Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / [LOCKED] Game Developer - thread 2

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 31st Aug 2006 06:15 Edited at: 31st Aug 2006 08:06
No problem!

I'll email you later, now all i need is one more.

(And my thread is now a hot one, yay!)

[edit]
just noticed, but what is your email?
if you need a free email address go to www.rock.com but in order to beta test i need to send you an agreement, then if you agree, i send you the link to the beta testing page, thats the only need for an email though.

Wolf Dreamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2006 22:45
I'll beta test it for you.

Looks very promising so far.

My email address is thomasprewitt@bellsouth.net

I'm curious how many of the Game Maker commands generate code perfectly. I find using icons for making things so much easier than just entirely code, since its easier to visualize things.

The last sane human being in a world gone mad.
If you were a cockroach, what type of cockroach would you be?
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2006 05:50
Cool! Now i have 3 beta testers (as soon as jrock gives me his email address). I'll send you the email.

@everyone
I also tried implementing the new saving and loading system, i found a bug (well, a misplace in coding), and that should be fixed when necessary.

Jrock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2006 00:19
Ok, my email is jmjdenk@hotmail.com

Jrock is pronouned Jay-Rock
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2006 01:58
Thanks, i have just sent you the agreement, and im about to send wolf dreamer the link, after you reply and get the link, beta testing can begin!

The interface is abit easier to use now then how it was in 0.1-0.4p
(p=patch). Some things are still supposed to be implemented (hence 0.5, and not 1.something). The save and load features need one bug tweak, the only problem is navigating through code (and since i use differant files spread out, it's hard to figure out what line an error occurs at.).

I also wanted to mention, that while i was waiting for beta testers, and i have fixed all the bugs that i could without messing with the programs inner-workings, i decided to work on certain features of the gui (resizing of windows), but ended up rewriting the code, and now that gui is incompatable with my code, i didnt want the code to go to waste, so i started working on a program behind the gui, from there i thought of something, it would be a component of GameDeveloper. Since you can only make 3D games with easyedit (which now has to be renamed), i decided on working on a 2d game editor. It will use the same compiler methods as easyedit's compiler, however, syntax will be far to simple (this was to save time). So, with Game Developer beta testers will get their hands on the 2d game editor called "GamePlay", right now game play's editor is made in dbp, but all i have to do is port the code, and then things will be fine. GamePlay doesnt use DirectX. It's compatable on Windows, Linux, and Mac OS/X, and in some cases, even DOS! But that's not important right now, what is important is getting EasyEdit finished, just thought i would give a heads up, so, heads up. My plan for game play is to be able to export DarkBASIC code, PlayBASIC code, C++ code, and executables. I dont own PlayBASIC though, so, i will get the trial version for testing. Anyways, hope you guys like the idea, i will be working on it only in my absolute free time though, so it wont interfare with EasyEdit's work. Once easy edit get's a little bit more finished, i will do more and more work on it though.

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2006 03:26 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2006 09:55
Okay, i added the ability to export to dbpro code, the only three problems are:
1) You cannot yet export code due to compatability between languages
2) The angle values all seem to be 0,0,0, so i dont know what's going on here.
3) You need to move the media appropriatly.

Also, would you buy GameDeveloper? If not, please give the answer as to why not. Thank you.

btw, Beta testers, the link is READY!

Jrock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2006 17:14
Awww why does it have to be a Rar File? Now I gotta download some program to open it...

Anyway, its looking pretty good.

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2006 21:25
Get WinRAR. It can open RAR AND ZIP files.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2006 21:35
And it compressed better

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2006 21:39
i wont buy,as the angles are 0,0,0.And it doesnt export the "Code".

And offcourse,who isnt to lazy to move all the media himself?

I am the warrior Maximilious.One of the Assasins of Guild Wars...
EddieB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2006 21:56
Your trying to make something cross platform thats written in dbpro haha!! not happening..

And watch out where exporting because I believer dbpro uses different angles to other languages.
Jrock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2006 03:44 Edited at: 4th Sep 2006 03:44
@Maximilious Silver - Nice slap in the face... bit unnecessary eh?

@EddieB - Perhaps some constructive criticism would have been better. (No Offense.)

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2006 04:21 Edited at: 4th Sep 2006 08:03
Quote: "Your trying to make something cross platform thats written in dbpro haha!! not happening.."

DBpro is being used to design it, i cant see how differant the angles would be, and if it uses left and right, instead of right and left (reversed y axis) i'll just slap a negative sign on the code where the angles have been called.

Maybe ill just keep the code in dbpro for Windows users.

Quote: "i wont buy,as the angles are 0,0,0.And it doesnt export the "Code".

And offcourse,who isnt to lazy to move all the media himself?"

The 0,0,0 thing is a bug that im working on, the code isnt exported yet because im looking for a perminent language that would be easy for the user to program in, and as for the media its a mistake in coding, however to fix the mistake i either have to a) Make sure that all the media in the C:GameDeveloperV5MediaObjects directory are copied, or b) Somehow find out the directory the object was in, which would involve either updating the .ob format, or adding in a piece of code. Im working on b.

Quote: "Awww why does it have to be a Rar File?"

Sorry, but i didnt want to go through some registration process with freewebs to upload a .zip. But, it is compressed better, and aparently freewebs doesnt know it contains executables in it. As already said, just get WinRar. Sometimes WinRar is on cds so it wouldnt involve downloading (trial versions of it). WinRar works for ever, just it will say that the evaluation period is over (Or is that WinAce?).

I think that about does it.

[edit]Beta testers, you can email me, but i would prefer it if you posted your bugs, here: http://z6.invisionfree.com/gamedev/index.php?showtopic=48
Incase the link doesnt show, just copy and paste this address.

http://z6.invisionfree.com/gamedev/index.php?showtopic=48

Thank you.

[edit2]I can assure everyone that this will not turn out like Quickly Game Studio, i despise what kangaroo2 did, and i will not steal money from anyone.

[edit3]Also, i wont be here for about a month or 2, you see, my internet service is costing me over $100, when it should be only $10.95, and it is unbeleivably slow, if im paying over $100 i might as well get comcast. I will respond when i can, by going to the library and stuff like that, but for now, sorry i cant. Beta testers know that the software exists, so you know im not trying to avoid anything.

BENOJ, will you look after this thread for me? You can tell them all about "GamePlay", i am sending you the link to the unfinished source now, keep in mind, its basically just a GUI. Thank you.

VR2
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "i am sending you the link to the unfinished source now, keep in mind, its basically just a GUI."

But a GUI with a custom compiler, for gamecube/mac etc?

Quote: "I can assure everyone that this will not turn out like Quickly Game Studio,"

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2006 12:35
Quote: "But a GUI with a custom compiler, for gamecube/mac etc?"

What do you mean? When i come back and have a look at the source code i will be converting it by hand, or through an automatic conversion program, myself.

And, i really do mean what i said, its NOT going to turn out like Quickly Game Studio, if i ask for money it will either be donations, or you would be purchasing the software, the installer wont ask for an internet connection either. This is absolutely NOT a scam.

VR2
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "What do you mean?"

Well, since you ask, you've said that;

Quote: "it is possible to create a game such as Doom3, or even an Xbox, Gamecube, Playstation, Psp, or another kind of game."

Wow...but then have quantified that by saying;

Quote: "out of the box it can not create an Xbox, Gamecube, or any other kind of game other than for the PC"

Ok so it can't make Gamecube games after all, only Windows. But what sortof windows games can it make? You say this;

Quote: "The user has the renderer options of OpenGL, DirectX or the system's hardware. From there, the compiler knows how the file will be made, and linked. You have then created an EXE which uses that such specific renderer."

Right, so I just mean that at some point in time, in the first release of your software, from what you've said, when the user of the system has designed their levels, added their scripting or what-have-you, they can choose "Project Export" and get options such as "Export EXE for Windows OpenGL" and "Export EXE for Windows DirectX" or simply "Export EXE for System Hardware".

In order to generate said EXE, there needs to be a compiler of some-such doesn't there? One that can take your internal code (Basic or whatever) and generate a Windows executable file that can either use OpenGL extensions for rendering, or DirectX for rendering, or, presumably, a custom software renderer, one that will emulate the graphical effects producted by either Open GL or DirectX, and that you have written, and to the graphical standard of something like Doom3 (as stated)?

I don't wish to be rude, and maybe I'm missing something here, but I, for one, am a little on the sceptical side.
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2006 15:41
Quote: "@Maximilious Silver - Nice slap in the face... bit unnecessary eh?"

Thank you,and no.

Quote: "The 0,0,0 thing is a bug that im working on, the code isnt exported yet because im looking for a perminent language that would be easy for the user to program in, and as for the media its a mistake in coding, however to fix the mistake i either have to a) Make sure that all the media in the C:GameDeveloperV5MediaObjects directory are copied, or b) Somehow find out the directory the object was in, which would involve either updating the .ob format, or adding in a piece of code. Im working on b."

OK.

I am the warrior Maximilious.One of the Assasins of Guild Wars...
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2006 10:18
@vr2, be sceptical if you want, actually the news im about to give gives you the complete right to be sceptical. I dont doubt that i will lose everyones interest in this.

@accel leon
what?

@everyone
i had lost 2/3rds of the data i was working on. Therefor i had to start over, however, it has turned out to be better, i will release screenshots later.

@BENOJ
werent you supposed to keep this updated?

VR2
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "be sceptical if you want"

Okidokies

Don't get me wrong, I've nothing at all against you personally, and indeed would love to see you deliver on your promises, I certainly admire your "front" and bullishness on this, and if you do, then by all means charge whatever you like. It makes no odds to me whatsoever.

I'm just sceptical, most especially about all this compiler stuff with the DX/OGL/Software Mode rendering options. I would like to see this program that takes your BASIC source code and compiles it with each option, creating 3 stand alone exe files, each creating a window showing a spinning cube, one rendered using Direct3D, one with OpenGL and one in Software Only mode (your so-called "system hardware" mode?). So how about it? A quick demo perchance, of this, most basic of your compiler's features?

No, you see, I thought not....
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2006 11:16 Edited at: 15th Sep 2006 12:37
I can do such, however, you will have to wait as i am at another computer which has the internet. That doesnt help me much, or my cause.

I'm glad to see that its nothing against me personally, and that you would like to see something like this finished, i will do my best.

(Will be uploading screenshots in a second)

-db

[edit]Sorry, it will take a little more than a few seconds, my bad.

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2006 00:43 Edited at: 16th Sep 2006 00:50
Heres a shot

Not the best, but there will be more.

btw, beta testers, this means that there is a beta version ready to be tested, enjoy (it's at the link given).

-db

[edit]here is some info on what it supports...

layers: from 0-9, you have 10 layers, like in FPSC

segments: snap an object to the grid, automatically because it is a segment, with dbp export you create a .dbo file of all the segments, heh, i like this function alot.

entities: an object that doesnt snap to the grid, they are controlled with code

easily create your own entities and segments!
choose from a list of entities and segments, which are loaded automatically at startup!
no need to remove anything, it copies only the media used in the level after code export!
move objects with the mouse!

enjoy beta testers.

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2006 00:51
WOAH! That looks better then the other screenshots I've seen... MUCH better!

Ummm...
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2006 00:56 Edited at: 16th Sep 2006 02:05
@sixty squares
Woah that was quick!

Thanks, it works alot better too. Actually, i kind of prefer it to FPSC, its a 50*50*10 grid, and, the cell spaces are 100*100*100. So, it is about 100 segments better. PLUS, it will get alot better, i dont have the source code now, however, when i came over here, (right before i mean) i had many ideas that i knew how to implement, but time just ran out. But besides that, i can work more on the compiler

@everyone
please vote on an sdk to be used for c++ code export:
irrlicht
ogre3d
antriyad gx
pure directx+opengl

thanks, or you can vote other sdks as well. This is important.

[edit]
heres another shot.

Jrock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2006 01:57
Pretty nice, should I still beta test the older version?

Ok the mods got rid of my sig...
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2006 02:18
Na, just test this one, you can keep on testing older versions though.

Ah, but i did find a bug, when moving up and down layers with segments, the segment visual will stay on layer one, they will be placed correctly though, so dont worry about that bug.

Loading doesnt work, will be fixed next update. also, it doesnt save layers, will be fixed next update as well.

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2006 04:16 Edited at: 16th Sep 2006 04:17
Wow I didn't notice how quick that was Anyway, alongside whatever SDK you choose, will this still be able to export to DBPro code?

EDIT: Just noticed it looks similar to FPSC good job!

Ummm...
Supremacy
Years of Service
User Offline
this has lots of potential, any publisher would support this, i would, i doubt tgc will miss this chance, but if they do, come nock at my door !

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120....
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2006 03:24 Edited at: 18th Sep 2006 08:34
Quote: "will this still be able to export to DBPro code?"

Of course, it already works.

Quote: "this has lots of potential, any publisher would support this, i would, i doubt tgc will miss this chance, but if they do, come nock at my door !"

Nice to know. Glad i have a publisher in case tgc doesnt support this. Thanks.

[edit] Generally, just to anybody who knows how to model, i was wondering if they could make some for free for this, i cant, so i was just wondering, credit will be given in the readme file, if you donate anything. Thanks. (Doesnt matter what kind of model style).

[edit2]Anybody? Debug reports?

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
BENOJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2006 23:29
ive sent you an email on the gamedev.co.nr site.. i will check it out tmorrow in full but when i chaneged the locartion of the thign it worked fine

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2006 00:25
Are you still looking for beta testers?

If you are, then I'd gladly be one

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2006 01:27
Well, sure why not. 3 was my limit, but 4 is fine.

Anyways, you all know of the FPSC Features board, right? If not go there, now that you have gone there, tell me what you would like to see in GameDeveloper. I dont care if you dont know if it has it or not, i just want to hear what people want to see in it. This is very important. Thanks.

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2006 03:57 Edited at: 19th Sep 2006 03:59
Okay... If it's sugguestions you want, then it's sugguestions you'll get. RANDOM SUGGUESTIONS:

-Large, organized, and useful help file
-The ability to reach this help file from the program (Opens it up in another window of course)

-Easily Adjustible AI

-The ability to create people that say things to you when you talk to them (you specify).

-The ability to choose whether or not you or an enemy uses a weapen meant for hand-hand combat or a gun.

-Tha ability to pick up different weapons.

-The ability to place fire particles.

-The ability to make water.

-Light placing and lightmapping.

-Weather effects (rain, snow, etc.).

-The ability to create Terrain

-The ability to get into a vehicle.

-Easy 3D sound placement

-Loading screens

-Menus

-Event editor

-Waypoint editor

-The ability to make objects slant accordingly to a hill.

-The ability to create missions that require conditions to be met.

-Particle effects

-The ability to make an MMORPG (Lol kidding about that one)

That's all I've got for now Yes I know they're all totally rediculous requests but if all of these were included I would SO buy this (Long as it was royalty free ). You could also include separate editors for each group of concepts if you didn't want to jam it all into one program.

Ummm...
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2006 04:31
Well, thats what you can do through the programmable interface, dont worry though, after i finish this, im gonna make something that will be free that will do all that. I originally started this to work on a game for a girl i like. But, i do strongly beleive that people should be able to make amazing 3d games for free, and thats what im gonna do. So, yeah, dont worry about that stuff.

Oh, but the 3d sound is a good idea, and the ability to create water to. Light placing is a WIP because i need to design how it will work. The event editor is another good idea, something that will easily let you program scripts for the game.

Any more suggestions?

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2006 20:43
Thanks
(I just replied to your email)

A way to more graphically program the ai would be good.
One example would be where you could drag and drop blocks of different types which are connected by lines, so an if block would have two lines coming out which you can join to another block which might be something like face object/entity. And then another could be shoot(5) which shoots five times.

That is just one example, but there are many other ways to do that. I think that it would make many more people who want to learn/have no knowledge of programming buy this software(are you selling it?).

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2006 01:56
Quote: "are you selling it?."

Yes, i have a few prices though out.
$19.95 ($20)
$29.95 ($30)
$49.95 ($50)
But never will it be more than $60. Unless square enix uses it, which i seriously doubt. If they did that would be something to brag about, for a long, long time.

Though because i am selling this, and because i beleive that game making software should be free, after this i will be making some free game making software. And after that, i dont know.

Ill send you the link if i am allowd to check my email (im on someone elses computer, so i dont want to be blamed for giving them virus' and stuff.)

Anyways, the software might change again because im having certain *problems* with DirectX, but that should be fixed later. By change i mean designed in C++. Which brings up the question, it can still export DBP code, however, is it still ok to use this WIP?

It will still be just about as easy to use as it is now though, but with a more "true" GUI. I might give that GUI away as well. (As in, for free).

I do have some bad news though, it appears i might not have the internet for another year or two, but i will try to update you all as much as possible. I wish i had a screenshot to show, sorry i dont though.

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2006 04:00 Edited at: 25th Sep 2006 04:00
Quote: "I do have some bad news though, it appears i might not have the internet for another year or two"

A YEAR OR TWO!?!?! Wow, that's a long time.

It's good to see that this is coming along though. Make a demo version if you plan to sell it.

Ummm...
Jrock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2006 04:04
A year or two? Oh dear, you might want to head to the nearest store and buy yourself 234234234 cans of beer. You won't notice the difference. But anyway, I'm glad you havn't given up or anything. Happy drinking!

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2006 05:02
Quote: "Make a demo version if you plan to sell it."

I did, i made 4. Anyways, BENOJ, if your reading this, please give diggsey the link.

Quote: "you might want to head to the nearest store and buy yourself 234234234 cans of beer"

Thats quite abit of beer, are you sure any one man can drink it all (or woman).

Anyways, yeah, im not about to give up on this, not on my life.

GAMEDEVELOPER HISTORY:
Originally started to work on a game for someone, it started out poorly. In the earlier versions, when you created an object, you had to select it by entering in its object id. Very bad movement of objects with keys was implemented. The executables ran off of a runtime. Certain parts of the physics code wasnt even done by myself. There was about 8 editors for differant types of games (Action, RPG, FPS, Racing, etc), and another 8 for the runtimes. I only did the racing one.

After i realised that that sucked, i started on a new one. This one was the first version seen publicly (EasyEdit v0.1), it obviosly sucked, so then camera 0.2 which was just a few bug fixes, then v0.3 which was more bug fixes, and v0.4 which consisted of features being added. There seemed to be a problem with installation (because it was the first version to use a .ini file), so i created a patch, and an updated ini file. People are still having problems testing that version out, and i am sorry for the difficultys. After a little bit, i decided to stop working on that altogether, and started a fresh-new one. EasyEdit v0.5, it had gotten quite far, it had a GUI, object naming, some nice, GUI functions. It was pretty nice, but not nice enough, after an accident (which actually helped me), i lost 2/3rds of the written data to the editor. This made me pretty mad. But at the same time, i was glad because this gave me reason to work on another one. I took 1 day to examine FPS-Creator, and another day to design. After that, was born DarkGE.

DarkGE takes advantage of FPS-Creators design, and a speedy GUI. It may still be in beta version, but it is the first to allow true control with the mouse, layers, and a 50*50*10 grid. When exporting DBP code, it creates a .dbo file consisting of correctly placed segments, and correct entity placement. However, the problem with object angles will always be there, this will be fixed very, very, very soon because i think i know why the angles are messed up.

THE COMPILER:
Version 0.0a
8 Runtime environments for differant categorys (RPG, Action, Racing, FPS, etc). However only 1 was half-created. The racing. The main code wasnt mine, and the parser was very bad and slow.

Version 0.0b
A quicker parser, no runtime needed, however, the parser only used the left$, and right$ functions, and wasnt exactly "precise". This was created in DBP

Version 0.1
Supports exports for C++, and DBP. It was created in DBP, and executables follow a "runtime" styled environment. It had certain functionality

Version 0.2-0.4.5
Same as 0.1, however more features were added. No billboarding was ever acheived.

Version 0.5
Completely rewritten, supports C++ code export, DBP code export, and executable generation. I nice parser, and rendering capabilities of OpenGL, & DirectX, as well as OS exports for Windows and Linux (WIN32 Platforms only, Linux tests are all performed on Linspire, it all seemed to work).

IN THE FUTURE
Will DarkGE change? Undoubtedly. It will support OpenGL, and DirectX, as well as differant platforms. It might work a little differantly, but thats fine, because im sure its what you all want.

Also the compiler, will no doubtedly change as well. For the better.

LET ME EXPLAIN PS2, XBOX, AND OTHER SYSTEMS
These systems have been decided to require runtimes. In other words, i will buy licenses from them to create the runtime software. You can test the software with emulators such as cxbx, ps2emu, and others. The runtimes might be a little slow, but completely customizable, with full source. The SDKS i will use are: ps2dev for linux, OpenXDK (Or, possibly XBDEV), and i will attempt to buy the psp sdk. This will all cost me quite abit of money, so please respect my doing this. However, fullsource code will be given for these. (If they allow me to).

if TGC does sell this, this will be the only product they have that works on Linux, MacOSX, and can create games for consoles. If they dont, im not worried. Anyways, that little consoles bit should answer a lil' bit of questions.

Speaking of selling:
@Richard
What are you looking for in game creation software? Will you even sell software which can take advantage of all these systems? Anything you want to tell me? Thanks.

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2006 13:58
WOAH this program sounds amazing! Consoles? And when I said demo version I meant a final demo version.

Ummm...
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2006 19:28
I'm still waiting for the chance to test this amazing thing!

Jrock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2006 03:20
Quote: "Thats quite abit of beer, are you sure any one man can drink it all (or woman).
"

Where there is a will, there is a way. (Or in this case a beer)

Different platforms? If you were able to do that I am sure that you will probably win over the entire crowd here at TGC, not to mention many others.

dab
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2006 03:25
Quote: "i will buy licenses from them to create the runtime software"

That sounds expensive.

Your mom has been erased by a mod from you telling too many "your mom" jokes.
VR2
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "That sounds expensive."

Or just far fetched...
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2006 23:33
Hello all I am contacting u all from my PSP so this may be a short msg I am going to have the internet in November Anyways i am going to buy as many licenses as possible

i assure u all this is a real project

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x128
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2006 04:25
Doesnt look like anyone noticed anything or not... Oh well. Anyways, I have news. I'm not on my computer right now so i dont really have any screenshots (sorry), but here is some information about the project, some may like this new information, some might not.

GameDeveloper is splitting into 2 differant projects.

The first project:
Uses a slightly modified level editor. (Similiar to the one in the screenshots)

Uses a runtime environment, DarkBASIC Pro code export, and maybe DarkGDK (C++ SDK) code export. I'm still thinking over making it work with FPS Creator (But i don't know if that's legal or not as well).

Runtime environment will use DarkPhysics, DarkAI, maybe DarkLights, and maybe the Enhancements pack, though, the user won't have much control over these plugins. This is to protect the work of the developers of these products. Because it uses DarkPhysics, the runtime will be free.

I am deciding rather or not the runtime will be required to be downloaded (freely) for the file created to work, or if it will basically work like FPS Creator, if i could get some feedback on this, that would be of great help! Please, that's an IMPORTANT question. (If the runtime environment does work like FPSC's runtime, then the icon will be like a DOS-Icon, and the information (Like version and stuff) will all be something that i think would be best, and it wont say the company or anything. (Version will be the actual runtimes version though)

(The editor is planned to use BlueGUI for the interface)

The second project:
I have not thought of a name for this project yet. This project will be developed entirely in C++. It will also support both DirectX and OpenGL, however, i'm leaning more on pure OpenGL support than DirectX for numerous reasons.

C++ Code export will work only with the SDK that might come with it, if the SDK doesnt come with it, then you will have to purchase that seperatly. The reason for this is that I want to develop this quickly, and efficiently, so this is the best way.

Compiles executable using a C++ Compiler. Though technically the SDK will have to be made in order to do this, it will also be destroyed at the end of compilation.

It uses a BASIC language, but there are also level editors that come with it and stuff. It can export C++ code for other platforms (Such as PS2, PSP, XBOX, etc.), however, you will need to purchase the SDKs themselves for the code to be able to be compiled. A drag i know, but this is because if i included the SDK, i would have to get a license to be able to redistribute the platform SDKs, and so, well, that's probably a lot more expensive than the SDKs themselves. Though you should realise, unless i port the program to work with PS2, PSP, XBOX, etc, using a crappy interface, things will most likely look differant then on the computer.

This project is basically the same as the original goal, however, this will not have anything to do with DarkBASIC pro, and therefor, can not be displayed in these WIPs unless i am allowed to. Anyways, no screenshots now, but, soon.

Oh, with the first project, you will now have to place the player, then specify data such as the mesh, how fast the player can walk/run. If the player can jump, or even if the player can double jump. etc. Differant skys each level, though, you can specify a sky that will be set as the default when a level is created. It's not able to be done right now, but, very soon, you can specify if the player is human, a gun, car-like vehicle, or plain. Suggestions are fine, but i'm not promising anything on that, because that's alot of controls to work out. Right now, human works. You can edit fog settings, environment settings, etc. Use effects, etc. I plan for there to be a model editor included as well, but i can't guarantee that that will be there. Im not sure at what stage of development that that will be worked on, but when the time comes, i will work on that.

Ive been working on the level editor to make the code more portable so i can make more level editors, easier, etc. The runtime is being worked on the most right now. I havent tested out the title function, but i reviewed the code a few times, and everything seems like it should work.

Uh, that should be all. Give suggestions, etc.

Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2006 17:48 Edited at: 30th Oct 2006 17:50
My suggestion is to make a game.
No offense, but (especially with this recent update) this program doesn't exactly sound all that useful (and that's assuming you actually finish it).

common people are walking in line.

Mitsu Fly Ride.
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2006 22:33
Little offense was taken. So no worries.

This last update was simply to solve some problems i have been having, as well as to keep source code more organized and readable.

And i'm assuming your talking about project 1. But if your talking about project 2 (With other consoles), then sorry, but it's just more likely that i get the SDKs if all i'm doing is exporting code, and not making a runtime.

Look, i dont expect everyone to want to get this, however, if t3dgm is still getting sold, and people are still buying, i dont see why people wouldnt like this, or find at least any media i include with it usefull. It uses a level editor as well, meaning that you can create levels with this and load it as a single .dbo object. This still exports DBP code, so you can alter whatever you like. The runtime is for those who dont have DBP. The C++ Code export for DarkGDK will be done if i get that and visual studio.

Ive made numerous small games before, but i have never made the one game that i really want to make.

Maybe you misread something, but the whole reason why i even started on this in the first place was to make a game for someone.

Each of the games i have made was to better my programming ability, and now I can do proper use of camera control, object control, particle control, matrix control, etc. (I'm not good with memblocks though)

Now, the last update dissapointed me abit too. I did it to be as honest as possible about where the project is going.

As for the "actually finish" comment. Thats where i took the most offense. I know people dont generally finish their projects, but any problem i run into, i WILL fix it, and the project will keep on going. It will all be finished, i can guarantee that. I dont have an actuall time worked out, but i am planning on getting some more developers. This will speed up the process abit, and make sure that this gets finished.

If there is any other reason, or anything i didnt cover in that, please let me know. All criticism is welcome, no matter how much offense i take from it.

It's a shame that it doesnt seem all that much usefull to you anymore though, but i plan on improving it once i get all these goals finished.

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2006 00:20
any suggestions to anything, anybody?

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2006 08:01
If this sounds worse than before, think about FPS Creator. FPS Creator uses a runtime environment, does not use DarkPhysics, or DarkAI. It just now finally supported saveing and loading, but (as far as I know) still doesnt support vehicles. (That's of no offense to FPSC, nor TGC, i still use FPSC to make myself a quick FPS Game. Even the 3d gamemaker is still being sold to alot of people. Of course, t3dgm is a little out dated now.... Anyways, my product is meant to be easy to update, and use, but still create quality results.

So many people liked what quickly game studio looked like (Its a shame so many people fell into the trap though), and this should be better. Ive even requested for more programmers, my thread is in the dbp section under "Programming Team Request", and i explained myself thoroughly.

Anyways, with that aside, i NEED suggestions for this, please. I want to make this as good as it can be, and i'm listening (well, reading) to whatever you guys/girls have to say. Thank you for all suggestions/criticism, etc.

GameDeveloper, make your own games with a drag-and-drop interface. Basically t3dgm+fpsc editor combined.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=86045&b=8&p=2

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 02:15:16
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 02:15:16