Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Project Squared

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2008 17:46

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2008 17:50 Edited at: 16th Sep 2008 17:50

DarkBasic Pro Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2008 23:28
definitely not 4 or 1, 2 would be reasonable though incredibly hard, it's just best to rewrite it either way and 3 would be optimal

DrEnzyme
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2008 00:19
I'm really glad there's still interest in Project Squared, despite the fact that I've been directing all my attention to my school work. The second recode will commence sometime near the end of this year, when I have the time to do so. By that time, I hope to have some comprehensive documentation, including what was sorely lacking from the start: a production schedule.

Does anyone have an opinion as to what SDK I should use for the recode? Basic is fine, but I need tighter control over memory allocations. I want pointers... No, I NEED pointers. And I want to make the entire thing OO too.

I also might need another team member or two...

In the mean time, I have to focus on our impending end of year project: making a game in 9 weeks. Two weeks pre-prod, 6 weeks production and 1 week post. It will be epic.

So, opinions?

DarkBasic Pro Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2008 01:43
SDK? As in are you debating whether to maybe use DarkGDK? DarkBASIC? DarkBasic Professional?

Personally I think you can't get better than either OpenGL, DirectX is a great choice as well...

On the other hand, if you aren't great at organizing code then DB will just make it harder I think

DrEnzyme
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2008 04:35
I'm debating whether to use DarkGDK or DirectX. DirectX would take a lot longer for me to set up, I'm learning it now at school but unfortunately we don't cover things like shaders or animation, so I'd have to teach myself that sort of thing (which would take time). However, there are a lot of benefits to using DirectX. Namely, I'm not confined to the limitations of DGDK, and I'd have a lot better understanding of what I'd implement.

On the other hand, DarkGDK is quick and easy, two features that I find rather attractive. It would take less time to implement then DirectX and I wouldn't have to worry about problems like animation etc...

Hmm... More opinions perhaps?

DarkBasic Pro Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2008 06:10
OpenGL: Easy to use, loads of tutorials and support (you got support from mltiple platforms too!)

DarkGDK: True it is quick and easy and so much like DBPro, and if you had to you could pull up a couple quick DirectX functions.

DirectX: I don't see myself using it within 5 years really. I don't know about you though. Since you are learning it in school, it might be great to get you some more practice. And of course DirectX is most powerful of them all, also means it's the hardest of them all

DrEnzyme
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2008 08:35
Quote: "OpenGL: Easy to use, loads of tutorials and support (you got support from mltiple platforms too!)

DarkGDK: True it is quick and easy and so much like DBPro, and if you had to you could pull up a couple quick DirectX functions.

DirectX: I don't see myself using it within 5 years really. I don't know about you though. Since you are learning it in school, it might be great to get you some more practice. And of course DirectX is most powerful of them all, also means it's the hardest of them all "

Hmm... That's funny. I'm not speaking from experience, but our teacher described OpenGL as being harder than DirectX. I don't think I'm going to learn another language just so that I can put my game on Mac... and the other one...

I'm leaning toward DGDK. I'm not sure how easy it is to incorporate your own functionality or use other libraries in it though. For instance, say I wanted to make a particle system in DirectX, and use that with Dark GDK, could that be done, or would the computer start throwing up and then die violently?

Deagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2008 09:29
You should try Irrlicht! It might be a little harder to get used to than DGDK, but it really is worth it. (Irrlicht is 3D rendering engine, not really a game engine, but there's IrrKlang sound engine and other great librarys you can use to complete your SDK) You should check it, http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/

Deagle aka D-Eagle
DrEnzyme
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2008 13:52
Thanks Deagle. I had a quick look at Irrlicht, it looks interesting, but I still don't know enough about it to give it serious thought. I'll keep looking for more information about it though.

Oh, and if I switch tools from DBPro to something else, I'll still keep this thread here, in case anyone was wondering.

Keep your ideas rolling in. The more the merrier.

Eevil Weevil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2008 15:50
Umm... what scriptiing system will you use?

Impossible? Anything is impossible. 48'6F'77'20'64'61'72'65'20'79'6F'75'20'77'6F'72'6B'20'6F'75'74'20'6D'79'20'73'69'67'21

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2008 16:10 Edited at: 11th Oct 2008 16:11
Hmmm...Are you willing to spend money? Or do you want a free solution? And how experienced of a C++ programmer are you?

If you want free and you're inexperienced, then you're best off with DarkGDK.

If you want free and you're moderately experienced, then use Irrlicht with the available libraries for it for a complete game engine.

If you want free and you're pretty advanced, go for Ogre3D w/ free libraries.. It's probably the fastest and visually the best of these three, but is definitely the hardest, especially when it comes to setting up a project.

If you're willing to pay, then check out Torque, 3D GameStudio, and C4. I've heard Torque can be hard to use and somewhat buggy at times, but I've also heard that once you get the hang of it it's pretty good. Plus it's only $150. 3DGS, I've also heard bad things but I've heard it's very easy. Price is $99 for non-commercial, and $199 for commercial with added network and shader support. C4 is definitely the best of the 3, but it's $350.

That's just my two cents, I'm sure most of what I said can be argued. Personally I would go with Irricht, because it's lightning-fast and easy to use.

Eevil Weevil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2008 18:46
Stick to what you know.

Impossible? Anything is impossible. 48'6F'77'20'64'61'72'65'20'79'6F'75'20'77'6F'72'6B'20'6F'75'74'20'6D'79'20'73'69'67'21

Penfold
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2009 15:27
Quote: "1) I stick with the code I've got, and make the best of a bad situation. I don't go back and rework my design, and somewhere in the late 20s I finish Project Squared.
2) I Rework my design, but stick with the code I have now.
3) I rework my design and recode the entire game. Given this option I'd like to use Dark GDK the second time around, as C++ has become my forte.

4) I don't like it, but it's an option. I abandon this project, rescope and rescale, and try my hand at something that's a lot more achievable. Project Squared gets left in the "I'll do it later" pile for when I have a bigger team, and we see the game again twenty years in the future."

I'm for option 2 or 3.. would be a shame to see this die. I've actually come back to take a look from work in a quiet spell.

Although saying that I think option one is still feasable. get it finished and then do a rewrite for game 2.

as for setting a schedule for a rewrite I wouldn't bother and feel it would probably be a waste of your time. I know from my own personal experience that school/work issues will throw that out of the window. Also it will make you feel pressured and you will prolly end up clock watching thinking *I should really be much further ahead than I am now* and you'll end up hating your creation and any little problem will make you feel so much worse.

I'd still like to see a current version uploaded at the point you are now to see what its like.

'Ooh 'eck chief'...'crumbs'

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-26 15:20:15
Your offset time is: 2024-06-26 15:20:15