Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Metal Runner- Fast Paced Reflex Game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2006 05:40
Hmm, how about ice ramp? You can use it to create a diagonal ramp in front of you to boost you upwards when you go on it. That way it can save you from falling

Applyby has Flies in his Eyes.
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2006 00:06
Thank you for responding! I will try to make as many of these power-ups and downs as I can.

ExI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2006 22:29
Make a city one with some buildings in the backround or something or even a swampy looking level.
treborguy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2006 15:10
how about a 'warp' power up, transports you to where you were a couple of seconds ago with the same speed, to save you from falling right at the last minute , it would be quite easy to store these variables, and quite a cool feature. you could also use your "motion blur" to warp backwards.

Brains are for idiots.
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2006 16:08 Edited at: 8th Aug 2006 16:35
@treborguy: That's good and easy!

@ExI: I'm taking a break from environments for a sec, but I'll get back to them!

@Virtual Nomad: Your lightning thing is a cool idea, maybe the final world will have lightning pads. I've got an idea! For the dizzy stuff, camera rotationon the Z axis would pobably confuse the player, or maybe a little field of view change However none of this will take effect until later levels, foe I do not want to go back and edit the ones I have

Thanks All. This game is slowly coming along, 19 levels so far.

UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
I re-played it, and I just couldn't pass the first level. The Weird speed effect looks cool, but it makes it impossible to see. That one thing takes away almost all if its fun :'-(.

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2006 18:35
I beat the entire thing 3 times without dying once, if anything its not hard enough. There's also a collision bug I noticed where when you reach a certain speed and run into a wall for a long amount of time, you go through it. What collision system are you using? It might be wort looking into Sparky's.

Projects: Online CTF Game | Newcommer's Guide to FPS's
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2006 18:36 Edited at: 9th Aug 2006 18:46
@UFO: Hmmm, I see. I'll see what I can do, maybe if I were to weaken the effect it would be easier. If it's still a bit odd then I will just remove it. Thanks.

@RUCCUS: Wow, you're good! Some people say it's too hard, others like you say it's easy, so I'll probably just keep it as is. The Demo Levels were not too hard. The ones in the game are different and get harder. And yes, the wall collision is messed up... but I'm afraid it's going to have to stay for the game is mostly based on it. I'll somehow make that glitch a part of the game I guess.

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2006 03:03
I understand you need to have sliding collision in the game for it to work properly, its just using something like Sparky's dll allows you to implement perfect sliding collision, faster than most (even NGC in some cases) collision systems out there, in a matter of minutes. Heck, it even has sliding collision commands. Anyways I like the game's feel, might want to work on that window-type texture a bit though, looks like it was thrown together in paint (in comparison to the rest of the excellent textures).

Projects: Online CTF Game | Newcommer's Guide to FPS's
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2006 04:01
Yeah, I know but many parts of the game are based on a variable used in the current collision system. Thanks for the window texture thing. I may change it. And I am happy that you called the others excellent (I made them )

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2006 13:48 Edited at: 20th Aug 2006 13:52
This was awesome. You could really do some interesting stuff to build off this fundamental framework you've got. Try experimenting with the level content. Play around with wall running and bounce platforms like metnioned above, or even pads that will slow the player down when run over. They could benefit the player by giving them more control or they could be an obstacle, lowering the speed to much that they can't make the next jump and have to try again from a checkpoint: this time avoiding thee slow-down pad. Then in scoring you could have a bonus for no slow-down pads hit.

You may want to look into a system for collision where the first couple of time they hit a wall there's a rebound where they bounce back and get time to get over it again, but if they hit it a few times then metal guy blows up or something and they have to go back to the checkpoint. It's one way to get around your collision issue.

I'm going to eat you!
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2006 17:01
Thanks for the response!
At the moment I have been taking a small break from the game. However, some of the levels have walls that you have to hit. So, the collision thing I may not adjust. I'll just say that if you run into the wall for a long time you will fall through.

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2006 04:39 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2006 04:40
Alright I'm working on Metal Runner again, I got bored with other stuff. I'm open to comments once more I'm trying to implement Lee's Perfect60FPS thing into the gameplay of metal runner (maybe not the new power up intros, too lazy)

butyouman
Years of Service
User Offline
demo dont work uplode on file front
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 03:21
Odd... it should work. Well, I've added an alternative download in the download tab in my first post if you can't use the link.

Walnoot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 04:27 Edited at: 24th Aug 2006 04:28
In the 2nd level i thought i could run on walls...

Quote: "Wall running."

Yes indeed...
Looks good btw

Exion Design
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 04:32
Thanks.

Yeah wall running is complex though, I'll try to get it though. Will take lots of tweaking...

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2006 16:25
Okay, I'm stumped Does anybody have any ideas on how I could do Wall running? Each platform in the level is a separate object, they aren't all part of one object. The pull of gravity is downward on the Y axis. Any ideas?

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2006 16:54
You could do wall runing with boxes or planes with setting them on near the wall.. but it isnt so good on action based game (tehy are like ladders) but you could do it putting invisible plane front of the wall and when you have some keys pressed and you are hitting the plane and you have somekind of speed then it goes wall running the wall.. And then starts timer first it goes up (Y axis goes up too) and some time later it starts going down(y axis too) but if you dont have any speeds the wallrunning fails.. its kinda complex to explain.. but anyways..

You singature was removed by mod because it was too cool..
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2006 18:35 Edited at: 25th Aug 2006 18:36
Hmm... That gives ma an idea... I'll go try it out thanks! Oh, but before I do why can't I collide with rotated boxes The collision doesn't move with the box...

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2006 18:43
dunno.. never rotated any boxes :/.. But you could try fix object pivot

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2006 19:30
I tried that but no luck. Weird, isn't it?

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2006 19:43
yes it is.. You could add me on msn.. so we can solve that together.. I have some expriense about these types of things lol..

so -> jarivetoniemi@luukku.com

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2006 19:55
I don't have an MSN account...

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2006 20:20
Well make one

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 10:45
For powerups why not have something that makes you jump really high (That kindof sounds like gravity though), perhaps something that can remove the walls infront of you? Or something that can make you invincible? They are just ideas, your the programmer of the game.

eek
Years of Service
User Offline
Really nice looking Sixty Squares. Maybe add a time limit? It would make the player feel rushed and pump the adrenaline. I don't know, maybe try it if you want. Great game!
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 11:24 Edited at: 27th Aug 2006 12:08
I could make you some wall running example?

[edit]
okey heres little demostration you could make the collision and moving and that its ´not going so fast.. lol (im lazy) well anyways you could edit the code to your perfect its simple (i think )

you only need to add the moving animation collision and change speed and thats it.. lol(it's easy.And i have another game in progress named gladiator you battle in net and it will use wall running.. It's not yet w.i.p though and i litlle busy with Dark Ocean)

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 16:36
@eek: Thanks, and maybe a Time Limit would be nice I'd just have to figure out a way to make it. I used to make time limits based on how long it took me to beat the level and then I'd add half or a quarter of that time to it. Does anybody have any good equations for Time Limits, or is this way fine?

@Cloudef: Yeah sorry I didn't respond I was swimming and then I went to bed . Anyway I am nto going to get an MSN. There are already the forums and E-Mail, so I don't see much need for an MSN. But thanks for the example! I have a better idea of what to do now. I hope it works

eek
Years of Service
User Offline
Maybe get a group of people to play it and time their speeds and then calculate the average of the group. It would need to be a good sized group to get a good reading. I'm not sure, maybe there's a better way.
demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2006 23:00
ooh candyland sounds good or at lesat some sort of food. like pizza. i like pizza especially calzone... mmmmmmmmm pizza

and you don't need falling snow you could just have it looking freshly fallen and stuff with loads of white.

RIP Dimebag
http://db1games.topcities.com
(used to be demonsbreath)
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2006 00:15
Lol candyland. Anyway, I already made the ice word (see first page for a screenshot). About candyland... Not that. Maybe a city (I don't eat much candy, and making candyland textures would make me feel sick)

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2006 00:37
lol, no candy land then.

The city sounds like a good idea though. Would it be like at dark, or day? (The two can make a pretty differant theme i think)

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2006 00:57 Edited at: 31st Aug 2006 01:00
LOL I decide. I can choose the setting and time of day for each level. They're separate. The demo levels feature Day, Sunset, and Night.

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2006 14:05
Um... Just a question... Is the "Hogman" object final for your game? If not, what kind of object will you be using? If it's a machine kind of thing, may I help?

Portfolio: http://mike-inel.cgsociety.org/gallery/
Currently doing: http://www.cgchat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24575
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2006 15:42 Edited at: 1st Sep 2006 15:50
I had never really thought about changing the model... But I think that it may have to stay the same because the whole animation thing was a pain and lots of things are based off of the hogman... thanks for the offer though, I think I've seen your work someplace on the forum, and it was great! If I need your help on something may I ask?

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2006 20:35
Alright, GOOD NEWS!

After a lot of work, I finally have a sketchy outline on how to handle wall running! The wall running is not so amazing, and I may add to it later. But at least it works! It will be an ability that you unlock after a certain amount of levels, because the levels that I currently have made are not designed for wall running.

Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2006 13:30
Ok... Sure, just e-mail me... I found your game simple yet very interesting btw!

Portfolio: http://mike-inel.cgsociety.org/gallery/
Currently doing: http://www.cgchat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24575
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2006 16:36
COOL!!! wallrunning

There are three types of people, those that can count and those that can't.
Juice
User Banned
Posted: 7th Sep 2006 21:24
@diggsey: what is an mmo? sorry for the noob question
@sixty squares: looks a good game. pity i can't download it, my trial for winrar ran out and i'm only 11...

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2006 20:43 Edited at: 26th Nov 2006 20:50
*SUPER Bump*

I'm not sure if I should start a new thread or not, but for the moment I am reviving this thread. I had stopped working on Metal Runner for a quite a while due to other things and due to the fact that I got kind of bored with it, but now I have resumed work on it again! I am preparing a demo of my progress thus far (not too different from the other demo) and it will have a few more levels than the other demo did. The new demo also includes the new PAUSE menu (press p) which allows you ro not only pause but to look around the level and to see where it goes. Also, the pause menu has a RESTART option in case you get stuck at an impossible angle on a checkpoint. Lastly, I will try to post it in ZIP format for those who don't have WinRAR. (Only thing is it doesn't let me post ZIP files as attachments. I'll find a way around that.)

Thanks for your support along the way. I hope to eventually finish this game!

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2006 23:58
This is really cool. It's playable, and has a nice "feel". I like the graphics and music.
If i'd change anything, i'd reduce the vaseline effect a bit- especially on level one, i couldn't really see where i was supposed to go. I'm thinking that maybe my comp may be running at a slower framerate or different colour depth than what you designed it to run at.
If i ever get round to making a wipeout clone, i'll probably be bugging you to find out how to do some stuff.

You'll be able to click on this someday.
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 00:15
Thank you for the quick response!

About the color depth thing, I'm not sure about it-- I know almost nothing about color depth (which will probably become a problem later on.). I can see where I am going just fine but I must admit it can get a bit tricky towards the top of the screen. The newer demo has the camera a bit further away from the runner so that should help you be able to see more.

P.S. I don't mind being bugged about how to do stuff at all unless it's really annoying like: "How do I make an RPG? Can you make one for me to look at?". Then I'm going to be annoyed but anything else is fine

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 00:53
This newer demo is the one you'll be posting in the future? I played the dowload on the first post.
I just tested it, and it seems the game is running at the same display resolution (and depth) as my desktop. Presumably the same frequency too.
I set my display properties to 32 bit and the game looked better, although level one is still hard to see.
To set the display mode, use fullscreen exclusive, or you can set it in code, for examples

set display mode 800,600,32

Also, try

hide mouse

PS. I don't need to know how to do an RPG. I want to make a GTA type game. Can you show me how to do that? Codes pls.

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 01:12
Thanks for the sugguestions. And sorry, I can't show you how to make a GTA game. I have never made one before. Please make another thread someplace else if you want to ask how to make a GTA game-- this thread is reserved for the discussion of Metal Runner.

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 01:18
I was making a joke.

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 02:19 Edited at: 27th Nov 2006 02:19
Oh Sorry I'm a bit slow today.

Any more comments?

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2006 00:44
I have a question: How many levels would you like the new demo to have? I'm going to have to make a limit of 8

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2006 02:37
100th post baby

The more levels the better, but make them faster paced each time.. and maybe a shorter time limit or something.

Have you got around to power ups?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 08:22:07
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 08:22:07