Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Metal Runner- Fast Paced Reflex Game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2006 03:21 Edited at: 29th Nov 2006 03:22
Yeah I've got about 5 power-ups/downs, but I'm probably only going to use 2 in the demo.

There is no time limit (that would probably make the game too frusterating even for me lol)

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2006 03:34
well..think about it this way...

With all these levels you are doing about the same thing... you have to make it more challenging each time so teh player stays witht he game... if its all as hard as each other one than they might get bored.

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2006 12:36
I see your point. Well, try the demo when it's done and see if you get bored.

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2006 23:28
SECOND DEMO COMPLETE. DOWNLOAD IN FIRST POST

*Ahem* Okay if anyone still cares the second demo is done! Lol, you can download it in my first post and it's in WinRAR and WinZIP formats (The WinRAR one is smaller).

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2006 01:17
I stand corrected. From my crappy gamers point of view, it needs to be easier!

I couldn't get past level 2!

But this is a really good game. I liked the music, the jumping, everything.

And yaeh, it was fun, but since I suck so much, level 2 was so hard that I quit at the 8th try.

-Mansoor Siddiquie

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2006 01:39 Edited at: 17th Dec 2006 02:52
Hmm.... Yeah the people who found the first demo easy said it needed to be harder so I made it herder... I'll make a level skip in the demo soon. Tomorrow hopefully.

EDIT: Okay I added level skip now. Press S and click RESTART at the same time to skip ahead to the next level. I'm uploading the file to box.net and then to my first post now... please hold.

EDIT 2: DONE. See first post for the file again. I uploaded the whole file again, so... yea.

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2006 06:27
Nice. It's significantly improved, and it was good already. In the new demo, it could not load the music at line 1066 (if i remember right) after completing the gravity swapping level.

You'll be able to click on this someday.
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2006 13:15 Edited at: 17th Dec 2006 13:16
Thank you!

Hmmm.... Yeah I know the issue. Check in the music folder. If you see some "beatmap" file then delete it. The only thing that should eb in there are Mp3 files. I thought that I took it out, but I guess I forgot.

P.S. There should be a new demo up there (Demo 2.1) with the level skip option.

Crazy Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2006 14:27
@Xenocythe - I think that if you hold the right key from the very begin you won't die automatically like I think thats happening to you.

Pretty fun but it was a little short. Level 6 was really tense though! I thought i was going to die once or twice but i got through.

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 23:58
Some think it's easy, some think not lol. Anyway, I'm glad that you enjoyed it It was kinda short, I must admit.

Brain111
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2007 03:00
I love this game! Excellent work, man, it's so simple, yet intense. I love the blur effect that you've got going on, it adds a really nice effect to the game.

My favorite part of the game, though, is the different "themes" for the levels. I'm glued to the game, trying to beat each level cause i want to find out what the next level will look like. And I really like the idea of the CandyLand level, I think you should do it, maybe as a bonus level or something?

Oh, and if you still need ideas for more powerups, maybe you could have a "slo-mo box" that would be like a translucent box around a certain portion of the level, and when you go through it, it decreases your speed a bunch, and maybe ups the blurring a bit. Then once you get out of the box, it goes back to normal. Just a suggestion.

Awesome game.
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2007 03:12
Thank you! I'm glad you liked the game so much

At the moment I'm trying to work out some saving/loading issues. Also, one of the levels in the actual game is nearly impossibe (another one IS impossible) so I'll have to replace those. Anyway, MAYBE I'll add the candyland world, but first I'll need to find some candyland textures. As for the slow-mo box, that may be kinda hard to do just because of the way I organized the code. It's very messy .

Thanks for this response, you've encouraged me to complete my work on this game!

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2007 03:05
Alright I have some new progress to show! I've completed the main menu. Here's a screenshot. The backdrop is 3D, not a picture, and the level that it shows is the last one that you played on (it shows a random one at the start)

Crazy Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2007 14:45
Cool any idea when this might be finished?

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2007 14:51 Edited at: 21st Feb 2007 14:51
Hmmmm.... I'm not sure... It has about 32 levels so far but I plan on sticking a few more environments in before I release it.

Current Environments:
Desert street thing
Forest
Ice
City

Brain111
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2007 04:46
Candyland! Lol!
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2007 22:44 Edited at: 22nd Feb 2007 22:45
Lol it seems a lot of people want that so maybe Only issue is I can't find any textures for it, and I don't have enough candy to make my own

headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
This looks very good so far. Very fun, too. A few sugestions:

1) Sometimes you when you start a level or come back after a checkpoint there almost isn't really enough time to react and avoid falling. I don't remember if anyone mentioned that yet.

2) Maybe adjust the order of the levels a bit. Out of the 6 levels in the demo I found level 2 was the hardest.

Some ideas for environments:

1) Underwater
2) Wormhole in space
3) Circuit board
4) Lava
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2007 13:00
Thanks for the response!

Quote: " Maybe adjust the order of the levels a bit. Out of the 6 levels in the demo I found level 2 was the hardest."

Yeah the levels don't really get harder overtime-- I haven't completely mastered that yet.

Quote: "Sometimes you when you start a level or come back after a checkpoint there almost isn't really enough time to react and avoid falling. I don't remember if anyone mentioned that yet."

I know about that--- and it's hard to fix so I added a RESTART option in the pause menu. I ought to try some of those environments! I like LAVA, and underwater sounds cool as well. We'll see. First I need to finish making levels for the city environment.

Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2007 19:46 Edited at: 7th Mar 2007 19:47
Great job on this game, it's really fun! Just make a 2 player battle mode and the candyland level and it'll be perfect.

This game reminds me a lot of Super Monkey Ball, you navigate through a floating 3D level to a goal. Is the hog guy supposed to be able to jump clear over the goal? In the tiled level I jumped into the glowing yellow goal area but still died.

How about adding moving/rotating platforms? That'll be awesome! A level filled with giant rotating pizza platforms would be great...

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons...for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2007 02:15
I'm glad you liked it

Jumping through the yellow goal area: You have to land on the platform its coming from to win.

As for adding stuff, this game is pretty much done, I think. All I plan to add is a METAL world (and maybe a Candyland if somebody has the textures) and then I'll be done with the game. Maybe I'll make level packs that can be downloaded, but I'm not sure yet

Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2007 21:54 Edited at: 12th Mar 2007 23:40
Here's a chocolate bar texture for the candyland level. Yes, I know it's tiny and hard to see but it looks nice on square shaped polygons if you use scale object texture (Uscale to Vscale ratio should be 1:2, 2:4, 4:8, etc. for best aspect ratio) to make it look like one of those "tiled" chocolate bars.

(Please no one flame me if this is horrible, I have 0 experience with texturing.)

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons...for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2007 22:15 Edited at: 8th Mar 2007 22:18
And some multi-flavored lollipops. (Also looks best with 1:2 texture scale)

Attachments

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2007 03:16
Cool Maybe the lollipops could go in the background. do you have any textures of maybe piles of candy? That'd be best for the game, I think. I know MatEDIT had some nice candyland textures... Maybe TDK will let me steal them (I won't...)

Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2007 03:20 Edited at: 9th Mar 2007 03:24
Ok, but I just finished a candy cane forest, so here it is. I thought maybe the platforms could be chocolate bars, and the walls could be a candy cane forest of this texture repeating, but I can do piles of candy too.

Attachments

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2007 23:32
That was a quick post! Anyway the candy cane forest looks cool, maybe I should use that instead of the lollipops... I can't decide! Anyway the candy canes go down to the bottom of the texture which is good so everything is even... Anyway thanks

Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2007 00:34 Edited at: 10th Mar 2007 00:45
Here's some skittles. I got DBP to generate this texture from 5 flavors of skittles I made. The program did a perfect job making it a seamless texture too. If you want different kinds of candy in the pile I can make more textures, the program can make piles out of any amount and kind of image.

Quote: "That was a quick post!"

I didn't even see your post until I posted mine and the page refreshed. It would be nice if the page auto-refreshed when someone posts, but that would be bad if someone was typing a post and they had to do it over again.

Attachments

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2007 18:40
Wow that's nice! If it had some wrapped candy in there it'd be nice too

Thanks for making all these textures.

Brain111
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2007 21:09
Haha yes, Candyland! It would be awesome if you had like crazy heavy metal playing in the background of the METAL themed level. It would just seem to fit.
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2007 21:58 Edited at: 11th Mar 2007 21:58
Quote: " It would be awesome if you had like crazy heavy metal playing in the background of the METAL themed level. It would just seem to fit. "

lol I was thinking more factory-like music.

I've added a few things---

-Level Select at Main Menu
-Replay (yay!)
-Save/Load Games

Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2007 23:17 Edited at: 12th Mar 2007 23:40
You're welcome, I'm sure everyone will enjoy the candyland level.

Here's the new texture with wrapped candies. It has mints and tootsie rolls. I gave the program the ability to randomize the candy angle, and it turned out quite nice.

Attachments

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2007 02:56
Nice one Just thinking... Do you think it needs some pink candy in there? I'll ask you, the artist. Do you think it would look better if the candyland levels revolved around pink? Just a thought, really.

Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2007 20:12
Well, there's not a lot of pink candies I know of, except cotton candy. But it would be hard to make a cotton candy texture. What I think would be interesting would be to make a cotton candy gun using white and pink particle emitters, spewing cotton candy all over the level.

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2007 01:58
Good point. I know what I'll do! I'll make the sky pink. The pink and white emitter would be a distraction, I think.

UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2007 04:56 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2007 04:57
I played the second demo and it was great! It is much better than the first demo. I really liked it and I can't wait until you make more levels and release another demo!

And you're making a candy land level Yay!

I have some suggestions:

*The level 'XD' is a little too short, IMO.
*I liked the idea in the first level "Cutting Corners", but the other levels have too much corner cutting. That level should be the one with the corner cutting, but I think that the other levels should have less of it, and focus more on another theme.
*The powerup tiles don't look very good, IMO. They just seem like a bunch of scribbles.
*I don't like the stairs in the second level. They ruin the flow of the level if you don't jump them perfectly, because if you run into a stair, you stop.
*When you run into a wall, it seems a little weird that the player just keeps running at full speed into it. Wouldn't it hurt?
*In the first level, when the camera zooms in on the new powerup, the save tile, it goes through some of the walls, which is a little weird.
*I think the running animation should be sped up, so it will look like it is running, not skating (Its Metal Runner, not Metal Skater )
*I think that the player is a little too small. Maybe you can put the camera closer to it.
*A bouncy tile would be neat, and it would give you an extra high jump.
*A maze level would also be cool, with save blocks only on the right path.

I think that was the longest list of suggestions I wrote ever

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2007 18:45
@UFO

Thanks for the sugguestions. Now time to respond:

Quote: "*The level 'XD' is a little too short, IMO."

Well, the demo levels never appear in the actual game, so there's probably no point in changing them.

Quote: "*I liked the idea in the first level "Cutting Corners", but the other levels have too much corner cutting. That level should be the one with the corner cutting, but I think that the other levels should have less of it, and focus more on another theme."

See above

Quote: "*The powerup tiles don't look very good, IMO. They just seem like a bunch of scribbles."

I tried. But I'm not going to change them now. I would have to redo it.

Quote: "*I don't like the stairs in the second level. They ruin the flow of the level if you don't jump them perfectly, because if you run into a stair, you stop."

Okay. I'll know not to put many stairs in the actual game.

Quote: "*When you run into a wall, it seems a little weird that the player just keeps running at full speed into it. Wouldn't it hurt? "

Hmm. I did that on purpose. I figured that if he's made of metal he wouldn't mind falling on his head and running into walls. I'll have to add an intro to make that more clear.

Quote: "*In the first level, when the camera zooms in on the new powerup, the save tile, it goes through some of the walls, which is a little weird."

Okay I know it's odd, but I don't think it can be helped at this point, unless I raise the camera. But then the cloud texture looks tiled.

Quote: "*I think the running animation should be sped up, so it will look like it is running, not skating (Its Metal Runner, not Metal Skater )"

Back to this problem again. I'll try and see if I can fix it. At least its better than before...

Quote: "*I think that the player is a little too small. Maybe you can put the camera closer to it."

Really? I thought it was better when it was further away--- you could see more.

Quote: "*A bouncy tile would be neat, and it would give you an extra high jump."

Already done

Quote: "*A maze level would also be cool, with save blocks only on the right path."

That's done too.

Remember, the demo versions feature levels that never appear in the game. I'm glad you liked it and I will take your sugguestions into consideration

UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool, thanks! I'm glad I could help.

Quote: "Quote: "*The powerup tiles don't look very good, IMO. They just seem like a bunch of scribbles."
I tried. But I'm not going to change them now. I would have to redo it."

I just think that they are a little too complicated. Maybe you could make the checkpoint tile just a green block with a simple texture, without the text that says save point. Same thing with the gravity changer (which is a good idea, BTW).

Quote: "Quote: "*I think that the player is a little too small. Maybe you can put the camera closer to it."
Really? I thought it was better when it was further away--- you could see more."

That makes sense.

Quote: "the demo versions feature levels that never appear in the game."

I liked the demo levels (except for 'XD' ). I think that they should be in the finished game, because they are fun. I just think that they should be changed a little, but they don't have to be.

sith lord
Years of Service
User Offline
when will the final game be out and i cannot belive this i how short xd is i manetged to clear the level in two jumps lol
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 01:16 Edited at: 21st Apr 2007 04:42
lol I hope you enjoyed the game aside from XD

Okay I must admit work on this game has been veeery sloow due to other complications and procrastination combined... But I'll go work on it now I guess and all future screenshots will be posted in new posts instead of back at the first one.

Here's a new screenshot of he city world:

Attachments

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 07:00
Quote: "Okay I must admit work on this game has been veeery sloow due to other complications and procrastination combined... "

I know the feeling.
Anyway, this keeps looking better and better. I just downloaded the new(ish) demo with the level skip, and i'll give it a play tomorrow.

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 18:13
Thanks Mr. Tank Let me know how the demo is.

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2007 05:38
It's great! I finished it, although the last level was more down to luck than judgement. Overall it's really fun and has a cool "feel". All the levels look great with their distinct themes and colour schemes, and the music is super.
The pre-level flyover is really slick, as are the scenes that introduce the player to new tiles. I might nick that for my game.
In the last level i noticed some "z-fighting", where the large ground plane was presumably in the same place as the ground tiles. Maybe that could be fixed by setting them at slightly different heights, but it's no big deal.

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2007 06:20
Cool I'm glad you liked it . Yeah, the "z-fighting" is an issue I know about, but I've never had it happen to the gorund tiles before... I'll make sure to make the ground tiles thicker, thanks for the notice.

Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2007 15:49
Um, is this project dead?

You never really know a person until you look at their google autocomplete entries.
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2007 23:38
For the moment it is dead... However this WILL be finished and I do plan on using the textures that you so kindly made for this game . I'm not really the quick finisher when it comes to games...

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2007 18:39 Edited at: 1st Jul 2007 18:39
Okay actually this isn't dead yet. I've imported Code Dragon's candyland textures as well as some of my own. Expect a screenshot of the Candyland level soon . I've also made it so that power ups have a glowing aura around them.

Attachments

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2007 23:54 Edited at: 1st Jul 2007 23:55
And here's the candyland level thus far, partly thanks to Code Dragon for the candy filled floor texture and the candy canes in the background.

Attachments

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2007 04:30
No comments on the new update?

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 3rd Jul 2007 04:49
@Sixty Squares
Cool. I think that the candy land level should have candy in piles rather than being flat.

Cheers,

-naota

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2007 05:12
Awesome, new levels look great .

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 19:24:03
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 19:24:03