Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / The Principality of Mars

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2007 21:58
Sorry for the double.

Cheese cake / darth kiwi. Check out this movie:

Memories by Katsuhiro Otomo.
the third film on the disk is called Cannon Fodder (of the 3 it's the only one that otomo directed himself).

It's the tale of a city, where the inhabitants and the city its self is totally geared towards firing huge guns at an unknown enemy.

It's a seminal piece of steam punk, and you should seriously checkit out!

I don't know if this could fit the story but to paraphrase the narrative of CannonFodder:

Mars has been at war with earth for an eternity.
Neo Venetia is the last remaining city, and it bristles with weaponry all pointed at earth. They've been shelling the blue planet for over 100years.

The thing is, it's been so long, that everyone does their job as a matter of course. In all honesty, most of the populace don't know if the adversary on earth even exists anymore, they just shoot.

So, the story could be that you are a rebel who fears the war is over, that it has been for 100 years, and that the aristocracy of Mars simply keeps the populace locked in a cycle of "hypothetical war", so that they can live the high life.

Your character makes a stand against this tyranny. You got options with the plot : is Earth still fighting, or are the incoming shells coming from your own guns, designed to keep you believing there is an enemy?

Ah whatever, I just got a bit inspired... ignore me.

mastercheif 193
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2007 06:19
Very impressive small fish. This game stands out. Very good Job.
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2007 11:19 Edited at: 10th Nov 2007 11:24
for inspiration check out
2000ad comic
Nemesis: Gothic Empire (prog 387-406)
or Book 4 of Nemesis
great images on steam punk by Talbot and O'Niel

heres an overview I just found, http://www.dreamnation.fsnet.co.uk/battle2.html#gand

but do a proper google on it or buy Nemesis book 4. it has some fantastic artwork for steam punk.

fpsc game KillTV update 22Oct.http://www.avantivita.com/killtv.html
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2007 11:46
I looked at that Gothic link, and look what I found:

Quote: "Set exactly on the planets equator is the Star Tower, a gigantic lift from Britannia to her moons, built by Isambard Kingdom Brunel. Passengers are transported in projectiles through airless tubes, thereby reducing friction. Massive magnetic motors produce the required escape velocity."

Hm, that sounds... familiar!

@ Butter Fingers -

I looked at a few youtube videos and it looks absolutely inspired! That's one golden plot, the sort of thing where it's always interesting because it appeals to so many archetypal fears in mankind.

I may use it, but I do already have another, completely different plot worked out and shoehorning this is would be impossible. But I've sent the script so far, plus a synopsis of things to come, to small fish so hopefully he can decide which plot he'd prefer to have in his game. Whichever he chooses, I'm still happy to write the script, even if he chooses the Cannon Fodder idea.

I'm not actually a Kiwi, I just randomly thought it up one day.
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2007 14:53
This looks awesome

Real sense of style and the models / artwork is excellent.

On my way to work the other day I walked through liverpool street train station in London and your first screenshot really reminded me of the architecture.

Can't wait to see more on this. The blimp crashing into the building will be AAA.

Nomad
small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2007 15:07
WOW I'm not used this sort of attention first I just want to say thank you to everyone who posted I just hope that I game I create can live up to everyone’s expectations what I had originally planed to be a simple 5 level shooter seems to turning into something epic I now know that this is going to take a lot longer than I thought all your plot ideas are spectacular way better than mine I afraid a few can't be used but I will try to do what I can to implement most of your ideas. Now Darth Kiwi I just got your script can't read it now I've only got a limited time in the internet cafe I will tell you what I think tomorrow as for the palace sure lets put it in orbit my sister can draw us something beautiful I sure for the cutsceans.
Ok butters thanks a ton for the machine will send more d13 is teaching me to animate so soon I won't need your help I will look at that movie when I get the time.

the world is complicated only people are simple
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2007 16:20 Edited at: 12th Nov 2007 16:20
This is looking a very good game, you put a lot of time into this and cant wait to play it the London street look right good.

The artwork and the style is a nice change and going away from the fpsc look.

Well done can't wait to see more

Best s4
small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2007 16:25 Edited at: 12th Nov 2007 16:44
gee thanks complement are always welcome they make me fill warm and fuzzy inside
EDIT I just watch cannon fodder on you tube WOW that’s exactly what I'm aiming for unfortunately I could only watch a bit but what a great looking bit of animation also I found this when I put the words steam punk into the search engine The Mysterious Geographic explorations of Jasper Morello also looks great I'm downloading these to my computer so I can keep them for reference when ever I need inspiration

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2007 15:33
right here’s a picture of a factory level I made over the weekend I was going to post it tomorrow but I forgot to put it on my memory stick

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2007 17:42
Wow, that's a nice level so far - the gear-filled machine and the roof, and the lights on the walls really make it feel unique. You might want to think about putting up, for example, some safety posters (you know, "Lift with your knees!" or "Beware of moving gears - machines can kill!") And some pipes or gears on the walls wouldn't go amiss either, although I realise that all that would constitute a fair bit of work.

Get back to me when you've read the script, by the way, and feel free to offer suggestions or different directions for the storyline. Also, I watched the first 20 minutes of the Mysterious Geographic Explorations of Jasper Morello on youtube - absolutely, indescribably fantastic! Simply beautiful, and eerie. Unfortunately, I can't get the third video (constituting the 20 to 30 minute slot) to play...

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2007 22:58
Looks fantastic, except I would retexture those gantries, or possibly use a different one, as those railings don't fit. Try using the Model Pack 3 ones, except retextured.

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2007 00:04
Incredidible! Very nice use of textures!

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2007 13:13
hi everyone read the script by kiwi super just great stuff did you get my email kiwi? anyway I made the pneumatic a sort of steam radio which was described in kiwi script here’s a picture

Attachments

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2007 21:49
Ha, excellent work! Every bit as I imagined it. This is what I've dubbed the Pneu-Speak. (Yes, I've read Nineteen-Eighty-Four, how did you guess?) It's basically a walkie-talkie but it simulates speech using pressure and steam. I particularly like the little whistle on the side - that's the equivalent of a phone ringing to tell you you've got a call.

small fish, I got your email and I replied - I'll carry on working on the script then. Goody!

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2007 11:48
right I've got good news and bad news the bad news being I've just been fired from my job which is sort of good new for the game since I can now spend more time on it the really good new is that the game has been coming on leaps and bounds I spent all weekend on it and I've got 2 levels done which I'm very pleased with here is a picture of the 2nd level

Attachments

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2007 11:51
also my sister has just started on the sky box here a picture of one side of the box in game

Attachments

Dr Parsnips
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2007 11:58
wow she is a great artist! truly!your game is looking better each time i look in this thread! really really good effort!

HMMMMMMM
small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2007 12:07
thanks buddy I needed cheering up

s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Screenshots looking good only thing I'm not sure about is those big pipes on the right hand side building don't seem to fit.

Keep up the good work

Best s4
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2007 18:52
Veeery nice! I sent you an email but I'll post my thoughts here for everyone else.

The skybox is great, really captures the idea of a grimy, smoky industrial city. The street is also really nice work, but it would benefit from some objects to make it look more alive, like people huddled round a fire or something. But, good work!

Fruitless CRUNK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2007 22:51
THATS A FREAKEN SWEET SKY BOX..... You're lucky to have such a great artist to help you in the game. Also you're gun's look GREAT you and you're sis are greatly talented.

If you can't win, cheat. If you can't cheat, quite.
small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2007 16:22
hi everyone haven't posted in awhile but I've been very busy I'm working on the 4th level right now not having a job is really helping me focus on this project and the skybox is almost done here is a picture of the 4th level it a manor house of sorts

Attachments

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2007 16:33
My apoligies for not getting the weapon I promised to rig to you sooner. I hope to have it rigged and sent to you within the next few days. Great shot by the way.

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2007 16:43
Hey don't apologise how many people would rig a weapon for free take as long as you want it's not as if I going to finish this game anytime soon

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2007 17:30
It all looks great (though I'd take S4's advise on removing the pipes on the building). I'll keep an eye on this one as well.

-Keith

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2007 18:08
wow a Moderator likes the game great as for the pipes I like them because in the game you can go around the building and see that there connected to a machine on the other side but if want them gone there gone

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2007 18:14 Edited at: 26th Nov 2007 18:20
send me the texture for the gun and your good to go. All you need to do is set up your ammo pickup and weapon pickup. Wasn't sure if you are useing the same model for the vwep . I don't know all the particulars but if you know your way around a gunspec it shouldn't be hard to get what you want customized to what you need.

-EDIT- Just got your mail. i'll be awaiting.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2007 22:39
I like the pipes! I say keep 'em.

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2007 06:15
Yeah Pipes are great and help define the steampunl genre. It's like haveing powerlines in a normal city.

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2007 13:20
Nice job with the manor! THat wall paper looks perfectly seamless.

I don't want to sound VERY mercenary, but have you considered using LyteFX to do some light shaft comin in those skylights?

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2007 16:47
Butter I would buy all your stuff if I could light fx segment cutter the lot but since I don’t have the internet I don’t want to buy things from a web site while I’m in a café I used to have a friend that brought thing of the net but we’ve lost contact. But when I get another job I will get a home connection but truth be told I’m still kind of new to computers I don’t know anything about getting the internet I know nothing about ISPs modems I find it all rather confusing.
also d13 I sending you the email now thanks again

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2007 18:50
sent you one back with contents

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2007 16:50
the gun is great d13 fantastic job will post new screen shots soon

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2007 16:03
boy have I been busy first I want to show you lot a custom character I've made haven’t put it in fpsc yet but I'm going to get started on that when I get home the character is a human brain in steam powered robot it's called a rusty the texture is not finished there going to be a window on the head where you can see a brain but I haven't drawn that in yet here’s a picture

Attachments

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2007 16:11
the game coming along nicely I just finished work on the 4th level there going to be about 7 or 8 level long but I'm afraid that the first 3 levels will be rather short. here’s a picture of a custom piece of machinery from one of the later levels

Attachments

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2007 18:56 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2007 18:57
Haha, wonderful! The Rusty isn't quite as I envisaged the Readers (if that's the basic idea of what they are) but boy, that is Steampunk! I have only one suggestion (apart from the window in the head, which you said you'd do anyway): The legs look a little boring, maybe tweak the vertices to make them look less cube like. I especially like the torso, and the gears at the hips!

The machinery looks good too - gears'n'pipes, all good. The script is still going, but slowly after my initial burst of apathy-shattering enthusiasm. Don't worry though: if you do get anywhere near the end of the part I've sent you, just tell me and I'll be sure to get it done.

Also - I assume that radio-messages will be possible through Sound Zones or scripted events or something, but is it possible to show a little picture of the person in a little portrait, ala BioShock? That would make it interesting. They needn't be animated but it would be cool to have it. *Darthkiwi chides himself for being fussy. Chide!*

Oh, and I have a microphone and a British accent, so I can do voice-acting when we get to that stage. I've never done any before but I figure we probably won't get professionals, hehe...

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2007 01:45
Dude that seriously rocks! The legs do look a bit bland compared to the rest of the model. maybe some hyraulics?

muggins majik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2007 02:01 Edited at: 4th Dec 2007 02:03
This looks like it's going to be a superb game and it's nice to see somebody else using chimneys on their houses.
starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks Great!! I look forward to seeing more.

Drapes#10
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2007 23:18
I just finished playing your other 3 games And I can't wait for this one!

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2007 15:58
thanks all I'm glad you liked my earlier games Drapes#10 but everything is not going well I've been trying to get rusty animated in fragmotion and I've come across 2 problems the first being I can't get the blasted arms to animate right I may have to redesign the arms in milkshape the second and more important problem is that when I import the model into fpsc it's invisible if anyone here has any experience with frag motion and knows why then please help. Here is a picture of the problem

Attachments

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2007 18:35
Quick question, why are you createing in milkshape and animateing in fragmotion? Milkshape is much easier to do it in. I find fragmotion's animateing a bit clunky and involved (just my opinion) Milkshape can do all that you need if your already proficient in it.

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2007 18:21 Edited at: 9th Dec 2007 00:23
Haha - a picture of something that isn't there. It'd be funny if it weren't so annoying.

I have absolutely no experience with fragmotion: when I need any animating I do it in 3D canvas. If you can't get it working in fragmotion or animating in milkshape then I could give it a shot in 3DC if you want.

EDIT: Not sure if this warrants an edit, but oh well.

The script has just leapt forward. I had two or three free hours yesterday, and some more time today, and it is now about 3/4 of the way through.

Also, late in the game you come across a steampunk computer (or Logic Engine, as I prefer to call it) ala SHODAN from the system shock games. And it needs a voice. So I recorded one of his lines and fiddled about with it and came up with this. (See attachment.) It's quite a bit like SHODAN (although not nearly as well done) but since she had the most amazing voice ever, I reckon that's a good thing.

If you can't understand what he's saying, it's "And as for you, worm, you are but flesh and blood."

Attachments

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 14:49
Shodan was the best anyway I've to have made lots of progress over the weekend so I've got plenty of new sceenshots to show you first is a new custom gun a sort of automatic rapid firing shotgun Darth Kiwi if you could come up with a decent name for the gun that would be helpful.
I've just read your email Kiwi I will read the script and listen to the voice acting tonight the internet cafe has no head phones

Attachments

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 14:51
next is an in game screenshot because I haven’t posted one of them in a while

Attachments

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 17:55
Ha, that gun is so marvelously impossible and cool looking! A name, hm... the Decider, the Final Word, the Bootstrap, the Cycleshot, the Crippler, the Shattershot, the Mess-Maker, the Quick-cannon, the Rapid-cannon?

The in-game shot is nice, too. It's hard to see much but what I can see is nice: chandeliers and candles are good, the wallpaper is absolutely fitting in with the Manor-house level. I assume you'll change the gun pictures in the top-right corner at some stage?

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2007 17:21
I just got the gun animated and in game will post a screen shot soon and don't worry about the HUD I will make a custom one for the game.

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2007 18:27
Yay! I got you email by the way - all that's fine, no problem at all.

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2007 14:14
right here’s a picture of the Cycleshot in game when you fire it the shells rotate as there feed into the gun

Attachments

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2007 14:21
Here’s a picture of an enemy holding the gun also I've animated the steam sniper rifle and revolver Darth Kiwi made me

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 01:04:19
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 01:04:19