Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Project Squared

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2008 10:52
Well, I'm interested in learning 3D modelling overall, Blender just seems like it'd be a nice choice since its free.

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
DrEnzyme
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2008 10:58
Quote: "Well, I'm interested in learning 3D modelling overall, Blender just seems like it'd be a nice choice since its free."

Can I count on you to read my tutorials if I decide to write more?

OHHHH!!! P2 just went red! Which means I have over 50 posts! I must commemorate this prestigous event...

I'll try to have something for people to look at by tommorow... Or maybe listen to...

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2008 13:20
Yes, I'd read them, I read almost everything posted here. Your tutorial was comprehensive albeit somewhat simple. Some actual modelling would be good.

Pet A Mizzle
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes and sin ce it went red you should release a DEMO! :3 xD

~Petamizzle.
DrEnzyme
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2008 02:03 Edited at: 10th Mar 2008 04:17
Lol, I'm nowhere near releasing a demo, although I had a really good idea for the demo.

In the demo I'm planning to have some pictures hanging in people's houses and at the cafe. However, when I release the demo, I probably won't have gathered enough pictures, so I was thinking of having a "your picture here" style advertising campaign. People could write me with a picture and describe why it is better than everyone elses pictures and the winners would recieve a little piece of P2 in the form of their picture hanging on the wall. Neat huh!?

Oh, and my blender tutorial was made for people like me, who want to have everything explained to them when they're starting out. Think of someone who has no modelling or game dev experience, who is probably only 11 years old and who wants to use blender. That's my target audience... Sort of... I use a lot of big words sometimes.

However, there would only be a couple of "simple" tutorials before I moved on to more difficult things like cloth physics and materials and UV mapping. One of the advanced tutorials would cover how to export models to DBP as well, seeing as that's a rather grey area for most people.

Still trying to get something ready for people to view. Give me a sec, I've only just woken up.

DrEnzyme
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2008 04:14
OK, I've got it all sorted out now.

To commemorate 50 posts, I have opened up the music archives on my website. I've composed all the music on my site and most of it will be in P2.

This also solves another problem. Now people can't download my music... Easily anyway. Unless you know a few tricks like me and can-

*cough* into the *cough* and *cough*...

*COUGH*

Happy 50 posts day!

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2008 13:32
I downloaded all of them. Thanks. They're pretty good.

I just *cough*ed on the *cough*, then *cough*ed the *cough*, found the *cough* in the *cough* and *cough*ed that into my *cough* and voila!

DrEnzyme
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2008 13:54
I didn't say that as a challenge you know.

Anyway, can I trust you to abide by the rules I've posted on my website and not redistribute my music?

I get touchy about my compositions. I've put a lot of work into them.

I don't mind you listening to them though. That's fine. And if you wanted to use them in one of your games, I'd be willing to trade for some other media...

I might even write you your own song if the price was high enough

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2008 21:57 Edited at: 10th Mar 2008 21:58
Well, I'm highly impressed by all of them. Don't worry, they're safe. I know the work going into things, I will not, have not and shall not distribute someone's work against someone's consent.

If I'd be willing to actually use them, naturally I'd ask for prior permission. I might, even, they're quite good - I can hear a lot of work went into that.

And, sorry, I take a lot of things as challenge .

DrEnzyme
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2008 02:38
Cool.

Let me know if you do want to use them though. It'd be cool to actually get something in return for my music.

I'm at 2:30 in my DM arrangement. I just passed a really difficult spot to try and arrange. I might work on the town again today.

Pet A Mizzle
Years of Service
User Offline
I want my picture on teh wall! Dx

~Petamizzle.
DrEnzyme
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2008 04:23
Quote: "I want my picture on teh wall! Dx"

All right, calm down. I've still got to do a lot of things before I get to that stage. It does sound like a good idea though.

Pet A Mizzle
Years of Service
User Offline
I agree, very good!

~Petamizzle.
A Tea Spoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2008 00:06
w00t!

DrEnzyme
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2008 00:55
Quote: "w00t!"

W00t indeed...

What are we wooting about?

Pet A Mizzle
Years of Service
User Offline
You being a genious by making this.

~Petamizzle.
DrEnzyme
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2008 02:41
lol. Hehehe. That sounds like a cause for a woot.

Not much to update. I didn't get around to doing any work on P2 yesterday. I'm quite busy today but I'll see if I can finish the Church or something... I might make the blank picture frame too...

Coming May I won't be able to do much work on P2 at all. I start studying Interactive Gaming on the 28th of April, which is a full time course. Still, I'll try to do work on weekends and weeknights when I don't have any homework.

DrEnzyme
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2008 12:15
Today I made the effort to finish the church and marquee, two buildings that until now had been only partially completed.

So, with those two out of the way, I have 8 buildings left to model (yipee single digits!). The Housing Complex, the Quinn Building, Quinn Manor, the Swimming Pool, the Armor shop, the Weapons shop, the Mayoral house and Duck Manor. I also have to mark out the field, festival and cemetary areas.

Anyway, here's a screeny for all of you who are interested. The transparency on the Marquee is a bit awkward until you're up close but I can't do anything about it and I can't be bothered trying to fix it. It's a problem I'll leave until I haven't got anything better to do.

Pet A Mizzle
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice Work!

~Petamizzle.
Need some money? Get easy money from free Serveys!
DrEnzyme
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2008 02:25
Thanks. I realised after I posted this up that the church has no windows...

I'll fix it later.

In the mean time, I've created some of the blank Picture frames in preperation for the "Your Picture Here" event. I'll have that up and running as soon as I've completed the town and released the first demo.

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2008 22:11
@DrEnzyme
Seing as you have such a high framerate, you could turn on anti aliasing so that those fences render correctly

Pet A Mizzle
Years of Service
User Offline
66 is a high FPS rate?

~Petamizzle.
DrEnzyme
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2008 00:47 Edited at: 15th Mar 2008 00:50
Could you tell me the command I would use to set antialiasing up? I've never used it before in DBP.

Edit: Pet a mizzle, I've set the frame rate to 60. When I have it set to 0 it goes at 1000 FPS.

Pet A Mizzle
Years of Service
User Offline
1000 Holy sh!t.

~Petamizzle.
DrEnzyme
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2008 02:02
I already mentioned the frame rate thing before. If you're careful with the way you code something and keep all the uneccessary things out of your game, you can achieve a high framerate too. It's when you start to add things like 'polygon collision' that your frame rate takes a hit... Although, I must admit, I didn't think Sparky's collision DLL was so fast. I mean, it's FFFAAAASSSTTT! I have it being performed 7 times in the main loop so far and the frame rate is still abnormally high.

After searhing the forums and the Index of code, I couldn't find any command for increasing the antialiasing, and I don't think it would help anyway. The fences render fine when you're up close and it doesn't really matter what they look like when you're far away.

Gunna keep at the town. I'll have something else done soon.

DrEnzyme
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2008 03:24 Edited at: 15th Mar 2008 03:54
Okay, here's a picture of the armor shop

If I'd eased just a little bit to the left, you would've been able to see the blank picture frames with the competition email address on them. Oh well, you'll just have to wait.

EDIT: NOW I remember what I was going to say...

This, is the Bahrain World Trade Center. It has given me an idea. The Square has basically everything it needs to sustain itself. Food is shipped in via the docks, Law and Order is maintained via the local authorities, there's a church for religion and weapons for the war mongers. The only thing The Square does not have, is power. I think I'm going to change that.

You see, the Bahrain Trade Center is the first building in the world to integrate it's own power source. It is outfitted with 3 wind turbines, which [will] cover about 15% of it's annual power consumption. I think I'll do the same thing with the Quinn Tower, on a different scale. The tower will be like one giant wind turbine, and provide the entire square with electricity.

I like to think things through, if you haven't figured that out already. IMO It's good to maintain a certain element of realism in games, even if you do turn all the characters into boxes and various anthromorphic monstrosities.

Pet A Mizzle
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmmm I have a question with how you constructed the game engine so far, are you useing a engine you used or did you use like torgue engine or irchlicht <--- Spell Check?

Also did you only configure so far the movement and jumping speed/height or more?

~Petamizzle.
DrEnzyme
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2008 23:52
I'm creating the engine myself. The idea behind P2 is that I'm going to create a 3d game. As such, I want as much original code as possible. To date, the only external code I've used has been Sparky's, but that was almost a given considering DBPs poor built in collision detection.

The Q bots I've made can only move around and swing their weapons. Jumping, if you'll excuse the pun, is still in the air. I'm not sure how I'm going to implement jumping or if Sparkys can handle jumping. I'll figure it out later. At the moment, my sole priority is getting the town finished. BTW, I've only got 6 buildings left to make. I finished the weapons shop yesterday.

Pet A Mizzle
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice work!
May I ask how many lines of original codes are implemmented allready?

For jumping how about move character up say 6 blocks and back down 6 blocks through time limit of 3 seconds. so the jump will take 1.5 seconds to go up and 1.5 to go down. Either that or making it so he has 0 or - weight and then it somehow comes back.

Or am I j st talking total nonsense? xD

DO NOT PUT AFFILIATE SCHEMES IN YOUR SIG
DrEnzyme
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2008 08:21
There aren't many lines of code at the moment. Probably about 500 original lines.

As I said, jumping is something I'm going to think about later. Thinking about it now will only add to my problems. With my last project (which got abandoned), I was hung up on every little detail. In short, it was a mess.

I need to keep myself focused on one (and only one) detail at a time. To try and think of the project as a whole makes it seem out of reach. By focusing on little bits at a time, I gain the satisfaction of seeing something small work and it motivates me to complete something else.

Similarly, by suggesting a jumping strategy to me, you've taken my mind away from the task at hand (trying to complete the town). If I don't finish the town now, chances are that it won't get finished at all. Hence why I keep my mind focused... Like a laser beam

My brain is kinda complex but I know that my strategy works. I've had about 100 unfinished projects over the years and I've only recently started to take game development seriously and focus my attention on one thing at a time.

Have you noticed how many people abandon their projects on this site? IMO people fail for one of three main reasons:
1) They set their expectations too high. They try to make an MMO with nothing but DBP
2) They don't stay motivated or the immensity of their project forces them to quit.
3) They move on to bigger and better things. A lot of the projects on this board (that are still alive) were created using DBC. I think that a lot of people would have quit their projects when DBP came out because of the shiny new toys that weren't available in DBC.

Pet A Mizzle
Years of Service
User Offline
I see! AL though I must say that is a VERY interesting stratedgy I must say, but if you keep on task with one thing is it not possible you could forget some good Ideas you KNOW you could create? Or do you jot it down on a peice of paper.

Grrrr you ALL!
DrEnzyme
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2008 23:41
If I come up with a good idea for a weapon or a piece of armor or a plot feature, I write it down in my P2 notebook, then forget about it...

That way my mind is still focused with laser beam precision.

As long as I don't think about a way to implement my ideas after I write them down, I can still focus on one thing.

Yeah. It's weird.

Pet A Mizzle
Years of Service
User Offline
O.o

THat's basically what I do . xD

So yea, keep on working on the town!!

Nevermind jumping,

Wait... What is jumping? O.o

Grrrr you ALL!
Pet A Mizzle
Years of Service
User Offline
O.o

THat's basically what I do . xD

So yea, keep on working on the town!!

Nevermind jumping,

Wait... What is jumping? O.o

Grrrr you ALL!
DrEnzyme
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2008 02:17 Edited at: 19th Mar 2008 02:18
Here's a little update. I figured out what Unicode is, so now instead of typing P2, I can type P². Isn't that lovely? ☺

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2008 13:25 Edited at: 19th Mar 2008 13:26
Nice. What about this place they are going to build in Dubai (was mad when I lived there but they are going balistic now):-
http://www.designbuild-network.com/projects/dubai-tower/

Also heard about this giant wind tower thingy (solar tower/chimney). Basically is a *massive* chimney effort that will dwarf any skyscraper ever made and produce loads of leccy by the action of the wind falling through it. You could have a building like it, but improved by having apartments in the walls. Nice. Would be like 1000 storeys high or so.

http://www.reuk.co.uk/200MW-Solar-Tower.htm

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Current fave quote : "She was like a candle in the wind.... unreliable...."
DrEnzyme
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2008 00:02
I certainly like the idea of a Darrieus-type rotor. I was wondering how I was going to stick a wind turbine on the Quinn Tower. I think I'm going to be cruel and let the villagers light candles when the wind stops blowing though. Solar panels are too... Predictable. Thank you very much for going to such lengths just to help me with ideas. I really appreciate it.

DrEnzyme
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2008 03:02
Over the past few days I've taken a break to do some composing. Namely, my Dance Macabre arrangement.

Dance Macabre is without a doubt the toughest piece I've ever had to arrange. It's 6-7 minutes long, fully orchestrated and all I have to go off is a video and a midi file...

So that's why it's taking so long. Currently I've arranged 3:50 of the piece... At this rate, it should be done in a couple of weeks (assuming I manage to arrange 20 seconds a day ◄ Which is a lot!!)

Pet A Mizzle
Years of Service
User Offline
Keep it up, and what I think would be awesome, is that a part of the mystory of the murder could be that the quinn building really DIDN'T provide the electricity and there is an outside source of wind turbines and you ned to investigate!!!

HMm.. after reading it through it sounds kind of dumb. xD Lol

Try making 2 solar towers and little tunnels connecting 'em both and putting the turbines on both sides so 1 'bridge' across = 2 turbines.

Grrrr you ALL!
MUnit
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey Ben its Matt. i finally registered on TGC i decided its about time i did since i have been keeping up with your updates on here for a while. I like the progress with your game so far its looking and sounding very cool. Next time i see you i hope to see a running demo lol
DrEnzyme
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2008 01:20
Matt! Awesome! I'm coming up this April to see Dad before moving up to Auckland. I'll be sure to catch you then.

IN MY OPINION:

I need to voice my opinion somewhere, and since I don't have a microphone or a stage... Or a cult... This seems like the ideal place to do it.

*ergh hmm*

Things are looking good for Game Developers at the moment. The old model of having a publisher dominate you while your company slaves it's arse off for a mere 20% is falling to pieces. To quote Corey Bridges (One of the big boys at netscape etc): "Publishers are dead, they just don't know it yet". (Doesn't that make you feel all tingly inside?)

Corey's a well respected fellow, and if he says it, I respect it.

EA is also working this out for themselves. Their failure with Westwood taught them an important lesson: You can't force greatness. The publisher has to back off, let the creativity flow and then sit around the money fire to reap the profits. They vocalised this at 2008's GDC conference.

Of course, I worked this out long before either of those guys. The signs are a plenty and it's pretty obvious that the model doesn't work. Well, I for one am not going to be a part of it. Too many great franchises have fallen at the hands of big business. When I start my company (for real), I'm going to take some risks and figure out a way to circumvent the publisher. Whether I do this through internet distribution or by making the game free (battlefield heroes free, not cave story free) or through something completely different will be up to me. What do suits know about gaming? I say, give the power back to those who know what fun is. Give it to the Game Developers.

The Game Developers are the ones who get into the business for the fun, the publishers are the ones who get into it for the money. You can test who is right through a very simple formula:

fun ►(leads to) money.

It's that simple. People only play games to have fun. That is the core of gaming. If a game isn't fun, people don't buy it. The more fun a game is to play, the more people will buy it. Publishers have got the formula wrong. In their opinion:

money = fun.

Their idea of fun is to pour millions of dollars into any concept, in the belief that the more you spend, the more you will make. However, without 'the fun', a game is nothing. You can have the sharpest graphics, the crispest sound and the prettiest picture on the front of the box, yet it is all for naught if the game isn't fun.

Gaming needs to be broken down to it's roots once more. Back to when you made a game to have fun, you played games to have fun and you shared them with others because they were fun. Most of today's games are too safe, are too rigidly controlled by the publisher and are based on six-month-old data that tries to provide a text book definition of fun.

You tell me, is that fun?

Pet A Mizzle
Years of Service
User Offline
I DEFINATLY AGREE WITH YOU!

Most likely why i'm trying to work solo on my career with this, then I could do all the desicions myself. Most likely all my games will be free except for a few! <------ THis is later one when I accually know A GOOD AMOUNT of C++ and am good at 3d.

MMORPG HERE I COME!!![In like 4 yrs....]

Grrrr you ALL!
MUnit
Years of Service
User Offline
Sweet give us a yell when your down and we shall arrange something
DrEnzyme
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2008 12:40
Just a little update to tell you that I took a little break throughout the Easter holidays... Then I got hooked on Diablo 2 and decided to clock the game...

So now I've finished with that and I'll start working on P² again this week... Although I won't be making as much progress due to the fact that I now have a fixed term job picking grapes.

DrEnzyme
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2008 06:34
I just passed 5.00 in my arrangement of Dance Macabre. Coincidentally, I've just passed 50 pages as well. For those of you who don't know, music is written on manuscript and the program I use accommodates this format as well. Hence, you end up with pages and pages worth of music for even the smallest compositions...

I think it's kind of spooky that the music reaches the 50th page at the 5 minute mark. I also think it's annoying that every page of music I arrange translates to only 6 seconds worth of music. Talk about slow going.

Oh, and I've uploaded a picture of Quinn Manor too. It's not completely finished, but I don't know much about mansions and manors so I'll just leave it as it is for now.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2008 04:53
Looking very good. I love the progress.

3.11 We do not tolerate posts made for the purpose of putting down another forum member, group of members, religion, our company, our staff or any of our moderators, past or present.
DrEnzyme
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2008 07:00
Thanks for your support Xenocythe. Comments are to me what spinach is to Popeye.

Anyway, I just wanted to drop a note to show off my pretty new avatar. It took me the better part of today and last night to make the 3d, render the animation and then combine it into a GIF.

I learnt some valuable lessons today. Including how to turn a 3 megabyte GIF into a 150 KB GIF. That's right, my avatar is only 150 KBs!

I wanted it to go a little faster, but unfortunately GIMP said it would eat me if I made it any faster so I couldn't

Anyway. I think it's passable; and in the end, if I'm happy with it, It's good enough.

I'm still working on the town (I've made/ am making the housing complex) and I've nearly finished Dance Macabre. I have about 20 seconds to go. I should have it up to listen to in a few days.

I'm also working on some other music and a few little things. Stay tuned my friends!

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2008 11:38
Well, honestly, this doesn't look that good.

It looks absolutely gorgeous. I've got no idea what you're talking about when you mention that Dance Macabre, but luckily, I can see and read your progress and it appears to be good. I loved your 'rant' about the game industry, and your programming strategy. You're making this a extremely interesting thread to follow.

Your new avatar looks pretty cool, by the way. Keep it coming!

DrEnzyme
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2008 14:53
Thank you very much Rami. I try my best.

Dance Macabre is going to be the theme tune for P². It's very long. 6:30 or something. I'm trying to arrange it (I.e, take the song to pieces and make my own version of it (to avoid copyright etc)) and I have about 20 seconds to go. It's sounding very cool at the moment.

It's good to know people are listening to my rants as well . As a game developer in training, I've decided to set myself some goals, and vocalising those goals is a good way to set them in motion. For instance: "I'm going to finish this game" or "I'm going to bypass the publisher"...

I'm going to become a millionaire

You know what's sad? I lost half the blender file for my avatar. Blender doesn't have a save on quit feature, and I hadn't saved the file in ages, and I accidentally shut Blender down before saving the file. So now my avatar is the only version of the file that I have left.

No matter how many times I lose files, I still forget to save every now and again.

I hope I can keep this thread interesting for you to read, because let's face it, it's probably going to be a good long while before P² is finished. Who knows, maybe some of my training at the Media Design School will come in handy in finishing this project...

Wait a minute... I take that back. If my training at the Media Design School doesn't come in handy for helping me finish this project, I will destroy them ...

[cue evil laugh]

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2008 15:16
Oh dear. You should add these texts to a hidden session in the credits .

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 06:23:23
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 06:23:23