Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

NVIDIA Competition 2008 / Xenocythe\'s Entry : The Great Escape

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2006 23:38
This is my entry, and it is called:

The Great Escape

Basically, you're trying to escape from an island. The game in the beginning is based on stealth, because all you have at that time is a wooden sword.

The Plot?

So you wake up dizzy and weak in a dim, wooden room. You have this throbbing pain in your left temple. You can't remember a single thing.

You walk out of the room, reconoiting intently for any sign of life. Unfortunately, you see someone. "He's an oriental person, probably Japenese. Who is this guy?" You're thinking.

He runs at you, shouting something in a foreign language. "Yup, he's japenese. But whats he running at me for?" You don't wait to find out. You turn into the corrider only to run into an even bigger Japenese person. He grabs you, and so does the other one.

*Sigh*. You wake up again somewhere else, not remembering how you got there. Another wooden room. But a bright light was shining right in your face. Through the blinding ray of light you make out a few figures looking at you, standing in the room. One in front of you. He has two people behind him, and a person to your right. All Japenese.

The one in front says something in Japenese. The person to my right translates. What a joy. "The cheif says your execution will take place on monday, five days from now. Until then, you have to follow a set of rules." He braced him self. "You will not leave this room. Food and water will be brought to you. You will not try to escape, and if you do, you will be punshed."

The chief left the room with his two comrades who actualy seemed to be bodyguards. The translator had more to say. "Enjoy the rest of your short life. May you burn in hell for what you did." He seemed angry. Well, I don't know what I did, so I don't really care.

The throbbing came back. It seems like every time I try to recall what happened, and what got me in this horrible situation, my brain can't work with me.

The translator left. With the room empty, your epic tale begins. So many questions, so little time.

5 Days to find out why you are going to be executed. 5 days to find out where you are. 5 Days to regain memory. 5, short days, to escape.

Well, there it is. I uploaded a youtube video recorded with fraps and put together with Windows Movie Maker. Everything you see is mine, or released royalty free from a royalty free resource.

Here is the video:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qXbLWa5VA1k

I also compose all my own music. Alot of people say I have talent. Once my account on MP3.com has been approved, I will post the link here to the music I made for the game. Its 1 song so far, but I'm going to make more.

So watch the video, read the story, and soon hear the music. Don't forget the feedback. Give me anything. As long as it's reasonable

Thanks,
Xeno

Keemo1000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2006 23:47 Edited at: 1st Nov 2006 23:50
Its pretty cool. I just think it would be better to blend the sword and arms (the first person character) with the enviroment or vice versa. One looks too cartoonish and the other is somewhat realistic. And Im not sure about the rest, but I personally think the weapon should be a bit closer to the right/left of the screen, and not right in the middle. He should be seen holding the sword in either his left or right hand.

Love the level though

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=82195&b=8
Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2006 23:59
That's actually a really good story. The video is very nice and the bloom almost looks like Far Cry. Good job .

Zedane
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2006 00:01
Wow Xenocythe,
For a video demonstrating some of the features it looks great and although it looks like many of the stuff (the human hand and sword) are just placeholders the game looks fun to play. I can't wait to see where this game goes; I already like the premise of your game and the five day system to learn the story and get out sounds great. Looks like antidote and I have some more competition (that is if your in the US Section)

Way to go.

around here.. normal's just a setting on a hair dryer
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2006 00:52
Wow, thanks guys

Yup, I'm in the US. The arm and sword are placeholders, they will be remade with good textures and better anatomical structure

I like the quick comments, makes me dream if I can make this game as good as Far Cry

I'll promise to make this game as good as possible. Thanks.

Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2006 01:24
Quote: "I'll promise to make this game as good as possible. Thanks."

You better! I want some good competition and a few good games to play once the compo is over and I'm completely sick of Project VerTex.

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Don't worry Anti. Your friend Gokul has tought me well, so I shall crush you.

Anyways that's real nice Xeno, makes me wish I could actually add Bloom to my games, but my god damn graphics card doesn't support it, and the imitations aren't very efficient IMO.

Oh yeah, and you may want to change the name because some people may think this is based upon the classic film.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2006 01:56
Nah, I like the name. To me, a name means nothing. I should focus on the game instead

Lol, thanks though. I'm happy this comp supports shaders... my old one didn't.

dab
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2006 03:52
wow. Colorfull..... Looks good.

Take heed, never take advantage of the things you need, never let your self be overcome by greed. Walk a strigh line, pick up your speed and try. Everyone deserves a piece of the pie By: Shaggy
eek
Years of Service
User Offline
Early video looks great! One thing you may not though, The Great Escape is already a Steve McQueen movie, if that is of concern to you. Anyways looks cool.

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Escape-Steve-McQueen/dp/0792838408/sr=8-2/qid=1162437632/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/103-1388868-3658210?ie=UTF8&s=dvd
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Eek, he already said that he still wants to keep it with that name as I already mentioned it.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2006 05:07 Edited at: 2nd Nov 2006 05:07
Looking pretty good for this stage of the compo. Storyline looks pretty interesting. Glad to have some competition in that area.

People seem to have missed this, but there is already an extremely popular game called The Great Escape...

Rayman 2: The Great Escape.

Please don't post in the thread my sig leads to.
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2006 05:43
Wow, looks very good so far, and like you have a pretty good start already, the story sounds interesting too .

Pirates of Port Royale
Live the life of a pirate.
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2006 21:16
Thanks everyone, I'll check on thee approval on my music page once I get back from my soccer game. I'll be leaving in about 5 minutes.

Ahhh, yeah, all these movies and games and books... but Rayman has 'The Great Escape' as a subtitle I hope that doesn't conflict with copyright issues.

Thanks, I've worked hard on this to make it look good. And I just seem to have a nack for writing stories

I hope you guys will like the song I worked on. Actually, I'll just check on it now. I'll post again if its ready.

eek
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Eek, he already said that he still wants to keep it with that name as I already mentioned it. "

Sorry missed that.

Can't wait for the music.
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2006 03:28
You might want to consider a career as a writer if you can write your stories as well as you present them (or learn to)... your consepts seem to be of that caliber. Not many on this forum can claim that.

Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2006 03:37 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2006 03:38
Yeah, there's also another game called The Great Escape. I think it's based on that old movie. Though it's up to you if you want to keep it or not.

Btw, story sounds great, didn't watch the video yet though.

Sometimes the only way over a wall is to pile up enough bodies to climb over - Dave W.
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2006 04:23
Ooh, thanks Thats probaly one of the best compliments I've recieved on these forums. But I'm not sure. I'm young, so my career choice will wander around.

Man, struggling to make amusic hoster work for me!

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2006 22:13
God dangit, I'm trying to use AudioStreet.net and MP3.com but both are taking hours for my artist to be approved!!!!

I don't want to attatch the song here because I worked pretty hard on it for it all to just get snatched away... I hope you guys understand...

Sorry... I'll look for another aspect of the game to work on...

eek
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "so my career choice will wander around."

Then don't choose one! Do everything you want to, there's nothing to stop you...except possibly the bills.
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2006 20:23 Edited at: 4th Nov 2006 20:38
Well, I decided to try and work on the character aspect of the game. I started modelling a head which turned out to be 500 polies. It looks pretty good, I guess. Probably my best.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions? What should I lower the polies to?

Oh yah, he doesn't have ears yet

EDIT: That might end up being the cheif

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2006 01:03
Anybody have any comments on the head? I adjusted the forehead, reduced the polies, added ears and eyeballs and its now at exactly 428 Polies.

I'm working on the texture. Post anything you have to say about the model.

Zedane
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2006 01:05
Hey, i've already commented on your model, but i would like to see an image of the new one, could you post it Xenocythe?

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2006 03:54 Edited at: 5th Nov 2006 03:54
Sure, here it is updated and with the first test texture

Enjoy, and please answer the questions in the image!

Attachments

Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2006 04:10
two words, samurai helmet, maybe red glowing eyes! Very cool.

Zedane
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2006 05:13
well that and the eyes aren't Japanese at all, and the ears look slightly deformed.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2006 05:26
Looks like two partners have opposite opinions, how will you two work together?

Well, I'm working on making them look japense. I looked at Sasuke and I have abetter idea now.

No samurai helmet, he'll have a black, wind-flowy, long cape

Maybe red glowing eyes though. Lol

Thanks

Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2006 05:33
Try to get some basis... Better if you have front and side view...

Portfolio: http://mike-inel.cgsociety.org/gallery/
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2006 06:00
Do you mean to make him look japanese? Other than that, I don't understand what your stating.

I was talking about Sasuke for the eyes, but yes, I'll look at pictures of japenese people to shape the head if that is what you were thinking...

Thanks

eek
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah I think he means use reference images of Japanese people.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2006 11:55
Nice model, only crit is on the eyes, they're too circular. Reference images are also a great deal of help as said.

Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2006 14:55 Edited at: 5th Nov 2006 14:55
Quote: "Looks like two partners have opposite opinions, how will you two work together? "

Well it's simple. We disagree on something for so long that we forget the details the we were disagreeing on and have to make up new ones, thus resulting in an accidental comprimise.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2006 17:09
Ahh, yes, good idea guys. I'll look at japanese ref's and reshape the head. Its easier now that it is already built

What about the texture? Any crit on the texture?

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2006 21:01 Edited at: 5th Nov 2006 21:01
Ok, Here is another attempt.

Please answer, any crit is welcome!

Attachments

Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2006 22:53
That's definetly starting to look Japanese. The mustache makes him look like a chief. Good job.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2006 23:46
Thanks

I started working on the body. Then comes the legs, then cape thingy and arms.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2006 23:55
that looks much more Japanese, I almost imagined him with one of those Japanese pony tails coming from the upper part of the back of his head.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2006 00:29
Actually, I'm basing him off of Ken Watsanabi (or something) from The Last Samurai (great movie). He's pretty much bald, except for some hair in the back, but I don't want to spend any more time on the head

Thanks Sep, I was hoping it would look japanese

Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2006 21:21
Xeno my man, the models are coming along very nicely. Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier on them (you know how busy I get ). I also got a chance to watch your youtube video, VERY nice job! I really liked the lightmapping work you did and the sky and AT. You tied them together pretty well. Now to texture your main character! Lookin snazzy, keep it up!

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2006 21:39
Thanks Alquerian I'm working pretty hard on all of this!

The body and legs are almost complete now for the chief. I'll show them once they look how I want them to.

Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2006 21:51
the nose is a bit pointed, in topdown you will see it. makes him look like he's got a beak. but the rest of the head is well done, maybe the chin is a bit broad. good luck!

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2006 04:17
Nice, man. You're really starting to get the hang of modeling.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2006 16:44 Edited at: 7th Nov 2006 16:54
Hes almost done. Gotta do the texture now

EDIT: Oops, it was a BMP

Enjoy!

Attachments

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2006 16:55 Edited at: 7th Nov 2006 16:55
Here he is

Now, Enjoy!

Attachments

Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2006 17:04
The legs look a little awkward. Kind of like they're too small for his body.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2006 18:20

It's only the perspective your looking at it from. Looka t the side 3d and wireframe, you'll see they are larger

just uploading a signature...

Attachments

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2006 18:24
You know, I'll take a video of fraps. That way, I can record the music too ^^ I'm so dumb, can't believe I didn't think of this.

Anyways, be prepared!

FOR DA MUSIC!!!!

Zedane
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2006 21:33
It looks to me like you put a lot of work in defining the legs from the front persective but not nearly as much work from the sides. Otherwise its a good model.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2006 01:30 Edited at: 8th Nov 2006 01:37
...hmm. Sorry, but the body is not as good as the head at all (at least from those pics). The legs are strange from the side view(or is that a cape? If it is, why is he wearing a cape only on his legs???), the chest is too wide from the front, and the arms and hands are massive. The wireframe is alright from that angle, but it looks kind of screwed up outside of the wireframe.
Not trying to put you down, just think it's important that you fix those. Look at some examples of real bodies or download one of JonnyRee's examples of a person.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2006 01:36
Thanks bizar guy, thats what I was looking for here. I knew he was messed up, and your post was the best

Hahahah, yeah, thats a cape... and dunno, I thought it actually made him look cool
(If you look in the wire you can make out the true shape of the legs)

Making the video for the music... it will be posted soon.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-01 04:48:55
Your offset time is: 2024-05-01 04:48:55