Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / RPG Mod Official Thread

Author
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2012 04:35
flaming chainsaw
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2012 04:49
replied

http://flamingchainsawmodels.webs.com/
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2012 22:53 Edited at: 20th Apr 2012 23:02
Here is a video that shows several RPGmod commands including the new feature which allows for weapons or any other player held entity such as an RPW, book, or etc., to be a part of inventory. I include the scripts here that are a part of this video.

The first script is the conversation with receptionist.

The second script has to do with repairing the phone using the blue RPW.

The third script is the script that allows the player to repair the wall phone.

The video shows the player answering a question from the receptionist. Although the answer I gave as the player is determined by keywords it does not have to be stated exactly how I had given it. There are many possible variations that can be given as a response to the receptionist's question. However, it will need to have implication to asking where the phones are or how many phones are there that need to be repaired.

This video also shows how the player retrieves his blue RPW and then use it to repair the phones.

If anybody has any questions regarding the scripts and how the commands work or exactly what they do, then please ask.

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2012 01:44
Funny, for some reason I'd got it into my head that RPG Mod scripts were, by necessity, really long and complex. I guess those 3 scripts prove me wrong!

Now that I've seen for myself that RPG scripting needn't be long and complex, I'm even more inclined to have a go with the mod

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2012 03:31
The scripts themselves are not all that large as I did most of the coding so that everything is mainly done within the game engine for the developer. The work is done behind the scenes so to say.

However, the setup files can be lengthy. But it depends on how much data you will need for the game. Setup files are for storing data strings in the game engine. DBPro uses arrays and I implement user type arrays to store the data as it is read into the engine.

Here is just the setup text files for the talk boxes. I don't mind sharing.

You will notice that there is more data than just the text for the characters. There has to be a chat number to indicate the text you want to show when you put it into a script. Also, you need to indicate the chat type so that the engine knows which talkbox subroutine to execute. As an example: In receptionist script you will notice this command, "rpg_talkbox=52." This tells the engine to display chat number 52. You can look that up in the code above. You will notice it is chat type #1 which is the standard/normal talkbox. This freezes the game until the player clicks the mouse button. However, I created a new command and used it for the receptionist as well; "rpg_talkboxnogamefreeze=53 0." The chat number is 53 and the 0 indicates to the engine that the player will use the mouse to end the display. However, this does not freeze the game and the text will be displayed as long as the player doesn't click the mouse button. You can also you a number larger than 0 and this will tell the engine to show the text for a specified amount of time in milliseconds.

I think I've indicated that it is necessary to know scripting and that is true. But, more importantly you need to know the concepts and logic of programming in order to create a script that does what you would like it to do.

I kind of got carried away here, but, I enjoy talking about my mod. It's still my baby. And I know it's in good hands with Ched80.

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2012 04:43
So, while the scripting used in the levels themselves aren't that complex, the scripts that set everything up, in the background, are. I think I understand lol

Quote: "I kind of got carried away here, but, I enjoy talking about my mod. It's still my baby. And I know it's in good hands with Ched80."

You can't be blamed for that, especially when you've invested so much time and effort into something like this.

And, yes, Ched80 seems to be doing a great job providing support and updates

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2012 23:06
Hi all,

Just to announce that v5.51 is now ready for download here.

Lots of new features and fixes in this one:

Incorporated official release of v119. Check out my Script Syntax List here for full list of the script commands.

Added rpg_nameinput= condition that stores a player's name into an internal variable. An example of how the command can be used is shown below.

The player's name can then be used in any of the RPGmod text commands (questions, generic selections, etc.) by using $plrname in the string. Some examples are shown below.

The rpg_openfile2write command has been changed (thanks to Flatlander for this). The changes are in the way the file is to be encrypted. All you have to do now is indicate the following: rpg_openfile2write X-Y Z

X - the file number of 1 to 3.
Y - a flag to either encrypt the file or not. 0 = do not encrypt file or 1 to encrypt file. If there is no Y then it will NOT encrypt file.
Z - is the FILE NAME of the file.

rpg_openfile2write=1-1 level16.txt, or
rpg_openfile2write=1-0 level16.txt, or
rpg_openfile2write=1 level16.txt

The rpg_write2file then needs the following syntax: rpg_write2file=X Y

X - file number and
Y is the text to write.

The command rpg_mouseclick has also been fixed (thanks to Flatlander for this): rpg_mouseclick=X X can be 1-10 or -1

Returns true if the indicated mouse button is pressed.

X=-1 - any mouse button or combination
X=1 - left mouse button
X=2 - right mouse button
X=3 - mouse button #3
X=4 - mouse button #4
X=5 - combination left and right mouse button
X=6 - combination mouse buttons #3 and #4
X=7 - combination left mouse button and mouse button #3
X=8 - combination left mouse button and mouse button #4
X=9 - combination right mouse button and mouse button #3
X=10 - combination right mouse button and mouse button #4

The command rpg_playerhasthisweapon has also been fixed (thanks to Flatlander for this).
The manual needs also to be revised. The OLD description was:
Quote: "
This checks whether the player has collected the weapon names as
WeaponName. WeaponName should be the same as the name of the gun folder in gamecore\guns."

REVISED description should be as the following:
This checks whether the player is actually carrying or showing the the weapon named as WeaponName. This returns true if the player DOES have this weapon in his/her possession. WeaponName should be the same as the name of the final gun folder of weapons path in gamecore\guns. For example the colt45 would not include the subfolder ww2 and the blaster will not include the subfolder scifi but you would indicate the name of the gun folder in the following example."

Example
:rpg_playerhasthisweapon=blaster:state=1

A revision for the use of rpg_playerhasweapon is needed as follows. OLD description:
This condition returns true if player has their weapon slot filled."

REVISED description:
This condition returns true of the player is carrying ANY kind of weapon or even a non-weapon such as a book. There is no parameter for this condition."

elbow
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Ched and Flatlander

Thanks for updating this great mod and pushing the boundaries even further. Greatly appreciated.

regards

Eugene
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2012 01:07 Edited at: 16th May 2012 09:22
I was going to update my EdMod and then try to sell it outside of my community. I'm too old to mess with that. I'm just having fun doing updates so I will offer these updates to the public mod. I am creating it in EdMod and then I will see if Ched would like to use them. Here is a list of what I am planning on doing.

1. Executing files by command action - should be able to have files to execute from different folders
2. A windows message/dialog box with different options available
3. Execute a flash movie - this is going to be cool
4. A splash screen that can have the shape of an image file
5. A window that can have the shape of an image file
6. Working with .INI files special format
7. AntiAlias and Anisotropic feature

#1, #2 and #7 are finished. Started #3.

#4 and #5 may not be possible.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code . . . reminds me….. if I had one more brain cell, I could have a synapse! woo hoo, Sparky!

~I'm the Terry of the Flatlands.
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2012 07:56 Edited at: 28th Apr 2012 15:12
Never mind.

I welcome any criticism you have that doesn't effect me. I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

flaming chainsaw
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2012 08:05
im still having absolutly no luck getting RPG mod to work
i have good plans for games with this mod but i cant make them cause this doesnt work

computer specs: ASUS,Win7 x64, AMD Phenom II X6 1035T Processor, ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series, 2600 Mhz, 6 Cores, 6 Logical Processors, 8 Gig RAM, 1 Terabyte Memory, I am a happy child
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2012 09:21 Edited at: 16th May 2012 09:21
Just to let others know, we got RPGmod working for flaming chainsaw. However, I know that he is having problems with the ranking system --- I think. One of my next projects is to make a tutorial for it. I might finally try to make a video tutorial. Who knows.

I think Pirate Myke is basically done with the FPI EditPad RPGmod list and definitions. I just need to provide him with about 28 definitions that weren't already in the manual.

I specifically wanted to bump this up with a new post so that it doesn't get automatically locked.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code . . . reminds me….. if I had one more brain cell, I could have a synapse! woo hoo, Sparky!

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2012 16:51
Always nice to see my favourite Mod actively being worked on

The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2012 09:53
@Flatlander
Could you please tell us how you got it working? Just so others know if they encounter the same problem. Mainly so I don't have to worry if I get it :p

-TZK

flaming chainsaw
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2012 13:46
@TZK

i had an extra files folder within the main files folder, the mod was reading the wrong folder which had nothing in it so the mod didnt run, flatlander told me to remove it and i did and it magicaly started working haha

computer specs: ASUS,Win7 x64, AMD Phenom II X6 1035T Processor, ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series, 2600 Mhz, 6 Cores, 6 Logical Processors, 8 Gig RAM, 1 Terabyte Memory, I am a happy child
The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2012 14:00
@flaming chainsaw
Well, that would've been the last thing I'd expect lol.
Glad it's working for you.

-TZK

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2012 09:56
The download button is a link to a zip file that contains the FPI EditPad list and definitions of the RPGmod commands including setup commands. This is probably not complete but it is very close I'm sure. Also, the definitions may not be as detailed as the documentation but it gives you an idea for sure and you can always
look up the command in the documentation.

We must thank Pirate Myke for putting this together. I'm sure it was boring, mundane work and I'm not even sure he even uses RPGmod.

Be sure and make a copy of your four original files before copying these files over them. They go into the FPI EditPad folder where-ever that might be on your hard drive.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Pirate Myke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2012 18:37
Thanks Flatlander, 2 Computer screens full of open documents, to complete. But now the majority is finished and can be refined as people find errors or new definitions that explain better.

No I do not use RPG mod as of yet, but looks like a bunch of great features.

Thanks Flatlander for creating this mod in the first place, and Ched 80 for going thru all the conditions and actions to produce the manual.

If you find any errors or better descriptions Please post them so we can get them into the files.

elbow
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Pirate Myke

Your hard work is much appreciated.

Regards

Eugene
elbow
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Pirate Myke

Only 47k - but hours and hours of work, I bet. Your hard work is much appreciated.

Regards

Eugene
Pirate Myke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2012 06:19
Your welcome.

Probably around 18 hours of work spread out over a few days. Going through each command to be sure that the description comes up and is formated in a decent way takes the most time.

Anyway enjoy.

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2012 21:31
Pirate Myke - Thank you very much for this!

RPGmod scripts will now be SO much easier to write!

Hulkman508
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2012 06:55
Alright, I have followed the instructions correclty so far. I downloaded the .dlls from some websites, used the instructions from the flatlanders page and encountered a test game error. I then downloaded the fix from the zombie killer page and it has made no difference. I'm keen to use this mod, so does anyone know what's gone wrong for me?

(I'm using windows 7, 32 bit, have been running as admin)

"Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege. "
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2012 07:07
What does the error message say and when does it crash?

Hulkman508
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2012 09:18
It crashes after I click test game, then it tells me fps creator has encountered a problem and has to close.

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2012 12:39
Hulkman, is there any text contained within the log.txt file located here: ...\FPS Creator\Files\RPG_Mod\

If there is, can you post what it says? This may help us find out what the problem is.

Ched

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2012 02:23 Edited at: 28th May 2012 03:07
Quote: "It crashes after I click test game, "

Quote: "Hulkman, is there any text contained within the log.txt file located here"

Ahhh, Ched must have added some debug code.

Anyway, I didn't explain myself very well. Did it crash before "test game engine started" was displayed or after?

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2012 04:27 Edited at: 30th May 2012 06:35
Never mind. I guess I won't have any more updates available for RPGMod. Ched80 will be the one who is 100% responsible for the updates. I'm getting really tired -- literally -- of coding. I never thought I would ever see the day. Confusion reigns.

Hulkman508
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2012 07:13
Sorry for slow reply, but I checked and there is nothing in log.txt. Is this meant to contain something? It crashed after the test game engine started text appeared as well.

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2012 07:27
@Hulkman,

Yes. At the very least the file should say:
Quote: " RPGmod v5.51 - FPSC v1.19 r603 - Update: 18 Mar 2012"

If RPGmod failed to find or load any of the setup fpi's then this would be logged too.

PS, I know the wrong version of v119 is stated, it should say r613.

@Flatlander, I think the apparent lack of interest may be down to the sheer number of commands in RPGmod. Peopl may be getting overwhelmed and not getting around to using everything yet - I have a similar problem with the new command set for v119.

What may help is if I put a features list in the OP and the UM. I've already started drawing one up and I'll post it just after the Queen's jubilee.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2012 14:49 Edited at: 29th May 2012 14:58
@Ched80, shouldn't the file name be rpg_log.txt instead of log.txt? Unless you changed the name in your code. Just saying since that is what I continue to use.

So, when is the Queen's jubilee? Maybe I'll help celebrate. Actually not joking. Might have a few friends and family over. I'll look it up so if you don't answer that's OK.

Addendum:

Just looked it up. It is a "special" Diamond Jubilee. You get an extra bank Holiday (Tuesday as well as Monday) to have a 4 day weekend. Cool. Since it is Tuesday of next week, we'll invite some over on the following Saturday. Any excuse to have a party.

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2012 15:01
Hey Terry,
I'll double check the file name on the way home.

The juniper is on 5th June we're having a street party!

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2012 15:07
Quote: "we're having a street party!"

If I had enough time for preparation I'd do the same. We live on a cul-de-sac or street that is closed at one end. We live on the circle part of the street or end part. The neighborhood always has a big 4th of July celebration within this circle since there is no traffic. Very convenient for street parties wouldn't you say?

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2012 06:30
@Hulkman

The log file you need to check is rpg_log.txt. It is found in the main FPSC folder where the game engine resides.

Take a look at it and give us a quote as to what it says. Thanks

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2012 00:17 Edited at: 19th Jun 2012 22:43
Hi all,

Just to announce that v5.52 is now ready for download here.

No new RPGmod features this time, but this version incorporates the latest v120 code. The last v118 and v119 versions will remain available vis the OP to aid with debugging should you discover a bug with this version.

Enjoy!

Your signature has been erased by a mod please reduce it to no larger than 600 x 120.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
elbow
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for your hard work on the Mod, Ched
Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2012 19:49
Cheers elbow,

Just a note that I've added a features list to the OP as i noticed the odd post saying that people didn't know what features RPGmod brought to the table. So now they'll know!

I'm also working on v5.53 at the moment which should be ready by June 12th. I'm adding a hunger/dehydration feature as well as some additional commands relating to character targeting. and a slight mod to HUDtext.

What this space.

Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2012 10:38
RPG mod looks like it has some great features. Do the standard FPI commands work too, like dimvar and so on? Or are you forced to completely use RPG Mods commands?

Official LightStorm Engine BETA Tester
/?m=forum_view&t=190541&b=21
Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2012 11:21
Hi Marc,

Yes all of the v120 commands, like dimvar, work in parallel with the RPGmod commands.

I've tailored some of the v120 commands to increase their functionality such as huduservar and hudmake, but vanilla scripts will work perfectly well with RPGmod.

Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2012 11:50
Okay great

Quote: "Saveable Levels so that environments do not reset when revisited by the player."

Do this mean that items you picked up in one level, when you reload it, won't appear again when the level is revisited? What else does this feature do? It sounds interesting.

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2012 12:32
Marc,

The feature is just an extension of the vanilla save/load feature so that you can load up a specific save corresponding to the level being loaded.

In that sense the feature will have the same save/load problems concerning variables that you posted in the v120 thread. What this feature will do is prevent 'dead' or collected entities from re-appearing.

There is a separate load/save routine capturing RPGmod data so that your inventory status, quest status, etc. is maintained.

Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2012 16:03 Edited at: 10th Jun 2012 17:35
Quote: "In that sense the feature will have the same save/load problems concerning variables that you posted in the v120 thread. "

True, but surely when the player enters a save game zone, I could write all variables I want saved to a text file, which when the game is reloaded, can be read from and then have the variable values set to those values?

EDIT: Also, is it possible to read/write custom values to the setup.ini?

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2012 18:44 Edited at: 10th Jun 2012 18:45
The initial vanilla variables are saved and loaded (I don't see how that is broken) as are the RPGmod variables. That code could not have been broken by any of the updates. Would you be able to use either of those systems, instead of whatever variables you are using now that are not being saved?

Quote: "I could write all variables I want saved to a text file, which when the game is reloaded, can be read from "

There is no code that will read the text file. This feature was mainly created to be used by teachers to write certain information to files so that they can review them later concerning the student. Also, it could be used so that the player can perhaps gain information about the game for later use.

As mentioned, the RPGmod variables are working fine.

Quote: "EDIT: Also, is it possible to read/write custom values to the setup.ini?"

Not at the present. That would have to be another feature added to the code. It can easily be done but the complexity would be making sure that the changes are made to the current level. Right now the current setup variables (flags) are read into FPSC when the map editor is loaded. The setup info is then saved upon building a stand-alone game but no changes can ever be made during game play unless there is a modification to allow for that. I am not sure, at this time, what complications might present itself, especially with lighting and quality of textures.

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2012 18:57
Just to expand on Terry's answer; RPGmod does provide an extension to thE GUIx9 commands so that custom setup.ini variables can be read and used in-game.
You would need to use the stock GUIx9 commands to setup your custom setup.ini variables, but you can then set your global/local variable to equal the setup.ini variable by prefixing your setup.ini variable with %.

Setvar=KeysCollected %KeysSVar

Obviously changing things like screen resolution and texture quality mid game will have zero effect.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2012 06:01
A good healthy expansion. Unlike the expansion of my girth.

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2012 07:44
Hi all,

Just to announce that v5.53 is now ready for download here.

NEW FEATURES
r674 incorporated, updating RPGmod with the latest release of v120, see v120 release thread for details.

Hunger and Dehydration Elements added.
On their own, the hunger and dehydration elements don't do anything. They are simply variables that automatically increment by a set value every second.

Script Conditions
"plrhungergreater=X" - True if player's hunger level is greater than X.
"plrhungerless=X" - True if player's hunger level is less than X.
"plrdehydrationgreater=X" - True if player's dehydration level is greater than X.
"plrdehydrationless=X" - True if player's dehydration level is less than X.

Script Actions
"plrhungeron=X" - Set X=1 to switch hunger ON, X=0 switches it OFF.
"plrhungerrate=X" - Sets the rate at which the player's hunger level increases at X/s.
"plrsethunger=X" - Sets the player's hunger level to X.
"plrsubhunger=X" - Reduces the player's hunger level by X.
"plrdehydrationon=X" - Set X=1 to switch dehydration ON, X=0 switches it OFF.
"plrdehydrationrate=X" - Sets the rate at which the player's dehydration level increases at X/s.
"plrsetdehydration=X" - Sets the player's dehydration level to X.
"plrsubdehydration=X" - Reduces the player's dehydration level by X.

Additional targeting and tracking commands added.
In order to improve the non Dark AI movement and targeting commands, I've introduced a few new commands.
I must point out that the DAI is an amazing command set and these commands are in no way meant to replace or even replicate what is possible with DAI, they are
simply commands that I have wanted for non DAI character commanding.

Script Conditions
"targetdistwithin=X" - True if the entity's target is within X units.
"targetdistfurther=X" - True if the entity's target is further than X units.

Script Commands
"setifusedastarget" - Sets the entity to target the entity named within it's If Used parameter.
"clearplrtrail" - Resets the player's breadcrumb trail.

Updated HUDtext so that text uses hudred, hudgreen and hudblue values.

maho76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2012 16:56
Quote: "Script Conditions
"targetdistwithin=X" - True if the entity's target is within X units.
"targetdistfurther=X" - True if the entity's target is further than X units.

Script Commands
"setifusedastarget" - Sets the entity to target the entity named within it's If Used parameter.
"

VERY cool for playing with DarkAI-buddies ... or orbiting satelites.

time to get a real look into this, was the first option with v119-mods after wasp, but i still dont know where my project should move to. rpg-kind of games sounds the most interesting.

thanks, chris.

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2012 21:56
Cheers Maik,
I must confess, these commands came out of my frustrations when writing your scripts

So are you considering moving HABITAT to RPGmod?

brethren
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2012 09:02
Hey, I know it would be a lot of work, but I would love to see a vid of RPGmod, showing off all (or nearly all) of it's very cool capabilities. Any chance of that?
maho76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2012 14:34
Quote: "So are you considering moving HABITAT to RPGmod?"

i wanted to wait until pb/apex is up to date with v119, but depends mainly on the features/commands they bring. i dont need the additional var-system for habitat, nor do i need most of the other things rpg-delivers, but when i tested possibilities of v119/v120 enough, i have thought of implementing rpg-mod (and even if its just 1 command usefull, doesnt matter as long as i dont get more lags than with vanilla), if not completely doing the game as an adventure with massfights in later chapters.

i havent invested time to go through the mods in detail, but if it would help to get the satelite-scripts done and rpg-mod dont eat frames or brings problems in buildgame, i am in. lets say: i dont see any mod around that would bring more power resulting in more enemies atm, so why not going deeper into adventure?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 06:43:08
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 06:43:08