Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Testing Games on Different Platforms Windows, MAC and Linux

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2019 16:00 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2019 16:02
Hey folks.

I wondered if maybe some of us could help each other out with multi-platform testing.

I only have Windows and not MAC or Linux. I don't want to release anything for MAC or Linux without being able to test.

I guess we can make builds for MAC and Linux right on Windows but I have never tried?

Anyway if we can make builds for other desktop targets it is vital we have a way to test them.

I am willing to test any Windows builds for people who have only MAC or Linux. Not testing all Windows builds period. Lol But I mean test for those people who have no way to test because they do not have a Windows machine.

If any of you with MAC or Linux are willing to test those builds for us Windows only folks please post in here letting us know.

Likewise if any of you Windows folks are willing to test Windows builds for MAC or Linux users please post in here to let them know.

Thanks and let's all have an awesome 2019! =)
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Jan 2019 17:09
Sure, sounds like a plan

I have Windows and Android phone and tablet

Have a good 2019 too
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2019 01:46 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2019 03:45
It's easy enough to run linux from a flash drive or as a virtual machine on windows, for what it's worth.
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2019 02:12
I know ther's a thread around that mentions a service which ill test your app on a number of devices for about $50.
I don't think they test gameplay or anything like that. Just make sure it runs and the screens appear as advertised
MadBit
VIP Member
Gold Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2019 04:42
I have Windows 7/10 and several Linux distributions on USB sticks and VirtualBox.
I need someone in the near future to test AgkSharp on MacOS.
Share your knowledge. It\'s a way to achieve immortality. (Tenzin Gyatso)
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2019 13:47 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2019 13:48
Quote: "I guess we can make builds for MAC and Linux right on Windows but I have never tried?"

Nope. You actually do really need a Mac for that. In fact, you kind of need a Mac and an iPhone if you want to compile for iOS and be able to test anything.
Apparently there used to be a time where you could test apps using XCode virtually, but never got that working (I'll admit, I hardly tried).

I can compile on my iMac just fine and make an OSX app, at least one I can run locally, but apparently you need to 'sign' the app before it would be permitted onto the app store, for which you're going to need a registered Apple developer account ($99 a year, plus whatever it may cost to get an app published (?) ). Keep in mind that doing such a compile basically links it to whomever compiles it, contrary to on Windows. I'm pretty sure the one who compiles has 'custom access', instead of just Read Only. Then again, I'm fairly unfamiliar with the details.

Quote: "If any of you with MAC or Linux are willing to test those builds for us Windows only folks please post in here letting us know."

I have both Mac and Windows, if you've got a project folder with all resources included I could compile on Mac and at least test the game's functionality. However, I can not do the signing of the app for you or add it to the App Store, you're going to have to do that yourself, on a Mac with your own accounts and licenses. Apple is a bit closed like that.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
janbo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2019 16:27
Well you need the Operating systems to the corresponding platforms but you can run every OS on a Virtual Machine.
Slice Wise for example is tested and compiled on Virtual Machines only
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2019 21:35 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2019 21:36
Really?! Like I said I never tested it but I thought we could all make builds for other desktop platforms. I thought pretty much all of the modern game engines did this. Now I wonder if Unity and the others are the same way and the people making multiple desktop builds of their games are actually using multiple dedicated computers / virtual machines to do it. Interesting.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 19:22:42
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 19:22:42