Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Android / Android Player

Author
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2011 16:53
A beta version of the Android Player for Tier 1 is now available for you to download. You can find this download in your order history.
Pawprints
Years of Service
User Offline
Very cool news.

On my galaxy S1 phone I just get a white screen (no text) which rotates if I tilt the camera. I just ran the installer from an external SD card (the APK file) and it did seem to install ok. Maybe it just needs a little tweaking to support the S1 phones. I can't wait to see code running on my phone..

If it's not broken don't keep trying to fix it.
Impetus73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2011 17:25 Edited at: 11th Oct 2011 18:14
Tried it on 3 devices, no go...

Galaxy tab classic -> App crashed

Galaxy tab 10.2 -> White screen, short flash when broadcasting, then nothing

S II -> same as 10.2

----------------
AGK user - novice
Did Amiga / AMOS programming in the 90's, just started programming again with AGK.
BraindeaD
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Mike,
It doesn't work for me. I'm using a Samsung galaxy tab with 2.2 firm... is this the problem or I'm overlooking something?
Thanks in advance
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2011 17:36
I've uploaded a new version that creates missing directories, let me know if that fixes it.
Pawprints
Years of Service
User Offline
I know I've said this already on FB but the player now runs although the orientation is wrong and the agk player starts upside and the horizontal orientation (when playing the game) is forced to vertical so the game runs in a very tall thin window. But .... the colours look lovely on the galaxy s1 and if the speed remains the same it's going to be amazing

DArt_LV
Years of Service
User Offline
Crashed on Samsung Galaxy Mini - Application AppGameKit Player (process com.example.android_player) was unexpectedly suspended <-- Error was writen in another language(Latvian), so there can be some mistakes when I transleted it to English.
P.S Firmware is 2.2 Froyo, should I update it to 2.3 Gingerbread ?
Impetus73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2011 18:33
Your getting there!

I got the new version to work on the Galaxy Tab 10.2, but no music, alot of graphics errors, and slow.

Still not working on tab classic, or S II.

On Galaxy Tab 10.1:

Sprites are not transparent, even if Loadimage("test.png",1) is used.

Large images does not appear.

No sound (wav)

Font all corrupted. (Using the AppGameKit font pack 3 font: "Permanent Marker"

----------------
AGK user - novice
Did Amiga / AMOS programming in the 90's, just started programming again with AGK.
Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2011 19:18
I'd love to put this on my Droid! But it's for 2.3, right? Mine is 2.2

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2011 19:22
Err, sorry for being ignorant but how do I use it for my phone?

I reject your reality and substitute my own...
XanthorXIII
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Woot new phone to test this on. Galaxy S II Epic.
Glad I just got that phone.
Pawprints
Years of Service
User Offline
To install the player on my phone I plugged my galaxy S into the PC and then browsed the folders. I copied the apk file to a location I can find on the phone (in my case the external SD card). Use file browser on your phone to locate to the APK file and select it. It should now install like any other app

Impetus73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2011 19:38
Just copy the file to your phone, open "my files" and click it to install, run it, and it will wait for you to press ctrl+F4 in the AppGameKit editor, and voila! your game is running on your mobile!

----------------
AGK user - novice
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2011 19:40
Thanks!

Hubdule
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2011 20:10
Tested on HTC Desire HD. Player starts and waits for broadcast. Can'te receive anything and the whole screen is rotated wrong. It's completely upside down. If you hold it up the player us upside down.

So the app is working -> AppGameKit player screen as usual but that's it

It runs on Android 2.3.3 with HTC Sense 2.1 Kernel Version: 2.6.35.10-gd2456fb
htc-kernel@and18-2 #1

If you need more info just let me know

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2011 20:27
I have the same issues as Hubdule. Can't receive any apps and the standby screen is upside down. I've tried setting the phone to wifi only and disabling all of my other connected devices. No dice

Running on Droid 3/Android 2.3.4.

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2011 20:48
I can't even download it...

'The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found'

Anyone else experiencing this?
Pawprints
Years of Service
User Offline
I've found if you force a single orientation

setorientationallowed(0,0,0,1) it's easy to compile your code and play it. This makes your games playable although accellerometer is still read upside down which is expected. I did think adding or taking away 180 might fix this but it didn't seem to (but this will be fixed soon I'm sure). You also need to force the width and height manually (in my case 800x480) as this fixes the other issue where the screen ends up as being read as portrait.

Apart from the text being white on white, everything seems to run at a good speed. Oh and ps. this is very cool oh and controls seem more responcive for some odd reason.

Deion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2011 21:43 Edited at: 11th Oct 2011 21:43
is tier 2 libs close? can i get in on testing that bad boy

Cheers,
Deion G.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2011 22:37
Ok so it looks like my device has weird ideas on which way is up, so I've uploaded a new version that should work for the rest of you guys but I can't test it here. Can you let me know if a) it is now the right way up, and b) if the accelerometer example moves the sprite in the correct direction.

I've also attempted to fix the transparency issue by forcing 8 bit alpha in the OpenGL context creation.

Not sure what's causing the broadcast problems, can you broadcast to other non-android devices? If not, or if you don't have any to test can you check if you have more than one network adaptor in Windows? Some people found that they had to disable other network adaptors to force the app broadcast to go out on the correct adaptor.
Nokiaqd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2011 22:52 Edited at: 12th Oct 2011 00:37
hi. cool yeeess....
test on 2 device
se x10 2.3.3 run ok - no test cbroadcast yet.
se Xperia neo - in the upside down as not to turn, main project run perfect =) cbroadcast - ok

badablog.ru - bada developer
Hubdule
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2011 22:59
Tested the new version on my HTC Desire HD again. Here're the results:

AGP Player runs still upside down and broadcast doesn't work.

I tested the game on the following platforms where broadcasting works perfectly:

Windows, Mac, IPod touch (2nd gen), IPad 1

The bada player crashes on 100% (send project to Lee already)
The MeeGo player doesn't even start (send info to Lee and uploaded a video what it does to the forum)

If you need more information just let me know.

Pawprints
Years of Service
User Offline
The player still seems to be upside down for me too and if I hold it horizontally (my game is horizontal) the screen dimensions are back to front so it's a tiny portrain screen on a horizontal screen.

Impetus73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2011 23:26
Hmm... new version will not install on my Galaxy Tab 10.2

"There is a problem with the analyzing of the packet"
(Translated from Norwegian)

Why do you not have a bunch of Android devices at your disposal for testing Paul? you should send Lee shopping

----------------
AGK user - novice
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2011 23:28
I've having trouble getting my head around the orientation problem so I've uploaded a new version that is upside down on my device, in theory it should now be the right way up on everyone else's, at least in portrait mode anyway.

So that I can get more information on this can everyone download the latest version and then run the following tier 1 code

And let me know the rough values for each orientation (only need positive or negative), for example:

Portrait: Y +ve
Turned left: X -ve
Upside down: Y -ve
Turned left again: X +ve
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2011 23:41 Edited at: 11th Oct 2011 23:42
It keeps crashing on my Android GT-S5830 (Galaxy I), every time I run the player is say's it has stopped unexpectedly and I'm forced to close it.

Impetus73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2011 23:46
Downloading now... really slow today, the TGC site...

I get the error: "Could not play sound file - ID 1" in the "LAST ERROR" screen, after i close the game.

Maybe some folder error?

Installed latest and ran your snippet:

Orientation is now correct on Galaxy Tab 10.2

1,0,0,0:

X: tilted away from me = +
X: tilted towards me = -
Y: tilted to the right = -
Y: tilted to the left = +
Z: device face up = +
Z: device face down = -

----------------
AGK user - novice
Deion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2011 23:47
is it just me or is it clear which is the earliest os version it supports, isnt the earliest froyo ? just wondering if some of the problems is that people are testing on earlier os's.

Cheers,
Deion G.
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2011 23:50
Does it not work on 2.2?

SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
Nickydude, that's a common problem when your version of Android is not new enough. Are you running Gingerbread (2.3)? If not, that crash is expected. The newest version of Android most users are on is 2.2, so this will pose a problem for this player which likely requires 2.3 minimum. You'll either need to update your device (which should be available for the G1) or upgrade to a phone/tablet that has 2.3 or supports a firmware update to 2.3.

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2011 23:54
Minimum version is 2.3.1
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2011 23:59
Quote: "Minimum version is 2.3.1"

Quote: "You'll either need to update your device (which should be available for the G1)"

How do I update the OS (as you can see I'm not smartphone savvy)?

SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2011 00:00 Edited at: 12th Oct 2011 00:06
Yes, that'd be the minimum it seems. It will be an issue, unfortunately. Since AppGameKit requires 2.3 minimum, it won't be a very useful tool for the Android platform for possibly a few years due to the market saturation and userbase of 2.2 and older builds of Android. 2.3 just won't be a solid baseline for quite a long time to come (it would be like requiring DirectX 12 for your PC game -now-). Apps can certainly be developed in the meantime though in preparation for more widespread use of 2.3.

I'm sorting through the problem myself at the moment. None of my (3) Android devices have 2.3, all are 2.2, and none have an upgrade path to 2.3 yet. So I'm on the hunt for a new test phone... many of which don't even come with 2.3 either, lol, so the list of options is narrow.

Quote: "How do I update the OS (as you can see I'm not smartphone savvy)?"

You'll need to apply a firmware update, which should be available from the manufacturer. It is a dangerous process that can turn your device into a paperweight, so it's important to read up on the procedure carefully so you'll know what you are doing and reduce the risks.

Impetus73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2011 00:05
Latest version also worked on Galaxy Tab original, BUT there the orientation were wrong. Seems like they changed the orientation stuff in the honeycomb version?

Still no go at the S II. Can not recieve broadcast.

The original Galaxy Tab runs at full FPS, but the 10.2 is at half the FPS. Also standard font is all white squares on the original tab, but ok on the 10.2

----------------
AGK user - novice
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2011 00:08
Quote: "Ok so it looks like my device has weird ideas on which way is up, so I've uploaded a new version that should work for the rest of you guys but I can't test it here. Can you let me know if a) it is now the right way up, and b) if the accelerometer example moves the sprite in the correct direction."

Keep in mind that some android devices have switched default orientation.
I cant remember wath devices right now?
But this whas an well known issue in the badlogic forums where i learned to do some android java programming.

This could be one of the problems?
Pawprints
Years of Service
User Offline
hmm I take it everyone is getting the new version from your accounts page? Re-running orientation is still upside down and it still reads the width and height wrong so landscape is a really thin portrait image.

This is on a galaxy S 1 running 2.3

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
A number of apps show upside down on my Android devices, so this seems to be a common problem in the Android world, and is not an AppGameKit thing.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2011 00:27
Quote: " I take it everyone is getting the new version from your accounts page?"

Yes, that will always be the latest version

Quote: "Re-running orientation is still upside down"

Can you run the code snippet above and let me know what values you get when holding the device in portrait mode and rotating it anti-clockwise?

Quote: " it still reads the width and height wrong so landscape is a really thin portrait image."

This is because the default virtual resolution is a portrait sized screen so the only way to show that in landscape mode is to draw it like that. You can control this in your app by using SetVirtualResolution to some landscape size, such as 800x480 and using SetOrientationAllowed( 0,0,1,1 ) to keep it in landscape mode
Pawprints
Years of Service
User Offline
I can't tell you what the values are on the screen as the print command still gives me a white on white block. I did wonder if the fact I had auto rotation on would effect it but still the same.. I've never ever seen it running the right way up no matter what I do (unless I force only one direction which works).

Is anyone else having text print issues?

Pawprints
Years of Service
User Offline
Interesting...

holding the device vertically.. everything is right now.. AppGameKit logo appears properly etc. Can you flip the horizontal orientations too and I think apart from the text issue it should run perfectly?

Pawprints
Years of Service
User Offline
Actually I can say the rotation is 180 more (or less) than running on an Ipod touch. I just thought they were different because I stupidly forgot to add code circle round if less than 0 or bigger than 360 (my fault) so the values will be 180 rotated clockwise. Sorry my brain wasn't in gear earlier.

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2011 01:15
Another version, this one should fix the text problems. Still not sure what's causing the broadcast problems (is there any firewall app on the device?).

Also flipped the horizontal orientations, let me know what you see now.
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2011 01:53
Orientation is fine on my device now Broadcasting still not working I can broadcast to my ipod and netbook no problem... Are you guys planning on releasing the source for this like you did with the iOS player?

Uechi
Years of Service
User Offline
Installed on my Acer Iconia A500 tablet BUT
I hold tablet in horizontal position but game is vertical position. If I turn the tablet, the image turns. I can't keep up with it. I can never get it where I am looking at it correctly.
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2011 08:36
@ Paul J,

What if I purchase a tablet with a Android 3.1+ Will AppGameKit ultimately work with it?

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
Tone Dialer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2011 09:27
@ Paul J,

Latest version, now working on my Samsung Galaxy S, Android is version 2.3.3.

Orientation is now correct in all directions, text is readable now.

Great to see my game move from the PC to mobile for the first time

Q. Is there any way to replay(restart) a game that has already been broadcast to the device, or do I always have to re-broadcast it?

Hubdule
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2011 10:08
The new player is in the right direction now. But apps still can't be broadcasted to the player on my HTC Desire HD. I installed "Ping&DNS" and pinged the computer where AppGameKit is installed. Works perfectly. Both are on the same network. Windows Firewall (and all others) are disabled. Still no connection. Ping from computer to phone works also. Broadcast to other mobile machines (iOS) work.

Trisect Development
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2011 12:47
Its running just fine on my LG Optimus One with 2.3.3

iOS Apps from Trisect Development.
Click here.
Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2011 13:52
Whoa - we have an Android player! This is the most exciting thing since Christmas! Ordered my Xperia Play last week - as soon as I have it, this will be the first thing I test!

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
http://www.bluestacks.com

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 20:19:54
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 20:19:54