Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

NVIDIA Competition 2008 / Final Exodus

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2006 11:55 Edited at: 19th Apr 2007 16:25
Final Exodus

What is it?

Final Exodus is a Single Player Space RTS with first person control elements. You command a fleet across a small sector in the galaxy and kill any hostile threats, while researching new technologies and advancing your fleet.

What can you do?

Currently you can build ships either into the solar system or from a ship, you can order ships to move or attack, or goto a different solar system. You can also pilot any allied ship you wish if you feel you are better than the AI. You can research new ship building documents or upgrade your engine speed, hull armour, weapons or scout for new solar systems.

Videos?

http://forumfiles.thegamecreators.com/?i=1121606
http://forumfiles.thegamecreators.com/?i=1055558

Screenshots?

Also:

I'd like to thank EVOLVED for creating lots of useful shaders which I used 2 of in this game.

Very Old pics(for nostalgia ) ~
http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/7602/fex2og5.jpg
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/7672/ship1yc3.png

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2006 08:58 Edited at: 18th Dec 2006 10:32
Perhaps not using links to images will gain some replies?, anyways I've now added normal mapping to everything and added a moon, which uses earths moon surface map for now, and the flat shadedness of the meshes will be worked on.

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/3880/fex3kz3.jpg

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2006 11:30
That looks pretty good dude, however with the asteroids I feel they're too smooth and the ship isn't one of your best I must admit. Good work nevertheless.

"Cut down the gods if they stand in your way" - Hakamoto Tsunetomo
Alkaline
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2006 14:51
I agrre, the asteroids look like pebbles, the bump mapping is really nice tho!

1.5 GIG DDR pc3200||ATI 9600xt 256mb||330 GB hard drive||Amd XP 3000+
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2006 16:03
Yeah I realise they are too shiny, just evolved's shader seems to only take one type of dds file for the cube map layer, and reproducing that type is a bit of a pain, and the hull designs aren't supposed to be that complicated as the ships will be contructable from many other parts.

Hallowed are the ori.
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2006 11:22 Edited at: 18th Dec 2006 10:33
Well I've been working hard the past few days to get some gameplay in there, aswell as effects.

I also added in tracking based weapons, as weapons come in 2 types, fixed mounted weapons such as standard lasers or mass drivers on fighters, and tracking turrets/cannons for larger ships that can't turn as fast, the cannons are made from 3 parts, the mount/base and barrel(s), so if you do a flyby you can see them gradually tracking you , I've now added in scripted weapon types, as the large ships in the pics use a railgun and 2 short range cannons(test) both fire at different rates and have diffect damages, impact effects etc etc.

I've been trying to make the target tracking system better, currently the enemys/cannons track you and lead you based on both ships velocities, projectile speed and time, however somewhere in my function it's messing up as they usually aim off slightly thus making it rather easy to kill enemys by using some basic evasive manuvers and that shall be worked on.

I've also modelled the exodus class carrier, haven't really decided on the exact class of ship it should be, as I will likely make more ships alot bigger than it, but it's fun to see them in battle .

Here's a pic of a test battle I created there were 20 exoduses and 20 fighters and shooting whatever the rnd command assigned them to and the battle is pretty cool to watch .

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/9324/fex6gf8.jpg

I've also made it so that when ships are partially damaged they emit smoke, alot of damage and they fire, and my ship in the center is on fire (Must have been lag or something ).

And this is the aftermath of the battle,

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/8231/fex7wk5.jpg

Currently weapons can be added to ships or various things like engines as seen here,

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/1945/fex8ze0.jpg

Though they only have temp meshes as you can see I used my basic engine mesh for it, all ships have boxes around them, these will soon change to a colour of the team, and the small diamons show activated gun batteries, and I've also added burst fire support, as the ship I'm in fires a burst of 10 every 0.05 secs and takes 0.5 secs to reload the next salvo.

Next I'll probably add missiles, and then engine effects, then add teams, then allow ships to search for targets, then allow the user to pick a target, then add the rts view so you can command the battle/issue orders etc, then I'm getting ahead of myself.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2006 21:16 Edited at: 18th Dec 2006 10:33
First triple post in quite some time,

I've now added a sun and a basic nebula to the system, and also improved the target displays, so instead of the health is has a health bar, and the target boxes don't go off screen but wrap around a circle in the screen, I also added missiles, there accuracy needs to be worked on slightly, as with the turrets and ai in general, I've also finished the skin for the exodus class carrier, next I will add hyperspace travel, which will work almost like a instance of the normal space, only moving 1meter will result in 1000 meters travel outside of hyperspace, and thus makes traveling alot quicker between places, then I will make a actual galaxy and replace the stars which are currently random, to ones that reflect your current position in space.

I've also made a video as per pestering request from kentaree on irc , which shows the solar system, space flight, combat ai and stuff.

[edit] forgot the link, http://youtube.com/watch?v=PfxMj1y-r1E

And feel free to post, don't want to end up with just me talking in here :/.

[edit2] some piccies,

New scenery and hud.
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3263/fex10de2.jpg

Missiles in action.
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/7134/fex11hm4.jpg

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2006 21:40
After watching that vid I must say that I'm really impressed! Screens cannot do justice to it the way that vid did.

I look forward to playing this; it looks like a lot of fun.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2006 12:35 Edited at: 18th Dec 2006 10:34
hehe thanks , Haven't added as much as I hoped in the last day, (too busy winning ageia compos ) I improved the nebula texture, now has more colours and looks less black, and also added earth, however it still looks very dim, so I'll be working on adding atmospheres to them soon, I've also added a solar system plan view, so you can see where way you're going and where you are in the system, and eventually see enemys and move forces.

The most important change I've added is the way the solar system is handled, as currently it's 1000000000M in diameter, which is small compared to real life, and I also made planets and the moons 1/10th the real scale, as traveling towards something for a few hours isn't that fun, and as you can imagine having space of that size is boud to cause loads of float errors and make the objects shake around all sorts, but I made all the objects shift every 2km so that the players ship never exits the bounds -2000 to 2000 on each axis, this cuts down on the error, and adds alot more code, but means I can make very big solar systems.

I also revised the games storyline, this is the whole storyline of the game, so if you don't want to spoil yourselves then don't read it.

I also added engine effects, so when you turn on the main engines, the flames come out, and retract when not in use, also each map will be based on each solar system, so I won't have a vast espance inbetween stars instead you just travel between them and arrive there, this allows me to make a better game, and saves time.

and next to come is the rts mode so you can issue orders to friendly ships, and then hyperspace, so that you don't spend all day trying to get across the map, and currently that's how long it takes .

Engine effect~
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/545/fex12wb3.jpg

Nebula and the star~
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/4941/fex13bt8.jpg

Showing how far the distance between the battle and the moon is
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/7664/fex14bi5.jpg

When fully zoomed out, a plan view of the system, and the 2 x's represent the earth and moon.
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/313/fex15od5.jpg

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2006 13:21
Just posting to say that as with all my projects I'm going to recode it, as I hit a few code organizational errors, and in it's current state adding beam weapons, more rts components would make the code very bodged, so recoding it would sort these issues out, Not to worry though, since I'm a fast coder, and I have all the media ready I could build it upto this stage fairly fast, and also I will add some new features, like the smoke trails will be made from plains that stretch/follow the missiles, rather than spawning lots of plains behind it, this will run faster, and look better, I will also add bloom somewhere along the line, and speed up the ai, as the current version if you have more than 20vs20 it starts to slowdown when there's some major combat. I will also change the way the collision checks work, currently I'm updating the collision meshes based on the ships locations, however since I want subsystems damageable that's a slow approach, so raycasting relative to the collision mesh location will speed this all up.

also means I can add ship to ship collisions, and avoidance fields so that enemy don't smash into eachother and all that.

I will make the weapons system more versatile as currently I have quite a big function to load up and handle weapon systems, also I will work on the rts system some more, taking homeworld as a good base, also ships will be able to target multiple targets, as currently carriers attacking one one ship looks a bit stupid when you're getting swarmed by enemys.

anyways that's enough talking, I've attached prettymuch the latest build until I messed it up a bit, note that I haven't yet added failsafes for systems that don't run ps 2.0, so you'll probably get an error, and it's fixed 1024x768, other than that trype the number of ships you want.

Controls are mouse for pitch/roll, a/d for yaw, q/e strafe, r/f for climb/decend, w/s accel/decel, shift = main engines, mousewheel is zoom in/out, left mouse button = guns, right mouse = missiles, space = linear brakes, alt = angular brakes.

THe controls maybe a bit confusing to some, as one of my testers said, however after around 5 mins he liked them, and so do I, can't have games that reward noobs now can we , skill FTW.

if you enable missiles, make sure you look at an enemy ship and press 'T' to target it, else the missile will just do nothing, and if you wish to switch ships, perhaps to a carrier then target it with 'T' and pres 'C', the fighters require you to be zoomed in to the max to control it, since the weapons don't turn to targets, whereas the carriers weapons do, so just target an enemy ship and the guns will do the tracking you just press fire.

Hallowed are the ori.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2006 12:40 Edited at: 18th Dec 2006 10:34
The recode is getting there, I've now fully organised all the ship parts for weapons/hulls/panels etc and now weapons are much more organised, I decided to add a new ship as a temp mesh, and also added one of geecee3's fighters , I've attached a video if you're interested, shows the destroyers with there moving parts and the engines, which are seperate objects and have various thrust values and such, and to show the rts system, which still needs work, but you can select units, tell them to move somewhere, or tell them to attack an enemy, and they will pretty much do that, I haven't added shooting to the ships yet, and I've only added in fighter AI, where they approach/attack and retreat as you would expect, and other ships will have different attack/combat styles.

The destroyer is just a temp mesh, as if any of you are into scifi you will realise why I can't enter the game with that ship in there, it's a damn sweet ship though .

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/1916/fex27ta1.jpg

Attachments

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2006 21:26
That's looking really nice! I like the dreamlike feel that blue-purple skysphere gives. I recommend that people look at the video posted a couple of posts above (here for the lazy ones).

Tempest - P2P UDP Multiplayer Plugin (DBP/DBCe)
Download the free version
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2006 07:09
Friggin nice man! I am looking forward to this one!

RF

Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2006 10:53
Bloom goddamit, why does everyone abuse it?

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2006 16:39 Edited at: 15th Dec 2006 16:39
That is hardly abusing it! I've never seen it look better!

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2006 19:36
Shweet.

I just looked through all the updates since I last posted... Very nice!

What's wrong with bloom though? It's done pretty well here, and it's a darn useful shader when you're going for an over saturated look, or just want to increase the brightness your highlights.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2006 11:35 Edited at: 16th Dec 2006 11:37
It looks good in this project. It does get abused though. It looks bad if everything is bright. It looks fabulous if used correctly.

I will say, however, in that last picture the ships don't look all that great. The textures are flat and too bright, and it causes an odd bloom effect. They're placeholders though, so that doesn't matter one bit. I know DCs ships will look great.

Come see the WIP!
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2006 21:15 Edited at: 16th Dec 2006 21:18
Yea don't worry, I like to get thinngs working first, as visuals can allways be tweaked later without risk of compilation errors , anyways here's a piccie of a new ship, I call it the Hydra class battle carrier, and one dude I showed it to called it the Intergalactic vacuum cleaner :p.

I haven't finished the texture yet though just done the important parts.

Also I finished adding beam weapons today, they look really sweet in realtime so the pics don't do them much justice, and the beams increace in width/length and fade back as they fire so it's all smooth .

I will now allow the AI to fire weapons, then add collision between weapons and ships(then the fun stuff begins).

Steve J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2006 03:41
How are you doing the lasers? I dont quite understand how to do that, but besides that, this game looks excellent. Much better than my game currently, mainly because you have amazing ship models=). I have a modeller helping me out with mine. For the lights on the ship, are you doing luminosity mapping? If so, how? I cant figure out how to make certain things glow when there are shadows cast on them. Or are you just using really dark textures with lights being very bright?

Happiness is like peeing your pants.
Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2006 08:14
The beam weapons themselves, are basically 2 plains at 90 degrees to eachother with culling off, and when I model and texture them I create them to how they would look when at full range, and in my game I position them at the gun barrels, and gradually stretch them out to the full distance they can reach, and then I reposition the laser to the gun each frame so it appears asif the beam is coming from the gun.

To get the windows to glow, I attempted to make a fake illumination map by making a image with just the windows on and the rest transaprent, but it doesn't seem to work with the normal mapping shader, so I just edited my normal map and made all the windows transparent, which prettymuch gets the result I want, however from some angles they get no lighting, but it looks sweet none the less.

Steve J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2006 08:48
Thanks for the info, the 2nd part will help me a lot=D. Besides that, this is one sweet looking sci-fi game=D.

Happiness is like peeing your pants.
Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2006 12:35 Edited at: 17th Dec 2006 12:37
Hehe, thanks ,

I just added double barrel weapon support, so each shot changes barrels when firing, I also added some basic AI to the larger ships, and the battle carrier turns to the side when engaging due to it's weapons setup .

I also made a small video showing the laser effects and double barrels, the cannons currently fire lasers as they look cooler :p, but once I'm done they will fire kinetic projectiles, vid is attached below. Here http://forum.thegamecreators.com/xt/xt_apollo_download.php?i=1073617

I will now add muzzle flashes, and when cannons fire the barrel will retract.

Attachments

Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
That video... is stunning! Congratulations Dark Coder! That looks excellent!

Sometimes the only way over a wall is to pile up enough bodies to climb over - Dave W.
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2006 21:04 Edited at: 17th Dec 2006 21:10
You think that's cool :p, I just added weapons collisions for both lasers and projectiles, and they have there own iamges and effects and all that, this isn't the finished article though, need to make it blast off debris and add some scorches to the ships eventually . here ->> http://forum.thegamecreators.com/xt/xt_apollo_download.php?i=1073914

Attachments

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2006 21:50

...If this plays as good as it looks...

Very impressive.

This is such a high end compo. I mean, nearly every entry looks ten times better than the average game to come out of here.

Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
I wish I had more time to resume my entry. This looks like such a fun compo I pretty much bailed after a week. I couldn't juggle everything at once and had more important projects.

Sometimes the only way over a wall is to pile up enough bodies to climb over - Dave W.
Supremacy
Years of Service
User Offline
wow did you got that dream like feel ? bloom shader ?
flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 07:21
Looks very sweet. Only thing I didn't like in that video is that they only fire lasers at the center of the object. I assume you're going to change that eventually, with the possibility of missing the enemy altogether?

Big whorls have little whorls which feed on their velocity,
Little whorls have lesser whorls and so on to viscosity. - Lewis F. Richardson

Also, my website has no content. But it looks perty
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 10:26 Edited at: 18th Dec 2006 10:35
Yes in that build they only aim for the center, and if you cannot aim there it doesn't fire, I've since changed that so the larger ships are the more innacuracy you are allowed to shoot from, and I will make it so the closer you are the more that increaces, also for lasers I could just check for a raycast and then fire, the reason I can't do that with guns is because they will track the enemy(once I add that) so a simple raycast isn't enough.

And I've now added damage to the ship hulls, and ships can also be destroyed, I also made a video showing this, and if you look closely you will see the individual parts catching alight as the ship is about to blow up. I missed the first ship explosion due to fraps cutting out :p. I will also need to add ship to ship collision checks as in that video you can see some of the friendly ships intersecting, and actually shooting eachother sometimes :p

Vid -->> http://forum.thegamecreators.com/xt/xt_apollo_download.php?i=1074303

I would have added more types of ship in that battle but I never got round to making more collision meshes for everything.

Attachments

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2006 21:17
Hey all,

I've added quite alot to the engine now, not so much visually but technically, ships now collide with other ships, they don't damage each other from collision yet, they just bump each other out of the way which you can see from the video I've attached, also I stopped ships from shooting themselves or allies, ships now blow up better, as each part catches alight gradually then BOOM!, aswell as adding fighters with ai that doesn't totally suck, and I like how fighters explode, as there is a small trail of fire then a pop .

I added a space station as you can see, and it's comprised of 2 moving parts for artificial gravity, this station is merely temp, as it's far too lowpoly for its size, but it's a good placeholder, I also began work on code for the hangar bays, currently I can detect when a ship enters a bay, and not only enters but fully enters it so that they don't vanish, or at lest not visibly.

Soon to come is designing of your own ships, which can be done via parts being welded to the hull, as well as weapons, and engines and what not, you will be able to place panels of armour around your ship to make it look like anything you want, place as many guns on it as you want, however having lots of weapons will mean you will need to start with a large hull which can support the energy requirements, and big ships are slow, and easy targets, so it's all about getting the right balance with your fleet.

I added some other things, like a small sun glare which fades when behind objects, changed the AI of everything, so fighters can kill each other, the carriers also change there y height, though don't yet z rotate themselves to point toward the enemy ship, thus wasting some guns by not allowing them to aim.

I also added anti fighter weapons as seen in the video, these are not just the same as laser with a faster fire rate, these will only track fighters so you can happily engage another carrier, and the anti fighter weapons will lock onto the nearest fighters and start blasting it out of the sky, I also added deviance to the laser rounds, as during my testing one carrier could take on around 200 fighters at once without getting killed .

I will soon add multiple maps to my universe, as well as hyper space travel, and some more RTS things, like researching/building and selection of using using a box, as clicking the mouse is rather tedious.

Also in 1hour I'm leaving for England for Christ(fictional)mas, and will be without a net connection for 3 weeks, so I made this video longer than the others as you will not be seeing any updates for a while, but I will be working on it, so once I'm back you will see a very good video and maybe a demo .

I also have some very good story line ideas in the planning to make this game fun and not click the mouse and see the outcome , so hopefully we shall see those.

Also I'm told by one of my testers that the lasers in this game rock, of course he used much more colourful language .

[edit] ok, well it seems that the apparent "(Max. 50MB)" is actually 20megs and I don't have time to uploa da new one, so pretend you saw a really awosome vid .

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2006 22:18 Edited at: 26th Dec 2006 20:43
Nooo!! Please compress more and post, or upload on youtube!!

well, at least for when you get back

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2007 07:10
Back :p, I just got back home around 20mins ago(straight on the PC ) and the bad news is that I coulden't develop my game while in England due to me screwing up the PC but I still managaed to do some concept art, I will have to do some really fast coding and media creation now .

And I rather dislike YouTube now as the videos quality really sucks when uploaded, I don't see why they don't just use the uploaded videos quality rather than making it super compressed and crap, but I will post some new pics/vids etc once I've added some of these plannes features, like ship construction .

Mr Crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Yo Carlos! Bloody nice work you got there ! I got a feeling you'll be owning at first place. How have you been? You haven't been on msn in ages!

Seen my entry so far?

Hope you had a good christmas,
Nick.

"God - he's my favourite fictional character." - H. Simpson.
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2007 22:17 Edited at: 10th Jan 2007 22:19
Yeah, it'd be nice to have the option to leave files on you tube uncompressed, but I dont mind if it means We can see the vid. Wait! Maybe you could split the vid into two parts and post it in two posts!

Well, I can wait for a newwer vid, but I'd like to see whatever it was we all missed!

tommie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2007 22:18
wow thats amaizing cant wait to play it if its ready

that shader effect makes it realy nice
how do you do that btw

ive reath thise

but i don't understand will you plees explain some more abaut thise

your game is realy looking nice it looks a bit on eve whitch is e realy nice game
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2007 07:44
Hey, sorry for the lack of updates, I've been working on an example game for benjamins Multisync(but you didn't hear that from me ) , and work on my game will progress as normal now, I have also designed a few more things for my game which will make it better, also I have some people to do Voice Overs for missions and/or pilots generic commands, aswell as music for the menu, ingame and battles etc.

@tommie,

The last build of my game used 2 shaders, a normal mapping shader which was applied to prettymuch all the objects other than planets( as they are prettymuch fixed in space so I can pre-render them) and a bloom shader, I use Evolved's PS 1.1 shader, as it's P1.1 alot of people will be able to support it, and also the normal mapping uses 1.1, you can get the shader from the Ultimate Shader Pack I belive but in my game I changed the rendering process from the example it comes with to only bloom certain things, like the sun/nebula and ships to minimize FPS overhead.

tommie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2007 13:22
thx man , and very nice game to , i realy like it
are you gona sell it when its ready ?
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2007 14:34
Oh thank g-d! I was afraid that this game was dead! You'll still have a version for the compo, right?

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2007 16:52
This is dead!? Noo.. Looked so good!

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2007 21:04
Far from dead actually, and I will be spending the next 2 weeks working amazingly hard on it , as I have ALOT of free time, so I can finish this in no time, I even finished my Ageia compo entry in under a week, discluding media however as I recoded it a few times.

Anyways here's a screenshot of the Galaxy/Star Map, obviously I'm not depicting 400billion stars, as that would take a bit of time to name and all :p, so the game will take place in a local cluster of around 40 stars.

In that screenshot you can see some fleets being moved across various systems(Green cones) , aswell as ownership of systems, you can currently select ships and move them around and see the radar range of each planet, which uses a very nifty bloom trick to get the halos to all merge up without any overlapping issues, also you can see some Hyperspace routes which make ships go faster if they are travelling across them, so that makes invading other systems slower and gives the enemys/you more time to react.

ZDawg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2007 18:08
Aww... no debris from the explosions :\'( Plus, I think that the laser's tail end should follow after the firing stops.
example:
>
->
-->
--->
----x
---x
--x
-x
x
as in the ">" is the nose of the laser and "x" is where is hits and "-" is the rest of the laser. Do you see what I mean? It might add in that last little pizazz to the laser fire.
It would also be cool if, when the ship starts to get weaker, that some small spots catch fire before the final fires. Just little ideas, take them or leave them.

Here's an idea for you...
NO!
ZDawg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2007 18:09
Aww... no debris from the explosions :\\\'( Plus, I think that the laser\'s tail end should follow after the firing stops.
example:
>
->
-->
--->
----x
---x
--x
-x
x
as in the \">\" is the nose of the laser and \"x\" is where is hits and \"-\" is the rest of the laser. Do you see what I mean? It might add in that last little pizazz to the laser fire.
It would also be cool if, when the ship starts to get weaker, that some small spots catch fire before the final fires. Just little ideas, take them or leave them.

NO!
ZDawg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2007 18:11
sorry, i was having problems with my post.

NO!
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2007 18:33
You could have edited your 2nd post , and the laser thing is a good idea, I could give the lasers a certain damage length, so if you fire at something fast moving like a fighter it would do some damage but the laser will still carry on moving, and I could incorporate that ideo with the lasers tail increacing as it moves.

Also, I will add damage to ships, I just never got round to adding it in the last versions, I will make it so if you go over a certain ammount of damage, with a missile for instance you may see a large explosion come off the hull, and maybe some debris.

Also I will definentey add ship corpses that fly around for a while.

One thing I've removed from the single player version of this game is the ability to place things like hull panelling onto ships, the reason for this is because this is an RTS, and micro-managing small details like that would waste far too much time, and I will add this to the Online version, as you only have one ship to manage them, however you will be able to ad guns though, this will be done by dragging and dropping weapons onto the hull as that's the easiest idea I could think of.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2007 20:29 Edited at: 8th Feb 2007 18:50
Here's a small update, I improved the system graphics somewhat, and have halos on planets aswell as planetary rings as shown here.

http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/4448/pic15sn8.jpg

Also I've finished writing up the storys/scripts for the missions, I have 3 Missions planned, if I have time I will add more, but the game is free roam anyway, so you don't have to do the missions, also I have a few Voice Over people helping me, so I should be able to get episode scrips narrated, and get some of the "There's a hole in my ship! Ahhhhh..." sounds in there .

Flashing Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2007 21:54 Edited at: 6th Feb 2007 21:54
Quote: " also I have a few Voice Over people helping me"

"She kanee take noo more cap'in"

The word "Gullible" cannot be found in any English Dictionary.
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2007 16:40
FPS 323 OMGg!

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2007 18:41 Edited at: 8th Feb 2007 18:50
Ok small update, I spent a while understanding why the planets looked so bad, and fixed them!
http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/5551/pic20nm2.jpg

Also in that piccie you can see the new ship HUD markers, they expand/contract depending on distance, and the ships either in the distance or very small are 4 pixel diamonds, and are coloured to their races colour scheme as seen on the galaxy view, aswell as the name of the ship, which appears when the marker expands wide enough.

Ships can now jump out of hyperspace and into the current system when you are playing in it, the effect is currently just a flash and it appears, however my good friend Geecee3 is whipping up some animations for that, and he is helping with the ship models too .

Quote: "FPS 323 OMGg!"

Yes, when I started the recode I removed Vsync and tested in a window so I could see my max FPS, I also discovered a few optimatizations that I failed to use earlier, such as caching my particle system made the FPS drop from around 2000 to 150, I quickly fixed that while having no adverse effects and I think it stayed around 1700 FPS, then my star system, I originally had one large object with many flat polys which were wireframed, then I changed the vertex diffuse to simulate flickering, however editing vertecie on the fly is actually very slow, and so I sliced it up into 6 star objects 5 of which I change the global objects diffuse and now lost almost no FPS from it, great things can come from a recode >_>, shame that deadline is getting any longer :o.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2007 18:55
Ok another update, I've improved the graphics of this system now, by making a new nebula texture and rings to match the planet, and tinting the ambient light to reflect the scene, I also added some better hyperspace exit window effects which I snapped in both shots, it looks pretty cool in realtime, as the cloud forms first then a flash and the ship flys out the decelerates , I also added the movement markers so they show the ships size, and relative x/z distance and the y height as it's easier to view it like this from 3d.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2007 23:03
whAOw! That looks really good. I hope it plays as well as I suspect it does.

btw, is that race Vanguard, or is that the type of ship?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 21:27:33
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 21:27:33