Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / [STICKY] List of Games made with Dark Basic

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2013 01:46 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2014 03:49

Hey guys. Something I've noticed is that while the forum has a photo gallery on the website, that is seldom used and there is no compiled list of the finished games that have been created using Dbpro. I think we should have a thread dedicated to showing off DBPro games. I don't know about anyone else, but it's very inspirational being able to see a completed project on this forum because it can be a great motivation to work on my own projects. I'm hoping to also dispel the many questions I've seen... "Is it possible to complete a game in Dark Basic?" Of course, I think I'm hardly qualified to create this, I don't have many games myself But if this catches on, I believe it will be a great resource for beginners looking for inspiration, old-timers feeling nostalgic, or anyone looking to see what Dark Basic can accomplish... so without further ado:

List of Games created with Dark Basic

FPS

Acrogorpon - Fast paced multiplayer shooter with an old-school feel.
Nox - Stylistic shooter with dark, eery levels and an animated feel.
DoomedCraft - Minecraft clone with expanded gameplay to include weaponry as well as other features.
Dino Hunter - Forum classic, outdoor shooter with prehistoric gameplay.
Where - A surreal first person maze game.
Which - Creepy first person horror from Mike Inel.
Fighting Through Darkness - Short horror game demo, unfinished but has some great jump scares.
Operation Genocide - Out of this world FPS created for the Alienware Competition.
Immortal Guardian 2 - Spooky dark fps!
Revenge - Retro multiplayer FPS much like DOOM.

RPG

Abeyance
Deepfall Dungeon
Malevolence: The Sword of Ahkranox
Magical Gloves
Last Half of Darkness: Society of the Serpent
Dego
Samurai Legends
SoulHunter (DBC)
Lost City of Vampires (DBC)

Shoot 'em up

mono
duo
Gravity Force X
Carnage Game Show
The Last Stand
Jogn McClayman's Planet Defense (DBC)
Room Wars (Alienware Compo)
Raven / Raven II

Fighting
Dark Dragon
Illusion of the Tower

Racing
Cars Incorporated
Future Aero Racing
World Off-Road
RND Sprint
Roswell Racer (Alienware Compo)
Sunday Drivers

Space-Sim
ESF Space Sim
Star Wraith
X-FLIGHT

Action / Classic
New Super Mario World / "Reggie World" - Dbpro platformer much like Mario 64.
Chalk Invaders
Lucky Dog Cribbage
Santa Rush
Volcanic Adventures
The 3d Game (Commodore Remake)
The Last Starfighter Arcade (DBC)
The Little Eggy That Could
Port Apollo
Cow Abductor (Alienware Compo)
3D Bang! Bang!
3D Bang! Bang! 2
Sunday Panzers - Cartoony tank battle simulator!
15 Defense. Underwater Battle - Casual tile-based puzzle / arcade game.
Quazatron (Remake) Remake of the classic Spectrum game Quazatron.

Puzzle
Soup
KickleC
Bombzuka
Packin' Plax

Strategy
Ponycraft: Tainted Skies - Uncompleted pony-themed RTS game.
KKP-Thirty One - Dbpro version of the card game "Thirty-one".

EDIT: Chris Tate has generously provided a companion website which has more detailed descriptions and media for each game. Check it out at http://darkbasicshowcase.binarymodular.com/!

I'm sure someone will comment on this - yes, arguably many games on the list are works-in-progress. What I've deemed "complete" is a game with a playable demo and a thread on the WIP/Program Announcement forums. It's entirely up to the creator of a game whether they consider it finished, so if you post your game I'll add it. And again, I'm hardly one of the more experienced forum users. This is an idea We'll see if it catches on. This is only a start, I know I've forgotten things, or simply not seen them. These games are the ones I know, or saw scanning the boards. Post anything I've missed!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 27th Feb 2013 02:47 Edited at: 27th Feb 2013 02:57
You must have missed the ADG Compo then...

ADG 2nd Anniversary Competition - Open entry

Within which you will find my entry...

Volcanic Adventures

Which has its own website I did not create a WIP as, I am unsure of the direction the project will take yet, and I was waiting to get hold of certain technologies first... so it stayed on the compo page and also the website itself

Also let us not forget this thread:

TGC FORUM User YouTube Videos [unofficial]

Which has a combination of DBPro Projects and other TGC Products too...

You can try out my demo or just watch the YouTube video ^^

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2013 12:42
I've added your game. I'll look through all the competitions and add those games today.

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2013 14:40 Edited at: 27th Feb 2013 15:19
society of the serpent moon by billy777 is dbpro and one of the most polished games i\'ve seen around here:

WRF Studios product page with demo. (i believe his previous offerings are DBC)

Dego by Jimpo should definitely be on the list. his others: chalk invaders, savior from orbit, blocks and a 4-player shooter.

recently, i\'ve appreciated Lucky Dog Cribbage by m2design and Hextris by Diggsey.

add: what became pirate's jewels by erebusman that was ported over to agk, and its spin-off.

there are more that caught my over the years that i\'ll dig up later.

Virtual Nomad @ California, USA . DBPro V7.7 . Matrix1Utils 05.27.12
AMD Phenom™ X4 9750 Quad-Core @ 2.4 GHz . 8 GB PC2-6400 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3650 @ 512 MB . Vista Home Premium 64 Bit
wilindron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2013 19:52
hey guys, here you have "LIBERTUS, Path to Freedom". It is a development of KARMOMultimedia from Spain. This is the first foray into the video game world and have decided to use DarkBASIC PRO engine. It's a free game, sponsored by "Asociación de Municipios de la Ruta Bética Romana". Besides this small and young company is using DARKBASICPRO for 3d applications related to museums and exhibitions (interactive 3D reconstructions, etc ...).

http://vimeo.com/55133634

We will be in touch in this forum, to inform you more news.
Thanks for everything.

Sorry for my English, I am using a web translator...http://www.karmomultimedia.com/
thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2013 23:46
I've updated the original post with some of the games you guys suggested. I didn't have time to check out all of them. However, I did organize the list into categories for convenience. I've discovered along the way that it's very hard to categorize games

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2013 00:04 Edited at: 28th Feb 2013 00:10
I've finished a game a while back which you can download from my website here: http://www.teamdefiant.co.uk/software/index.php?SelectApp=1

It's free so download away.

I've also finished a game for an old TGC competition back in 2004.
It's not available on my website yet, but it seems like a bunch of software sites have downloaded it and have it available for download.
Here's the link from softpedia.com: http://games.softpedia.com/get/Freeware-Games/3D-Bang-Bang.shtml

I'm also working on it's sequel, the accurately named 3D Bang Bang 2. You can download a demo version from my website here: http://www.teamdefiant.co.uk/downloads/software/3DBangBang2.zip

If anyone wants to tell me what they think, I'd welcome the feedback. Email address under this post.

I live for video games! (And beers, and football, and cars!)
See what I live for here: [url]http:\\www.TeamDefiant.co.uk[/url]
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2013 01:33
This is a nice idea. I know it's important to have tools and editors and such and I'm grateful to those people who release all their hard work for free but, man, the program announcements board is totally smothered in software tools so that you can barely see any actual games!

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2013 17:50
Here's a fun shoot-em-up game I made in DBC:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=143180&b=5

TheComet

Jambo B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2013 20:02
3D educational game (times tables!)

"Witches' Cauldron"

http://www.glasstowers.co.uk/witches-cauldron/

Thanks,

James
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2013 20:15 Edited at: 28th Feb 2013 20:45
Good idea; a nice list to inspire people to create.

I felt that Soul Hunter & Samurai Legends are good examples

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2013 22:52
Hmm, this makes me think - even though I originally posted this with just dark basic pro games, maybe I should include dark basic classic games? They are, in theory, almost the same language so I'm leaning towards adding DBC games too. I'm also looking for a way to include screenshots in the post.

GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
Think I heard somewhere that Evochron Mercenary is a DBP game, and made it to Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/71000/?snr=1_7_15__13, mentioned in this thread.
Stab in the Dark software
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Badges, I don't need no stinkin badges
Posted: 2nd Mar 2013 02:25
This was made about the movie" The Last Star fighter".
It was made in DBC, and runs great on Windows 7.
If you remember the movie you will remember the game in the movie.

http://www.roguesynapse.com/games/last_starfighter.php

[img][/img]

WindowsXP SP3,Vista,Windows 7 SP1, DBpro v7.7RC7
Stab In The Dark Editor
The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.
thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2013 21:38
Added more games to the list. Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I've only added games that I've managed to get running immediately. If I haven't added something, I just haven't gotten the chance to check it out. Also, I've only been here since 2009 so if any veteran forum members know any games that were around before my time, post a link to them

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Below are my completed games in DBP, all free:

KickleC (3D Kickle Cubicle remake) - Puzzle

Bombzuka (3D Bombuzal remake) - Puzzle

Packin' Plax (PC Zone's "Freeware Game of the Month" in 2007) - Puzzle

The Little Eggy That Could (Randomly, gameplay video of this game has amassed over 1.2 million views on Youtube and 40k more under a TGC account) - Action
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2013 01:13
Excellent list thenerd, good idea.

"You're all wrong. You're all idiots." ~Fluffy Rabbit
thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2013 02:20 Edited at: 20th Mar 2013 02:20
I wanted to take this chance to post links I found to the winners of the Alienware competition back in 2004. A lot of these still stand as some of the best DBpro games of all time, and while veteran forum members probably remember this, I'm willing to bet any new members haven't seen these games. They're worth a download!

1st Place - Room War - http://files2.thegamecreators.com/showcase/alienware/Room%20War.zip
2nd Place - Roswell Racer - http://files2.thegamecreators.com/showcase/alienware/Roswell%20Racer.zip
3rd Place - Cow Abductor - http://files2.thegamecreators.com/showcase/alienware/Cow%20Abductor.zip

It's worth noting that although the showcase is no longer part of the TGC website, all the files are still there including the ones from the Alienware competition. I found the files on the server by using the URL: http://files2.thegamecreators.com/showcase/alienware/, and then the name of the game (including spaces in most cases), then ".ZIP". This seemed to work for most of the games, so hopefully all the files are still there, although they're hard to find! Maybe if someone from TGC that has access to that file server sees this...

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2013 19:06
Is it ok to add IOTT to the list? I know it's frowned upon, due to a certain easter egg it had, but I'd count it to being one of the best games as well.

TheComet

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2013 19:49 Edited at: 20th Mar 2013 19:51
This is a thread I hope becomes a sticky some day because it promotes the DBP game engine as a product, shows what it can accomplish, encourages forum communication, inspires creativity, promotes peoples work and links to significant threads that are hard to find and forgotten.

It would be nice if there where screenshots of the games somewhere in the thread because graphics are directive and appealing than name lists alone. If any help is required please ask.

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2013 22:56
@TheComet: I'll add it. I forgot that game, I can't get it to run on my computer. But i'm adding it now.

@Chris Tate: I started out with a screenshot and description for every game but as I realized how many games are on this list I gave up. If anyone would be willing to help, it would be cool if we could get a few sentences on every game as well as one or two screenshots of the game. I'll set up a place where we can host the screenshots and we can link to them.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2013 23:02
Stickied. This is a great set of examples of games made in DBPro, some awesome looking games I've missed here too!

this.mess = abs(sin(times#))
GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
As soon as you get screenshots working, I plan to try a few out. That IOTT looked decent from the YouTube video, but all the download links went to the now-dead Megaupload.

I just need a few decent avatar images and I will re-post my Thirty One game. Since I suck with graphics, that might be awhile... :p
thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2013 23:16
So I know this might seem a little far-fetched, but I'm planning on using an SVN to save all the images. This way anone can upload screenshots and I'll just link or embed them in the post. The project is at https://code.google.com/p/dark-basic-showcase/. If you want to help collect screenshots I can explain the system further and add you to the project.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2013 10:12 Edited at: 21st Mar 2013 10:16
Thanks Baxlash for stickying, I hope this becomes successful.

I know Google is a great place for this kind of thing; but just as an option, for screenshots I have my own webserver if you need some web space, it has FTP, PHP and MySQL available. If you need to use it I can allocate a sub-domain and FTP account for you and install a content management system which you could easily administrate, all with Google analytics. This might not be necessary if you think the Google content management system is efficient, I haven't used it.

I've got some automation techniques for layout and screenshots; so what I will do first is capture some small thumbnails and full size screenshots of each game and upload them and post you the links. I'll take about 3 screenshots per game so you can choose.

Just tell me what size you need them in, and any text you want to add; details of fonts and whether you want a sub domain at binarymodular.com and what it needs to be called (EG: dbprogames.binarymodular.com, darkbasicshowcase.binarymodular.com).

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2013 11:45
@baxslash: Oh wow, thanks for the sticky! It's much appreciated I have another favor to ask, could you change the thread title to "List of Games made with Dark Basic"... I decided to add both dbpro and dbc games to the list, there are some great classic games that can't be ignored.

@Chris Tate: Thanks for the offer, I'll take you up on that. the Google Code SVN works great but it tends to be slow, so an FTP server would be a better option. As far as the details are concerned, the subdomain "darkbasicshowcase.binarymodular.com" would be good. What I've started doing for the screenshots is making 180 x 135 thumbnails that are part of the post, and will link to the hi-res screenshot. I'm not familiar with server administration but is there a way to configure the FTP server so that when someone clicks a URL to a supported image it will open in-browser instead of as a download?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2013 11:46
Done

this.mess = abs(sin(times#))
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2013 13:54
Quote: "I'm not familiar with server administration but is there a way to configure the FTP server so that when someone clicks a URL to a supported image it will open in-browser instead of as a download?"

If you are not familiar with administration, this may be an opportunity to learn some of it; and I will assist.

With Javascript, PHP and MySQL the sky is the limit. Generally, linking to an image should display it in the browser; (at least it does in Firefox and Internet Explorer). The system we use will handle all this stuff anyway.

I've got my opinions, but we should all recommend what content management system you feel should be installed and why. Personally, I would install either Media Wiki if you want it in document format, or with PHP BB if you want it in forum format; or PHP Fusion (the one I use) / Joomla / Drupal if you want a mixture; finally there is blog form systems such as Word Press / Serendipity.

Please all provide your whats and whys so we can come to a resolution. Meanwhile I will set up the domain and FTP account.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2013 15:08
Here's the list of Alienware entries:

Abducted (3fbd020b496f3)
Alien Gunslinger (3f79af4d6663d)
Alien Invaders (3fc81b7598bac)
Alien Missions - The Plague (3f9c906d04908)
Alien Penetration (3fc81b7598bac)
Alien Race (3f99ffa125dc3)
Alien Racer (3f782c9ea39d5)
Alien Rampage (3f7fc04ea1510)
Alien Team (3ff2491204868)
AlienGP (3f781203c832c)
AlienRun (3fb60a4c06c53)
AlienWareDuel (3fe7774ccf370)
Alpha Centauri 500 (3fda571ea9661)
An Aliens Tale (3ff164e73a1f9)
Ascender (3ff0dceb973cc)
Aurora the Alien (3ff50bad4e469)
Captain Zed (3fdf6589e8666)
Clone Wars (3ff275b1b1935)
ColdSails (3fc7b48914fc9)
Collectatron (3ff058ec4a7b1)
Cow Abductor (3f8367dc8b215)
Dark Moon (3fc2b99106f5e)
ETV Racer (3f7b28f20f864)
Extranjero (3ff82cf048a5d)
Extreme Alien Pong (3f78610abd3e5)
Giga (3fd78b8c13961)
Grunt (3f840d81d8dfc)
Invaders from Earth (3f85654a7aac6)
Martian Idol (3ff69e4ca762f)
Operation Genocide (3f997a424b9ee)
Operation Invasion Evasion (3f78215d31543)
Outpost (3fb92f6524489)
Pente (3ff1f5fe3151a)
RingBoard (3fee235224278)
Room War (3f7e125a0a7d9)
Roswell Racer (3f7833d77952d)
Sentinel (3f8038588ad60)
Shooter (3fdf33d17a6b9)
Soul Defender (3f9baa23c4e7b)
SoulCaptor (3fa71fbf935ec)
Space Ball Arena (3ff26707afd04)
Star Thing (3f7811cc0cf74)
Super Alien Bash (3f7e2bae7ec4d)
Tank Collector (3ff16cf3c0da9)
Terra Ignis (3fc3e674ee5a1)
The Artifact Wars (3f7ab6aba7aed)
The Bad Side (3f9d2c623f40f)
The Last huntsMAN (3f9aeacab7cfc)
TripleA (3f7c68b4bb8e2)
UFO Catcher (3fafc1bff3195)
UFO Racer (3f8bb39aeece1)
UfoRaPu (3f896bf23f94d)
Vergaz (3ff08ede0218e)
Virushunter (3ff1a2f6e078e)
Visitation (3f86a835a1882)
X-Truder (3f8bfb6dc53f2)
Xenosphere (3f7808dad8019)
XTCheckers (3f8089d733913)
XTG (3f7ba2c8b31e7)

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2013 16:43 Edited at: 21st Mar 2013 16:43
The sub-domain is being activated by my host. Now waiting for any suggestions for a content management system in accordance with my above post.

Perhaps tomorrow morning I will install the chosen system.

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2013 23:36
From what I've read and my limited personal experience, Wordpress sounded like a good system. I'm not sure if a blog would be the best way to organize things though. Whatever system we use, I envision a simple way to upload / view screenshots through an online interface. The style doesn't have to be incredibly complex, in fact simpler is probably better. Chris, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2013 01:14 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2013 02:00
All of the systems can be customized to look like galleries. So we are spoiled for choice.

Our objective as an observer is to see what the games look like before downloading them, we want to look at games that are in the genre we like and look interesting in our own opinions.

So from the observers standpoint having a gallery, with perhaps a brief introduction and possibily a list of comments/feedback about the game would help find us what we are looking for. Having them categorized like how you have done keeps things organized. Having comments, ratings and rotation helps promote good work.

So it is quite likely that starting off simple doesn't mean that maintaining the list will be simple in the long run; since as the list grows and as requests for features arise, installing a simple system may not have such features available.

I think we should install something with all the features, but start off with a very basic layout. That should give you plenty of room to breath.

I will recommend 2 and you can choose the one that I install; at the end of the day both of them can whip up a gallery with no issue.

If you want to get fully involved with swapping and changing the website when ever you see fit without getting too deep into web jargon; use WordPress, it is the most user-friendly one, but is by no means limited.

If you want to concentrate on simply adding text and images and leaving the technical and layout stuff for me; then we might as well install Drupal; since it is the most powerful one. Older and more robust than Joomla; more popular than PHP Fusion and more community based than Media WIKI.

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2013 02:26
I've thought about it for a little while and I think installing Drupal would be the better solution from what it sounds like. You'll most likely end up heading the technical aspects, so ease of use won't be an issue. It would also provide a learning experience for me considering I haven't dealt much with web hosting.

As far as the design of the gallery system, I have a few concepts in mind. For the main index page, I have two ideas. The first version of the page could be a simple list, with links to each database entry. Another more complex version of the index page would use thumbnails instead of links. I imagined a grid of images covering the page. Each image would link to the entry for its corresponding game. The grid format would fit the style I'm using to organize the images in this thread.

I envisioned each entry having a Name, Description, Links, and Screenshots section. The top three will be plaintext or URLs. the Screenshot category will need a way to upload images, and we could use a PHP script to generate a (180x135) thumbnail, which is the image I'll be using as a part of this main post. We could also create a comments and rating system, but I think that's a feature for later on. I'd like to encourage people to post in the TGC threads for the respective games, above all this gallery and thread should provide exposure for the games listed.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2013 03:51
Ok that seems clear, later on I will upload the system and create the database for it.

About the thumbnail procedure; do you want any person to be able to submit screenshots; or do you just need me to create the screenshots for the games? If the public can upload screenshots then a thumbnail generator will be created and someone will need to moderate the submissions. If I am creating the screenshots according to your size info, then I wouldn't need PHP to create the thumbnails.

At first the overall Drupal colour scheme will not be 'cool'; we will need a theme and website banner created to make it look like a gamesite rather than a freshly installed content mangement system. Let me know what you are thinking in regards to the look of the buttons and colourscheme; will you supply the banner or will I need to supply it.

Later

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2013 16:08 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2013 16:12
The website email address will be: darkbasicshowcase@binarymodular.com

My email address is chris.tate@binarymodular.com (as well as support@binarymodular.com)

I will need your email address so any messages sent to darkbasicshowcase@binarymodular.com get forwarded to you also.

It will be a good idea to look at the default template currently active; darkbasicshowcase.binarymodular.com use it for inspiration on any decisions you want to make nice and early before any technical configuration takes place.

My current objective is to get a basic layout set up so people can find the game's they are looking for. Later on all of the fancy stuff will be added like you said.

It looks like we got given a nice slideshow on the home page of top 4 items; less work for me...

Here is a list of the overall technical tasks I will need input and help with for technical reasons, in accordance with your request above:

Site:
* Site introduction text (I will whip up something temporary later on if you don't get round to it)
* Site banner (I can create it if you are not into graphic design)
Games listings
* Short Descriptions (Needed for sub-headers and hints)
* Full Descriptions (Probably a copy and paste from the first paragraph of the WIP/Announcement. Later on these can be edited on the site)
* Mini banners/logos - Needed for list view controls and profiles (Probably just a snapshot of the banner in the developers post; later on these can be submitted from the actual site)

Quote: "The top three will be plaintext or URLs."

Clarify that... what do you mean there.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2013 17:50
I've spoken to Rick and Paul, and they've made the Alienware folder accessible as a file list:

http://files2.thegamecreators.com/showcase/alienware/

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2013 20:36 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2013 21:19
Thanks, that's good.

Edit: Quick note to self; and for the task list for later on is video footage.

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2013 16:35
@BatVink: Thanks for taking the time to do that.

@Chris Tate:

Quote: "About the thumbnail procedure; do you want any person to be able to submit screenshots; or do you just need me to create the screenshots for the games? If the public can upload screenshots then a thumbnail generator will be created and someone will need to moderate the submissions. If I am creating the screenshots according to your size info, then I wouldn't need PHP to create the thumbnails."

I envisioned anyone being able to submit an entry through a form, and we as admins can then approve it. Part of the form would have a way to upload screenshots of any size, and for each screenshot a PHP script should automatically create a thumbnail image. I think this is the best way to manage the system because it'll make it easier for people to add their games to the list. I think it's preferable to have an automatic system for creating thumbnails, I've already spent a few hours on it and I'm sure the list will expand.

Quote: "At first the overall Drupal colour scheme will not be 'cool'; we will need a theme and website banner created to make it look like a gamesite rather than a freshly installed content mangement system. Let me know what you are thinking in regards to the look of the buttons and colourscheme; will you supply the banner or will I need to supply it."

I can create a banner, just tell me the size it should be. I'll think more about the theme for the page. I was thinking we could create a theme similar to the forum, but I'm not sure if we would have permission to do that.

Quote: "I will need your email address so any messages sent to darkbasicshowcase@binarymodular.com get forwarded to you also."

My email address is chrisdalke(at)gmail.com. If you need anything else just tell me.

Hmm, my other thoughts:

* Site introduction text - either of us can write this, we just have to decide what to say
* Site banner - I can create this when I have a few minutes free.
* Games listings - I imagined having a submission form with:
Logo
Title
Description (Short)
Description (Extended)
Links
Screenshot(s)

Quote: "Quote: "The top three will be plaintext or URLs."

Clarify that... what do you mean there."

I'm sorry, my wording wasn't quite clear. I was just referring to the fact that the Title, description and links would be plain text and the screenshot section would be the only part requiring some sort of uploader. but that's irrelevant now because we're still brainstorming what each page will have.

Above all, I think we need to make sure that this thread and the site work well together. The site should serve as a companion to the thread, but I don't want to make this thread unnecessary. Anyone should be able to come to the thread and quickly see the thumbnails and titles, and the site will provide a more complete, in-depth version of this thread with more features (such as the video footage, reviews, and others).

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2013 18:29
I have a link to my other windows game available now if you want it.

3D Bang! Bang!
http://www.teamdefiant.co.uk/software/index.php?SelectApp=7

Same screenshot I posted earlier.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2013 19:39
Ok cool; I will start reading up on the site system as a whole to get my mind back into website development mode, then I will focus on the structure and thumbnail scripts.

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2013 21:37
@Mobiius: Added. I hesitate to link to games / downoad websites that might carry viruses so that's why I didn't add the link before. I've added your game now

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2013 23:02 Edited at: 23rd Mar 2013 23:18
add ermes' dbpro classics (ESF already added above):

Sunday Drivers / mediafire download

Sunday Panzers / mediafire download

dbc offerings:

raven assault squad / mediafire download

raven ii / mediafire download

his current home page with links to all.

Virtual Nomad @ California, USA . DBPro V7.7 . Matrix1Utils 05.27.12
AMD Phenom™ X4 9750 Quad-Core @ 2.4 GHz . 8 GB PC2-6400 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3650 @ 512 MB . Vista Home Premium 64 Bit
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2013 01:24
Can I ask you to change the link to the 3d game to this please:
http://www.teamdefiant.co.uk/software/index.php?SelectApp=1
Just so visitors go to the precise place rather than to a listing of all my games. (Which is probably better for me because it might promote more business!)

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2013 02:28 Edited at: 24th Mar 2013 02:32
@Virtual Nomad: Unfortunately I haven't added his games yet... because after downloading Sunday Panzers I lost track of time and spent about two hours playing it

@Mobiius: Done. I added 3d Bang! Bang! 2 as well.

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2013 10:51 Edited at: 25th Mar 2013 10:53
Thanks.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2013 21:32
TheNerd; The next step in my department is to create the game data type. With this showcase the primary focus has been on games; should I reflect this in the data structure or do you think it is a good idea to treat each entry as an application, categorized as a game and grouped by genre?

Let me know anything else that comes to mind relating submission forms and categorization (beyond what you said above about the description, name etc)

Meanwhile, I'll just name the data type as 'App' and treat it as software developed in DBP/C, categorized by Game/Tool, grouped by genre; if you decide to stick with games, I will rename it to 'Game', categorized by genre.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2013 12:25
I've created a basic structure, now uploading the first 20 or so games for testing purposes. I will also be uploading screenshots; unless you have any.

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2013 01:55
Great. Sorry I've abandoned this thread the last week, I've been very busy. I'll try to help expand the list and put things on the website this weekend!

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2013 10:55 Edited at: 30th Mar 2013 10:56
Cool; I'm getting strange page layout errors with the listings, when I try to format the listings the system keeps throwing an error so the games are listing in ugly large rows at the moment. I'm quite disappointed with this and am suspecting the template is to blame; but we'll see.

When you register you will be able to at least upload content when I promote you; and people can at least see the screenshots and download the games. I'll take responsibility for adding the AlienWare stuff, but am currently for the most part spending most of the time debugging the bloody website.

How did you get the screenshots to line up side by side in the post?

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2013 15:48 Edited at: 30th Mar 2013 15:48
Registered. Once the website is working I'll upload everything from this thread so we can make sure the lists are the same. In the forum post, I got the screenshots to line up by putting the image tags on the same line of text instead of separate lines. So this is the normal code:

{img}{/img}
{img}{/img}

and this is what I do.

{img}{/img}{img}{/img}

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 00:16:17
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 00:16:17