Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / FPS Creator 1.04 RC3

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2006 00:32 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2006 00:54
Reality Forgotten and Lee,

Yes RF - that about mirrors exactly the frame rates that I'm seeing - a drop of around 7fps on average down from 31 - 32fps to 21 to 26 fps in specific spots I use for consistency of testing between versions. Thanks for confirming this.

I will see if I can help and send Lee a requested level if he wants it

"I am and forever will be your friend"
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2006 07:42 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2006 16:41
I sent him one of my levels and gave him the download link to the same level under the previouse update. I hope he can test them side by side to see the inconsistencies.

RF

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2006 16:32
Cheers

Davy B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2006 19:23
RC3 is ok but its going a bit slow for me, i just gone back to RC2 which is going quicker.

The one and only Davy B
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2006 00:03 Edited at: 4th Dec 2006 00:04
Lee, I was wondering, could you add some more physics properties for objects? Like:

Bounce - Yes/No
Soft - Yes/No
Slip - Yes/No

Damage Distance Multiplier - *Value (This one would multiply the distance that if flys when hit by a bullet by the value input)

The first three are doable by commands in ODE (though I haven't tested how they work) but the forth is the one I want the most, it should be pretty easy to do.

EDIT: I seem to have the idea wrong, sorry:

Bounce - *Amount
Soft - *Amount
Slip - *Amount

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2006 10:55
@DavyB - I am working with RF and UMAN levels to eliminate the speed loss from their levels. I am also interested in your level, so I can include that in my work. Can you email me (via a link) your level that clearly shows a difference between RC2 and RC3, typically by placing your player start marker at the intense part of the game and building a final executable, zipping it up, uploading it to a free file sharing location and sending me the link. I can do the rest

"Small, smart, and running around the legs of dinosaurs to find enough food to survive, bedroom programmers aren't extinct after all "
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2006 10:59
I am not adding features at this time, just key bug fixes which I think everyone would prefer I focus on. I have prepared a new RC4, mainly in response to the emails I have received with reproducable bugs and info to help me fix other issues. You can download it here (attached), and then use it to overwrite the FPSC-Game.exe file currently in your FPS Creator folder. Remember always to make a backup!!

"Small, smart, and running around the legs of dinosaurs to find enough food to survive, bedroom programmers aren't extinct after all "

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2006 16:04
Is this one supposed to solve the characters getting the fog color instead of having their textures? I'm still getting fog colored characters in when trying a test game.

Another thing I've noticed with this version is that it takes ages to switch from test game mode to building mode again. When pressing ESC in a small 1 room test game it took a couple of minutes to go back to FPSC.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2006 16:10
Okay, I think I found a pretty serious bug with RC4. When I exit a test game, it says 'Deleting Test Game Data...' and stays there far longer than normal. I don't know if it eventually goes away, I just kill the process with the task manager.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2006 16:13
Guess we agree on that one

GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2006 16:17
Ha, you posted before I finished mine! And to have the same subject in it - that's weird

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2006 18:31
@BenjaminA - can you build a final game with the fog problem you describe and upload it to a free file sharing site so I can download it. All my own fog tests have worked fine.

foleypro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2006 19:43
Hey Lee...

YOU DA MAN....

As Always B3D....www.fnggames.com

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2006 19:58 Edited at: 4th Dec 2006 20:05
Quote: "I have since added SETTARGETNAME"

I asked a question earlier about this, and I seem to be the only person in this thread who is being ignored.
If I have done something to deserve to be on the "pay no mind" list, then please tell me.

I just want to know the description of that new action, so I won't use it incorrectly.

EDIT
Nevermind, I'll figure it out for myself.
Just keep focusing on the bugs.

Don't forget to visit Conjured Entertainment
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2006 20:02
Quote: "@BenjaminA - can you build a final game with the fog problem you describe and upload it to a free file sharing site so I can download it. All my own fog tests have worked fine."

Lee, here's a fog test build with the latest RC4
http://files.filefront.com/fogtestzip/;6297834;;/fileinfo.html

Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2006 20:20
I still get white enemies with in the fog.

Lee, I tested the debug and sent you some screenshots. I hop ethey help. The latest game.exe seems to help a little bit.

Thnaks for the hard work.

RF

Davy B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2006 20:23
I've emailed lee links to test games i made with the level he asked, if anyone else like to test my level on RC2 and RC3 here are the links.

http://files.filefront.com/Test_104_RC2rar/;6297767;;/fileinfo.html

http://files.filefront.com/Test_104_RC3rar/;6297842;;/fileinfo.html

The one and only Davy B
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2006 22:02 Edited at: 4th Dec 2006 23:15
Lee,
I tested the fog as well and I got the same results as Ben.
The characters still change to the color of fog...In my case it was blue.
I will make a little game and I will post the link shortly.

Here's the link to the test level:

http://www.wembley1967.com/pafiledb/pafiledb.php?action=download&id=46

Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2006 23:19 Edited at: 5th Dec 2006 02:08
Newb here,
I bought FPSC and the 5 packs second hand off eBay. I've looked and read various articles on patches, utilities and packs. And it's making me quite confused. You seem to be very knowing in this thread so I would like to know what patches do I need, updates too. And of any must have utilities. I guess while I'm at it any other official or TGC made packs.
Thank You and please reply ASAP before I forget and spend my money on something then realizing [Mod Edit]I needed to buy such'n'such.

[Mod Edit] Please dont use swear words its not allowed at the forums and you have started a new thread asking this same question. Please dont post the same question in multiple threads and have some patience and someoone may be kind enough to answer. Thank you.
Urlforce Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey Lee, why are lightmaps so different in the 1.04, had a level that looked very dark, some red in it and now theres more light...

He said, "You drink when you're lonely." No I drink when I want!
He said, "You'll never be sober." Sure. Why would I want that?
Gam3r
Years of Service
User Offline
i think it replaces setuplevel for the build and that probably resets the ambient light too if thats what you mean...

The Beta Cell Website 3% http://tbc.redlime.org
Wanna help me make an all new FPSCreator Resource website?
Submit your media for public use here! http://fpsc.redlime.org
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2006 01:27
Lee, I (and Dark Fact) have found a pretty annoying bug with enemies - place an enemy somewhere in a simple map where you can remember, name him 'enemy1', set spawn on start to 'no', and spawn after delay to 'yes'. Now, make a trigger in another identifiable location to spawn him (put 'enemy1' in the ifused and apply the correct script). Now, before activating the enemy, shoot the ground (you may have to crouch in some circumstances) around where the enemy should pop up. You'll see blood, yet nothing is there. Now go to the trigger zone so it comes up and kill the enemy. Shoot there again, it will still have the same problem.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2006 01:59
I noticed that if you save your game and reload it that any dead enemies will no longer be present even if you use the leavecorpse script.
You can download my test level and check it out.
Kill one or more enemies then save.
Quit the game and then start it again.
Load the saved game and the enemies that were lying on the floor (dead) are gone.

I also have a question...
Since the spawn delay is set to 0 by default why would you use the spawn after delay option?
My understanding is that would be used in a level where you would want something to respawn multiple times but I would still think you would have to increase the number in the delay setting.

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2006 02:09
Quote: "Since the spawn delay is set to 0 by default why would you use the spawn after delay option?"

Well, it has something to do with the trigger, I don't know, that's how everone does it, so I haven't bothered to do diffrently.

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2006 19:07
Similar or same problem has always existed I believe so I dont think its a new one.

If I remember correctly it happens using my load and unload entities scripts using a trigger. Characters are removed but they leave behind their shadow - if you shoot at the shadow spot, blood splatters from the spot even though the Characters themselves are physically removed.

Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2006 20:10
I can confirm that UMAN, that definently is what happens

RF

Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
So is that to say RC4 is not fully functional and my game will turn out lame?
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2006 00:17
Reality Forgotten,

Yes I knew you would be able to confirm that and it always has in all versions. Thank you for that.

There are many such "Glitches" in the program you can find especially if you deviate from anything but the defaults and simplicities of it.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2006 00:34
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2006 01:49
Ferret,

FPSC is in a state of forward development. All versions have issues currently. You take your pick of which you wish to use.

V1.04RC2 is currently what I will stick with until we see what the next update brings.

When the current run of development ends then hopefully we will see more all round stable product whatever vesrion that might be at.

Sooner or later we will all have to look to Lee and FPSC X10 anyway as our saviour.

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2006 04:09
I'm in RC2 also. And the spawning bug - if you spawn it with a normal trigger and everything, there is no shadow, but you can still shoot and get a blood splatter. It's not new, but it is one I'd like fixed

Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2006 06:55
I think the blood decal is because the engine loads the enemy there but does not apply the texture. it's more of a game of hide and sneak than a spawn function. so all in all the spawn function needs to be written to call from memory and place the enemy rather than placing minus the texture.

the trigger shoudl call the enemy rather than it's texture.

RF

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2006 10:24
RF the engine should not load the Character entity - they should not be physically available so you should not be able to walk into them for instance nor should the engine be taking any account of their AI calculations - thats what happens with me anyway - When they are removed they have no influence on fps.

In all truth TGC would be the people to instigate a true spawning system for loading and unloading game content designed to optimise FPSC levels.

Personally I still do not use the source to try and update anything inside the engine and wont until the forward development of FPSC settles and the product is more stable and complete as a finished development tool. With X10 coming that could be a long way off now.

Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2006 12:19 Edited at: 7th Dec 2006 12:21
UMAN I think the spawn function just needs to be re-worked a bit. A true spawn should not leave a character footprint. This is what seems to be happening. The engine knows that there is supposed to be an object at point A. Even though appearatstart=no, the engine still places the object there anyway. Here are a few things that I have noticed about the spawn settings.

1) If the entity being spawned is holding a weapon and you set the appearatstart=no, and cantakeweapon=yes you can walk through the entities zone and pick up the weapon with out even spawning the entity in question.

2) If you shoot the space where the would be spawned entity was placed you get the blood decal. if you shoot it enough you will kill this entity and the trigger zone you placed for the spawn will not spawn the entity as it's already been killed.

These are all things that I have noticed using the load/unload entity. There needs to be a true spawn feature added. This is what I recommend.

Add a spawn location randomizer. <---this probably one of the most important features that needs to be implemented. this will remove the problem from having footprints on the map.

You can do this in a few different ways.

1) Create a new trigger zone that has a list of all of the character entities. This should editable via .fpi script to allow the integration of future character packs. Use the same interface that you have for the editing of objects in the editor. but change up the trigger zones to add the following

a. slots for all character entities.
b. a numerical input field for how many of each entity you want
spawned.

I think the goal should be to make it based off of grid cords and offset time. so the following would need to be randomized.

1. QTY of entities spawned at a single time
2. place on map where they are spawned
3. time differences when they are spawned.

You could even add this as an area trigger making one large trigger that covers "example" one long hallway with four rooms to each side. when the player enters the hallway or just before he runs into a trigger and by the time he gets to the hallway all of the enemies are spawned in random places. with the randmoizing feature the creator and player will have to play it a different way each time as the entities will not be placed in the same spot twice.

Just a suggestion

RF

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2006 13:59
At the moment using V1.04RC2 I have no need of any optimisation of Characters anyway as that version holds up at max fps or thereabouts whatever number of entities I have.

Far more important is the Serious Lagg Issue for me at least as it Poly, compile, LOD related and is too big a job for end users to overcome by and large that and not general fps is the current speed issue in that version.

In V1.04RC3 the AI influence is back additionally which is why I cant use that version. Its just has slow, erratic and unsmooth gameplay speeds overall.

The Serious Lagg Issue is unlikely to be fixed anytime soon and we may have to wait some time too for the AI drain to be overcome - who knows so V1.03RC2 is the only option for me at least currently.

Versions - take your pick and choose your penalty. None has it all.

My dev is almost shelved again now until we see where the product goes and whiole I await X10 and see what that promises before further committment. Currently I just make game content and test out various concepts or scenarios in preparation for future development when its picked up again - now sometime next year I guess.

I would not worry currently about Characters or their influence. Wait and see what develops in that FPSC arena would be my suggestion rather than investing much time in half baked solutions.

Personally I would trust in Lee and TGC to have the best interests at heart for FPSC I know they do so will wait for X10 myself.

Other than that I will stick to 1.04RC2 unless anything better comes along in this current update run - it has its SLI prob but I will have to do the best I can to overcome that if I must.

Of course if Lee or anyone else wants to try make improvements to the AI and optimisation systems for any kind of dynamic entity in the mean time I'm all for that.

AI will I am sure will be given further consideration - its been said so - we just have to wait Im afraid.

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2006 15:34
The attached FX file which should be used to replace the effectbank\fastbone\fastbone.fx will fix the fog bug. This file replacement will form part of the RC4 installer to be released shortly.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2006 15:40
awsome, thanks.

I haven't forgotten to test the debug level for you Lee. I am at work on 12 hour shifts, as soon as I come off of them I will retest that level for you.

here is the location where I had taken those pics I sent you.

go down the long hall way (the one with the light at the end of it) take a left and go through the door. the first screenshot was from be blowing those boxes up. and the next one was located around the corner from that.

I hope this helps a little.

RF

bdgbdg
Years of Service
User Offline
Lee, are you handling the updates of FPSC all by yourself?

Project FPS - 71%
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2006 17:46
Lee,
The fog's working fine now.
Thanks.
I look forward to the next update.

Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2006 18:12
Yup, that fixed the fog problem. Now time to get back to the speed issue.

RF

jonathan samson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2006 23:57
hi were is the download for rc4?

j.samson
Gam3r
Years of Service
User Offline
its not officially released

The Beta Cell Website 3% http://tbc.redlime.org
Wanna help me make an all new FPSCreator Resource website?
Submit your media for public use here! http://fpsc.redlime.org
TZap
Years of Service
User Offline
Just been following this thread. Not downloaded any of the fixes so far. Is it worth downloading 1.04rc3 or wait for full confirmation from the developers that its complete and fully working?

FPS Creator is an amazing product good luck with the future developement!
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2006 17:48
wait for rc4, do install the fog update.

bdgbdg
Years of Service
User Offline
I just want some more Speed Insues fixed and faster load times and then I will be HAPPY

Project FPS - 71%
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2006 18:42
go with rc2 and then use lee last download posted on this page, that should help you alot.

RF

bdgbdg
Years of Service
User Offline
Who were you talking to, RF?

Project FPS - 71%
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2006 18:57
TZap
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks all!
bdgbdg
Years of Service
User Offline
I already have RC2. RC3 & 4 has more speed issues.

And the Loading times weren't reduced, I think...

Project FPS - 71%

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 18:55:33
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 18:55:33