Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Influx (Third Person Shooter)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2007 19:23
They go for the most realistic grahpics because there trying to make people seem like its real.

life is short but so am i
Escaped Ape
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2007 20:04 Edited at: 21st Mar 2007 20:13
And why do they want to make people seem like its real? Because the people buy games that make them seem like the game world is real

Commercial developers make games that way the mainstream wants them.
Somebody said:"Never change a running system" - this quote is not really relating on changing game ideas, but it can be used for that, too
Making a game in a never seen before graphic style is always a risk.

Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2007 01:48 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2007 19:25
@ Escaped Ape

Thanks. Glad you like the controls! And I love the way you said you were going to wait for the screenshots.
Quote: "i wait for the screens of randomness 128."

I also fixed that bug you found. I just made it so right clicking does nothing unless you are holding a weapon. I think that makes sense since the whole point of it is to zoom in and shoot more accurately.

@ z i l c h vortex

Thanks for your input!

@ Everyone

I'm sorry that it took so long to get these screenshots. I had some other things to do. But anyway, here are some screenshots of the first level with the more realistic style. I haven't changed the character or weapons yet. Looking forward to your comments.

DMTsukasa
Years of Service
User Offline
Randomness - That is really sick. I definitely like the realistic textures better. I cannot wait for this game.

I have a comment after playing the initial demo:

I think that you should allow the mouse to turn the screen and then the A and D keys to strafe if that is possible. Otherwise, movement is fantastic.

Unfortunately, I don't think that I'll get to play this game for real until I get my new lap top that I am saving up for in the late summer. My current computer is crap. When I ran the demo, Everything worked fine and I had a great frame rate, except none of the world textures showed up - the whole worls was black. I could see the character and the weapons that I spwaned to play with, but other than that, I couldn't see anything. By the way - I really like the flashlight effect.
Escaped Ape
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2007 17:01 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2007 17:02
wow, I must admit, i like the realistic style even more.
It makes the level more "intensive" while still beeing colorful, so it's matching to the cartoon character (isn't this a new style as well? ).
Great job, i'm getting excited more and more

Escaped Ape
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2007 17:01 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2007 17:02
double post, sry

Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
I just got home! That means back to work on Influx.

@ DMTsukasa

Thanks. So, since I posted the new screenshots, 1 vote for realistic graphics. As it is now, you'll strafe using A and D if you're aiming a weapon. Otherwise you'll face the direction you're moving. You said that everything showed up black. I tried playing without the flashlight shader on the object. That made everything show up black. What version of pixel shaders does your computer support? Also, don't worry too much about waiting until late summer to play. It probably won't be done yet then.

@ Escaped Ape

Thanks. Now, since I posted the new screenshots, 2 votes for realistic graphics. I wasn't planning on using a realistic style for the world and cartoony for the characters. If enough people prefer the realistic look, I'll change the character, too.

@ Everyone

SO FAR...

2 votes for the realistic graphics
3 votes for the cartoony graphics

However the 3 votes for the cartoony graphics were from before I posted the more realistic screenshots, so they may change, they may not.

Valle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2007 22:03
This game looks so great!
When i saw the first Screens i thought: "Oh, another good 3d artist", but with that video you convinced me that you're a good programmer too !

I vote for the realistic style

I think this game has commercial quality though i hope you dont sell it

headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
This is looking AMAZING! I like the cartoony style, but I like the realistic style even more!
Escaped Ape
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2007 23:30
5 votes for realistic style
3 for the cartoon style so far

I was wondering how you created your maps.
I saw some strange graphical-maps in your game folder - which tool did you use?

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2007 23:51
Actually, I think you should keep the character cartoony and then environments realistic. Looks good!

Escaped Ape
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2007 00:44
yeah could be a cool contrast, when the player and the enemys are cartoon style and the level a bit more realistic (but still a colorful look)

Crazy Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2007 00:50
i vote realistic environment, cartoony character.

Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2007 01:05 Edited at: 23rd Mar 2007 01:07
@ Valle

Thanks, but I'm actually more of a programmer than a 3d artist. The reason I learned to create anything in 3d was to use it in games. And don't worry - I'm not going to sell it! (But maybe if you'd rather not have me sell it you shouldn't tell me that I could sell it, lol! )

@ headcrab 53

Thanks, and thanks for your input!

@ Escaped Ape

What you probably saw were the lightmaps. All of the dark and light spots and shadows on the map are actually part of a second texture, which is what you were probably looking at. The lighting is calculated before I export the map and stored as a part of that second texture, so the computer doesn't have to figure out what should be light, dark, or in a shadow while the game is running. This is very common, and is called lightmapping. With the more realistic graphical style the lights are a combination between lightmapping and shaders.

@ Inspire and Crazy Ninja and Escaped Ape

You know, I thought that the cartoony looking character would look very out of place in a more realistic looking environment, but oddly, it doesn't. (Not as much as I thought, anyway.) So I'll think about it, but I can't guarantee it either way, yet.

eek
Years of Service
User Offline
I like this.

Cartoony Character, Real Environments ftw!
z i l c h vortex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2007 14:27
i vote same cartoony charecter and realistic textures

life is short but so am i
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2007 14:49 Edited at: 25th Mar 2007 14:50
Realistic textures if they retain their colored looks. Character should remain, it gives a pretty unique style.

Looks pretty awesome!

tha_rami - the best way to predict the future is to invent it
Shadow Coderer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2007 18:37
Realism all the way. Perhaps you should keep the character style, but I wont vote for that until you show a potential realistic style for the main guy! To be honest though, those level textures are pretty stylised as it is. If they were extremely realistic, then a cartoon character over the top would look rubbish.

"If I die, tell my wife 'hello'"
Julius Caesar
Years of Service
User Offline
WOW! That is some awesome looking models in there! Definately the cartoon character and the realistic environment.

If you were to make the character look real you would kill off his soul! He looks really individual the way he is now!

Although, I have to admit, the realistic level looks a million mile better than the cartoon one, so perhaps I should reserve judgement for the player?

I came, I saw, I conquered. The die is cast. It is not these well-fed long haired men that I fear, but the pale and the hungry looking. Et tu, Brute?
-The Man Himself
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2007 02:56 Edited at: 7th Apr 2007 23:29
Great game so far (world looks beautiful btw). I had a little fun and gav him red hair via paint, lol. I liked the flashlight though... How did you do it?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks everyone for the comments.

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. I haven't been getting much work done since my last post, either. But, I've gotten back to work on Influx now, still working on the prison level.

I've also decided to keep the realistic level with cartoony character. For now, anyway. I may end up changing it later on, but probably not.

@ Sixty Squares

Lol. The red hair is funny.

The flashlight was using evolved's flashlight shader, but I've changed that since I'm using normal mapping now.

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2007 21:39
this is amazing,

"these shoes are 300 hundred dollars"-Shoes by Kelly http://smallgroup.be/
Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2007 20:39 Edited at: 5th May 2007 20:40
@ flashing snall

Thanks.

@ Everyone

For the past month and a half or so, this project has been drifting away from me, since I've had alot of other things to do. So basically I've done almost nothing with this since around the end of March. But, I've actually gotten back to work on it now, just letting everybody know.

Also I'll be getting a better light mapper which will help with the visual appearance and performance.

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 7th May 2007 10:47
Awsome to here that.

Cheers,

-db

What? You mean I cant sleep here???
Julius Caesar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2007 21:59 Edited at: 8th May 2007 21:59
Yeah! I saw this game a few months back and I didn't post, I regret that! This looks so good!

Its a shame you stopped work on it, I really like the direction you are taking! The moddeling looks lovely, really clean, and the great use of shaders really does your game justice. I love the contrast between real and cartoon, and I can't wait to see some more levels.

I am wondering what you are going to do for enemies, they would have to be pretty darn awesome to keep in with the quality of the rest of the game!

Also, you can't be new to code, can you? How long have you been around?! The way your project looks, you are in a league with beople like Van B, Fallout and maybe even BatVink! I wonder how long it will be before you are a mod?

Really, really great work, can't wait to see how this project progresses!

Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2007 22:55 Edited at: 8th May 2007 22:56
@ Julius Caesar

Thanks, and I'm back to work on it now though, although not at this exact moment since somebody's already using my computer. But then how did I post this? I'm using my other computer, but unfortunatly it's not good enough for Influx in many ways.

I have 12 individual levels planned, but that's a meaningless number since it has nothing to do with how long the levels are.

Only problem with the shaders though is that it really bumps up the power the PC needs to run it, as well as requiring PS1.4 and VS1.4 and support for cube maps. This one would probably run it if it wasn't for that (although not terribly quickly).

You play as an Influx heretic, so your main enemy will be just like you, except different armor, etc. I'm also planning on different variations of them, such as smaller, weaker ones, or really big ones with extremely strong armor. Other enemies will be animal like, also from the same planet as the Influx.

I started using DarkBasic Pro not long before I started this, but I've been doing the same kind of thing for about 4 years or so.

@ Everyone

I've decided that I'll release another demo once I've finished the first level. Here's everything I need to do first:

1) Finish modeling and texturing the first level. This is one of the major steps.

2) Lightmap it. Won't take long, the computer does most of the work.

3) Add normal maps. Also won't take long.

4) Code the loading system. Hopefully I'll be able to use multi-threading to load the next part of the level without stopping.

5) Code everything that's level specific, such as doors, force feilds, elevators, etc. These should be fairly simple to do.

6) Setup lighting on the characters.

7) Add weapons and ammo to the level.

8) Add a physics engine. Another major step.

9) Add enemies. This includes modeling, texturing, A.I., spawning, etc. Another major step.

10) Add saving and loading system. I'm planning on a system that auto saves at certain points.

11) Add the menu system.

And that's it.

Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2007 23:18 Edited at: 16th Aug 2007 01:35
I have a quick question for everyone. Would anybody have a problem if Influx would only run on Windows XP or Vista?

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
If its in dbp, it WILL only run on xp or vista.

Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
The requirements for DBPro say it will work with Windows 98, 2000, ME or XP, and other people use it on Vista all the time. Plus, one of my PC's uses Windows 98 and DBPro works with it.

The reason I'm asking, though, is that I'm thinking of using DarkPhysics, which will only work with Windows XP and Vista.

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2007 02:42
Sounds fine to me, I don't think too many people use 98 anyways.

Game King
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2007 01:21
Any new updates? vid please!
Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, progress has been unusually slow. But there's a long weekend right now!

I'll post some screenshots and a video when I've got the first map finished.

headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
Any more updates, yet?
Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2007 06:52
This looks simply amazing. I smell a very good future for this title. Good luck and keep up the great work.

Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Any more updates, yet?"

Not much to tell.

Quote: "This looks simply amazing. I smell a very good future for this title. Good luck and keep up the great work."

Thanks, and I will!

I've finally gotten back to working on Influx! I accomplished more yesterday than I did for two months before that!

But just so that I'm not posting nothing, here's a close up of a wall.

Game King
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2007 21:16
Nice texture, and glad to hear!
Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Nice texture, and glad to hear!"

Thanks.

Today:
I didn't get much done on the first level today. I was improving other aspects of the game instead.

- Before, you couldn't fire while you jumped. I decided to change this, letting you shoot and jump at the same time.

- I also improved the weapon selection, stopping you from highlighting an empty slot.

- Before, when the weapon selection was on the screen you couldn't crouch, pick up items or zoom in. This is fixed.

- I lowered the movement speed slightly.

- I increased the spread and decreased the speed of the shotgun. It only holds 7 rounds instead of 10 now.

- I made the bullets moving through the air move more slowly, and they're less translucent than they were before. The actual collision happens immediately.

Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2007 01:51 Edited at: 7th Jul 2007 01:52
Well, once again, progress has been slow. Well, I guess still slow would make more sense. All of the times I've said I've gotten back to work on it, progress stopped a couple of days after that. Hopefully now is when that all ends.

Anyway, my latest addition to Influx are the new bullet holes. I used parallax mapping on them, to make it look as though an actual hole has been made. You need at least SM 2.0 for the parallax mapping to appear in the game.

VIDEO

Note that there are no shaders on the world itself in that video.

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2007 04:50
woa, thats really cool!!!!

"these shoes are 300 hundred dollars"-Shoes by Kelly http://smallgroupproductions.com/
Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Holy (something not against the AUP) that looks amazing!So, are those bullet holes?

I like my sig.
Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks, and yep, those are bullet holes. Just remember that you need at least SM 2.0 for those to appear as they do in the video.

I'll be getting to work on Influx soon.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2007 20:28
Why not use at least SM 1.4 parrallax (I wonder if there were one?)

Or the normal map it should work on 1.1 too?

[B] - LINKIN PARK - [/B]
Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2007 20:40 Edited at: 7th Jul 2007 20:49
The parallax mapping shader won't compile using 1.4.

If your card doesn't support SM 2.0, the bullet holes will switch over to normal mapping instead of parallax mapping, which uses PS 1.4 and VS 1.1.

My plan is that PS 1.4 and VS 1.1 will be a requirement for Influx, for the maps lighting.

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2007 05:44
any more updates??

"these shoes are 300 hundred dollars"-Shoes by Kelly http://smallgroupproductions.com/
da power pwnerer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2007 16:49
will this be open-source?

Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "any more updates??"
Nothing too interesting to show, except maybe the improved particle effects. Instead of ghosting, they now use alpha mapping with a seperate alpha channel. They also can expand or contract, and fade away. Progress still hasn't been as fast as I'd like, though.

Quote: "will this be open-source?"
Most likely, no. But anything could happen.
In fact, my computer could explode, destroying all of Influx. I'm going to go make a back up copy...

Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2007 05:34
Looks good,I love the style.

Load Programmer "Crazy Programmer",1
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Randomness I love the idea of a cartoony character in a realistic world. Just saying aswell your really need to make his nose more like a nose because just seeing dot and dot doesn't really make a nose to me but maybe I'm a critic. Love it Randomness.

Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2007 00:07 Edited at: 24th Jul 2007 00:35
I decided to make the HUD a bit more complex. But first I decided to add a few new weapons, and make some changes to some of the existing ones. I'll start on that today.

Quote: "Looks good,I love the style."

Quote: "Randomness I love the idea of a cartoony character in a realistic world."

Thanks. I've actually been thinking about how it would look if I changed it, but I don't think I will. But anything could happen.
In fact, my computer could explode, destroying all of Influx. I'm going to go make a back up copy...

Quote: "Just saying aswell your really need to make his nose more like a nose because just seeing dot and dot doesn't really make a nose to me but maybe I'm a critic."

He actually doesn't have much of a nose, just nostrils on the front of his face.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2007 00:31
This looks really good! Great job Rnadomness! The cartoonish style is way better. Your a great artist and programmer. Keep this good work up!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 05:04:21
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 05:04:21