Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Pirates of Port Royale: New Thread

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2008 21:39 Edited at: 19th Jan 2008 21:48
Quote: "I've got faith that they will be, though."

Lol, don't . They will be as amazing as they can be with a large world in DBP while maintaining 60FPS. It's ALWAYS gameplay over graphics .

BTW, you made the 450th post Rami, you win a new console, here it is:

DrewG
Years of Service
User Offline
DON'T CHANGE THE GRAPHICS AT ALL!!!! THEY LOOK AWESOME, KEEP IT THAT WAY... [/b]

Thanks to BigAdd for the signature!
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2008 21:45 Edited at: 19th Jan 2008 21:47
Thanks Gil. Have a high quality render of a skull and bones:

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2008 22:50
Woohoo... combat finally!! It's getting better all the time.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2008 08:01
The graphics don't have to be great and high poly or anything, but they certainly need to be enticing, or the gameplay wont matter nearly as much. Basically the graphics have to be good in the way the the game has to be interesting to look at, not necessarily realistic or high poly.

btw, nice new vid you've got there. The combat looks like it still needs work, but seeing it there at all is great, and I like that it seems to involve lots of blocking. The horse was cool to. Will you have to get one, or can you just ride any horse like in AC?

Superman wears Chuck Norris PJ's
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2008 17:27
Quote: "The graphics don't have to be great and high poly or anything, but they certainly need to be enticing, or the gameplay wont matter nearly as much. Basically the graphics have to be good in the way the the game has to be interesting to look at, not necessarily realistic or high poly."

Yeah, hopefully they will improve, but like I said, just depends on how much stress DBP wants to take with such a large world . I'll of course (and already am) use tricks to keep the FPS up (separating interiors and exteriors, hiding objects after certain distance/fog, LoD, etc.). Like I've said, I always accept better (and more) models .

Quote: "btw, nice new vid you've got there. The combat looks like it still needs work, but seeing it there at all is great, and I like that it seems to involve lots of blocking. The horse was cool to. Will you have to get one, or can you just ride any horse like in AC?"

Thanks, yeah, combat is still in it's early stages .

The horse will be like AC in the fact that you can get on any horse, but it won't be like AC in the fact that noone cares if you take a random horse. It will be like Oblivion where you can buy one to ride legally without anyone caring, or if you steal one then people (and guards) won't be too happy .

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2008 08:37
Looking really good!
Sent you an email!

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2008 16:45
Quote: "It will be like Oblivion where you can buy one to ride legally without anyone caring, or if you steal one then people (and guards) won't be too happy"

Heh, reminds me of my first time playing Oblivion... oh hey, a horse! Let's ride it! Hey you!!! omg.... RUN!!!!

Definitely work on gameplay and then make a unique graphics style. Also, does this game have some sort of story line? I mean, it must being an RPG, but I don't think we've seen it yet.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2008 17:29
I think the story line would be "You're a pirate..."

And personally, I'd like that. Actually, you made me curious now. Hey Gil, you planning for a storyline?

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2008 18:20 Edited at: 21st Jan 2008 18:28
Quote: "Looking really good!
Sent you an email!
"

Thanks and replied .

Quote: "Heh, reminds me of my first time playing Oblivion... oh hey, a horse! Let's ride it! Hey you!!! omg.... RUN!!!!"

Lol .

Quote: "Definitely work on gameplay and then make a unique graphics style. Also, does this game have some sort of story line? I mean, it must being an RPG, but I don't think we've seen it yet."

Yeah, there's a lot of stuff still to be done. Not sure if I'm going to go for a specific graphics style other than just realistic. If anyone has any suggestions (or even better, models ), let me know. As for the story, Cian Rice was writing one for it a while ago, but I'm not sure how far he got or if he is planning on finishing. If not, I may just come up with something, although obviously following the story won't be mandatory. If anyone really wants to write a story for it (I'll check if Cian is still writing), then I'd be glad to accept one (with approval, of course).

Quote: "I think the story line would be "You're a pirate...""

Heh, yeah, the game mainly is going to revolve around doing whatever you want (ie: pirate), and/or choosing and completing quests from any of the 5 professions (blacksmith, doctor, lawyer, soldier, governor). You would also be able to make your own profession like merchant by just finding where prices are cheaper and more expensive and moving around goods like that.

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2008 00:29
True, a story doesn't really fit into the whole do what you want gameplay. If I think of a good story, I'll let you know. But it's not necessary for your game.

Quote: "I think the story line would be "You're a pirate...""

Yar har yar har... you are a pirate... do what you want cause a pirate is free...

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2008 17:08 Edited at: 10th Feb 2008 17:08
Just wanted to bump this to let everyone know how things are going. I took about a 2 weeks off from working on PoPR after finishing combat, which I like to do every couple months . Then last weekend and this week I've started working on it again.

I added the functionality of pistols in combat (I say functionality because they work but the model is a placeholder of comparable quality to my horse, there's no sound, and as of now it's semi-automatic ). I've ordered plant-life, so hopefully that will let me create decent plants for the game.

If you remember the mining and cutting video that shows my system of gathering resources, this kind of system will carry over through many aspects in the game, for example to harvest a plant you walk up to it and hit "spacebar" to harvest it. To fill a container with water, you equip the container, find a water source (ie: a fountain) and click to fill it with water.

I've also added a few more models-a fountain, two food items (ham bone and bread loaf, made by ), a small container, medicine, and two smaller boats (not ships) made by Celsius Zero (old modeler).

As always, I'm open to free models (I especially need a decent pistol and horse right now ).

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2008 19:43
Quote: "As for the story, Cian Rice was writing one for it a while ago, but I'm not sure how far he got or if he is planning on finishing. If not, I may just come up with something, although obviously following the story won't be mandatory. If anyone really wants to write a story for it (I'll check if Cian is still writing), then I'd be glad to accept one (with approval, of course)."

Ever since I first saw this in WIP I've been wanting to contribute, I let you guys down as a modeller (wow that was a long time a go now I think about it) so woohoo my time to shine...In other words, if Cian doesn't get back, I'd be happy to try and come up with something - I might ask what sort of thing you've had in mind.

Quote: "made by Celsius Zero (old modeler)."

Not seen that guy in ages, he still around?

Exit Pursued by man-bear-pig
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2008 20:27
Quote: "Quote: "As for the story, Cian Rice was writing one for it a while ago, but I'm not sure how far he got or if he is planning on finishing. If not, I may just come up with something, although obviously following the story won't be mandatory. If anyone really wants to write a story for it (I'll check if Cian is still writing), then I'd be glad to accept one (with approval, of course)."

Ever since I first saw this in WIP I've been wanting to contribute, I let you guys down as a modeller (wow that was a long time a go now I think about it) so woohoo my time to shine...In other words, if Cian doesn't get back, I'd be happy to try and come up with something - I might ask what sort of thing you've had in mind."

Let me email Cian, I haven't heard from him in a while. Even if he's still working on it, feel free to come up with something, I'll see if I can tie both of them together or use both somehow . Honestly, I don't have anything in mind, the story is more to satisfy those people who want one, the main focus of the game will be on doing whatever you want, not the story, but I know some people like stories so by making one the game will hopefully appeal to more people . And you didn't let me down with the modeling, indie game creation is a come and go deal .

Quote: "Not seen that guy in ages, he still around?"

Yup, I talk to him on IM every once in a while, he goes by The Samurai on here now:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=view_profile&i=0be1e1449bfa04be3225e4546d14d465

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2008 20:41
I know he's the Samurai, I just don't think I've seen him around since Rush (shame that was a failed project)

Quote: "Let me email Cian, I haven't heard from him in a while. Even if he's still working on it, feel free to come up with something, I'll see if I can tie both of them together or use both somehow . Honestly, I don't have anything in mind, the story is more to satisfy those people who want one, the main focus of the game will be on doing whatever you want, not the story, but I know some people like stories so by making one the game will hopefully appeal to more people . And you didn't let me down with the modeling, indie game creation is a come and go deal"

K cool, I'll try and catch him on MSN or GMail messenger (I've not seen him online in a while, but then I don't exactly get on MSN much these days) and see if we can collaberate If you're doing one of these Oblivion-quest like things (this is the feeling I've had from watching its progress), then no doubt it'd be possible to have separate stories that work together.

Exit Pursued by man-bear-pig
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2008 04:59 Edited at: 11th Feb 2008 17:43
Quote: "I'll try and catch him on MSN or GMail messenger (I've not seen him online in a while, but then I don't exactly get on MSN much these days) and see if we can collaberate If you're doing one of these Oblivion-quest like things (this is the feeling I've had from watching its progress), then no doubt it'd be possible to have separate stories that work together."

Yeah, I haven't seen him on in a while either. Yeah, Oblivion is a main inspiration for PoPR, and the quests will be somewhat like Oblivion .

NEW VIDEO

Ok, although it doesn't have a whole lot, I've decided to make a new video showing off the plants I've made so far with plantlife and a few other new models, as well as crafting a bottle of medicine (the bottle models are all temporary, fear not ). I'll attach the high quality version to the post and upload it here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?c9yd9d32dxy and YouTube is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_CU8x1ocCY

I suggest you watch the high quality version, but I know people are lazy and would rather watch it immediately . Ignore the framerate jumps, it's fraps' fault . A screenshot to entice you to download:

Enjoy! I know the video isn't much this time, but it's better than a bunch of pictures, in my opinion .

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2008 06:22
Very nice. This is comming alone quite well. Will you have plant collision, or have it bend out of the way? It's not important right now, but it's a good level of polish and would be added durring the editor stage I'd think.

BlockVerse-> Old School Beta Demo-> Dream-> Old School-> Guitar Platformer
Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2008 06:25
All I can say is bloody AWESOME!!!

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2008 07:03
Quote: "Very nice. This is comming alone quite well. Will you have plant collision, or have it bend out of the way? It's not important right now, but it's a good level of polish and would be added durring the editor stage I'd think."

Definitely not collision, or it would get quite annoying walking through the jungle . I may slow movement through them and/or bend them, if I can figure out an effective and easy way to do it .

Quote: "All I can say is bloody AWESOME!!!"

Thanks .

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2008 07:26
Quote: "Definitely not collision, or it would get quite annoying walking through the jungle . I may slow movement through them and/or bend them, if I can figure out an effective and easy way to do it ."

The slowing down is good idea.. But can you add limb as bone and rotate that?

Click For Details!
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2008 17:42
Quote: "The slowing down is good idea.. But can you add limb as bone and rotate that?"

You mean for the bending? Not sure, it may eat up the FPS too much, we'll have to see, that will be a polish issue .

YouTube decided to cooperate, so here's the video from there, I'll post in the original post too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_CU8x1ocCY

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2008 18:09
Yes for bending.. Tho i dont know how speedy vertex data commands are so those can be used aswell but myself i would prefer bone rotation :/

Click For Details!
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Blegh. Seppuku my dear friend, you may write the story. I've just been too damn busy to make a coherent story that doesn't dip into the realms of fantasy, plus I've been in hospital.

Will you bite the hand that feeds?
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2008 02:05
Quote: "Blegh. Seppuku my dear friend, you may write the story. I've just been too damn busy to make a coherent story that doesn't dip into the realms of fantasy, plus I've been in hospital."

Heh, don't worry about it. Hope everything's okay, haven't heard from you in a while .

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2008 21:52 Edited at: 20th Feb 2008 00:16
NEW VIDEO AND UPDATE
Ok, I've made a video that shows the "evolution of a map" from the world editor to the game engine. Not all of this is new, but you haven't seen most of the world editor stuff yet. I've commentated (with text) the video this time in an attempt to make it slightly more interesting as well as explain what's going on in parts. Here is the high quality download:
High Quality

YouTube.

High quality is better though, I suggest you watch it if you don't mind the 20 second download time . Please comment, hope you enjoy it.

By the way, as a side note, I've been having problems when I pause or do anything with the video while it's playing in Windows Media Player, so I don't know if that's the video's fault or just WMP being stupid.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2008 23:43
Dude, you are amazing. That was... wow. That was extremely impressive.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2008 23:59
Quote: "Dude, you are amazing. That was... wow. That was extremely impressive."

Thanks a lot .

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2008 00:08
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2008 00:15
Quote: "@Gil - Looking good - I'm already a fan!"

Great, thanks . YouTube is up, I'll post it here and above, but I suggest watching the high quality anyways .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG6ExAB0N9A

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2008 00:36
I didn't bother with the low res at all - went right for the mega download. Looks good.

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2008 00:36 Edited at: 20th Feb 2008 00:36
I've known about this project and watched some videos for a while now, but didn't realize you were making an elaborate editor. That is really impressive. Well done!

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2008 01:08
Quote: "I've known about this project and watched some videos for a while now, but didn't realize you were making an elaborate editor. That is really impressive. Well done!"

Thanks .

Quote: "I didn't bother with the low res at all - went right for the mega download. Looks good.
"

Heh, cool, especially with this vid, the low res isn't near as good cause you can't read all the text .

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
You already know what I think. =)

But the terrain painting is fantastic!

Will you bite the hand that feeds?
Jerok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2008 05:02
Very cool.

Looks like you've put alot of work into this, and the results look completely worth it.
draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2008 08:41
looking better every time i check this thread
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2008 09:21
That video was absolutely hilarious. I laughed most of it, but at the same time, must applaud you. That is one of the most advanced editors I've seen around, and as far as I understand, its just starting to fall into place just now. Awesome work.

Just you wait until the next OC video . Or the next Untitled, for that matter.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2008 15:17
Quote: "You already know what I think. =)

But the terrain painting is fantastic!"

Heh, yeah, thanks .

Quote: "Very cool.

Looks like you've put alot of work into this, and the results look completely worth it."

Thanks, yeah, it's definitely worth it, and I enjoy the work I put into it anyways, or I wouldn't be doing it .

Quote: "ooking better every time i check this thread "

Thanks, glad you are liking the game .

Quote: "That video was absolutely hilarious. I laughed most of it, but at the same time, must applaud you. That is one of the most advanced editors I've seen around, and as far as I understand, its just starting to fall into place just now. Awesome work."

Lol, glad you liked the crappy humor I tried to put into it . And thanks .

Quote: "Just you wait until the next OC video . Or the next Untitled, for that matter."

Crap, I knew it, but you still have to get me back for pwning you in the combat video first .

Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2008 23:31
That video was as delicious as my Tri-Tip.

Your editor shows how much work you have put into this. More and more this is coming together like a massive puzzle. Excellent work my friend.

Support the indie!
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2008 03:29
Quote: "That video was as delicious as my Tri-Tip.

Your editor shows how much work you have put into this. More and more this is coming together like a massive puzzle. Excellent work my friend."
\
Heh, thanks .

Terrain height is now editable, with options for raising, flattening, resetting, and making a plateau for a single point or 3x3 point, as well as smoothing for 3x3 points. You can also texture faster by 3x3 points.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2008 04:14
Sounds great. With this kind of editor you should have no trouble making a huge world.

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Brilliant. Do you plan using this editor for future projects? Or even releasing it to the public? It's stunning, I expected something a lot simpler.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2008 04:56
Quote: "Sounds great. With this kind of editor you should have no trouble making a huge world."

Thanks, yeah, my only technical problem now is keeping the load times low when I get such a large world, which shouldn't be too difficult to solve by just breaking it into segments .

Quote: "Brilliant. Do you plan using this editor for future projects? Or even releasing it to the public? It's stunning, I expected something a lot simpler."

Thanks, yeah, I plan on making a sort of series out of the PoPR engine and editor based on various periods of time. My next project will be Ancient Rome, since I love that time period, and love the Roman Empire . Ancient Egypt, Medieval, primitive man, ancient Japan, and possibly doing something like Atlantis are other possibilities.

nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2008 08:17
Love the editor! It's brilliant! Love the way this project is getting along. Editing the book is so simple, compared to most editors, and so are the character editor.

Footsteps W.I.P
Trala'em Goes Oblivion (TES IV Mod)
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2008 21:45
Quote: "Love the editor! It's brilliant! Love the way this project is getting along. Editing the book is so simple, compared to most editors, and so are the character editor.
"

Thanks, yeah, I want to keep things simple and easy to use, unlike many editors .

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2008 00:51
Awesome. The editor seems really easy, unlike some editors out there...

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2008 21:11
Quote: "Awesome. The editor seems really easy, unlike some editors out there..."

Thanks, yeah, I want to keep the editor simple but powerful.

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2008 01:44 Edited at: 26th Feb 2008 01:46
Now we just need to see something about this 'Cops' concept of yours.

Edit: Sig Test.

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
I eagerly await the next update.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2008 02:13
As do I.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2008 02:31
I don't. I await Gil's Untitled articles.

Okay, okay, I admit. I'm waiting for the new update, too.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 06:20:11
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 06:20:11