Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / MMO War Game - Plx Test It

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2007 16:51 Edited at: 23rd Sep 2007 16:52
Can someone who had this working previously try to connect from outside to my game please. You can use the demo account if you forgot your passwords...

username: demo
password: demodemo
2 factor: demo

My server blew up, now fixed, but I'm thinking my Netgear router is ill now because I've not seen anyone log in for ages (it seems to ignore any of the port forward rules that were previously working i'm thinking).

I'm about to fork out for a BT Voyager (I already tried LinkSys which also died previously) so any recommendations for a decent router would be great.

Thanx

DinoHunter (still no nVidia compo voucher!), CPU/GPU Benchmark, DarkFish Encryption DLL, War MMOG (WIP), 3D Model Viewer
jasonhtml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2007 20:05
Quote: "my Netgear router"

Netgear SUCKS! i had a router from them a few years ago and we had nothing but problems. we called tech support (stationed in india) 7 times and we got no help whatsoever. then we switched to a linksys router and have had no problems at all.

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2007 20:12
I've had good luck with LinkSys and the tech help was NOT India - and their tech help even gave a few "Off the Record" tips that had to do different manufacturing runs of a particular model! (That is cool!)

also - I have inherited 2 24 Port Switchs that are both Bay Networks (One has fiberoptics as an option, the other doesn't) BOTH run very cool and NEVER go down. (Attained them from Hospitals that were upgrading - SO Bay Networks must be good if hospitals use them right?...maybe not but one might think "probably")

GatorHex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2007 10:57
OK new router in place can somone please try and log in and let me know if they can connect. Thanks.

DinoHunter (still no nVidia compo voucher!), CPU/GPU Benchmark, DarkFish Encryption DLL, War MMOG (WIP), 3D Model Viewer
Penfold
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2007 20:42 Edited at: 27th Sep 2007 22:28
I've just created an account although I'm miffed I couldn't use my general character name *Argmentum* as it is saying its a banned word? mebe you could fix that for me, and overide penfold?

On 87% download I will yell ya if I get on.

<edited> download complete. just doing an update, might be nice as a minor visual element to change the colours on the update screen to note if they have not been or have been updated?

Something to say how big the file downloading is and aproximate download times is good. I'm not sure if its still downloading the main exe or if its hanging.

<edited> Been stuck like this for 5 mins now. Mebe a spinny graphic or summat just so we know its working. I'm now ranked 41 out of 90 odd and I haven't even played yet

<edited> Had to stop the program from updating. As I was getting 4% CPU usage and nearly nothing on download meter. Now the exe doesn't seem to do anything. I'll try deleting it and see if the update manager picks up on this.

Has made 0 difference re-extracting the files etc and going to start update again.

<edited> tried it again and I got this lovely error, mean anything to you? and now all my application graphics ahve screwed up a bit.

'Ooh 'eck chief'...'crumbs'
Squelchy Tom
Years of Service
User Offline
my netgears wireless dongley thing dosent work with vista and netgear is cheesy anyway so i dont htink i will be testing it fully yet loal. on this pc however it looks good and i like the feel, if somewhat laggy but its my fault.
Penfold
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2007 11:45
Finally got it working but my logins keep failing and I don't seem to be able to get any kind of responce from the password recovery.

GatorHex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2007 14:08 Edited at: 30th Sep 2007 14:09
Ok had a game against you today so looks like it's working again.

Seems to have been my ISPs fault. They were taken over by another company and they were dropping encrypted traffic in Elcoya to stop Bit Torrenting or something.

Well this is good new means i can continue to work on building a MMO although I'm gona change ISP i think anyway as I've found a faster one with 1.3 - 2.5mbps upstream (this server is only on 256k up at the moment!)

Penfold
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2007 14:48 Edited at: 30th Sep 2007 17:25
I don't know if or where you have a list of known issues and bugs , but I'm getting a list together now for ya if you want?

nice playing against you, btw how do I turn bots back on

<4th place on leader board after a couple of hours play>

even at this level its slightly adictive.

Penfold
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2007 17:34 Edited at: 30th Sep 2007 20:19
6PM GMT TONIGHT - MINI BATTLE

lets really give the server a test.

I will be on as close to then as possible, probably earlier.

It would nice to see how the enviroment interacts with 4+ people on at once. Even more so to see if theres a high lag issue.

Hope this is ok with *Eddy-GatorHex* , maybe we can get weekly rumbles organised. It would definetly pump up popularity.

<edited> a great big no show. Guess I left it to late to put a time up.

GatorHex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2007 02:44
Sorry, missed that message, it's hard getting people to play.

But if you beat Diggsey in the high scores I'm pretty sure he'll show up to take back his title as no1

I'm working on filling in job applications at the mo.

Engine97
Years of Service
User Offline
GatorHex - I'm looking to hire a game programmer for a small project. Please contact me off list at the email below if this interests you.

Thanks,
Eric
engine97 "at" comcast.net
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2007 20:29
Well for that to happen, penfold has to more than double his current score!

zapakitul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2007 20:54
Is the server still on? I really wanna restart plaiyng it

Penfold
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2007 23:35 Edited at: 5th Oct 2007 23:52
Quote: "Well for that to happen, penfold has to more than double his current score!"

that'd take less than a week then .. about mebe 3 hours of play.. less if others are playing too. (only about 732 points to go)

Quote: "Is the server still on? I really wanna restart plaiyng it "

Don't think its been off for the last couple of weeks.

If people are seriously interested in playing this and want to organise mini-battles I'm up for it.

GatorHex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2007 00:14 Edited at: 6th Oct 2007 00:18
It's currently running 24x7 but I've ordered a new ISP so it might go down in a week or two.

I'm currently on 2/0.28 mbps

I've ordered 24/1.3 mbps

can't wait

When it happenes I'll have to recompile a new client with my new fixed IP I guess. After that I'll start adding more features.

zapakitul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2007 11:18
gator hex i love this game !

Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2007 13:18
Been watching this for a while now, this looks quite promising..keep up the great work.

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2007 16:38
Quote: "Been watching this for a while now, this looks quite promising.."

Its more than Promising! (Not attacking Zombie - Just showing my own enthusiasm) This game has people playing head to head - its fun - the Author is cool - not a snob - (Sometimes the guys who write great stuff get heady - though not to much on these forums) - I just hope GatorHex stays interested - he's said in the past he might switch up to another project for reasons its not my place to get into - however I will say - anything he does - if he puts as much thought into it like he did with this project so far - will be Awesome - and I'll want to See it!

Jason

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2007 23:44
GatorHex, I've been thinking a lot recently and I've decided I want to start on a project similar to this, mainly to see how many players I can get connected in a DBP game (simulated or otherwise). I'm aiming for at least something around the 300+ mark. The plan is to write two versions of the server - one in DBP, and one in C++ - to compare. I was wondering if you'd be interested in doing the client, something like this game. E-mail me if you're interested.

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)
GatorHex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2007 19:24 Edited at: 11th Oct 2007 19:25
You can get 300+ easy if you only intend to relay packets like most game severs do and run most of the game client end and not worry too much about security.

You'll need a few PCs to prove it though as I was only able to run about 35 clients on each PC. LOL I only had 3 spare PCs.

luckly, it was just enough for me as my server side game and packet encryption took up a fair few CPU cycles.

I keep thinking about making a client side game, it would be so much easier, but then i play War Rock and think "do i realy?"

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2007 19:34
Quote: "You can get 300+ easy if you only intend to relay packets like most game severs do and run most of the game client end and not worry too much about security."

I plan to make it plenty secure actually, else the test wouldn't be very useful.

Quote: "You'll need a few PCs to prove it though as I was only able to run about 35 clients on each PC. "

I can write a application to simulate many clients if necessary (and I'm sure it will be).

So are you interested at all?

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)
GatorHex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2007 19:43
Sorry I'm realy looking to team up with a modeller you're best writing the client yourself because you will understand how the server end works. if you need anyone to log in and test externaly I'll be there

I suppose with the test PC thing i could have put many bots inside a single DBP exe. The problem was they were running out of video memory, even though they were just text on a black background.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2007 19:57
Well I'm not talking about a full blown game here, just something simple. I figured that we could have developed it together over the course of a few days and then if you wanted you could have developed the client further on your own.

It's no problem anyway, I can manage it on my own, just wondered if you were interested.

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)
jasonhtml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2007 06:17
@Benjamin: im very curious to know what results you get from your experiments. i don't really have the time to actually team up for the project, but it would be cool if you could make a post about your findings and how you programmed the server for X amount of players. it could probably help a lot of people that have little networking experience and others who are interested like me.

GatorHex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2007 17:49 Edited at: 24th Oct 2007 23:51
Installed Gigabit NIC and new Annex M DSL line now got 8x more upstream speed to you and hope lag reduced

Also sorted out a few minor bugs in the client but I've screwed up the sound a little.

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2007 18:09
Yay! It's fun dude. Just downloaded and it all worked fine for me.

DOn't know if there should perhaps be some limitations on how far you can travel... I drove right out into the sea!

Gameplay wise, it's fun. WOuld be nice to have a turret machine gun to chip away at armour, when the cannon isn't in use, and perhaps the level design could be a little better, offering more cover etc?

Anyway, I really liked it, it's definately something that could expand into a really great little game!

Penfold
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2007 00:38
Poo no more de-bug at the top of the screen

- nice little health markers although any chance you can make the players stop bobbing , I feel a little sea- sick

...on another note if you are updating any chance of a few lines of code. If player pos y = 0 then dec life , would stop me looking to swim from one side to the other. would also stop people trying to see how far out to see they can get.

Excellent to see your updating again, hopefully I'll get another player to kill soon

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-26 13:25:12
Your offset time is: 2024-06-26 13:25:12