

Still thanks for purchasing. Hope you get things soon.

Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2005 22:43
Thanks david T when it arrives i'll be able to use it for my games straight away

Sillybear
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2005 15:02 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2005 15:03
yeah have to catch up on my credit cards bills first and get my web site up and running

I spent alot of $$$ here

But just paid for 3DWS Builder and DarKmatter2

and got the download version of DBP to play with already Lost got to reteach myself coding been awhile

http://www.sillysoftwaregames.com Not Active Yet
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2005 15:49
Anybody got any feedback so far? What it's being used for? Comments? Feature requests?

It's all been a little quiet.

One thing I want to add is how to call DBPro USER functions from Lua. I emailed Lee a while ago and his reply was, in a round about way, "no".

Another thing I want to try out is accessing DBPro arrays / variables from Lua. There's a few structures in globstruct that look interesting.

Finally, I'm not planning to ad any more DBPro native functions to the plugin - I think it's best if that's left to DBPro. Don't want to eclipse DBPro now do we

Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2005 17:43
Not even in my order history still

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2005 19:00
They have gone on xmas holidays...

Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2005 16:38
I was getting it for christmas

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2005 16:43
Here, read some tutorials so when it does come you can start straight away!

Attachments

Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2005 16:49
Thanks Lua looks real good thanks for the tutorials

X Trade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2005 18:18
this looks brilliant!
I will probably be buying it as soon as i have the money.

few points though:
-Is the LUA language easy to learn? i only have experience in BASIC-based languages
-Surly you would have to make some kind of limited scripting system in db anyway to know how to pass the data from the LUA scripts to your game? unless the entire game was written in LUA and the DB app just acted as the engine. even then you only cater for basic positioning/control commands (no load object, add limb, etc?) i know you would be having problems with accessing db functions and variables as i read some of your stuff before but would it not be possible for you to have added access to a few more db commands?

e.g. if i want to send data to a variable, i assume i would tell LUA to send the message "objectowner 1 15" or such, then i would have to program db to read this 'message' and set object(1).owner = 15.
i admit that there would probably be a speed advantage, but not much of one?

i'm kinda undecided about this

www.AoFP.co.uk
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2005 19:12
Quote: "-Is the LUA language easy to learn? i only have experience in BASIC-based languages"

It's literally the same as darkbasic. Except, instead of "endif" and "endfunction" it's "end". Very easy to learn and use.

Quote: "-Surly you would have to make some kind of limited scripting system in db anyway to know how to pass the data from the LUA scripts to your game? unless the entire game was written in LUA and the DB app just acted as the engine. even then you only cater for basic positioning/control commands (no load object, add limb, etc?) i know you would be having problems with accessing db functions and variables as i read some of your stuff before but would it not be possible for you to have added access to a few more db commands?"

Wow that's a very long sentence!

If you want to set the value of a Lua variable just do something like

lua set int "variablename",123

You don't need to write your own scripting system to pass data back and forth. As well as you jsut storing data in variables / arrays that can be read form DBPro, there's also a messgae system where you can queue up bits of data for the DBPro app to read back.

The idea isn't that Lua completely replaces DBPro. It's meant to augment it. You write your game "engine" in DBPro, which is basically everything to do with 3D, and then depending on the level you want to take things you can do the following with scripts:

- control AI
- manage game databases
- load settings from files
- allow players to script actions

The uses are so far ranging that it's hard to cover it in a paragraph! If you let me know what you fancy doing I can go into more detail.

Re: more DBPro functions - I'm not sure. The idea is that scripting separates logic from the game - scripting is meant to allow people to change what happens in a game quickly without worrying about the 3d side. A good example of using scripts is FPSC.

Quote: "e.g. if i want to send data to a variable, i assume i would tell LUA to send the message "objectowner 1 15" or such, then i would have to program db to read this 'message' and set object(1).owner = 15."

If you wanted to tell Lua to set a variable to a value, you use the functions LUA SET INT / FLOAT / STRING. These are available in DBPro - no need to delve with messages. The message system is for when you want to send notices back to the DBPro program that can't be expressed in variables. For example, if you have a function in Lua that checks to see if a level is over:

And then each game loop the dbpro program checks its messages and acts upon what it finds...

If you wanted to set the value of a DBPro variable from Lua, there are two things you can do. You can set the dbpro variable after the script runs

or you can send a message back like so

Jan 1st Newsletter there'll be an article about using Unity in a game - might be worth reading, it's pretty good.

David

X Trade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2005 19:27
thank you.
i think i already understood most of that.
i jsut wasn't sure if it was reliable sending two messages in a row, but i think that would work.

e.g.
send message "set health"
send message "1"
send message "15"

should work i assume

i'm not really sure what i want it for, jsut think it might be useful.
my main project is a Space Sim... and i think it would be useful for controling my ship's AI, and as you said (and i said), i would probably script most of the game and write the 3d engine in DB, which would be great as im doing a complete re-write right now.
it may also be useful for my database program (like ms access, but CLI based)

one more thing:
is it possible to have a continuous, looping script in LUA?
kind of like a paralell process?
e.g. i initiate a LUA script that has various information and processes vital to say, debuging my application, and it passes information back to the DB app whilst it is running (so that DB doesn't wait for the LUA script to finish executing.
or maybe a line-by-line approach? (similar use to the db sync command in the way that it only updates the screen when you tell it to, maybe we could have control over when LUA reads the next line of a system?

and there was something else....
oh yes, can LUA functions in a different file be called from another LUA script? (like #include files) and global variables that are passed over throughought the execution?
umm, e.g....
a value of a ship's hull plating rating, which changes throught the game, but is stored constantly throughout the application, so that it is changed when needed but stored other times? (this is kinda related to the constant-execution stuff)

www.AoFP.co.uk
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2005 23:37
Quote: "One thing I want to add is how to call DBPro USER functions from Lua. I emailed Lee a while ago and his reply was, in a round about way, "no"."

That'd be possible nonetheless. Either during compile-time with a kind of pre-processor, or during run-time with "registering calls" of functions. Sure, it'd be much nicer if function pointers were supported natively- but well...

Play Nice! Play Basic! Version 1.089
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2005 23:45 Edited at: 24th Dec 2005 23:45
Yep. I'm going to get back to him with a few ideas.

Cheers

@X Trade - I will reply in detail tomorrow.

Deadwords
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2005 18:06
DavidT, forgot the 5.8 compatibility, i upgraded to 5.9, but i have a 5.8 Backup hehe...

Skalex - Nobody can ear you scream ... you're on a forum!
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2005 23:51
Sorry for the dely in replying. I wrote a longish reply this morning, left it, came back, and closed the browser forgetting I hadn't sent it.

There's no trial atm as a trial version requires a separate product code built into the compiler. A new code can only be distributed when an update is distributed. Rich says they may be able to do a trial mid-january (along with an update I suppose).

Quote: "DavidT, forgot the 5.8 compatibility, i upgraded to 5.9, but i have a 5.8 Backup hehe..."

Cool, let me know how it goes on.

Right, X trade. I'll read through and comment...

Quote: "thank you.
i think i already understood most of that.
i jsut wasn't sure if it was reliable sending two messages in a row, but i think that would work."

You can use the messgae system however you want. Queue up action to take, pure notification of events, etc. They're stored in a queue so there's reliability to worry about

Quote: "e.g.
send message "set health"
send message "1"
send message "15"

should work i assume "

Each message can have a bit of data associated with it. So from Lua you could do

personally I'd steer away from DBPro storing the play data, and have it all stored in Lua, and get DBPro to query the lua array with the data when it needs it. But that's just me - there's no right or wrong way of going about it.

Quote: "i'm not really sure what i want it for, jsut think it might be useful.
my main project is a Space Sim... and i think it would be useful for controling my ship's AI, and as you said (and i said), i would probably script most of the game and write the 3d engine in DB, which would be great as im doing a complete re-write right now.
it may also be useful for my database program (like ms access, but CLI based)"

Def. useful for a database program. Insanely useful in fact. You can even do sorts etc. on data. Might want to have a look at what "lua tables" can do on google.

Quote: "one more thing:
is it possible to have a continuous, looping script in LUA?
kind of like a paralell process?"

No. It's not truly multithreaded. When you call Lua the dbpro app pauses while the lua executes. This isn't as restrictive as it sounds...

I like to think of the relationship between dbpro / lua as one of events and triggers. To give an example:

- You want to add a new type of enemy to the game

- You write a script detailing how an enemy reacts to certain situations:

these functions define how the type of ship behaves. Then in your game you might want to add an ew ship to the sim, a Gunship.

- Each loop your dbpro app looks at what's happening, and if a ship attacks then the dbpro looks up what type of ship it is and it calls the appropriate Lua function.

- The lua functions then may send messages back to the dbpro app if anything like explosions etc. need to take place.

As you can see Lua is literally loadable logic! This sort of flexibility means people can write their own scripts - their own types of ships - then add them to the game themselves. A moddable game

Quote: "e.g. i initiate a LUA script that has various information and processes vital to say, debuging my application, and it passes information back to the DB app whilst it is running (so that DB doesn't wait for the LUA script to finish executing.
or maybe a line-by-line approach? (similar use to the db sync command in the way that it only updates the screen when you tell it to, maybe we could have control over when LUA reads the next line of a system?"

Sorta answered above. Best to let DBPro drive the actual game, and use Lua for the finer bits that can easily change. Kinda like HTML defines a page layout, but CSS tidies up.

Quote: "and there was something else....
oh yes, can LUA functions in a different file be called from another LUA script? (like #include files) and global variables that are passed over throughought the execution?"

Yes.

Quote: "umm, e.g....
a value of a ship's hull plating rating, which changes throught the game, but is stored constantly throughout the application, so that it is changed when needed but stored other times? (this is kinda related to the constant-execution stuff)"

Variables declared outside of a function are globals and available to everybody. Same with functions - available everywhere. Unless specific, variables from inside a function are not global and reside only within that function.

Phew. Hope it helps.

Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2005 00:19
Still haven't got it i got a laetter asking for my e-mail lol now i've got to wait longer still

Deadwords
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2005 04:24
DavidT, i will buy Unity in the next 3 days, i promise you. I saw your PDF and it seems completly awesome. This is exactly what i wanted. I have very good plans for using it... i don't saying them, i don't want to have my ideas stealed muahahaha... ok joke lol...

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2005 12:08
Cool Glad it can be of use.

Quote: "Still haven't got it i got a laetter asking for my e-mail lol now i've got to wait longer still "

Hmm, did you give them your email address along with the money you sent? They need it to confirm who you are - all your purchases, etc are tracked through email address

Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2005 18:56 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2006 12:17
Just arrived

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2006 12:41
Hi All

Just an update to let you know that there's a fantastic tutorial on getting started with Unity and Lua in the recent newsletter:

http://www.thegamecreators.com/data/newsletter/newsletter_issue_36.html#7

Even if you don't have Unity yet you can try it out for yourself - since all the logic is in external scripts anyway

Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2006 12:45 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2006 13:00
Now my copy has arrived i can start on it hope my hd has a lot of space left i had to get another 80 gb one

From my order history (Mods remove this if it's not allowed i wasn't sure)

Quote: "Invoice Date: Wednesday 21st December 2005

Date Despatched: Monday 02nd January 2006
"

I got it today must build decent game now

Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2006 13:16 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2006 13:17
Fixed it i just had to reboot dbpro sorry

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2006 13:34
Heehee, you didn't even reboot DBPro? That's eagerness

I suggest following the tutorials... then perhaps looking at the examples.

Good luck.

Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2006 13:43 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2006 14:14
Thanks i just have to try this does it work with c++ ? i noticed there was like

Quote: "LUA NEXT

Gets the next message from the queue.

Returns
An integer specifying whether a new message was retrieved.
Parameters
(None)
Usage

DBPro code:
while lua next()
print lua message desc()
endwhile

Lua code:
SendMessage("pop")
SendMessage("goes")
SendMessage("weasel")
"

What's the Lua code there for because i noticed that only
Quote: "
DBPro code:
while lua next()
print lua message desc()
endwhile
"

is highlighted

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit:
Some error i got about parameters at

rem
0 = load lua ("chase.lua")
1 = load lua ("chase.lua")
2 = print "Error in syntax"

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2006 15:53
Quote: "What's the Lua code there for because i noticed that only "

Unity ties together Lua and DBPro. You need to execute that Lua code, then use that DBPro code to retreive the messages that the Lua lodged. All that code isn't meant to be copied into DBPro. Put the bit under "lua code" in a file, load it as a script then run that dbpro code. The same way you might load na image then mess around with it.

Quote: "Edit:
Some error i got about parameters at

rem
0 = load lua ("chase.lua")
1 = load lua ("chase.lua")
2 = print "Error in syntax""

Dunno what you're doing there - load lua returns one parameter, so you'd do something like...

you can't assign a value to a number, which is what I think you're doing...

Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2006 16:10 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2006 16:17
Thanks i'm trying to make a tutorial for you that i'll post

Edit:

Dbpro is saying the lua commands don't exsist

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2006 18:50
Which ones...

Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2006 19:13 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2006 19:13
well this is all my lua code

it stops on

lua execute

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2006 19:23
lua execute is a command that takes a string (some Lua code to execute) and has one return value (Error code). Like so

that's why it's going wrong.

Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2006 20:09
Thanks i'll have to look at it more i think that's hey if you've got msn would you add me to your msn then you could help me a bit more i wouldn't bother you all the time

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2006 19:03 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2006 19:03
It's okay, you can use this thread for help.

So what's your tutorial going to be about?

Deadwords
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2006 20:27
I ordered Unity I can't wait to have it

Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2006 21:48
Well like 3d nav points gonna see what chase.lua does it sounds cool then going to combined it with bluegui i have an idea for the ultimate game as well combined unity blue gui and dbp all together with t.ed geoscape 3d and texturemaker demo (From www.texturemaker.com it's an unlimited one ) then match it with ode something worth reading

@Skalex
It's a powerful dll

Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2006 21:53
Sorry to double pos but i loaded an example and got an error screen attached

Attachments

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2006 21:58
Hmm, looks like there's something wrong with your dll installation. It's not recognising LOAD LUA as a command. What's in your plugins-licensed folder? Have you done anything since installing Unity to your dbpro setup?

Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2006 22:10
i haven't touched my dbpro installer since i installed it ages ago just found something in the folder

Quote: "[VERIFICATION REPORT]
LUA.dll=NOT VALID"

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2006 23:17
Have you verified it?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-26 10:31:05
Your offset time is: 2024-06-26 10:31:05