Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / BlackOut : Open Source FPS

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2006 15:38 Edited at: 7th Apr 2006 15:50

For those who haven't visited our original thread (click here), BlackOut is an open source First Person Shooter. It is a project that is open for anyone and everyone to help. Over the past year or so the project has accumulated:

* Over 60 3D Models
* Over 10000 lines of source code
* Many music tracks and sound effects.

I've lost count of how many people have helped make the project what it is, some people just made a model and said goodbye, others worked much longer term on the project, but either way thanks to everyone who has contributed.

Moving on, now the BlackOut project has a brand spanking new website, thanks to Kenjar. The new http://www.blackoutgame.co.uk will now be the central place for all people to gather all thoughts, ideas, media, and code for the project, so head on down there and post anything you like in the new forum. It's pretty empty at the moment, so we need a few visitors .

Click here to create a BlackOut website/forum account

Click here to visit the forum

Visit the website for source code, media and exe download links.

All media for the project is on the website, in the File Manager. 3D models, levels, characters, music can all be downloaded from one central place. Please note that all media and code contributed to the project is available under the GPL (General Public Licence):

The website also has a Wiki. Unfortunately the content of the Wiki was recently lost and so there aren't many guidelines for the project at the moment. But no big deal, these things happen, if you have any queries just post on the website forum.

As it stands, the project is now a fairly solid FPS engine. However there is nothing really unique about it. So now really the question is:

WHAT DO YOU WANT THIS PROJECT TO BE?

What gameplay elements should it have? What features could be improved on? What do you want in a FPS? You don't have to be able to code or create media to be involved, ideas are essential to the developement of BlackOut; without them the game will be un-inspired, boring to play, and have generally run-of-the-mill average gameplay.

This is a community project, it needs ideas from the community, so visit the forum and get your input into the development.

Just to give everyone the general idea, the current features of the project are:

- Basic FPS control (move, jump, shoot, reload).
- Bullet-based weapons.
- Real-time physics using Newton.
- Flexible file systems, hardly any features like levels, objects and weapons are hardcoded.
- Basic online deathmatch functionality. Run around and shoot and kill other players. Person with the highest score wins.

Here are various screens to give everyone an idea of the current state of development.

Cheers,
BlackOut Team

More Images
http://www.changi.f9.co.uk/Blackout/Screens/barrel.jpg
http://www.changi.f9.co.uk/Blackout/Screens/glock17.jpg
http://www.changi.f9.co.uk/Blackout/Screens/grenade.jpg
http://www.changi.f9.co.uk/Blackout/Screens/grenadeLauncher.png
http://www.changi.f9.co.uk/Blackout/Screens/human.jpg
http://www.changi.f9.co.uk/Blackout/Screens/uzi.jpg
http://www.changi.f9.co.uk/Blackout/Screens/hand.jpg

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2006 17:12
Excellent. Guess it's about time to turn my sights back to music for this project then...

And btw, the source for this project has helped me out a couple of times - the console code, for example, and general good-coding-habits

I am but mad north north-west; when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw - Hamlet, Hamlet
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2006 22:46
I might get started on that AI system I mentioned a while ago if I get some time this weekend, but if that doesnt work out I was working on a pretty functional vehicle system a couple of months back, I could grab that and finish it off if you'd like, just wondering if there's any plans for vehicles in this game. If there is, do you want the driving to be first person or third? (The functions could easily allow you to set that just wondering).

- RUC'

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2006 23:14
Anything you can come up with would be great ruccus, just post anything to do with it on the new forum. I've posted a poll on the website with regards to the vehicle situation. By the way, if you could follow the style of coding currently used in the source it would be helpful, but if you have already written the source code, or want to use it for other things I understand if you want to keep it in your own style.

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2006 23:19 Edited at: 5th Apr 2006 23:20
This project sure is coming along Hamish and all. Keep up the great work!

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly Yellow)
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2006 23:20 Edited at: 5th Apr 2006 23:32
Lol, the other one isn't stickied anyway, and I'm not sure it's worthy of a sticky really, not until we get a proper demo out at least .

EDIT

Lol, fair enough.

Drew the G
User Banned
Posted: 6th Apr 2006 00:11
Great Job.
Sooo, can people online see other people online yet.
Milkman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2006 00:14
The online code has bugs as of right now I believe, and Hamish is trying to sort that out.

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2006 00:38
Yeah, a mix of bugs in the code, and bugs in Tempest, the multiplayer the code uses. As for people seeing other people, you could do that ages ago, it's just making it so people can shoot and kill each other online that is proving a problem, although that was in a bug free state also at one time. Adding solid code for starting new games brought on the bugs, but I'm slowly getting there, so hold on.

Black Mesa
Years of Service
User Offline
After I get some more coding under my belt and finish my first little games Id love to help you guys out. I love participating in projects like this because I can concentrate on one area and not have to worry about other things. Good luck and I hope to help you soon.
Flindiana Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2006 03:14
hmmm...maybe a gun bash function would be nice? Or even a bayonet, for if you run out of ammo. Just a thought...always wanted to be able to do that.

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120...
Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2006 03:46
the gun bash thing would be easy,really all you would do is act as if they were bullets and use the newton ray cast functions,but instead of the usual long range of bullets,just use a ray cast that stops a little bit in front of the player,then deal damage to the hit enemy.

all ben needs is his band,his guitar,and his computer...
and his dead little power puff girls...
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2006 03:57 Edited at: 6th Apr 2006 03:59
Alright I might be able to get a snippet done tomorrow , as far as the style of code goes Ill check out the current source but there could be too much of a difference, it's indented, inside a function so no problem with variable names, as efficient as I can get, and commented, not sure what else there is but like I said we'll see.

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2006 03:58
Along with an extra animation for each gun... like in Halo. Nothin' like bashing puny grunts with the backside of your pistol. And it'd be even better if you took that same pistol and strapped a 12 inch knife on the barrel.

I am but mad north north-west; when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw - Hamlet, Hamlet
granada
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2006 19:26
Just a point guys if its open source.where is the link.I seem to remember only a couple of links before (just the exe !! ).There again this could just be me .

Dave

Windows XP Home 2002 Service Pack 2,1AMD Athlon(tm)XP 3200+ Barton 2.20 GHz ,1 GB of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 256MB DDR
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2006 13:15
Hey Dave, there are links on the website, both on the front page and in the forum. Just to clear things up I've added a comment onto the first post.

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2006 13:28
Hamish,

I realise this is a pain, but is there any chance you can send me the fire extinguisher model, in .X format with textures to drewcameron@ddrw.com

The reason being I need a fire extinguisher model, and I saw one in some screenshots or somewhere once - but I couldn't find it in the current builds media directory.

The project looks great by the way: I checked out the Kasbah and that level demo Megaton threw together; if you'd like I can offer some sound effects, music or particle effects? Let me know.

Drew Cameron

Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2006 13:36
Hamish General public license is that free for commercial or non commercial use with royaltys? because i downloaded some of the media for a game i'm making

Theme park simulator wip

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2006 13:44 Edited at: 7th Apr 2006 15:58
Drew, look in the file manager. I just uploaded it (I thought I had uploaded it but it seems not).

As for your offers, we could use any of those at the moment, but sound effects would probably be the most urgent! Thanks for any help you can give.

And the GPL means you can use anything for commercial and non-commercial purposes, so long as you don't try to pass the work off as your own, and mention the original author, or at least the project as a whole.

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2006 20:16 Edited at: 7th Apr 2006 20:17
Okay Hamish, if you could give me perhaps a list of any sounds you want and I'll see what I can do!

Thankyou for the Fire Extinguisher model!

Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2006 20:32 Edited at: 7th Apr 2006 21:23
Quote: "And the GPL means you can use anything for commercial and non-commercial purposes, so long as you don't try to pass the work off as your own, and mention the original author, or at least the project as a whole."

Thanks i'll be using the gun models in my project
Edit:
Can i add some stuff for blackout?

Theme park simulator wip

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2006 22:01
The website is there for a reason people .

The list of sounds suggestions is on the wiki:

Todo List

Sunrise, you don't need to ask, this is a community project. I quote what I said in the initial post:

Quote: "BlackOut is an open source First Person Shooter. It is a project that is open for anyone and everyone to help."

The question is, what do you want to give for the project? Again, the todo list is a good place to start. If you mean in terms of media, then anything first person shooter-like is good. I will try to put up suggestions for media, but I'm not really the best person to ask.

Other people need to start giving ideas and input into the development of the game. At the moment I feel that I am the only one who is having much input into which direction the game goes in, but I want everyone to be involved, which is what I'm trying to promote with the new website.

Join the BlackOut Forum Today
Milkman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2006 22:43
Since I'll be contributing to Black Out soon, I'll give my suggestion for the direction of the project. I think making Black Out an objective based team fps would be great. It would be hard, but it's possible.

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2006 22:57
What do you mean by objective based? Do you mean having 'mission' modes where for example one team has to guard various places, and the other team has to attack them for example? Certainly sounds like an interesting idea that we can take further.

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2006 23:21
You could just head the route of a dbp version of UT -> deathmatch, teammatch, ctf, assault, onslaught, etc. That's what I'd like to see, and that way it pretty much covers all the options

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2006 23:31
Yeah I think deathmatch, team deathmatch, capture the flag are givens, but I reckon some new ideas would be interesting, especially if they are fun to play.

Milkman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2006 02:43 Edited at: 8th Apr 2006 03:24
If you've ever played ET, you would know what I'm talking about. Offensive and defensive positions are what I mean, yes, but you also might have to blow up a wall, or steal a nuclear warhead, for instance. Would add a lot of playability to the game.

EDIT:

Ok, I had a good look at the site and the todo list. I'm attempting to compile the code right now, but I need to know what sound dll you use, Hamish. I'll then work on the message module, and maybe even attempt to fix those sliding problems.

dj blackdragon3710
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2006 03:42
Hmmm.ok....I got my school work situation figured out, anw what not, and was wondeirng if you would like some character sketches or what not. Let me know so I can get started ASAP.

<<<<<Used to be "djblackdragon" with being registered in January, 2003, no matter what it says on the left<<<<<
avenger 999
Years of Service
User Offline
looks cool but i got a "file does not exist at line 11254" error

batman: forgotten sins
http://go.hostlite.co.uk/fanfilms/forgotten/
ALPHA ZERO PRODUCTIONS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2006 19:13
wat yall tink ? its WIP ,

I'll b giving u guys a modified version of it . :-P

Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2006 19:23
Hey, great work with this project...
I can help out alittle if you want me to...I can make a
Message module
from the Daikanu Online code I have...if you want me too..
also I have a few sounds I made that may be of some use...
heres one in the download box...

Making better games everday!
Oh yeah and just so you know its Oh-nek-a not One-ka!

Attachments

Milkman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2006 19:28
I've already finished the basic message module. But it would be nice if someone could let me know what audio plugin the project uses!

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2006 20:51
@ALPHA ZERO PRODUCTIONS - Looking cool.
This project is starting to come along brilliantly.

[url]andrewneale2004@yahoo.com[/url]
http://www.elbsoftware.dbspot.com
ALPHA ZERO PRODUCTIONS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2006 20:57
thanx, yup

Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2006 01:14
Here's my first gun model can anyone teach how how to texture models like this please

Theme park simulator wip

Attachments

Milkman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2006 05:20
simple demonstration of message module:

Oddmind
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2006 07:58 Edited at: 9th Apr 2006 07:59
You can have this human model i made, your other one looks a bit unnatural. This ones ready for animation, I think i can hook it up to a skele in a day or two and have some decent anims. Heres a screeny, but ill wait and put a skeleton on him and animate him to upload.

formerly KrazyJimmy

Denn, du bist was du isst, und ihr wisst, was es ist.
Virtual X
Years of Service
User Offline
hmm... the exe doesnt work, i seem to get an error when i try and run the exe.

what system spec have you designed it for?
dj blackdragon3710
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2006 16:28
Anybody need any sketches at all?

<<<<<Used to be "djblackdragon" with being registered in January, 2003, no matter what it says on the left<<<<<
ALPHA ZERO PRODUCTIONS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2006 02:19
i do

dj blackdragon3710
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2006 03:14
Big help, what kind? Character, landscape, gun, what?

ALPHA ZERO PRODUCTIONS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2006 18:35 Edited at: 10th Apr 2006 18:38
dj blackdragon3710
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2006 20:35
Will do.

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2006 21:47
By the way everyone, the forum would be a better place to discuss and post ideas and contributions. Just letting you know it is there, and can be used.

Milk - I get what you mean, it's a good idea. Thanks for the code, check the forum for a reply.

Dj - Welcome back. Hope to see some stuff soon.

Avenger - Can you possibly give more information on the error? Like the lines of code that bring this up? Have you extracted everything correctly and installed all plugins (that reminds me, I will post the plugins that the project uses asap).

Alpha - Looking nice as always. Also can you export the rigged hands in any useful formats? It'd be nice the have them available .

Oneka - Thats a great sound, could you upload it to the file manager on the site if possible?

Sunrise - Quite a simple model, and also the mesh seems to have saved wrongly, the polygons are all over the place. Get a program like lithunwrap or Blender to do the unwrapping. There are tutorials all over the place.

Oddmind - Cheers for the model. We need to use the same skeleton for each model in the end. Glog made a skeleton in blender for one of the models. It's on the file manager on the website, I don't know if it could be any use, as I don't know much about these things. Could y ou try it?

Virtual X - It depends what your setup is. Also, what is the error you get?

Milkman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2006 02:01
I still need to know how to compile the source - what audio dll are you using hamish?

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2006 13:11
Ooops, I always forget to say something in long posts like that. The dlls the project is using are:

Newton Physics Engine and Walaber/Kjelle's Newton-DBPro Wrapper
[url=http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk/]IanM's Matrix1Extend1 (He has several by the same name, so make sure it is the right one)[url]
EZRotate Basic
[url=http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=73665&b=5]Benjamin's Tempest Network[url]
Torrey's Audio Extend Plugin
Torrey's DarkScript Plugin

DB newbie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2006 02:42
hey guys i played your demo a few moths ago and the graphics and everything are asome. when you guys finish this project are you guys going to sell it commercialy because it could be a hit.

visit my site (unfinished)
www.freewebs.com/dbnewbie
ALPHA ZERO PRODUCTIONS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2006 07:28
ya, would you also like the hands UV mapped ? ........btw what format do you want it in ?

Milkman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2006 07:23 Edited at: 14th Apr 2006 07:24
I don't think we could sell it because there is no way to divide up profits evenly, since it's kind of a community project.

As for the uvmapped hands, yes, please do that if you can, alpha zero.
.x or .dbo would be great

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2006 14:31
The only thing with x and dbo is can you import them into anything which does animation? I'm looking specifically at Blender for animating, as it is free for everyone to use, and does pretty much everything. The hands need to be merged with each gun and animated separately. I am currently learning animation in Blender, and I think I would be up to doing a few of the guns.

Hoorah! I have found the solution! Some god-like being has written an md5 exporter for 3DS max that exports armatures, vertex groups and animations, and has also written an md5 importer for Blender that imports armatures and vertex groups (no animation unfortunately, but oh well).

Alpha Zero - Look here:

Main thread
http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5474

And I think this is the one you want (3DS max exporter):

http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1914

And here is the Blender importer:

http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6901

So alpha, upload the model in .max format, and also .md5 and maybe .x or .dbo.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-17 03:32:00
Your offset time is: 2024-05-17 03:32:00