Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / [LOCKED] The "Official" level Design Competition Thread

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2006 19:03 Edited at: 26th May 2006 20:52
www.OzarkGames.com is hosting a level design competition.For more info on uploading your level go there and PM Just One Old Man.
The rules are simple:
1. Deadline for entry will be June 1st.Since June 1st is very close and some forum members may need more time to complete their levels or might not be aware of the contest.I may extend the deadline.I will need feedback from the people wishing to enter the contest.
2.The level needs to be a single playable level,preferably an .exe.
3.You can use stock or free media that is available for all of our forum members to download and use.Some people can't afford to pay for extra media and want this contest to be fair.
4.No cheating.If you do you will be caught.We have several forum members who are great at what they do and if you cheat someone will be able to tell almost immediately.

I still need two judges and if anyone wants to donate a prize or their services as a judge it would be highly appreciated.
I know there is at least one prize right now.
If you are interested in taking part in this contest please let me or JustOneOldMan know,post here,go to OzarkGames,etc.
Thanks to Zaku for the contest idea.I hope he continues to stay involved with this.
Thanks to KeithC for volunteering to be a judge and JOOM and OzarkGames.com for hosting.
Thanks to anyone who will enter for making this a success.
If no one wants to enter the contest let us know.I have plenty of time but I am sure the rest of these fine people can use their time and resources elsewhere.
Thanks for all your support.

ATTENTION!!!!!!!!!!!!
The deadline for the contest has been extended until JUNE 15th.
This will allow everyone a little more time to enter the constest.
Thank you.

Criteria that the level will be judged on:

1. Ambience.Lighting,sound,use of media,segments,etc.Anyone can make a room or level.It what you do with that level that matters.

2.Playability.This is basically whether the player can start playing the level and do a reasonable job of navigating,etc.
If a game requires two college degrees to play or if someone is swearing at the developer the whole time they are trying to play then the level is not playable.Also,the level has to be functional from start to finish.For example,if you lock a door please provide a key.These are just examples.

3.Keeping with the theme of the contest.The contest is WWII themed.If you open the first door and,lo and behold,you are on the starship Enterprise,you have not made a WWII themed level.Bad example but you get my point.

4.Innovation.This is simply how you use the media,objectives,etc.
People who come up with unique ideas and implement them are innovative.
The last two criteria are the most important by far.

5.The actual level design.Since this is what the contest is about this will obviously weigh heavy in the judges' decision

6.Gameplay.THE most important element of evaluating any game is the gameplay factor.Is it fun?Does it have a "hook"?All of the levels will be first person shooters (I hope).What sets yours apart?
The judges so far are Keith and Rich and I trust their decisions and I am sure given their experience that they are perfect for the job.I am looking for a third judge at the moment.If I don't find one that means I will have to be one in case of a tie.
At the end of the day scores are meaningless.The judges will pick which level they think is the best and their decision is final.
Once the contest is over and the winners are picked I hope to make all of the entries available to everyone so they can play them and decide for themselves.Feedback is invaluable.
I will be updating this thread with the latest prize list later.

NOTE:IF YOU ARE USING NON-STOCK MEDIA YOU NEED TO POST IT HERE OR A LINK TO IT OR BE SURE IT CAN BE DOWNLOADED BY EVERYONE.

For example,if you got your model off www.fps-files.net there is no need to post your model since all forum members can download it from there.If you found or made,say,a fig tree and on one has access to it but you then you need to post it.
You can make custom segments if you use a free segment creator to make them or make them by hand.There is no need to post those since anyone can download Signs II and make their own.
The only exception to the rules about the media is if it is personal
(your voice or the voice of a friend or a personal pic).
The judges are less concerned about what media you use than how you use it.
I hope you all have fun and we have a lot of people enter the contest.
If you have any questions,comments,etc. please feel free to post them.
Again,contact Keith or Just One Old Man at www.OzarkGames.com about how to upload your file there and they will give you all the info you need.
That is where the judges will be looking for the levels for the contest.
Good Luck!

Editing post yet again...
Sharth has agreed to be the third judge an I accepted so we have all of the judges.I will update the prize list as soon as I can.

Edit postrize list has been updated.
Also,you can only enter one level per participant.Thank You.
Please don't forget the deadline to enter your level is June 15th.

FLa
Where you can find my demo:http://www.savefile.com/files/6970524
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2006 19:47
Alright, finally a definitive guidline for the contest. Let's get this rolling.

-Keith

dennisb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2006 21:35
What is the prize?

Can I enter my froggy wild west shoot out?

Dennis The Frogman
www.3dfrog.com
Nigezu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2006 22:12 Edited at: 17th May 2006 22:13
@dennisb
It should be a ONE level. Not full game.

I will entry to this competition. Can I make my own media to this or should it something from forums? And is there any theme?

Intel P4 Processor 519 3.06 Ghz, 1536 MB DDR, Ati Radeon 9550 256MB
My site: http://www.freewebs.com/nigezu
dennisb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2006 22:22
I only have one level so far

Dennis The Frogman
www.3dfrog.com
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 17th May 2006 22:49 Edited at: 17th May 2006 22:50
@Nigezu

Quote: "3.You can use stock or free media that is available for all of our forum members to download and use.Some people can't afford to pay for extra media and want this contest to be fair.
"

The way I read this, if you use custom media, it has to be available to the community as well.

Crazy Grandpa
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2006 23:19
That is correct. Xplosys. One of the prizes is my WW2 Pack; I believe a copy of E.C.S. Pro is up for grabs as well as other prizes.

-Keith

dennisb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2006 23:34
Do you mean if we have made our own custom media we have to give it away to the community?

Dennis The Frogman
www.3dfrog.com
Just One Old Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2006 23:46
To keep it fair, the contest is about who can make the best level, not the best media. That will be for another competition. That means that people can only use what is free and readily accessible to all entrants. You can make your own, but then yes, you'd have to let everyone else have it. If this thing flies, then we can do the media contest next. A level using your own content.

I Has described everything pretty well above. We think this would be an interesting show of what FPSC can currently do. We will make all entries available to the public at the end of the contest so everyone gets a look. Wouldn't be fair to show them ahead of time.

Sarcasm, just one more service I have to offer...
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2006 01:17
I have the Model Packs and the Sprite pack.According to the rules I can't use those because it would give me an unfair advantage.If you do use media that you make it has to be available to the community for free and with enough time for them to use it.
The level should be WWII themed.I hope to let the winner choose the theme of the next contest but that was what Zaku started with so we will run with that.If you have any more questions,comments,etc. feel free to post them here.

FLa
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2006 10:11
Dennis,
From what I have seen so far your game looks good.It is too bad it is a western-themed game.I am sure there will be a western-themed
level compo sooner or later.I don't have any western weapons
but I do have some other western media.Sounds like it would be fun to make.
I do encourage you and everyone else to enter a WWII level in this compo if you have the time.

FLa
TeMpLaR1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2006 10:17
I can donate my huds packs if you want :/

Just One Old Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2006 10:35
That would be great, TeMpLaR, thanks. We hope we get enough entries to go ahead with the contest. There doesn't seem to be too much interest so far. Maybe there just aren't many people creating things with FPSC yet. Or maybe they're waiting for the weekend to talk about it.

dennisb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2006 13:30
I has returned

I am interested in what western media you have. I would love to have a look if you are willing to share or sell.

Sorry to go off topic. you can email me at countfrogula@yahoo.com

Dennis The Frogman
www.3dfrog.com
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2006 17:25
Dennis,
I sent you an e-mail but just in case you dont get it I thought I'd let you know that I have the Wild West model pack.You can download it for free from www.fps-files.net.
I might have some other western themed media.If I find any more I will let you know.

FLa
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2006 18:51
I'm pretty sure Dave (Reality Forgotten) and his crew are working on a Wild West style pack over at his site (I'm a member there, so I should realy check in more often ).

-Keith

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2006 22:00
Yes, this month's HAS to be WWII, but if you win you decide what next month's is.

-Keith

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2006 01:40
Keith's right.It started out as a WWII level so to be fair to anyone who started working on it as soon as it was announced as well as anyone who just started we have to keep it that way.
The winner gets to pick the next level,etc.
Just to remind everyone that plans on entering a level for the contest you need to go to www.OzarkGames.com ASAP to get info on uploading your level.Thanks.

FLa
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2006 03:39 Edited at: 19th May 2006 03:42
Ozark Games Forums is where you can check it out.

-Keith

Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2006 03:48
i dont think i'll enter for making a level, i kinda need to brush up my level design skills, but i can offer CorePak Vol. 1 as a prize if you want

-Jon

RedCore // www.redcore.uni.cc
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2006 04:37
That will make a good prize; thanks, Jon. Might I suggest, I.Returned, that we get a list of all the prizes before it's time to start judging?

-Keith

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2006 05:11 Edited at: 4th Jun 2006 02:19
No problem.
Jon's CorePak Vol. 1
ECSPro
Templar's hud packs
Keith's WWII model pack
and I bought an extra copy of the animated sprite pack I will put up as a prize.
Is that all or are there any more that you know of?

Edit post:Rich (Opus Games) has graciously donated a $50 cash prize.
I think I still have a few others out there.I am just making sure before I post them.Thanks.

Update:
Ben is donating prizes.I believe they are his game,a landscape pack,and a music pack (your choice).
Higgins is donating his melee pack.

Yet another prize update:
BlobZone is donating a copy of Model Pack 2.

And yet another another update GBC_Games has doanted a copy of his explosives pack for the contest.Thanks again to all who have donated.

FLa
Talairina
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2006 08:22 Edited at: 19th May 2006 08:36
Wow, thats an impressive prize list. You guy's are certainly getting this together. So Stock media (or custom media if you make it free and aviable in advance to everyone else) WW2 theme. Hmm I think I can rustle something up.

Good job guy's this could be great fun.

Tal
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2006 12:33 Edited at: 19th May 2006 12:43
Great, finally something definite and good!

Question.... I'm willing to donate prices (My full game, the landscape pack and music) to make this contest an even bigger success, but can I still enter even though I'm donating? This is maninly for future reference, I'm most likely not going to enter this one, since I don't like the WW2 theme, but that's just personal. Who know in the end I may enter, but I'm not sure yet.

Also may I suggest setting the deadline to a later date. Doing this will ensure that the contest can be announced in June TGC newsletter also. A lot of FPSC users do not visit this board regulary, but do read the newsletter. By putting it into the newsletter, more people will hear about the challenge and it gives the competition some extra credibility and coverage needed!

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2006 13:38
Just because you donate a prize does not mean you can't enter (you can just pick a prize you don't have). Waiting to put it in the Newsletter is a good idea, IMO. We also need to stipulate what can be picked by the winner (as far as the next competition), it should be something plausible. We could then elaborate: winner picks modern-day; we add the element of an "escape-from" level (for example).

-Keith

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2006 13:39
One prize per winner.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2006 14:54
Thanks for explaining it some more in detail. Can a competion entry thread be started here also? I'm happy to donate, but I guess that will be my only restriction in donating.

Since it's geared at FPSC users and it seems like only a very few users are member at the Ozarkgames forum, it would be a good choice to move the entries to this forum also.

So, if an official entry thread can be started here also, that takes away the need of becoming a member at yet another site, I'm willing to donate prizes also.

Of course you guys are in charge, but to really make it succesful and get full support and ensure the most entries also.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2006 15:52
Since we are hosting all the game files, we have the contest run at our forums. However, there should be a thread here as well to keep everyone up to date, and have entries announced with a description from the author. The levels won't be available for public use until the contest has been judged (I believe). I Has Returned is in overall control of the contest I believe though.

-Keith

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2006 17:12
Ill donate my crappy melee tool pack that no one was interested in after the melee hype.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2006 17:14
I think we can extend the contest deadline until June 15th.That should give everyone enough time to enter.
Quote:
"We also need to stipulate what can be picked by the winner (as far as the next competition), it should be something plausible. We could then elaborate: winner picks modern-day; we add the element of an "escape-from" level (for example)."
That is the idea.We would let the winner pick the theme as long as it's plausible.We might decide to add stipulations.
I am going to let www.OzarkGames.com host the entries.They have graciously donated the space.JustOneOldMan has all the info on that and even has an FTP program available if you need one.
I think it's okay to enter as long as you are not a judge.I can't see why not.
I think letting the winner choose what prize they want is an excellent idea.
Keith is right.We need to let OzarkGames host the files.Then the judges will be the first to see and play the levels after the contest deadline.Posting screenies in this thread would be cool,though.
The other thing is we would have all of the levels in the same spot.
If we start posting them on the FPSC forums people would put up links to God only knows where and some places are unreliable when it comes to downloading.If they are all at OzarkGames we know where they are and so do the judges.
Becoming a member at OzarkGames only takes a second.I don't think they do the e-mail verification thing.Just pick a user name and password and then you're set.
I'm not entirely sure you would need to be a memeber but I will have to check with JOOM on that.
You ought to sign up anyways.That's where Keith posts his models.
There is also a place to showcase your stuff,post your media,etc.
If you are looking for exposure for your product,screenies,game,etc.
that is a good place to go.
If someone could get in touch with TGC and see if they can include the contest in next month's magazine I would deeply appreciate it.
I still need two judges.Thanks to everyone who is helping and thanks to everyone who is entering for making the contest a success.

FLa
Just One Old Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2006 18:21
I Has Returned is right, I think. Having all entries in the same place makes sense, and some of the free download sites can be a pain at best. They're nice to have available for people who don't have a site like that, but it might make it difficult for a cometition like this.

With everyone being nice enough to offer prizes, it sounds like the list will be a good one. As has been mentioned, the winner will only get to pick one. The reason for the list is to offer a variety because a lot of people might already have one of the products. It's the same thing we'll be doing at OG in our upcoming contest that will be announced in the OG newsletter.

We think we've made this as easy as possible, and I can see some people not wanting to sign up at yet another forum. Since my email is not public here, anyone that wants to enter but does not want to register at OG can email KeithC and he will forward me your address. Then I will send the information on uploading your entry.

Because I have made the folder public, anyone with the login information could upload anything or any files they want, so we decided to try to keep that down by not making the upload information public. I'll also be checking the folder periodically to make sure only contest entries have been uploaded. We hope you understand the need for this.

We also want to make it clear that this contest is being run by I Has Returned (originally started by ZAKU), and it is an FPSC community project. We at OG are only acting as the host and are not in any way trying to take the competition away from the TGC forums or recruit new members. That's not the way we move. You don't have to join our forums or even stop by there. We would just like to see the FPSC community moving in a forward direction.

All that being said, we hope this takes off and a lot of people get involved. So, in the words of Mr. Guthrie (most of you won't remember him) - "Throw down your books and pick up your guns, we're gonna have a whole lot of fun."

Tom0001
Years of Service
User Offline
How many winners can there be???
Also, can we use a sound that we created in our level?
Tom

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2006 18:51
Those are good qusestions,Tom.If you use any type of media that you make yourself it has to be available for free so the FPSC communtiy can download it.In the interst of fairness you can use custom media as long as everyone has access to the same.
As far as winners go I would like to give anyone who enters a prize.
I'm just that way.However,I would like to give the top five entries a prize.Then any prizes left over would carry on to the next month's competition as long as the person donating the prize decides not to withdraw it,which they can feel free to do at the end of each month's contest.
Some of the members donating prizes may donate on a monthly basis or it may be a one time thing.We will have to see.
I understand that you might not want to release your media for free to the communtiy or at all.I am trying to put myself in the shoes of someone who can't or won't buy additional media and I didn't want to limit it just to stock media because everything would look the same.
The only exception to the media rule is segments.You can download Sings II for free and make your own with that and that should not be beyond the scope of any of our forum members.
You can use any media you wish as long as you have the license to use it and it is also available to all of our other members to use as well.

FLa
Opus Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2006 19:00 Edited at: 19th May 2006 19:00
Hi,

Firstly I commend your work in putting this together (and to everyone else involved).

I'd be happy to supply a prize, not sure what, but I'm open to suggestions, within reason.

Also, if you're still after judges I'd be happy to help - if you need to know more email me.

Cheers, Rich.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2006 19:12
Thanks.I sent you an e-mail.

FLa
Opus Games
Years of Service
User Offline
You're welcome.

I've now sent you an email too. If you're happy with my suggestion regarding a prize then please feel free to post here about it.

I believe it would certainly help to finalise the likely prize list and how it will be distributed as it should help to motivate people to enter.

Cheers, Rich.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2006 19:48
Opus Games has not only volunteered to be a judge but he graciously offered to donate a cash prize of $50.00.
Rich,
Thank you for donating your time as well as the cash prize.I'm not sure how much $50 is in foreign currency but that's still a nice prize.I don't think the forum members will have any objection with it.

FLa
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2006 19:50 Edited at: 19th May 2006 19:50
Does anyone think I should start another thread that will update the rules,etc. for the competition and well as an updated prize list?Please let me know.

FLa
Opus Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2006 20:01 Edited at: 19th May 2006 20:12
Hi,

I'm glad to help / be involved. $50 works out to approximately 39 Euros / 27 British Pounds.

Yahoo Currency Converter

I agree, it might be best to start a new thread to focus more on the entries and to comprehensively outline all the details that have been discussed through this thread -or- simply overhaul the first post (runs the risk of the first post being missed since this thread is, or is soon to be, two pages). Perhaps put it in Showcase, who knows, maybe it'll get stickied alongside the Screenshot Competition.

Cheers, Rich.
Tom0001
Years of Service
User Offline
I has Returned,
When you say ww2 stuff, are we actually limited to the ww2 entities and stuff? Or can we use stuff that fit in as ww2? Because some parts of the level I am designing for this needs lights and consoles from the sci-fi section, but they do fit in with the ww2 theme very well. Tell me what you think,

Tom

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2006 20:20
The level itself needs to be WWII themed.What media you use to make it that way is your decision as long as it falls under the media guidelines.
The judges can figure out if a level is WWII themed so I don't think the media you use matters as long as the media rules are followed.
After while I am going to sart a new thread updating everything.

FLa
Talairina
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2006 20:21
That is a very kind prize Opus and Im sure it will attract even more entries. I also agree with a new thread exclusivly for entries and summary of the rule's as it's been discussed here. I have to admit, Im really impressed with everyone banding together to get this contest running. I just hope us contesnts can produce some good entries for you all to judge.

Tal
Just One Old Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2006 20:21 Edited at: 19th May 2006 20:23
When I Has Returned has finalized the prize portion I will add that to the post at OG concerning the contest.

And Rich, thanks for the prize inclusion. Everyone's involvement in making this contest a good one has to be appreciated by the community as a whole. Hopefully the last six month "rough ride" here is coming to an end and we can look forward to a bigger, better FPSC forums, where people want to come and make games.

Tom0001
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't agree with a new thread, since it will become inconvenient having to keep checking new threads for updates-post updates in this thread. It will be a lot easier for most of us.

Tom

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2006 20:29
Just update the first page, that would be the best way to do it. Also, email me about my prize ill give away.

Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2006 20:32
WOW only just seen this give me a while and i'll try and make something

Theme park simulator wip boards
BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2006 20:43
ya, well....uh....

in ww2...there was a secret underground facility in area 51, where the studied aliens, and uhh....thats where my level takes place...

Just One Old Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2006 20:47
Bullshock: I think I found that in CoD 2, which is where I was transported to an alien planet. There I had to fight off alien hordes with futuristic weapons and insane spacecraft.

Best WWII game I ever played.......

Talairina
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2006 20:50
Off Topic:
JOOM your living up to your sig there.
Would that teleporter to the alien world be next to the one for roman times? Cause I swear i ran in Caesar and those pesky romans in CoD2.

Bullshock did you get the email about the weapon problem im having using WCS EA?

On Topic:

Is there a limit to the level size, use of sound and the like. For example can i add my own voice sound's without having to release them since anyone can make a voice sound free of charge.

Tal
BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2006 20:58
Quote: " I think I found that in CoD 2, which is where I was transported to an alien planet. There I had to fight off alien hordes with futuristic weapons and insane spacecraft."

thats the one

Quote: "Bullshock did you get the email about the weapon problem im having using WCS EA?"

got it, and im working on it right now...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-07 21:29:47
Your offset time is: 2024-10-07 21:29:47