Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Unity - The Lua Scripting Pack

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2006 23:19
using tgc verifer?

Experienced DB http://www.greatgames3d.com (work in progress site)
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2006 11:24
Yes. I think during hte verification process you should get a product code through your email...

Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2006 18:00
I've got a serial number but it says it isn't valid serial

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2006 19:59
@DBMad, are you using the email address you ordered it with?

Right, onto general things. Been making some headway on features I want to implement into the next update of Unity. I *hope* to have commands such as

Everything's still a bit rough. More details when they become available.

Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2006 20:40
yep no idea why it won't work

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2006 21:45
Hmm. Contact support. Did you encounter any difficulties registering? Tried it more than one from different pcs?

Sorry you're having all these problems

Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2006 21:52
I suppose contacting support would be best

Quote: "Sorry you're having all these problems "

no problem at all i think its the serial i was sent is wrong it says lua has a 128 character serial then when i copy all my serial it says the serial isn't 128 characters

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2006 22:02
aaah that will be it. Are you sure it's not 128 chars? is word wrap on?

If you want you can forward the email with the serial to me address below and I'll email you back with what I think the serial is. After all, won't be doing any harm - it's my software!

Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2006 22:10
i'll send it now just gonna quote it to say that you said so i don't get in trouble

Quote: "David T
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
aaah that will be it. Are you sure it's not 128 chars? is word wrap on?

If you want you can forward the email with the serial to me address below and I'll email you back with what I think the serial is. After all, won't be doing any harm - it's my software!
"

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2006 00:52
Heard Rich got it working. Tip - next time when you have to type in a 128 digit code, use copy+paste!

Deadwords
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2006 03:54
Quote: "Tip - next time when you have to type in a 128 digit code, use copy+paste!"

Yea when i saw my serial code in my approval email i copy-pasted it lol... too long to type

Skalex - Nobody can ear you scream ... you're on a forum!
Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2006 18:20 Edited at: 5th Jan 2006 18:21
Quote: "Heard Rich got it working. Tip - next time when you have to type in a 128 digit code, use copy+paste! "

yeah rich got it working in the end thanks for the quick reply on the e-mail

tpfkat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2006 18:26
after reading about lua....does it mean that lua can do things dbpro cant...meaning dbpro is in fact limited to its uses.
so what is lua like,basic,c or what and what is the actual point/gain in using it apart from even more commands that i would have to search the whole net for??
what can it actually do ( and not do also).

the programmer formarly known as thicko.
Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2006 20:14 Edited at: 5th Jan 2006 20:14
it was used for half life this is a dbp remake for it

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2006 21:42 Edited at: 5th Jan 2006 21:44
Hi David

I'm thinking about getting LUA for my current game project "SpaceBattle Shootout" - http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=68136&b=8

Now before i'm chosing this LUA I need to make sure that it can be helpfull from my point of view and if i'm selecting it for the right reasons. I like the idea about it because:

*It makes my main source code much more well-arranged and easir to read

*This way I won't have to compile all the time to make changes, just change some scripts and run the exe!

*I can easely update functionality parts of the program etc, lets say I got an AI script for my program. I've just updated it. Instead of uploading the whole project again, I could just send a very small script file, and ask the user to overwrite the old script with the new updated one. Much faster! And fill less space on the uploading account

*It would be a much easier and well-arranged development enviroment for me.

Could you please tell me if it would be usefull to chose with my points of views of using it? And if you got other things to add, that also would make it easier with LUA, then PLEASE tell me

Free Particle Engine for DarkBasic Pro:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=60141&b=5
tpfkat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2006 22:20
aaahhhhhhh

the programmer formarly known as thicko.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2006 22:38
Yep Nerd, all of what you said it true.

Also some other things I find very useful:

- Lua's arrays are much better than DBPro's. Now if I ever need a large array, eg to store enemy data, or a game database, I'd use Lua. Lua arrays can be indexed via string (have you ever wanted to sote a value next to a string? You can now! ) and can have textual subkeys as well.

- Data description. DBPro's file commands are good but need a bit of work to get a system going. And if you want a fully flexible system (i.e. like so

it requires a lot of coding. Well with Unity calling come command will load all of that and file it for you, so all you need to do is pass "Name" or "Age" and it'll tell you the value The same can be done for arrays. V useful for save games.

Hope it helps

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2006 15:11 Edited at: 7th Jan 2006 15:14
Thanks for the answer David!

I'm still really unsure whetever I should get this or not. I got some questions

1. In Unity you can operate with changing variables etc... Why not use DarkBasic Pro to open and read your own files with variables? This would be cheaper, and this way you could also change parts in the game without re-compiling. You would not get all the functualitys from Unity like the arrays and object orintation thought.

2. I know script systems like this is good in team enviroments... But I don't got that big a team So it would not be helpfull here.

Quote: "it requires a lot of coding. Well with Unity calling come command will load all of that and file it for you, so all you need to do is pass "Name" or "Age" and it'll tell you the value"

So instead of have to do a:

you could just load a whole file with like 2 commands in Unity?

Beleive me... I REALLY wanna get convienced to use this with DarkBasic Pro more than anything else... I just can't see the good sides of using LUA with DarkBasic Pro I can understand it with c++ thought.

Would you be nice to list some good sides of using Unity? And why that would be better than using DarkBasic Pro for those parts? I've even read the article you're linking to on the purchasing site... But in that article they only talk about it being good in team enviroments, I don't got a team... They also talk about it being good, so you won't have to re-compile all the time since it would take hours in a big project. I don't got a that big source code, so it dosn't take long to compile it anyways...

I'm really fooling around with thoughts about why using it But I just can't find good arguments And I really wanna find them!

-The Nerd

The 1nteger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2006 15:21 Edited at: 7th Jan 2006 15:22
Hi David T ,

Congrats with the lua plugin, but i'm wondering, is there a way to write directly to the file akin to the way you would with the dbpro command 'Write String filenum,String$'

thanks in advance

EDIT Wow, i created my first 4th page post (i think)

Leroy Frederick - Director / Lead Designer - ETERNAL SYNDROME™ ONLINE: www.ETERNALSYNDROME.com ETERNAL SYNDROME™ - “Play Your Emagination!”™
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2006 15:36
Hi,

Thanks alot!

Yep there is - Lua has its own File IO commands.

You can read through the I/O section here: http://www.lua.org/pil/21.html (click the arrows to move around)

That's a bit daunting at first, so here's some simple code I've gleaned off the net:

I think there's also a file:write method too.

Yep, I'm right. You can read more about input, output and files here: http://www.lua.org/manual/5.0/manual.html#5.6

Lua merges IO (e.g. for screen output) and File IO into much the same thing for simplicity. So for example, io.write and file:write() are very similar in terms of behaviour.

That was a lot of random info, so tell you what, tonight I'll make a simple file IO example and post it up

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2006 15:45 Edited at: 7th Jan 2006 15:46
David T:

Did you not read my new post on the previouse site? The last post on the that site it is.

I got quite alot questions

-The Nerd

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2006 15:55
Quote: "1. In Unity you can operate with changing variables etc... Why not use DarkBasic Pro to open and read your own files with variables? This would be cheaper, and this way you could also change parts in the game without re-compiling. You would not get all the functualitys from Unity like the arrays and object orintation thought.

So instead of have to do a:

+ Code Snippet
open to read 1,"blabla.myScript"
read string 1,wooo$
close file 1

you could just load a whole file with like 2 commands in Unity?"

Those two are sorta connected so I'll answer both. The example you give is easy. Read one string, close file. However the DBPro code required to say, read files, read in identifiers, cope with strings / numbers / floats, read in data in any order, read in lists etc spirals very quickly. So I suppose the usefulness in terms of data description depends largely on how much you'll use files. If you just store 1 string, then using dbpro would probably be easier. But if you had a file like so

It would require a great deal of DBPro code to robustly load that in and store each bit of data against their descriptors.

If somebody can load the above in 2 lines, I'd be impressed

Some time in Jan there's going to be a demo out. You can then use it for yourself and make your own mind up. But for me the three best bits are:

- Having logic separated from DBPro code. Faster compiles. When you have a proper game engine running, it's also a lot simpler just to reference a loaded "chunk" of logic rather than having a long set of IFs in dbpro like so:

It's a lot easier just to do something like

If your game is set up really well this allows you to add new type of unit to a game without touching the DBPro code once.

- Data storage. It's just easier to have complex, multidimensional arrays in unity. In DBPro you cannot do

in unity you can.

- Equation solver. Pretty cool imo!

The point is, the "12+y" bit can change dynamically at run time. if you just did

x=12+y

in DBPro it's stuck as 12+y until you change the dbpro code and recompile.

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2006 15:55
Quote: "David T:

Did you not read my new post on the previouse site? The last post on the that site it is.

I got quite alot questions

-The Nerd"

Oi. As soon as I posted that I went back a page, saw your post and spent ages writing a reply for you!

Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2006 16:05
Hi where are the other .lua files all i see is chase .lua

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2006 16:10
Which ones do you want...

Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2006 16:12
something to make way points with e.t.c

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2006 16:14 Edited at: 7th Jan 2006 16:16
I'm now getting the hang of it now! And it sounds nice! Now my only question left must be. That you say that storing this in a Unity script would be easier than storing it in dbpro:

And indeed I agree with you here! The only place I place a question mark is that in those if statements you set something that it would do if this variable is = something... Now in Unity could you write it like this:

Or would it be like:

Then bring this integer of "showCheese" back to darkbasic. Then in darkbasic have a code that would say:

Would it be something like this? Or can you actually have darkbasic code running in a Unity script? (almost sure you can't do this I just wanna be sure).

-The Nerd

Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2006 16:18
Woot this is like instant messaging it's more of

r=load lua "ship.lua"

e.g

Makes the cube follow you around

The 1nteger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2006 16:39
Nice 1 David T, look forward to the IO example, well done on the speedy support as well

Leroy Frederick - Director / Lead Designer - ETERNAL SYNDROME™ ONLINE: www.ETERNALSYNDROME.com ETERNAL SYNDROME™ - “Play Your Emagination!”™
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2006 16:41
Quote: "I'm now getting the hang of it now! And it sounds nice! Now my only question left must be. That you say that storing this in a Unity script would be easier than storing it in dbpro:"

Glad you're getting it!

There are a few ways round it. The showCheese = 1 way would work although my personal method would be to use the message queue - a data structure where you can load a list of things to do and your dbpro app each loop goes through it doing stuff.

So say if you had a function in Lua called Cheese:

in DBPro in the main loop you'd have something like this

While that looks like a long way round for that ismple example, in a large game it's a godsend. For example, in IanT's RPG he uses Lua to deal with most entities, and for example if he wants a particle effect to appear somewhere he then does something like

and the dbpro app would then read that data and put particles there.

The idea is to have things like ai, stories, behaviour - things that change a lot - to be controlled from Lua. Then things that stay the same - 3d, particles, effects can be programmed in DBPro and can act like a toolbox for Lua to use. That way, people can mod your games and create new levels etc

I hope in the next Unity update to allow you to call functions written in DBPro from Lua scripts. That'll make things unbelievably easy then - no need for shuffling messages around then.

Quote: " something to make way points with e.t.c"

Dissect the Warehouse example - that has a little waypoints script I rustled up.

Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2006 16:46
Where is it i can't see it

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2006 17:05
In the zip I sent to Mike J it was in a folder called "Examples".

Check your DBPro/Help/Unity folder.

When Mike is next online I'll ask him where everything is installed to. I have no idea myself!

Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2006 17:07
Not in the help file's

The 1nteger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2006 17:35
it should be in the start menu under '\The Game Creators\Expansion Packs\Unity' or in your dbpro directory '\Dark Basic Professional\Examples\Unity\Warehouse' called 'Waypoints.dbpro', if you can't find it, try a search for 'Waypoints.dbpro' under your dbpro program folder

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2006 17:49 Edited at: 7th Jan 2006 17:49
@David T:

Thanks for the help mate!

French gui
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2006 21:07
Quote: "Weapons("sword").Health = 1"

Can you explain this one please? Do you mean if I code:
weapons(32)="sword" I can get: weapons("sword")=32?
Sorry if I totally misunderstood...

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2006 21:20
Basically you can have an array, except that instead of being indexed by numbers, i.e.

each bit of data is stored against a string. So if you wanted to store ages

etc.

French gui
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2006 22:43
Ok, thanks . And I want, for example to know the average age of all people, with DB I code:

How is it done with strings indexs?

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2006 00:04
Okay, I've made my choice... And I'm gonna get this

Wouldn't Unity also be perfect for something like game engines?

-The Nerd

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2006 00:47
Quote: "How is it done with strings indexs?"

using this Lua code

(note: may not be word perfect. But you get the gist...)

You could also use the command LUA ITERATE ARRAY from DBPro and list them that way.

Quote: "Wouldn't Unity also be perfect for something like game engines?"

Yup, that's one of the main reasons scripting engines are made! Perfect for "engine" games. Your minigame ragdoll monkey bowling sort of affair isn't that suited to scripting. But large, scaleable, expandable games definately need scripting.

I've just seen some work people have done with Unity. Astounding stuff.

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2006 01:06 Edited at: 8th Jan 2006 01:11
I just sat and wrote some code for my game(SpaceBattle Shootout). And it just occoured to me how many if statements I got in the code that I could get rid of by placing them in Unity scrips! I'm so much gonna get this!

Thanks for all the help David!

Something like this:

I could pack into Unity etc right? Because if I can that... I got tons of that, that I could pack down in Unity script.

But is it any slower for darkbasic pro when you need to read a Unity Script each loop?

Oh and by the way... Sorry for asking so much questions

-The Nerd

Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2006 10:55
Quote: "But is it any slower for darkbasic pro when you need to read a Unity Script each loop?"

It seems faster than dbp in loops

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/csimon/spain03/days2_3.htm << where i went for my holiday or www.portaventura.es
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2006 11:04 Edited at: 8th Jan 2006 11:15
Quote: "It seems faster than dbp in loops "

I didn't really get that

I ment if it slowed down the game if you each loop should read from a lua script to get the latest variables... I mean reading a file each loop could make it slower... Depending on the way David T have made the system of course

-The Nerd

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2006 12:00
I could pack into Unity etc right? Because if I can that... I got tons of that, that I could pack down in Unity script.

But is it any slower for darkbasic pro when you need to read a Unity Script each loop?

Oh and by the way... Sorry for asking so much questions

Hi

Firstly, thanks

Secondly, whether that specific bit of code could be cut down. I don't really know exactly what it does, but I'd be guessing that specific example, probably not. All you're doing it checking against numbers and altering something just a little bit each time.

However, on the other hand, say you have a level file that reads something like this:

Your DBPro app may read that in and craete an array with two items, storing the enemy type.

Then it comes to the main loop. You map want each enemy to behave differently, which means your AI subrouting somewhere will look like this

That looks okay. Nows lets suppose you've added another type of enemy. And another. More IFs. Now lets suppose you want to add sentry turrets to your game - they act like enemies, share some of their characteristics, but don't move. So you end up with lots of complex IFs around the place. Wouldn't it be easier to just do:

and then have a script file like so:

then - if you want to add a new type of enemy you need only change the level file and the script file, never once even touching the DBPro file.

The ease is brilliant, and your code becomes much tighter and modular as a result.

Quote: "I ment if it slowed down the game if you each loop should read from a lua script to get the latest variables... I mean reading a file each loop could make it slower... Depending on the way David T have made the system of course"

Once you load a script it's held in memory, so calling a function in a script each loop gives hardly any FPS hit.

I've got somehting here with 5,000 function calls a loop with minimal hit.

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2006 12:18 Edited at: 8th Jan 2006 12:28
I see! Thanks for the help yet again!

This code:

Positions the enemies if they flew out of the screen.. So lets say the enemy fly out on the right side of the screen, then it would appear on the left side of the screen etc.. That's what it does..

Now wouldn't it be possible to somehow get that piece of code into a Unity Script? Since it only checks for values.. Then read that script wihtin dbpro.

Good example you just gave me by the way!

-The Nerd

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2006 12:26
It woudl be possible to convert. You could perhaps get rid of all the object position x's by writing a function like

then have dbcode like this

Not sure how much you'd be saving there though. Looks tidier though ,esp if you encapsulate the DBPro code in a dbpro function.

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2006 12:47
Thanks for all the help!

I don't got any more questions (FOR NOW!!! )

-The Nerd

Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2006 13:01 Edited at: 8th Jan 2006 13:01
Cool david t say i needed to code it to make some cars chase me would chase.lua be ok? its for an out run mode like on nfsu 2

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/csimon/spain03/days2_3.htm << where i went for my holiday or www.portaventura.es
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2006 20:46 Edited at: 8th Jan 2006 20:47
I've just contacted Richard to make sure that it was okay that I could pick Unity has my "reward". And it was!

I'm planning to make a totally new game engine that will be able to make games as my SpaceBattle Shootout game (I've linked to that project in this thread if you remember). That would be effective and cool! And Unity would be perfect to it!

-The Nerd

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2006 21:19
Nice! Looking forward to seeing the fruits of your labours.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-26 10:33:51
Your offset time is: 2024-06-26 10:33:51