Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / Any opinions on App Game Kit and it's guides?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey everyone, I've been thinking about making a game for a while now, just something to pass the time and develop some new skills. I've made two games in the past (a pong clone in Game Maker Studio and a short little RPG in RPG Maker), so I have some experience.

Basically, I don't want anything huge or anything, just an Idler in the vein of Merchant or the recently released Pixel Blacksmith. So the core gameplay loop will be going through menus.

I was wondering, as going through and researching my options, if anyone has any experience with App Game Kit? I have a copy from one of the old Humble Bundles, and it will let me export to basically any platform I want for "free". Whereas Game Maker Studio, even though I have more experience, it would cost me money to export (which I'm not even sure if I'll do or not).

So does anyone have any opinions before I dig too deeply into it? I couldn't find any information in the FAQs in the side bar. Also, does anyone know if the Tutorial/Beginner's Guide for App Game Kit is worth the price? Thanks everyone!

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2020 22:43
Quote: "I was wondering, as going through and researching my options, if anyone has any experience with App Game Kit?"

Really?
You're posting in an agk forum and asking if anyone has any experience with it?
Literally everyone here has experience with it! Is there anything specific that you want to know?

As for the tutorials, I've never used them so I couldn't say. However, the forum is one of the most friendly and helpful forums you're likely to find. Post a coding question here and you can expect a positive response.

In short: Try using your free copy of agk and follow the free online guide (F1 from the IDE) then ask your questions here in the forum. It's a great resource!
Kevin Cross
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2020 15:54
We have to say AppGameKit is great, or we get in trouble! Kidding As Scraggle said: have a look through the example projects that came with AppGameKit, look through any free tutorials, and just play with it. I enjoy developing with it. Not overly keen on Studio yet so I still use Classic which is what you probably have. If you have access to the latest version of Classic with your Humble bundle license then it's probably a good idea to update as a lot of things get added and fixed to AppGameKit approximately every month or two. Or try the demo if you can't upgrade.

If you plan to release on the different stores you can release on Google Play for free but you will need a yearly developers license to release on the App Store which is about $90 or so. Aside from that cost, there's no other costs to release an app. TGC do not take any profits your app might make.

You can make a wide range of games and apps with AGK
OryUI - A WIP AGK2 UI Framework
Loktofeit
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2020 21:20
Dozens of tutorials, lots of example source, and many knowledgeable posters here that can answer questions.
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2020 15:22 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2020 15:27
If you already have a copy, then what have you got to lose giving it a try, other than your time?

FAQ #1:
So does anyone have any opinions before I dig too deeply into it?

Answer#1
YES!

In my opinion, AppGameKit is the best tool that a beginning programmer could own, and the same could be said for experienced programmers as well.

FAQ#2
Also, does anyone know if the Tutorial/Beginner's Guide for App Game Kit is worth the price?

Answer#2
YES!

Especially considering that you received AppGameKit essentially for free in a bundle when buying other products making your investment minimal to start.

There are also plenty of other resources for HELP with specific issues, but nothing else is more comprehensive than the guides.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
2D Analyst
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Coming from a guy who tried Game Maker, Xamarin, Dark Basic Pro, HTML5 and AppGameKit, I think AppGameKit is the best for beginning game development as the learning curve is low. As far as quality games, I don't think it really matters what game creation tools you used as the quality games comes from creativity and hard work.

For the most part, documentations are very helpful and creating demo is the best way to learn a concept. If I'm stuck on a programming problem, posting it on the forum is a great way to get ideas or solution. The only time when I don't get a solution is when I didn't articulate the issue well and so no one knows what the F was I talking about. LOL

Welcome!
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2020 02:45
after dabbling with darkbasic pro and agk for the last 10-15 years, the Hands On AppGameKit eBooks didn't bring much to the table when i purchased them relatively recently.

but, since you offer that you've "only" made a pong game and something in rpgmaker, they'd be worth the money to introduce you to concepts, show you what the command sets provide, and also help you get acclimated to AppGameKit syntax.

IE, a verbose version of the help files with some insight on the author's method/structure (while there are others).

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 18:35:55
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 18:35:55