Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / The Principality of Mars

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2008 20:08
Heh, sorry about the "technical" difficulties, people - I'll upload it on filefront just as soon as I get the new version in the post.

See? Giving your address to people on the internet is a good thing!

I'm not actually a Kiwi, I just randomly thought it up one day.
GP PrOdUcTiOnS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2008 21:37
Smallfish, email me when you get the game done and uploaded. Cant wait to play it!!! Ill beta test if you like.

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2008 18:48 Edited at: 7th May 2008 18:49
OK I posted the game this morning it will probably be at kiwis in 2 days as for the fpsc sign I just pressed the print screen button on windows explorer when I was in the game creator folder the fpsc executable has the little blue screen sign then I just enlarge it with gimp then I put it on the black and white back ground and I will email you GP PrOdUcTiOnS won't be long now

the world is complicated only people are simple
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2008 18:11
Sorry it's taken me so long to upload the files - my internet started dying a few days ago. BUT! PoM Part 1 is now uploaded! Here are some links:

Levels 1 and 2
Levels 3 and 4
Levels 5 to 7
The levels are split up due to texture problems - unfortunately this means that your guns and ammo don't carry on from one level to the next. I do have another version, which has some missing textures but which is one continuous game (so you have to manage your ammo all the way through) - I could upload this too, if people want.

Enjoy!

Kilgore
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2008 22:40
Downloading now. Can't wait to try it out!
darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2008 00:04
Okay, I beat it. It was pretty fun, I didn't like download them in different files though. But I didn't like a couple things. The game was really short, some of the levels were a tiny bit bland and the rifle wasn't very powerful. Other than that. it was fun.

GP PrOdUcTiOnS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2008 15:32
dloading now cant wait to play!!!

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2008 17:02 Edited at: 12th May 2008 17:02
great it's up can't wait to hear what you people think do you think it is good enough for a BOB?

Kilgore
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2008 20:34
Haven't quite finished it yet, but so far so good.

Negatives

- There wasn't much interaction in the opening levels. I liked the setting and feel, but would have liked a bit of action early on.

- This is just a personal preference, but I really miss having a crosshair! I find it a bit hit and miss with the weapons without one (mostly miss!).

- Some of the vocal recordings were difficult to hear.

Positives

- I love the story idea. Also great to see that you'd included research such as Walsingham...adds nice detail to the story. Lots of scope for future episodes, too (would love to see it done in x10 or v2 one day).

- The Info Stations are a nice touch.

- Like the pop-up when a character is communicating with the player. If you can improve the voice sound quality, I think you could take this idea even further - maybe informing the player of objective changes throughout the game/level...and adding backstory.

- It doesn't feel like the usual cookie-cutter FPSC game. There's stuff in there that's familiar, but the overall feel is very original. By the way, did you use your own jump sounds etc in the TOC games? If so, I'd use them instead of the stock ones.

Given all the problems you had with textures etc, great job!
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2008 21:03
If anyone does want me to upload the other version just ask, btw.

Quote: "- There wasn't much interaction in the opening levels. I liked the setting and feel, but would have liked a bit of action early on."

That would be my fault - I wanted to cram the player full of Steampunk atmosphere goodness before they got to the shooting bit - like Half Life and Half Life 2 and Call of Cthulhu. It's possible that bit went on a little too long, but I thought just walking around a Steampunk Victorian London was pretty nice - in a different way from the shooting, of course. I wanted the player to really get the feel that the city was at war before they had it all explained to them later.

Quote: "I love the story idea. Also great to see that you'd included research such as Walsingham...adds nice detail to the story. "

Smallfish came up with the basic plot idea regarding Mars and the Prince and everything - I fleshed it out and put in Walsingham House (glad you got the reference) and came up with the idea for the Readers.

The crosshair is a matter of taste, of course - I always liked how smallfish took out the crosshair because it means you have to aim more carefully. It also makes it feel less like a run-and-gun blast through the enemies type game where quick reflexes are more important than quick thinking.

Glad you liked it, though! I'm not sure how long it'll take for PoM part 2 to get done - smallfish's computer seems to have been pretty messed up so it'd make sense to get that sorted before we move on to part 2.

GP PrOdUcTiOnS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2008 02:14
Ok I couldnt get any of the levels to work... Im reloading them right now. And btw: wy did you load them up level by level? It really hurts the realisom when you have to stop the game and ge the next file ready. But I hope they work this time!

GP PrOdUcTiOnS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2008 02:58 Edited at: 13th May 2008 03:04
ok now there working going to play now.

EDIT: Ok y dont you load them up all into one set, or atlest 3 but not a thing for each one. I love the inviorment and the amazing story. The loading screens are alot like what we plan ot have in MA.

starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Smallfish nice game. I like the level design and feel. I'll be waiting for the next game.

Cthulhu
Years of Service
User Offline
That looks really awesome smalfish!
Sadly I can`t play it, because I`m away from my computer till January 2009
But it looks really awesome and I can`t wait to play your new game.

BTW, you still have contact with Disturbing 13, right? Do you know where he went with Return to Imboca? Because that is another game I would love to play

It's not dead what can eternal lie
Cthulhu
Years of Service
User Offline
That looks really awesome smalfish!
Sadly I can`t play it, because I`m away from my computer till January 2009
But it looks really awesome and I can`t wait to play your new game.

BTW, you still have contact with Disturbing 13, right? Do you know where he went with Return to Imboca? Because that is another game I would love to play

It's not dead what can eternal lie
darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2008 15:41
It was dropped.
Quote: "Do you know where he went with Return to Imboca? "

Heroefol
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2008 19:31
Wow! Very good job, smallfish . I hope you get BOTB

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2008 19:40 Edited at: 13th May 2008 19:46
actually I've been talking to d13 via email and he says that emboca still being made

sorry about the first few levels being a bit short Kilgore but like kiwi said it best the get the atmosphere over and I'm glad we did it

what was the problem with getting the game started GP PrOdUcTiOnS? anyway i glad you liked the game but as I said early it's in single levels because of bugs on my computer that make fpsc crash every time I make more than one level

thanks for the compliment starmind 001

WOW a message from mighty Cthulhu himself it is a shame you can't play the game but I assume that January 2009 is when you raise from R'lyeh to feast upon the souls of man

thanks Heroefol I hope I get a BOB to

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2008 00:20
Quote: "Ok y dont you load them up all into one set"

Well, here's that version that's all 1 exe - bear in mind that there are a lot of missing textures, though, so this isn't how the game's meant to look - it's just how it's meant to play, as it were.

Alternative PoM part 1

GP PrOdUcTiOnS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2008 01:58
Great this is what Ive been waiting for.

Butt monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2008 17:07
I played level 1 and 2, have a few suggestions for you if your still taking them, although the fact that the demos now released suggests that you've finished with it:

Positives:

-Alot of models and media, nice retextures, use of zeps in the sky.

-Extra detail like the information terminals etc

Negatives:

- VERY VERY short

- Nothing really happens in either of the levels.

-You said you wanted to go with the whole HL2 feel for the beginning of the game, however the intro of HL2 was CRAMMED with interactivity. Everyone talked to you, you saw people getting beaten up etc. I wouldn't mind adding more interactivity to the game, perhaps a little security terminal you have to pass through etc.

- Behind me, the train looked great, but infront and behind it were 2 textureless blocks filling up the wall.

- Would really love to see some kind of little climing puzzle in the streets over scaffolding to increase the time limit.

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2008 18:34
well I hope you will enjoy the game more when it gets to the combat levels. as for interactivity large scripted events would be a pain to make in fpsc. as for the train it was kind of ugly it was one of the earliest models I made for the game and my skills weren't to snazzy back then. a climbing puzzle not a bad idea I sure I could put something together when you get to the martian capital in pom part2. now hurry up and download the other levels I want to know what you think about the later levels

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2008 19:01
I just remembered in the single level version of pom I forgot to place the first level in game cover so a lot of you never got to see the intro cinematic which you can download it here

http://www.badongo.com/file/9364060

Heroefol
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2008 15:40 Edited at: 15th May 2008 15:40
That was real fun to play . Now i really want see this on BOTB

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2008 19:48
Quote: "VERY VERY short"

true - but you have 5 more levels to play
Quote: "
- Nothing really happens in either of the levels.

-You said you wanted to go with the whole HL2 feel for the beginning of the game, however the intro of HL2 was CRAMMED with interactivity. Everyone talked to you, you saw people getting beaten up etc. I wouldn't mind adding more interactivity to the game, perhaps a little security terminal you have to pass through etc."

This is true - I'd not considered interactivity at that stage and you're right, I think it would improve the experience - but, as smallfish said, it would be hideously complex for FPSC.

Quote: "Behind me, the train looked great, but infront and behind it were 2 textureless blocks filling up the wall."

oh NO! we didn't get all the textures fixed Ah well.

Criticism is appreciated: we'd prefer to have you comment on things that can be improved than have you splurge out "teh c00l3st" congratulations (though some of them are also welcomed!)

muggins majik
Years of Service
User Offline
Wonderful job, well done. This is the best FPSC game yet!
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2008 20:16
I checked out the first level; it ran a bit slow for me. I noticed that the second blimp had no texture applied to it.

-Keith

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2008 17:12
I was afraid of this KeithC please play the single level version of pom the latest version uploaded by kiwi is deeply flawed it's filled to the brim with missing textures and often crashes on level 4 but there is a save game at the begging of level 4 also anyone annoyed by the shortness of levels please note that only the first 3 levels are very short after that they become longer combat filled levels.

thanks for the compliments muggins majik and Heroefol

GP PrOdUcTiOnS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2008 17:20
did you get my newest email? I also just wont to thank you for all your help with MA, and congrgulat you for POM's sucses

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2008 17:49
hi all it's been a while since I posted so I thought I would keep you up to date I've got a home Internet connection now and I've solved the problem with my computer so I'm going to get straight to work on the principality part2 in the next part raynald will be sent to mars on a highly secret mission but what will he find on the red planet? the next game will have working custom weapons longer levels and will be in one executable I will post the first screen shots soon also GP PrOdUcTiOnS I will get those entities to you soon

Butt monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2008 12:52 Edited at: 8th Jun 2008 14:16
I forgot I hadn't downloaded the other levels small fish, I'll do it now xD

Much better than the first 2 levels. Loved the whole house part with the basement. I must say though that you really need to get those voice overs up in volume. Also use Audacity it kill the white noise.

The fourth level was OK. The idea was fine, but there were some flaws.

- I found the cutscenes very long. The point of a cutscene is to move the story on and perhaps add something that couldn't be done in gameplay. The still shots of the weapons bloke with his dialogue just bored me. The room was interesting so if you added more to it such as perhaps posters and stuff which would add more details to the story, then you could just run the first dialogue while in real time.

- I thought perhaps instead of the mans voice activating randomly as if he was right beside you, you could have added a speaker system so we knew where his voice was coming from.

- The last dialogue needed to be cut down. I know you had to explain alot of info but it could have been cut into smaller sections through out the level. I also thought the cutscenes broke the flow of the game which had been all in real-time to that point.

- Loved the sudden change in pace at the end although I found out how completely useless the rifle was No crosshair and it took more than 4 shots to kill a guy. With the pistol however it had 30 bullets, crosshair and killed a guy in about 3 shots.

Going onto level 5 now. Sorry if that sounded a bit rushed, I'm a little busy at the moment :p

GP PrOdUcTiOnS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2008 15:39
Thanks small fish, cant wait for Pom2!

btw: I loved pom 1!

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2008 19:17
Quote: "I must say though that you really need to get those voice overs up in volume. Also use Audacity it kill the white noise. "

Ooh, thanks for the tip - it actually gets rid of white noise? Excellent!
Quote: "
The last dialogue needed to be cut down. I know you had to explain alot of info but it could have been cut into smaller sections through out the level. I also thought the cutscenes broke the flow of the game which had been all in real-time to that point."

Um, yeah, that would be my fault... But I don't think there are any other long bits like that from here on out.

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2008 22:33
I know it was kind of like the metal gear solid of fpsc and we probally sould of cut down on the length of the cutscenes but thay were the last thing I put in the game and I was trying to do it before my computer broke i will make sure there won't be to long in the next one please play the next few levels soon I can't wait to hear what you think of them

Butt monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2008 19:19
Sorry for spelling and grammatical er0rs.

LEVEL 5

Firstly, all I could think of was Bioshock which is a good thing, however there were a few things that could have been improved.

- Was slightly confused by the fact that all the guns I collected kept disappearing. I only got to use that mega pistol in level 4 on 2 enemies.

- I didn't like the whole back tracking part. Although enemies spawned it would have been nice to have say, the roof in the bombed area exploding ooooor, I don't know. There were alot of rooms in which interesting things could have happened.

- At first I didn't realise that the door right at the beginning was the one I was going to. So mabye you could have sign posted it a little better with say, "Door must be manually opened. See control room" or something along those lines.

LEVEL 6

- I don't know why but I just loved the first 2 rooms. The bleak mechanical style suddenly converting to the pink wallpaper of the house, which an eerie red light highlighting it.

- I didn't know why there were cracks in the wall. I'm guess that you wanted diagonal walls but they didn't quite fit?

- On the wooden gantries on both the stairwell and the dining room jammed me and I had to crawl to move.

- On the stairwell I got mass lag on the top floor.

- I thought although the level was fun it was very difficult to navigate, so again if you want to make a kind of maze like level clearly signpost the rooms.

- I was a little disapointed that the robots didn't have a "dieing" animation as I wasted alot of ammo shooting their lifeless forms. A sound would have been good here, like a powering down sound or something.

- Again, the monologue was a little dire. If you could have a look around the projector room instead of just seeing it in the cutscene (I know you used pictures for the projector etc), it would have been a little more interesting (same for the armory) and again the sound was too quiet so I missed some details.

- I also didn't like how the information seemed to get crammed in at the end of the game. You should use the info stations more often filling in little details so that the player already has a knowledge of the events which took place, so summaries don't need to be as long.

- An idea for the second part would be to use your loading screens. Instead of having a dialogue from the hero have newspaper clippings etc to fill in the story details. I really think you should add a little recap of the information gathered in part 1 :p (Not a cutscene!)

LEVEL 7

- The rocket was cool although I could have liked to have perhaps had to fight off another group of soldiers before going inside. Perhaps a wall could have exploded and soldiers would be spawned. Just something at the end instead of just the cutscene.

Overall I really enjoyed the game. What you should focus on for the second part:

- Telling the story more gradually throughout.

- Killing all cutscenes.

- Using more scripted events.

- Increasing your sound volume and quality (perhaps add more voice actors to you team).

- Little details like gun animations etc.

- Although it's a tiny little thing, using level names all the way through would be nice as I thought having two level names at the end of part 1 was a little random.

Congrats on completion. It was a really good game and if you work as hard on part 2 you'll have a killer game on your hands.

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2008 13:55
thank you for your in depth review it's just the sort of constructive criticisms I need to improve the sequel a lot more thought is going into the level layout and the way the story is being told in part2 looking back a 20 minute seminar at the end of level 6 was not a good idea and I never relished someone might not know were to go on level 5 as for the lack of set pieces that because I suck at scripting I don't think that going to change much for the sequel but the level design will most defiantly improve as for improving the voice acting when the time comes to it I will see if anyone on the forum is willing to try recording a few lines what your voice like Butt monkey? and the reason the walls where the way they were on level 6 was because I wanted to make it look as if the manor was filled with secret rooms hidden behind fake walls

Butt monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2008 16:21
I can do some voice acting for you small fish. I'm Scottish though, not English And I also have a very deep voice.

I'm glad your taking everything that people have said into consideration. I don't see many people following that sort of advice in alot of other threads, so kudos to you for listening.

Can I also add there was a hat stand without a texture in level 6 ^^

Kilgore
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2008 16:22
I may be able to help with some voice acting, too, if required.

Good luck with POM2!
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2008 18:21
The seminar was all my idea... *holds up hands in rueful admission* I kind of wanted to make the game realistic in that you wouldn't be fighting *all* the time - and it seemed like a good idea to fill the player in on Martian history when they weren't fighting. So... yeah...

I don't think there are any other long cutscenes. I'll try to find ways of keeping them to a minimum and using in-game Pneu-speak messages to inform the player.

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2008 20:11
don't blame yourself kiwi If it weren't for you my game wouldn't have been as half as good
as for voice acting thanks everyone i will contact you at the time also I've almost finished an early version of the first room of the first level will post soon

SKELITOR
Years of Service
User Offline
I had the probs with missing textures just look for them in your fpsc files folder and put them in your finished game files.

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it violated the AUP.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 04:18:20
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 04:18:20