Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Pirates of Port Royale: New Thread

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2008 03:52
Quote: "Now we just need to see something about this 'Cops' concept of yours.

Edit: Sig Test.
"

Heh, that's about 4rd-5th on the priority list for now, so it will probably be a while, if at all . If anyone cares, my 5 top list of games and their priority is:
1) PoPR
2) Ancient Rome based on PoPR Engine
3) Modern Conflict
4) Cops
5) This is a hard one...tie between Ancient Egypt based on PoPR Engine and WWII FPS

Quote: "I eagerly await the next update."

Cool, I'll try to have one soon .

Quote: "I don't. I await Gil's Untitled articles. "

Well hopefully you won't have to await much longer .

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2008 22:19
UA:RW?  

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2008 22:40
looking good gil
Doug Hamilton
Years of Service
User Offline
Really enjoyed the video of the editor, very impressive. This project is truly inspiring. Keep it up!
Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2008 13:35
Very impressive! Nice editor.

SUPER BADASS SPACESHIP X: WEBSITE
FORUM TOPIC
Mercc1
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey Im new and hoping to get enough money so i can start the creator and stuff i love your game idea ^-^ any chance when i start game stuff with this program can you teaches me =P
Mercc1
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey awsome work id like to get making this stuff after i saved 70 bucks for it is it a download from internet or send a box program to make games ? oh any chance when i get making stuff could help me mr ol master with great knoledge ^-^
Mercc1
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh and i forgot to ask When i get good enough to help maybes can help you or could help me with some stuff i doubt ill be that good of a programmer at all but other stuff i think can do mainly like the buying shop and the fight system is almost like what i was thinking of i wanted to make a skill based medeival knight sword game and if skilled anough also make arrows and bows if could help me get started game creating lol sorry i just so excited to try make games >.< .
Mercc1
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok i see now but first sorry bout spam the first 2 i accidently made 2 posts were accident but i am going to be a modeler with the ac3d program i was going to see if i could join in your lil team maybe we can get done lil faster im new but i got good ideas i have a really good cutlass desing axe design and a pirate type gun but i dont know how to add textures or will texture dude make and add them ? please i hope to help so much =P
Mercc1
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok WOOOT My first model done and i seen your previous axe and tried make it more realistic if would like heres the pics tell me if you like if so ill send it on over but i need to know the way i need to send it and how and stuff sence im new =P

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Mercc1
Years of Service
User Offline
CRAP idk if im doing the modeling right can you maybe whisper back and send me info on how send it to you and could you test and see if it works ? its the axe ?? please
Mercc1
Years of Service
User Offline
By Any chance could i please have a copy of your world editor >.< i trying to make a game but i no goo at coding so i dont know how make world editor and yours looks best
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2008 23:27
Quote: "UA:RW? "

Doesn't count, I don't consider it mine .

@Everyone else who posted:
Thanks, glad y'all are liking it .

Quote: "Hey Im new and hoping to get enough money so i can start the creator and stuff i love your game idea ^-^ any chance when i start game stuff with this program can you teaches me =P"

Yes, I'll help you out, but please don't spam my thread, use the edit button or email me.

Quote: "Oh and i forgot to ask When i get good enough to help maybes can help you or could help me with some stuff i doubt ill be that good of a programmer at all but other stuff i think can do mainly like the buying shop and the fight system is almost like what i was thinking of i wanted to make a skill based medeival knight sword game and if skilled anough also make arrows and bows if could help me get started game creating lol sorry i just so excited to try make games >.< ."

I'll help you learn the concepts that will allow you to do that, but I won't do it for you.

Quote: "Ok i see now but first sorry bout spam the first 2 i accidently made 2 posts were accident but i am going to be a modeler with the ac3d program i was going to see if i could join in your lil team maybe we can get done lil faster im new but i got good ideas i have a really good cutlass desing axe design and a pirate type gun but i dont know how to add textures or will texture dude make and add them ? please i hope to help so much =P"

Texturing depends on the program you use.

Quote: "By Any chance could i please have a copy of your world editor >.< i trying to make a game but i no goo at coding so i dont know how make world editor and yours looks best"

Even if I gave it to you, it only works with the PoPR Engine, you won't be able to make your own games with it. And noone is any good at coding when they first start, you have to learn like everyone else. Now, any more questions email me, don't spam again.

@Everyone: Ok, here's a status update. Sorry I haven't posted in a while, I was gone for a week skiing, spent a week working on other projects, and with PoPR I am having to force my way through programming the world editor menus for the new talk system, because I hate doing menu stuff . I'll probably get it done this weekend and will post a new video.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2008 06:02 Edited at: 5th Apr 2008 06:18
NEW VIDEO AND UPDATE
Hey, after about 4-5 hours every day bug squashing and optimizing PoPR, I've finally got a video up that is basically just a summation of most all the features of the game so that they aren't spread out across 12 months of development time and 12 different videos . No new content yet, the talk system is still not changed yet, I'm hoping to do that this weekend and/or next week. I've captioned it with comments and done music again, since that seemed to get a good response last time. Let me know what you think .

High Quality (RECOMMENDED)

YouTube

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2008 06:20
Feels like Morrowind, in a way, (not like it's heavily disappointing sequel, Oblivion, or its bland predecessor, Daggerfall). Of course it doesn't mean you'll equal that game, but hey, the feel is important and this game feels in-depth. Always good for free-roaming games.

I lolled three times.

Data
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2008 06:44 Edited at: 5th Apr 2008 06:48
Looks awesome lol I love the song btw, I kept the video running over and over just to hear it

EDIT: btw what's the name of the song and artist?

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2008 06:53 Edited at: 5th Apr 2008 06:55
Quote: "Feels like Morrowind, in a way, (not like it's heavily disappointing sequel, Oblivion, or its bland predecessor, Daggerfall). Of course it doesn't mean you'll equal that game, but hey, the feel is important and this game feels in-depth. Always good for free-roaming games."

Thanks, I'll take that as a compliment .

Quote: "I lolled three times."

Woot!

Quote: "Looks awesome lol I love the song btw, I kept the video running over and over just to hear it "

Thanks . Song is Shadow of the Day by Linkin Park, lol, it's mentioned in the video twice, once in the credits and once in the intro .

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2008 07:17
Wow, I never appreciated how much is in this game until that video. It really displays your progress.

What's next on the agenda?

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2008 07:28
Quote: "Wow, I never appreciated how much is in this game until that video. It really displays your progress.
"

Thanks . I really wanted to lay it all out there at once (or most of it at least) in one video .

Next is improving the talk system to include dynamic responses and topics and in certain cases, NPC's initiating conversation. After that, probably switching the camera collision system to Sparky's from DarkPhysics (because it's much faster) as part of optimization of the engine, and then AI and quest functions .

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2008 08:52
Very good mate, top notch video, this project is coming along brilliantly.

"Experience never provides its judgments with true or strict universality; but only (through induction) with assumed and comparative universality." - Immanuel Kant
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2008 10:07
Just amazing!

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it was too big
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2008 12:30
Sounds like you did a good job Gil. I'm DL'ing video as I type this - unfortunately I have been working like a dog coding for work so I haven't been able to work on Iron Infantry much myself - but I digress.

Did I read above that Sparky's Collision faster than DarkPhysics? Does this hold true for RayCasting also?

Thanx in advance.... Oh and Linkin Park igood music LOL

nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2008 14:53
Really nice Gil, I like how this project is coming along.

Footsteps W.I.P
Trala'em Goes Oblivion (TES IV Mod)
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2008 15:34
Linkin Park (L).

Gil at least got his taste in something right.

Data
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2008 18:11
Quote: "Thanks . Song is Shadow of the Day by Linkin Park, lol, it's mentioned in the video twice, once in the credits and once in the intro ."

Well now I feel stupid but thanks! and keep up the good work

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2008 18:44 Edited at: 5th Apr 2008 18:46
Quote: "Very good mate, top notch video, this project is coming along brilliantly."

Quote: "Just amazing!"

Thanks a lot .

Quote: "Sounds like you did a good job Gil. I'm DL'ing video as I type this - unfortunately I have been working like a dog coding for work so I haven't been able to work on Iron Infantry much myself - but I digress."

Heh, well I have a lot of time on my hands (for now, at least ), so I can get quite a bit done if I really want to . Let me know what you think of the video when you watch it.

Quote: "Did I read above that Sparky's Collision faster than DarkPhysics? Does this hold true for RayCasting also?"

I'm not sure DP even does raycasting, does it? If it does, then I would guess so, it's a lot faster than the native DBP commands as well. It takes about 20 seconds right now to setup the small amount of terrain that I have so far with collision for DP, and about 1-2 seconds for Sparky's, lol.

Quote: "Thanx in advance.... Oh and Linkin Park igood music LOL "

Lol, yeah .

Quote: "Really nice Gil, I like how this project is coming along."

Thanks, it's good to see I have so many supporters for it .

Quote: "Linkin Park (L).

Gil at least got his taste in something right. "

My taste is always right, it's just rarely that your taste is right to match my taste .

Quote: "Well now I feel stupid but thanks! and keep up the good work "

Lol, no problem .

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Gil:When you start off the polishing I will help out. Back on topic: NICE WORK! I love the idea of everything being interactive, like the tree's being cutable and be able to mine stuff.

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks great! only complaint is you didn't use that terrain feature of yours too much, the place was flat, except for that one hill. Also, I recommend fading in to, and out of black when entering/exiting a building, you can see everything load up currently.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2008 19:38
Quote: "Gil:When you start off the polishing I will help out. Back on topic: NICE WORK! I love the idea of everything being interactive, like the tree's being cutable and be able to mine stuff."

Ok, great, and thanks .

Quote: "Looks great! only complaint is you didn't use that terrain feature of yours too much, the place was flat, except for that one hill. Also, I recommend fading in to, and out of black when entering/exiting a building, you can see everything load up currently."

Yeah, it's just that right now the NPC AI doesnt' really like hills, so I try to avoid them as much as possible . And yeah, good idea with fading to black, I'll have to do that.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2008 07:52 Edited at: 6th Apr 2008 07:53
Well, with some inspiration and help from Umbra, I've learned that a simple retexturing and some nice lighting of a model can make a huge difference. The following models are almost identical in polygons and only about a .2 second difference in loading time:

Original:

Retextured:

Hopefully Umbra and I will be able to make all the buildings and models improved by this much, because this is definitely a great style that fits the game and keeps poly count low.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2008 11:07
That looks really cool indeed. What did u use to make the lightining?

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it was too big
draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2008 17:48
impressive retexture I also liked the vid, nice to see a little town built up instead of just a single building. Cant wait to see more!
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2008 18:12
Quote: "That looks really cool indeed. What did u use to make the lightining?"

I'ts all done in 3DWS .

Quote: "impressive retexture I also liked the vid, nice to see a little town built up instead of just a single building. Cant wait to see more! "

Thanks .

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2008 18:25
I could write a long post here, but I think Gil probably understands what I'm trying to say with this impressively wordy post:

Woot.

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2008 18:35 Edited at: 6th Apr 2008 18:36
I can see this being a shining example of RPGs made with DBPro.(Even though it was at first.)

Umbra
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks for letting me help out gil
Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
That is an amazing improvement. If you can make all the buildings that good, PoPR will look as professional as the programming behind it.

5867Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
OMG. I only watched around 6 seconds of video and thought WOW. This is truely one of the best games made with DBPro if not the best.
And that retexture and lighting make one heck of a diffrence

Was Cool Kid
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2008 20:33
Quote: "I can see this being a shining example of RPGs made with DBPro.(Even though it was at first.)"

Thanks .

Quote: "thanks for letting me help out gil"

Lol, I should be thanking you for the awesome textures .

Quote: "That is an amazing improvement. If you can make all the buildings that good, PoPR will look as professional as the programming behind it."

Thanks, hopefully they will all look that good .

Quote: "OMG. I only watched around 6 seconds of video and thought WOW. This is truely one of the best games made with DBPro if not the best.
And that retexture and lighting make one heck of a diffrence"

Thanks a lot .

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2008 01:37 Edited at: 7th Apr 2008 01:37
Gil feels bad doubleposting, so he asked me to post here. Unfortunately for him, I couldn't figure out anything better to post than this. My apologies to anyone annoyed by this, blame Gil. On the other hand, this allows him to post an update to this wonderful project, so thank me. The result: Blame Gil, thank me .

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2008 01:41 Edited at: 8th Apr 2008 03:21
I have no idea what Rami is talking about, he's obviosly rambling on again . But, coincidentally, I do have a small update, I've (with the help of Umbra again) retextured the shipyard now.

Original:

Retextured:

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2008 01:42
What an extreme coincidence, Gil! Never expected this to happen!

Admittedly, wow.

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2008 01:50
wow.... and I'm not talking about the graphics... No need to fear a double post in YOUR OWN WIP! Boy, you're hearts are in the right place though!

As for the GFX - Stellar. I personally like the one I can make out the wood grained planks - very refined looking to me.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2008 01:54
Quote: "wow.... and I'm not talking about the graphics... No need to fear a double post in YOUR OWN WIP! Boy, you're hearts are in the right place though!"

Lol, I don't mind after about a day, but if it's only a few hours, I generally feel bad and don't want people onto me about it, even though I know that many people wouldn't look at the edit .

Quote: "As for the GFX - Stellar. I personally like the one I can make out the wood grained planks - very refined looking to me."

Thanks .

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Woot! Looks nice, though I want some in game pics!

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2008 04:31 Edited at: 7th Apr 2008 04:37
Quote: "Woot! Looks nice, though I want some in game pics!"

Thanks, well when I get more objects and all the buildings converted, I'll probably post up a video of them in game .

So I have a question for all of you, because I'm curious. I haven't quite decided yet how I'm going to release the product. I know that I want a demo version, but I don't know how much I want in that demo version or how to restrict it. And then I want a version that you would buy, but I don't know what extras it would have and how much to sell it for. So I really have two questions: How would you suggest I distribute it, what restrictions should the demo have? Second, how much would you be willing to pay for 5 professions, about 12 quests each (I would venture to guess that would be about 12+ hours gameplay), with the updated graphics? Like I said, I'm going to have a free version no matter what, so even if you tell me $30, that doesn't mean I'll sell it for that much . I don't even know if I want a version that you have to buy.

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
How about a timed demo with a few quests, so the demo isn't really "do whatever you want" type of thing, just a few quests.

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2008 05:10
I think one or two quests - not to easy - not to hard - with limited "walk about" - make those quests doable in the "starter town" and maybe a few fights outside - but again - not let them go too far.. save the other stuff for the pay game. But I would make a theatrical "finish" for the first or second quest - whatever you allow - to entice them to continue one. Try to get them feeling like they are making progress - and let them get the joys of completing a few things - to help entice them to want to continue on. Add screen shots of where their next quest will take them etc.

5867Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
I think that is a good idea with the limited places etc.
To be honest I would buy this game for £15/$30 definatly.

Was Cool Kid
draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2008 11:54
for what you mentioned id pay $20, throw in some epic landmass to explore and ill make it $30

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 14:53:34
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 14:53:34