Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / RPG Mod Official Thread

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
So where do I place this script? I tried it in a triggerzone, and nothing happened. Does it need to be attached to a dynamic entity to work?

Why does life suck the life out of you?
Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2012 07:29
It goes into a trigger zone - you need to wait about 30 seconds and then either the motion blur post process effect will switch on or the camera wobble will get really big - or both.

You then need to eat and drink enough (the use2eat.fpi and use2drink.fpi files) to switch these effects off. This is just a test script so you'd need to change the values and effect to use them in a game, otherwise they will become annoying.

You need post processing switched on in the FPSC setup.ini.

SecretiveOps
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, I always have post processing on, being the visuals nerd that I am. Lghtmapping all the way up, post processing on 1 or 2 all the time, and that sort of jazz. I'm just surprised that I'm still blurry when I hit enter on my food and drink. Almost as if it won't let me use an action on them.

Why does life suck the life out of you?
Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2012 21:27
@SecretiveOps: Have you tried hitting enter several times? I find you have to hit enter enough times to counter act the hunger and thirst. I must stress that the values i used were purely for testing - I would recommend you alter the values in all the scripts to get the effect 'you' want.

Meows
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2012 23:31
Question,
I need to know why Splash.bmp is on the left of the screen

1024x764

and the gameover (lose screen)
1024x768

1024x768
is on the left.
Yet the Win screen is centered.
1024x768

Very perplexing to be sure.
where can I find the setting for these screens please or what is the fix?

Life is a short trip to another world
munkey1409
Years of Service
User Offline
Can anyone explain why in my log its just saying "for category 1 does not exist." and before it said a path first then the error accept "Path [] for category 0 does not exist." which is normal i guess until i fixed all the paths to point to my game folder there doesnt seem to be an fault with it now... mabey its just the exe is not compatible although my DBpro is compiling properly and finishing without an error.

Any Help Appreciated...
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2012 14:55 Edited at: 16th Aug 2012 15:01
EDIT
Nevermind.

Image is corrupted.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code . . . reminds me….. if I had one more brain cell, I could have a synapse! woo hoo, Sparky!

~I'm the Terry of the Flatlands.
munkey1409
Years of Service
User Offline
I think i've set it up right but the images dont work what format do they need to be within the PNG, i set it to cattype=2 and it works and even displays the images so if its the image is corrupt how does it display them at all with cattype=2, it just says no inventory items defined but i checked the manual and it appears to be correct, mabey ill just use text and remove all the images, also i now noticed i cant get any dialogs to appear either, is that likely to be an image problem too.
munkey1409
Years of Service
User Offline
Also when you put the cattype=2 the items give the error items dont exist for category, accept on category 4 where it works. And how do you make the inventory exit?
Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2012 14:31
Sorry to hear you're having trouble.

Can you post or email me your scripts?

munkey1409
Years of Service
User Offline
Here are the scripts...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2012 18:49
Small update to demo the current status of the new third person support.

The player character can now pick up weapons (and activate the normal weapon HUDs) and ammo and any other object that uses playertake.

Still some bugs with the muzzle flash and also the VWEAP.x is not positioned on the character, but these will be fixed before the next version is released.

soit
Years of Service
User Offline
When ever i test my level the game stops responding.. how do i fix that?

whatever
soit
Years of Service
User Offline
can you make a video tutorial how to install the mod I dont think i did it right(i followed the manual)

whatever
soit
Years of Service
User Offline
I install the latest beta and I installed the mod according to the manual instructions and when i test the game it crashes.

whatever
Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2012 07:44
Guys, sorry to hear you're having problems.

@munkey - i'll check your scripts and get back to you.

@soit - i'm planning on making a walk-through vid for the installation this weekend. i'll re-post when it's uploaded.

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2012 12:53
Much over due: Video on how to install the mod:

HOW TO INSTALL RPGmod

Dragon slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2012 23:22
OK I installed the RPG MOD and it works and does not crash. I do get a popup about unsigned program and do I want to run it so I do. I made a small room 5X5 segments, sifi control room and nothing else. I build and go walk around and I can walk but it is kind of choppy and I move very slow.

Anyone have any ideas on this? I admit my system isn't the greatest but un-modded FPSC works fine even with a lot of stuff in the level.

How do I un-install it if I want to or do I have to re-install and re-upgrade?
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2012 23:33 Edited at: 26th Aug 2012 23:38
@ Dragon Slayer

Quote: "How do I un-install it if I want to or do I have to re-install and re-upgrade? "

Unless RPG Mod has changed from the version we have (v3.x), all you need to do is replace the file FPSC-Game.exe for RPG Mod with the FPSC-Game.exe from the original installation of FPS Creator. If you do not have a backup of your original FPSC-Game.exe for the version of FPSC you use, then you just need to run the version update. Of course, you will not be able to use any of the mod's scripting conditions/actions, so you may have to edit scripts and such.

Twitter: @NFoxMedia
Dragon slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2012 00:18
I think I have the latest version, 5.51 I just installed it and just made a room to check out how things would run and it is very slow. I have a backup of the Game .exe and have not done any scripting or setting conditions and actions yet.

I don't really want to uninstall it, I want to work with it but it is one very small room with nothing in it and when I move around it is kind of choppy and my movements are very slow so is there any way to fix this?
Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2012 09:37
Dragon Slayer, v5.53 is the latest version which is based on v120. Can you try this version? Can you also post your system specs?

the man with a name
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2012 21:48
question if you install this does it disable any fpsc features and can it be uninstalled easily. thanks
JBoy77
Years of Service
User Offline
Location: The dark path to righteousness is where you'll find me...
Posted: 30th Aug 2012 00:44
Where is the line in the rpg_setup file where you put your inventory background? I have found two possibilities, but when I go into test-game and press "I" after typing in the correct image path, nothing comes up.
gerudoking
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2012 01:47 Edited at: 31st Aug 2012 21:37
Hey people,I'm quite a noob at fpi,and I am having dificulties at make
an item.
I have done everything pretty well,had read the user manual and etc. but I dont know to make the player pickup the item. I tried to put a item in the ground of the level and put a new .fpi file as it's main code, as I don't think I should put the setup file as the main.
But the problem is that I don't know what I have to put inside this new .fpi!
And another problem: I can't enter the inventory in the game! I press I and nothing happens...
Anyone there willing to help me?
Meows
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2012 00:22
Quote: "gerudoking: Hey people,I'm quite a noob at fpi,and I am having dificulties at make
an item."
Quote: "Anyone there willing to help me? "

You bet, Go here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWBKXIAHwTM&feature=plcp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWBKXIAHwTM&feature=plcp
to rvanner utube videos.
there are hundreds of them, and they will teach you just about everything about FPSC

Scripting go to BlackFox's thread.Script Information
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=192148&b=23
Lots of working example scripts.

Good reading.

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2012 21:16
I've finally got around to releasing an update:here.

v5.54 incorporating r694 see the v120 release thread for details.

Small optimisation tweeks to improve FPS (removal of large number of redundant abs() commands)

New targeting and team script commands (start of LAI [Light A.I.])

targetnearestcharacter=MaxDistance - sets the entity to target the nearest enemy character, but ignores any friendly characters or characters further than MaxDistance. Could be used for auto sentry guns for example.

targetpickobject=AngleValue - sets the entity to target the object in the center of the screen ±AngleValue.

hastarget=X - is true if the entity has a target and X=1 or if the entity does not have a target and X=0.

onteam=TeamID - makes the character a member of TeamID. TeamID can be 0 - 20.

setteamallies=TeamID AllyTeam1-AllyTeam2-AllyTeamX... - sets which teams TeamID is allied with.

setteamenemies=TeamID AllyTeam1-AllyTeam2-AllyTeamX... - sets which teams are enemies of TeamID.

Start of Genuine 3rd person control (far more stable than scripted 3PS control)

Creation of tps_cam=Distance Rotation:
- Distance distance from the entity along the line of sight of the entity.
- Rotation offset applied to the camera's clockwise rotation around the y-axis (vertical) of the entity.
This is used to move the entity so that the entity is offset from the center of the screen.

Quote: ":state=0:tps_cam=50 15"

This would position the camera about 48 [50xcos(15)] units back from the entity and about 13 [50xsin(15)] units to the left.

These offsets will be maintained as the entity rotates and moves about the level.

Modified playertake command that enables 3PS character entity to pickup items and weapons.

3PS characters cannot currently jump, swim or use melee weapons, but I hope to rectify this in the future. The character should be able to pickup weapons (including those dropped by enemies) and ammo and be able to switch between weapons.

SpaceWurm
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 1st Oct 2012 23:36
Nice Ched80!!!! Niiiiccce!! Really keen to try out the LAI commands. I'll be using RPGMod in a new game I'm busy with.

Thanks for the amount of effort that you're putting into this.

Artrift.com - Digital Art Community | MyPixelbox.net - My Creative Blog
munkey1409
Years of Service
User Offline
can anyone tell me whats wrong with this script or if its just rpg mod commands dont work, does it have to be perfect before any messages popup at all?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2012 19:06
Two mistakes:

;make sure the character cannot be harmed.
:state=0,plydistfurther=400:animate=1

Should be:

:state=0,plrdistfurther=400:animate=1

This next line will never go to state #60

:state=0,rotatetoplr,rpg_entitynoharm=1,state=60

There needs to be a colon after :state=0

Should be

:state=0:rotatetoplr,rpg_entitynoharm=1,state=60

Now, another problem with syntax.

:state=60:plrdistwithin=125:rpg_talkbox=1,state=62

There needs to be a comma after :state=60 instead of a colon

:state=60,plrdistwithin=125:rpg_talkbox=1,state=62

And another problem with syntax.

:state=64:plrdistfurther=125:state=60

Again, there needs to be a comma after :state=64

:state=64,plrdistfurther=125:state=60

There are more than two colons in state=100

:state=100:rpg_talkbox=1:state=70

and there needs to be a comma after rpg_talkbox=1

:state=100:rpg_talkbox=1,state=70

So, yes, it does have to be perfect.

I assume you do not know much about scripting. Two things you should do. One use FPI EditPad. It checks syntax and looks for bad commands for either a condition or action.

The second. Learn at least the basics of FPI scripting.

I can assure you the commands work. However, there are also some tweaking that sometimes needs to be done with the script. Especially the use of etimers. Also, there are some more coding errors starting with the second "State=82".

The past has a lot of memories to hold onto; but, today is chock full of new adventures, and, the future shouts out, "The best is yet to come!" -- TerryC
Dragon slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2012 22:46
I would really like to use this mod but had a problem and deleted it. I set it up and used a 5x5 segment room and when I moved it was very slow and choppy. Has anyone had this happen and if so what do you do to fix it?

I am working on a laptop and will be the first to admit it is on the very, very low end of just average but un-modded FPSC works just fine.

This laptop is a sony vaio intel pentium duel cpu T2330 1.6 GH 1 GB memory 32 bit vista and mobile intel 965 express chipset, I am guessing this is graphics. I didn't buy this piece of crap my wife did and I ended up with it when she got one of those little netbooks.

Also I would like to know what the website is for RPG Mod? I lost track of it somehow and can't find it.

Dagonslayer
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2012 01:22
I notice this has a quiz function, potentially you could make a skill with prizes arcade machine, Im sure I remember the format was a spreadsheet for the questions of the SWP machines leased to pubs in the UK, how is it done with this, how are the questions formated?

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2012 01:49 Edited at: 14th Oct 2012 01:59
Quote: "Also I would like to know what the website is for RPG Mod?"

I don't have the website any more. Nobody was really interested.

Dragon slayer, what version are you using now? Vanilla FPSC?

Fallen one, I don't know about the SWP machines. However RPGmod follows an FPI script format.

The following is an example. The setup commands should make it self explanatory. The numbers that are used for arrays need to be accurate. For example: rpg_quizmaxnumber=2. This tells the engine that there are a total of two quizzes. Of course, if you have any specific questions, I'll try to help. This setup goes into the "rpg_clues_setup.fpi" file.

The following shows a real life game setup. Thanks to elbow. However, I haven't asked him yet if I could use it so it might disappear shortly.

Sorry, if you didn't want me to post your example in of your levels.

It includes the text styles for the quiz and indicates the setup of showing the grades for the player.

The past has a lot of memories to hold onto; but, today is chock full of new adventures, and, the future shouts out, "The best is yet to come!" -- TerryC
Dragon slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2012 02:00
Flatlander

I am using V 1.19 I guess you would call it vanilla, unmodded nothing added or taken away from it.

Dragonslayer
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2012 05:09 Edited at: 14th Oct 2012 05:11
Have you tried using this version of RPGmod? It is specifically for FPSC v119. Of course, it doesn't have all the newer features. If you want the newer features then you will have to upgrade your FPSC version to v1.20 beta 3 or 4.

I really can't understand why some computers can't handle the development of RPGmod. Especially causing a slow down of FPS during testing. I have never had this problem. If I did I would have ended the development of the mod. I mean I spent (full time) a year developing this mod. If I knew it wasn't going to work for me, I would have stopped working on it. :LOL:

Dragon slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2012 05:46
That is the version I have. I may try the 1.20 and the RPG upgrade for it. From your post it sounds like you have run into this before.
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2012 07:32
I would download v1.20 beta 3 rather than beta 4. In my own RPG Mod that I use I have the mod itself updated to beta 4 however, I find that using beta 4 install, something is causing weird things to happen in the test game and I would assume the stand-alone as well. For one thing the characters are larger than the player. The player point at object is not working as well. Since my personal mod incorporates all of the beta 4 engine I just use the beta 3 install. They do not allow downloading any of the previous beta installs so I have beta 3 available here.

The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2012 07:49 Edited at: 14th Oct 2012 07:50
@Flatlander
I guess they'd be larger because I think SC removed "scale=80" from their .fpe files, so now they are the same size as the player. You can re-add it to the fpe to restore that though, or you could put scale=80 into their appear scripts.

EDIT: You can still download the old betas, but you have to manually copy the links into your browser.

-TZK

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2012 09:45
TZK, now that would make sense. Thanks. You see I've always adjusted my characters. Sometimes I want them larger and then sometimes I want them smaller. Custom characters can be all over the place as far as size goes.

Quote: "EDIT: You can still download the old betas, but you have to manually copy the links into your browser."

I didn't mean you could not absolutely download them. It's just that the link is deleted in the first post to make way for the newest beta.

Speaking of Australia -- for the first time - and just today - I saw pictures of baby koalas. I know all babies are cute but darn those baby koalas are the cutest little things. :SMILE:

The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2012 09:50 Edited at: 14th Oct 2012 09:52
@Flatlander
Quote: "Speaking of Australia -- for the first time - and just today - I saw pictures of baby koalas. I know all babies are cute but darn those baby koalas are the cutest little things. :SMILE:"

Yeah, they're cute little creatures , we've seen them around once in a while walking through our street and climbing up the trees.

-TZK

elbow
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all

"I haven't asked him yet if I could use it"

I am honoured that Flatlander used one of my scripts as example here on the thread. As many of you know, I have been using this Mod now for over... a very long time. It's an amazing mod and it makes FPS immensely multi-dimensional as a game engine.

I have used talkboxes, audiotalkboxes, quizzes, hints, clues, immediate objectives, question talk boxes and entity messages with success in my game. I plan to use the inventory system (used it before with success), generic selection, passwords and (maybe) quests to complete the game.

I do not rate myself good enough to be able to really help people, but Flatlander and Ched80 are brilliant at that. And I am thankful that they're there for us.

Regards

Eugene
A dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2012 22:52
Quote: "For one thing the characters are larger than the player."

Maybe the player is a small guy in the game.
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2012 05:23 Edited at: 15th Oct 2012 05:23
ched80, sent you an email from your web email form about some scripting work.

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2012 19:55
Hi Fallen One - didn't see anything in my inbox, but I've been in NYC since the 12th. Back home now; can you re-email me?

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2012 00:39
Hi Ched80, I re sent it to your email in your tag button, the first one I sent through your web form, at least I think its your web form,
http://unleashfps.webs.com/contactus.htm
perhaps I didn't do it right. Ive had a little trouble getting a hold of another member on here, wolf, perhaps everyone is away or my mails are going haywire.

Meows
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2012 07:33 Edited at: 19th Oct 2012 07:37
I tried google but could not find the answer.
Please if you know.
If you are NOT Encrpting setup files. How do you set up a new game?

here is where I get confused. The Manual only shows sample_game_folder as the game folder in the rpg.ini, so when I make a new folder when I start a new game ( Folder= Game1 )
and then save the first level as 1 in the Game1 Folder do I just enter 1 like this?
[working game folder name]
[ed]

Hummm, after rereading this post it looks like I need to do it like
this.
[working game folder name]
Game1
[ed]

Is this correct?

PS Isn't my oldest grand daughter just a pretty princess?
I'ts her school picture I used as a Avator.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2012 21:28 Edited at: 19th Oct 2012 21:29
See 1.2 Installing RPGmod to learn more about the rpg.ini file. It is found within the RPG Mod- User Manual_v5.01.pdf

You can download this manual from the first post using the download link button.

You probably could use "1" and subsequently "2," "3," and ect. However, this would be the game folder and of course not the level number.

I believe you might already be on the right track - and yes, using "0" will not encrypt the setup files. Of course, "ed" means encrypted data.

Meows
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2012 04:34
Thank you FLATLANDER..

I was in hopes of being able to learn from
RPG Mod Demo Teasers
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=166940&b=21
but all the samples are dead links.

Trying to get a working sample to see where you put the rpg_clues_setup.fpi
rpg_setup.fpi
rpg_text_setup.fpi
Do they go in a Trigger?

I was looking for the repairman sample where a guy fixes the phone.
It was clean and easy to understand. The ones in the User Manual are great, but they do not tell you Where the code goes, a Enities or a trigger.
Example::
2.1 Initial Setup Values
In addition to modifying the setup.ini file produced when an FPSC game is built, RPGmod enables the developer to customise various aspects of their game by using a single line within the rpg_setup.fpi script file.
However i do not know where this rpg_setup.fpi goes.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2012 09:04
Quote: "However i do not know where this rpg_setup.fpi goes."

Please go to the first post and watch the tutorial on how to install. It talks about all the setup files there plus the other files that you might use with RPG Mod. Or you can download the tutorial here and watch it at your leisure.

As far as the sample if I can find it I'll make it available. If I can't find it I will have to put something together that might make sense to you.

Meows
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2012 11:32
I did the install exactally as the Tutorial said to do.
And it works fine. I need the tutorial on HOW to use the RPG mod.

Example I downloaded all the pdf tut's. and tried the
immediate objective
:state=0:rpg_iotextr=65,rpg_iotextb=65,rpg_iotextg=175, _
rpg_ioimagex=10,rpg_ioimagey=10,rpg_ioimagescale=100, _
rpg_iotextx=220,rpg_iotexty=12.5,rpg_iotextsize=20, _
rpg_iotextfont=verdana,rpg_iotext=0 Find and pick up briefcase

so I put it in a immediate objective.fpi file and then put a trigger in a room made the MAIN immediate objective.fpi and it did not trigger.

Apparently I do not understand how to use it.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2012 15:22 Edited at: 20th Oct 2012 15:25
It works for me. You do have to know how to script. The underscores shouldn't be a part of the script - or spaces after the comma. If you simply copied and pasted from the example to the script then it will not work. You either need to do it this way:

Or this way:

The Immediate Objective should stay on until you tell it to turn off.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 20:30:45
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 20:30:45