Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Danger Ground - Action RPG and Team Request

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2007 18:20 Edited at: 17th Jul 2008 12:56
(Edit: First big update can be found here: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=118390&b=8&p=2#m1548310)

Hi!

For a few weeks now we (a team of two programmers) are working on Dangerground, a 2D Top-Down spritebased Action-RPG.
We divided development into two parts to progress faster, so my part is the Game-Editor and my friend (thomas) makes the game itself.
The editor is working quite well and the most important parts are finished (screens below), but the game is not very far because thomas has to work for university.

So for now I could tell you something about the concept of the game, some ideas for a story and there are some screenshots of the editor.

But I will start with the "Team Request". In fact we just need one artist to create some decent sprites for the game, things like animated characters (especially soldiers and... well.. zombies), trees, textures (ground, roof, water, maybe more), cars etc.
As you can see in the screenshots the used graphics are of rather low quality and that's not how we want the game to look.

Back to the game. The concept was created by accident when I told Thomas about another game idea of mine (which was a Jump and run-Shooter...). He combined some of my ideas with his imagination of a good Top-Down-Shooter and finally informed me about his vision of such an actionbased realtime Shooter-RPG-Thing.
So it is basically a shooter with top-down-perspective, in which the player controls a character with different weapons (and of course an inventory), grenades etc. to convert a city into a big firework of explosions.
The game is supposed to get a Singeplayer and multiplayer part, where the SP-Mode is rather based on tactics: The player doesn't only control his character but a whole team of NPCs who follow him through the missions. The multiplayermode concentrates on fast deathmatches, not just with players but also NPC-enemies (like zombies), which spawn at predefined spawnpoints and drop items to improve each player's equipment.

The concept is bigger, but I don't want to bore you with details.

As mentioned above the game is in a very early stage, but the editor is going very well.
The editor will probably be available for players to create own multiplayer-maps, so it's as userfriendly as possible. The user is able to design the basic map (with different customizable ground-types, like grass, sand, street and so on), place entities (static, e.g. benchs and trees, or dynamic objects which can be destroyable or movable) and light-sources (the pre-generated light is just influenced by static objects).
The lightmapping used is quite simple and unrealistic but nevertheless increases the atmosphere if used well.

1. Screenshot of some simple lightmaps created outside the editor, with four lightsources and many objects. Lightmapping this scene needs more than 5 seconds, so we won't be able to use it in realtime.

2. Screenshot of a scene with colored lights in the editor.

3. Screenshot of a scene with more entities and Spawn-Points.

I will post more screenshots and information the next days, and hope for any feedback and, of cource, replys to the artist Request.
Also I hope that the thread won't be locked because I am asking for help...

Thanks for your interest and any answers!
Mr Kohlenstoff.

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2007 19:14
That lightmapping is really impressive

Unfortunatelly, I suck at graphics, but if you do want a good engine, shouldn't you design it to work with any graphics, and let your friend worry about finding the right ones?

Sorry by the way, I didn't read the whole thread.

"It's like floating a boat on a liquid that I don't know, but I'm quite happy to drink it if I'm thirsty enough" - Me being a good programmer but sucking at computers
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2007 20:27
My friend will make the game-engine, I am just responsible for the editor.
So it will work with any graphics, but of course we want the game to look as good as possible.
Thanks for the comment.

Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2007 20:56
looks and sounds interresting. i can not join your team, cause i got enough work with my own projects, but i can share some of my tileable ground textures, if you like.

Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2007 22:27 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2007 15:02
Quote: "but i can share some of my tileable ground textures, if you like."

That would be great! Thanks.

Edit:

~New Screenshot~

I created a "forrest" with some lights.. I love lightmapping. Aaand the editor is updated, now it far enough to be used for the game.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2007 07:13
Impressive. But don't go to overboard with lightmapping in the final game.

Not a fan of topdown myself, but goodluck. I'd point you to someone good at sprites on the forum, but seeing as they're not used much I can't. And sorry but I can't help myself, as though I'm good at art, I'm also rediculously busy and bad with teams.

Superman wears Chuck Norris PJ's
Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2007 18:56 Edited at: 24th Nov 2007 18:56
i tried to upload the stuff here, but it does not work. i'll send you an e-mail, k?

Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2007 19:14
Quote: " Impressive. But don't go to overboard with lightmapping in the final game."

Sure... we'll try to use it just where it fits.

Quote: "Not a fan of topdown myself, but goodluck."

Thanks, we will probably need it.

Quote: " i tried to upload the stuff here, but it does not work. i'll send you an e-mail, k?"

Yes, that would be very nice, thanks!

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2007 22:02
Fraid I can't help but this looks impressive: building an editor's always a fairly in-depth job.

I would suggest you make it so the lightmapping ignores the park benches, or at least just casts a bench-shaped shadow: at the moment it's sort of blocked. But other than that, your lightmapping looks very effective!

I'm not actually a Kiwi, I just randomly thought it up one day.
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2007 16:59 Edited at: 5th Dec 2007 20:29
I've got some textures by ->green7<- last week (thanks!) and included them into the game. Apart from that I polished the editor and we finally integrated the map-loading function into the actual game, what was quite hard to realize.

However, here's a screenshot. I'm not sure why the trees lost there transparency, maybe it's because I resized and saved them with paint... also the textures don't look that good because I had to reduce the size from 512*512 to 64*64 pixels (A shame!).

We are looking forward to getting an animated soldier within the next days, a friend of mine wanted to do that.. we'll see if he finishs it. Nevertheless we'd appreciate any form of help in relation to graphics.

Edit:

Here a screenshot of the actual game in action.. still not very far.

Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2007 20:31
@MC: i'm still green7, not darth kiwi, but no matter what, call me if you need help.

ok, now i see how you want to use the textures. hm, i think i make some better tiles for you. i try to bring it on in about a time. hang on!

greez, green7

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2007 20:43
Really good graphics and i really like the lightmapping, however you need to work a little on the bullets.

SamHH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2007 20:59
If its a .dds make sure its an 8888 unsigned.

Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2007 21:25
Quote: " @MC: i'm still green7, not darth kiwi, but no matter what, call me if you need help."

Uaaaaargh... sorry again. Thanks for your support!

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Made you a bullet btw.
Do you like it (its the attachment BTW)
Oh and what size is it for the bullet?

[href=http://www.freewebs.com/deatheadstudios/]

[/href]

Attachments

Login to view attachments
DBer
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,
the bullet is nice but I don't think we'll need it as detailed as it is. While shooting with ballistic weapons it should look more like muzzle flash and some smoke appearing everywhere the bullet hits a wall. Not actally displaying the bullet on the screen itself. Maybe we could use the bullet image for bullet/shell casing lying on the ground.
Anyway, the size of the current bullet is 6*6 px.
BTW: I'm the developer of the game engine
Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2007 20:03
Greez DBer, got some questions about gfx: do you prefere the tiles for the map each as a single picture 64*64, or as a complete picture with all different tiles united where you read only the tiles you need?

Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2007 12:13
Quote: "Greez DBer, got some questions about gfx: do you prefere the tiles for the map each as a single picture 64*64, or as a complete picture with all different tiles united where you read only the tiles you need?"

I think 64x64 would be the best solution. Atm we are working with several singe sprites and afaik we won't change that. I am just not sure how we will integrate smooth texture-transition on the ground, so it's still possible that we'll change the texture-handling somehow.. but till then we just need 64*64 px-images.

Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2007 14:43
Try this...

Attachments

DBer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2007 23:18 Edited at: 7th Jan 2008 22:09
Ok,
now most of the basic engine is done, including weapons, explosions/emission, collision and basic AI.
But we are still hoping to find someone who can make better and even more realistic looking sprites. Some animated sprites (soldiers, zombies) would be nice .

Here's a screenshot showing the current progress.
But I can't show the special effects in motion because capturing the screen with Fraps ends up in horrible lost of performance/FPS.

[/url]
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2007 21:28
~~Update~~

We worked on the game the past few days and included more features like usable vehicles with driving physics (sliding etc.). Also there's a new crossaim and some great performance improvments (sync rate is usually locked to 60 as you can see in the screenshots, we'll make the game timerbased as soon as the gameplay is finished).
The editor has a navigation-minimap and also some new features making map-creation much easier.

We are working on the game as much as we can to finish a playable demo withing.. well.. the next months. Probably we'll need that long because there are tons of things missing for a good, fun and representative game.
And we won't upload any kind of demo before there are better sprites! So, if somebody is interested in a demo he could help us by making some cool images like animated characters, vehicles, particles, objects and whatever. We are open to anything looking realistic or at least good. And of course we'll mention everybody helping us in any way in the credits.

So, here's a new screenshot showing a jeep in action.
Comments appreciated!

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2007 21:39
Hah, that looks nice. If it plays as fluid as I think, we're getting bigstyle mayhem .

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2007 21:40
Looks great!

Tip: Record with Fraps, then speed up with Windows Movie Maker.

Productivity on Hassassin has increased tenfold.
Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2007 10:12 Edited at: 18th Dec 2007 10:55
looks nice that far. if you need some splatters, take a look at this site:http://www.cgtextures.com/

ever tryed the tiles i posted?

and try the attachment as crater for impacts.

Attachments

Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2007 18:31
@tha_rami and veintitres: thanks for the compliments. But nevertheless we also like constructive criticism, so if anything seems to be bad or missing just tell us.

@grenn7: This site is cool, might eventually help us a lot. If you mean the grass-sand-tile with all sorts of transition: no. The problem is, that we can't implement the tile-transition in the way you did it there. This would definatly need to much RAM all in all (we are going to have much textures... if we combined all in this way that would end in thousands of sprites). Single textures without any blending are perfect. We will blend them on our own as soon as we have a good plan of how to do it. (I already have an idea and read an interesting article about it, maybe I'll try realizing it during next week)

The crater also looks promising. We are definatly going to integrate it. If it looks as good as in the browser it will increase the visual quality a lot. (There will be much of them.. because bombing the environment is the most fun thing you can do atm )

- - - - - -

I made a video with GameCam yesterday. There were no speed-problems this time, the game ran quite fluently. I tried to show everything possible in the video, so you'll see it's not that much and there's still much more to do. But never the less it is fun to play and everything works well so far.

Like always, comments, criticism and better visuals are appreciated.

Video:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WI-oxph2i2E

Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2007 20:20
ok, but you can use the center grass tiles i think, if you use at last 3 different and set them randomized it should do a much better job with less repeating effect than now.

that vid looks like a damn huge lot of fun!

do you plan to use the 2d physics dll for blowing up the benches?

if it helps i'll try to make some better trees. can you tell me what size you like?

greez, green7

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2007 22:19
I'm wondering: this started off with some lightmapping thing. I don't see anything that reminds me of that... where's the lightmapping?

Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2007 22:42
Quote: " ok, but you can use the center grass tiles i think"

Yes, I've just integrated it.

Quote: "if you use at last 3 different and set them randomized it should do a much better job with less repeating effect than now."

Interesting idea, I will think about it.

Quote: "that vid looks like a damn huge lot of fun!"

Thanks.. it's supposed to look so. x)

Quote: "do you plan to use the 2d physics dll for blowing up the benches?"

No, not really. This kind of physics is not really useful for topdown-games is it? We didn't really plan to integrate any kind of rigid body physics etc.

Quote: "if it helps i'll try to make some better trees. can you tell me what size you like?"

Yes, we take anything. The best size would be something around 200x200px.. I guess. Maybe smaller, maybe some bigger ones.

Quote: "I'm wondering: this started off with some lightmapping thing. I don't see anything that reminds me of that... where's the lightmapping?"

That's true. ^^ We integrated the lightmapping into the game today. But atm it's not optimized. The lightmaps are completely generated every time the game is started, so 20 lights would increase the loading time from nearly 0 to a minute. We will somehow change that and save the rendered lightmap-sprites in compressed form into the mapfile and just create an image from this stored data. That should be much more efficient.
Maybe we will post some screenshots of ingame-lightmapping tomorrow.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2007 23:55
This is looking good so far . Maybe make the jeep turn a bit slower though.

Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 00:15 Edited at: 21st Dec 2007 00:15
Quote: "Maybe make the jeep turn a bit slower though."

Apart from the fact that we'll face balancing later I think that the speed is OK as it is. The only problem is, that the camera is too slow. We'll change the camera-behaviour a bit to improve the players field of view when driving.
And thanks for the compliment. [Edit: I just realized that I misunderstood you.. Decreasing the turning-speed might indeed be a good idea]

New screenshot:

It just shows a new vehicle and another crosshair (sorry for it being partly pink, we'll fix that... it's a jpg ).

Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2007 19:44
Sorry for the bump but I doubt anybody would recognize an Edit hence the thread wasn't updated for some days.

So, I'll start with an update: We worked very hard on the game yesterday, got many bugs fixed, concerning errormessages and performance (which is quite good at the moment, with 10 motion planning enemies in screen more than 350 FPS). Apart from that we integrated pickups (like healthpacks, speed-boost and so on), a very very basic HUD showing Life and Shield (the shield works similar to halo and reloads after some time), we programmed a part of the AI, so the enemies are able to hide behind objects to avoid being shot. Today we worked on the collision and it's not possible anymore to walk over buildings (Which are at the moment just roof-tiles.. so not real buildings, just a groundtype which can't be walked on).

But - and that's for us the most important aspect now - we still need graphics! There are some textures, one tree, two MS Paint-cars and an unanimated player, some particles and a "stolen" explosion, not to mention the pink crosshair.

Here a list of things we desperately need. We would really REALLY appreciate if anybody helped us out.
-Animated zombie (smaller than 64x64px, maybe 32x32 would be OK)
-street/asphalt-texture (64x64)
-roof-textures (They can be even bigger to be used for one building.. so 500x300 or so is also nice)
-sand-texture (also 64x64)
-blood (to be used as ground-overlay for atmospheric reasons and of course consequence of battles)

I think that's it so far... We appreciate every single texture, really. And of course everyone helping us would be mentioned in the credits.

Thanks in advance.

Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2007 15:56 Edited at: 24th Dec 2007 15:57
a small christmass present for you guys. i know, its not really something you're in need for, but i had a creative boost this morning...

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2008 21:45
This looks great. Appears to run very solidly, and you appear to be tackling the development logically- what you have looks expandable. I have faith this will become even more awesome.

The control system / view and gameplay is totally sweet. It looks like a cross between Cannon Fodder and Alien Breed and Walker. The ultimate Amiga game! It's like the Alien Breed sequel i dreamed of as a kid. I'm guessing it's WASD or arrows to move about and mouse to target and shoot your weapons. If so then good.

Talking of Aliens, it would be cool to have some Aliens in it. Like in the film Aliens. Loads and loads of them. I guess kind of like "Alien Shooter" (PC game), but i prefer your control scheme.

You've probably thought about this already, but having weapons using left and right click would be cool. Eg left = machinegun, right = grenade launcher.

Having the view centred in front of your guy might be an idea.

I've got a whole bunch of ideas for this kind of game in my head and on bits of paper somewhere, but i think it's best to leave them there for the time being.

Graphics are cool. Love the Warthog. The guy shouldn't sit in the middle though.

Really looking forward to seeing / playing more of this. I'm crap at texturing but if i find anything cool i'll let you know. Good luck!

SUPER BADASS SPACESHIP X: WEBSITE
FORUM TOPIC
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2008 22:05 Edited at: 7th Jan 2008 22:22
@Green7: Thanks! This wallpaper looks really cool, will use it in my signature instead.

@Mr Tank: Thank you, that's the kind of post we need.

Quote: "This looks great. Appears to run very solidly"

Runs with more or less constant 300 FPS, and will probably be even faster if we use the Advanced Sprite-plugin instead of DBPs usual sprite-system.

Quote: "It looks like a cross between Cannon Fodder and Alien Breed and Walker. The ultimate Amiga game! It's like the Alien Breed sequel i dreamed of as a kid."

I know none of these games, but cool that you like the gameplay though. And yes, we use WASD to move and the mouse to aim.

Quote: "Talking of Aliens, it would be cool to have some Aliens in it. Like in the film Aliens. Loads and loads of them. I guess kind of like "Alien Shooter" (PC game), but i prefer your control scheme."

As mentioned somewhere in this thread we are going to use zombies because they simply belong to the storyline. Aliens are not really what we want, but we might of course think about them as part of the multiplayer.. but to be honest I don't believe that we will include them.

Quote: "You've probably thought about this already, but having weapons using left and right click would be cool. Eg left = machinegun, right = grenade launcher."

The weapons will be the main-RPG-part of the game. The player will be able to upgrade it in any way. We are still not sure how exactly the weapon-system will be in the final game, but we have several ideas how to do it, and all of them seem to be quite cool. And this systems include alternative fire-modes.

Quote: "Having the view centred in front of your guy might be an idea."

We will definately work on the camera-movement, especially when driving fast cars the player just sees what's going on behind him, so we'll make the camera more "intelligent" to let the player always see everytihng in front of him.

Quote: "Graphics are cool. Love the Warthog. The guy shouldn't sit in the middle though."

Yep, right, the vehicle-system is still in progress, so the player might be hidden when sitting in vehicles or so.

Quote: "Really looking forward to seeing / playing more of this. I'm crap at texturing but if i find anything cool i'll let you know. Good luck!"

Fine, thanks.

We didn't post anything for more than two weeks now, but of course we are still working on the game. There are many really cool features and systems finished now, many bugs removed, and we hope to be able to finish a demo.. well.. maybe this summer.

If anyone decides to help us by drawing some bitmaps... we want the game to be set in a scenario similar to the ravenholm-part of half life 2. Here's a screenshot:
http://www.fpsteam.it/img2004/half-life2/half-life2_04.jpg

Edit:

I worked on a scripting-engine for the last few days and it's nearly finished now. It's very fast and powerful, and I can't find any bugs, so we will use it for cutscenes and triggers in the singleplayer-mode and probably even to have interactive multiplayermaps.

GhostDogg
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey there,Mr Kohlenstoff.I sent you an email with some textures i made it 5 mins.Please Tell me what you think.
GhostDogg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2008 12:00 Edited at: 8th Jan 2008 14:37
Edit: Sorry for the double post.Please delete it.
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2008 14:36
Thanks. So far the textures look good, even if the asphalt seems to be really simple, without any structure. I will integrate them today and see how they look ingame.

GhostDogg
Years of Service
User Offline
I tried to add less details because it will look bad when tiled.
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2008 16:04 Edited at: 8th Jan 2008 17:40
Quote: "I tried to add less details because it will look bad when tiled."

Good point. I'm ready with homework, so now there's time to include them. I will probably post a screenshot with your new textures. Then you will finally see our new tile-blending.... maybe.

Edit: I uploaded the screenshot, your textures fit in very well. The tile-blending is not finished yet so it's not very realistic and a bit to blurry, but we'll probably stay at this technique though.

Edit2: btw, on the image you can see the navigation-minimap in the bottom left corner.. very handy.

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2008 07:07
How do you perform the tile blending? It looks really nice. Can you provide some pseudo code or describe the technique?

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2008 18:48
I will try to explain the system in short, but it might not be that easy, we had to think and work many days to make it as polished as it is now.

1. The program loads a tile (in this case 64x64 pixels big)
2. Fading has to work in 8 directions (top,right,left,bottem and diagonal), so the program creates the fading borders (internally, it just manipulates some alpha values). This fade-image is saved in a temporary folder and loaded as animated sprite. I uploaded such an image here:

(Note: Because just the alpha-values are changed some browsers might not be able to draw the fadings correctly, so it might look like a 4x2 times tiled texture..)

3. Every tile-template gets an unique priority.
4. During runtime the tiles are drawn in order of their priority, so it usually starts with priority 0, then 1, 2, up to the highest existing priority-value.
5. Every tile checks if it's neighbours (in all 8 directions) have a smaller priority, and if so, the right border is drawn onto this tile. This algorithm is a bit more complex, but quite hard to explain. Basically it works as described, just with some more conditions etc.

That's it... kind of complex, but I doubt that other methods are much easier to realize. And because this system is able to paste any kinds of fading (we could draw the fade-borders manually and load them instead to get better transition-effects) it's flexible enough for us, and all in all it works very well and fast.

By the way: We still need some animated characters... it would be really great if somebody could create an animated soldier, he should just be able to move. And maybe have a shooting-frame.. there must be someone talented who has enough time and motivation to help us?

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2008 21:19
looking very nice dude, keep it up... are you going to make buildings and such?

"these shoes are 300 hundred dollars"-Shoes by Kelly http://smallgroupproductions.com/
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2008 22:27 Edited at: 10th Jan 2008 21:16
Quote: "are you going to make buildings and such?"

Yep, there will be buildings. Atm they are just handled as tiles you can't walk over, but we will add the possibility of adding big building-objects, maybe also with entrances to walk in and out.

Edit: Thanks for the feedback @people beyond.

I uploaded a new screenshot. The ambience is much more like we want it to be now, mainly because of the creepy tiles. Thanks again.
By the way, this spotted brown rectangles with grey border are meant to be buildings... you see, we desperately need help.

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2008 13:13
cool, i bet that will hard to do and keep visuals on your guy...

This is my WIP, not even ready for a WIP thread yet though.http://smallgroupproductions.com/
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2008 14:13 Edited at: 10th Jan 2008 14:13
The visual effects you got going in the game is really something (love the shadows) and considering similar games like Canon Fodder, Commandos and Syndicate this game might be a lot of fun to play

[center]
CREATE games with ease! NO programming required!
WIP
Julius Caesar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2008 19:17 Edited at: 11th Jan 2008 19:18
Fantastic work here... This is like a working version of a 2d game I tried to make last year! Fantastic stuff!

Constructive Criticism:
On your latest screenshot, the benches seem to have some odd black background. Perhaps transparency could be used here?

Suggestion:
I love what you have done with the lightmapping, with the white area around a light. Would it be possible to have a black fader when there is a large distance to the light? This would give even more shadow depth, and in corners could be really quite interesting (maybe hiding in the shade?).

Great work here, really. Keep it coming!

DBer
Years of Service
User Offline
@Julius Caesar: Thank you very much. I noticed the transparency problem on the benches. Resolving this is just done in a minute
Your Suggestion about the "black fader" is really interesting and we will surely include some sort of darkness.

Today I worked a lot on AI. Now the enemies fire at the player with a specified weapon. There is also a squad you can command.
It's pretty cool getting right into the action while seeing the rest of the team going around the building and trying to shoot the enemy from behind
Just added a screenshot to show you what is already done but it's really hard to put the best scene in here. I spend a lot of time trying to get a good screenshot...anyway, here it is:

[/url]
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2008 22:49
My suggestion- try isometric rather then completely top down.

Hassassin MMORPG - Postponed until C++ learned for serverside
New Online Game - Designing Stage
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2008 23:33
Quote: "My suggestion- try isometric rather then completely top down."

Well, isometric view might be a good solution for many 2D-games, but in this case we are sure that topdown is the best we can do. The lightmapping is much less difficult, pasting the graphics is easier and more effective (we don't have to get sprites in 8 different directions) and finally isometric view would ruin the action-gameplay. For instance aiming would be kind of strange in an isometric world.
We could of course make the sprites partly isometric, so you can see the walls of the buildings. That would be possible and easy to realize, we'll see if that brings any visual advantages.
Thanks for your feedback.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2008 01:17
Keep it this way. Nice and consistent. Like your progress.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 08:56:48
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 08:56:48