Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Game Design Theory / 2008 Text Adventure Competition

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2008 17:46 Edited at: 20th Jun 2008 17:47
Quote: "Easiest method would be to have a seperate file per location (1.dat, 2.dat etc),"

haha, This is exactly what i had up until last night or so. That is going to become VERY crowded. It may be better to try and make one note pad file and set it up so that its almost like scripting, sorta. For example, he is a sample of a small text adventure in my engine (this is the notepad file)

It seems with that kind of code, you will just have one huge notepad file instead of hundreds.

This is my WIP, not even ready for a WIP thread yet though.http://smallgroupproductions.com/
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2008 17:51
I'm going for the hundred files approach. Per 'level' I have about 7 files. I'm planning about 14-15 levels. So, over a hundred files . Plus an easy-to-use editor in Visual Basic 2008. Which I just started learning. And don't understand. But it'll come. It'll come. I hope.

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2008 18:32
Quote: "It seems with that kind of code, you will just have one huge notepad file instead of hundreds"
Checkout the code I posted above.

Quote: "I'm going for the hundred files approach"
Just don't forget to class the project as a media type and attach all the files to the project so it all gets embedded in the one EXE (at least on the final compile).

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Current fave quote : "She was like a candle in the wind.... unreliable...."
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2008 18:46
Yup, was planning on doing that, although I might decide not to so you judges can see how it works .

Destrugter 1
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks a ton! This will really help me a lot. I'll get started working right away to converting everything into data files.

http://www.runenerds.com - a RuneScape community that is growing. (New community)
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2008 19:03
Quote: "I might decide not to so you judges can see how it works"
Nice. You have to provide an example of TGC code anyways so may as well do a judge version (with datafiles and example code) and a public version.

Quote: "Thanks a ton! This will really help me a lot"
No worries. Was fun for a few hours.

Cheers

Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
I MAY enter, Not sure.

I have a rather unique idea?

Where can I get the codes. I know how to build it with codes. GET IT. I HOPE U UNDERSTAND. DUHH
Boe
Years of Service
User Offline
Personally, I have the concept of option menus, but the game has a random response based on your choice, meaning you can go down different routes if you play multiplet times.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2008 01:23
Quote: "Cool, you can't really beat writing games for assignments and projects in Uni"

Yup, though people who do computer games programming courses get all the fun. (I would have done it if game creation was more than a hobby)

"Experience never provides its judgments with true or strict universality; but only (through induction) with assumed and comparative universality." - Immanuel Kant
Bad Monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2008 00:20 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2008 00:30
Excellent! I will definitely be entering this competition. I just programmed an awesome engine that I might share with everyone else. It has multi-line, word wrapping capability, and up to five options. It has an undo feature so you can go back the way you came with no harm. If I want, I can add a health meter and scoring system so that players can try to achieve a high score.

Everything is programmed with DBPro and lua (unity) plugin. Only a hundred lines of code.

NOTE: maybe this thread could become a sticky, and the old 2007 thread can be unstickied?

Visit my website:
http://www.artistsareus.com
Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2008 01:17
Prizes have been updated to include one copy of Play Basic

Sorry about my sporatic appearances guys, I've been super busy with stuff and had a bit of a "hell week" the past few days. But it seems that Dazzag had everything in control in my absence anyway, hehe.

Destrugter 1
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh man bad monkey that would be sweet if you put up the undo thing...I'm currently trying to figure how I can do that.

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2008 12:13 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2008 12:15
Quote: "that would be sweet if you put up the undo thing"
Depends how complicated you have made things. If going with something simple like a gamebook, then the code I posted earlier wouldn't need much changes. Infact here is a modified version:-
It's just a simple undo to undo the last command, and would be better with a stacking array system, but I'm too hungover and busy today. Bah...

Quote: "it seems that Dazzag had everything in control in my absence anyway"
Well I'm off for a week on wednesday, and between seeing Def Leppard/Whitesnake/Linkin Park and a few other things, I'm probably going to be quite quiet. And then moving in another month back to the UK. Oh well at least I get my car and decent computer back. Oh, and one or two other things that I won't mention here

Cheers

Outscape
Years of Service
User Offline
does it have to be restricted to that the person has to follow a strict storyline?
or allow the player do what they want around a storyline.

also are we making the game for TGC as a competition (so they use it at a later date)
or are we just making it for a competition?

Creators of Outscape
Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2008 00:50
Quote: "does it have to be restricted to that the person has to follow a strict storyline?
or allow the player do what they want around a storyline."

I assume you mean does it have to be linear or non-linear? If I understand you correctly then no, you don't have to stick to a single storyline. But you'd score more impressively if you focused your energy on just one story... well, probably anyway, because we'd have more time to get acquainted with your characters and such.

Quote: "also are we making the game for TGC as a competition (so they use it at a later date)
or are we just making it for a competition?"

TGC won't be using your entries in any way. Once the competition ends, you're free to use your game however you'd like. After all, you made it

Outscape
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2008 01:06 Edited at: 24th Jun 2008 01:06
i ment there is a storyline but its up to the person how they complete it
instead of:
your attacking an angry drunk
its
which angry drunk do you wish to attack

Creators of Outscape
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2008 02:14
Yes, a text adventure should give the player some options, not just print a story on the screen.

Los Mineros are back in progress!
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2008 03:08
It's a game after all - you can tell how many people whom are unfamiliar with this genre.

They can be a normal game, just with words instead of graphics - though images and music can be used.

Of course there needs to be a story element to it, because that's part of the point and it's what makes them interesting...though a pacman text adventure would be an amusing idea, but it could get boring.

Quote: "You're in a maze
>Go North
You're still in a maze - walls on either side
>Go North
>Go North
You come to a turning
>Go West
You see a ghost.
>Go East
You see a ghost.
>Oh Bugger
You are dead."

Mind you, a lot of mud games are like that.

"Experience never provides its judgments with true or strict universality; but only (through induction) with assumed and comparative universality." - Immanuel Kant
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2008 03:50 Edited at: 24th Jun 2008 03:51
Or Tetris:

Quote: "You see a brick floor in the distance below you. You are falling.
>Fall left.
You are still falling, slightly to the left of where you were first.
>Fall left.
You are still falling, even a bit more to the left. Below you is an opening in the brick wall, overshadowed by the bricks around it.
>Fall fast.
You crush to your gory death, and as you land you vaguely see the structure next to you blinking and suddenly disappearing. Your soul is resurrected.
>Okay.
You see a brick floor in the distance below you. You are falling.
>Quit."

Or Pong could be epic.

Quote: "It's coming! Hurry, you need to move up!
> Move up.
Faster!
> Move up faster.
ALL THE WAY!!!
> Move up all the way.
Oh dear, the ball bounced! Down, fast!
> Move Down.
Yes! YES! You hit it. It's going back!
> Great, now what?
The other bat hits the ball back towards you. OMG! Move down!
> Quit."

Or Super Mario.
Quote: "> Run right.
There's a question-mark block above you.
> Jump.
You smash your head against the block. Your head spins and you have an headache. A mushroom falls from the questionmark block.
> Take mushroom.
Take an aspirin first. You have a headache, remember?
> Take aspirin then take mushroom.
It could be bad for you?
> Take it anyway.
There are happy clouds in the sky, green smiling hills and floating bricks above sentient turtles as you continue your quest to find 8 identically looking castles to save the pink-dressed princess from the giant, green dragon.
> The mushroom was bad, wasn't it?
Yes it was. A cloud throws a hedgehog at you which pierces your skull.
> Quit."

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2008 09:20
Quote: "i ment there is a storyline but its up to the person how they complete it"
Even simple gamebooks had many different endings. When they first came out they used to advertise this fact. I still remember "Now with upto 14 unique endings!"

Out of interest, a few years ago I looked into gamebooks again (I have loads) and found that a load (including the Lone Wolf series - one of the best written IMO) had been put online and oked by the authors. Nice. I started to write a PDA program to interpret the HTML but got bored as usual. After all you can browse the web with a PDA, even if it isn't as neat. Infact some of those not so great "Choose your own adventure" original books (got mine free with Weetabix I think) are out too, and being not that big or sophisticated would be easy as hell to load into my example above. Anyone interested?

Cheers

Outscape
Years of Service
User Offline
i used to love game books
there now on the shelf gathering dust....

Creators of Outscape
Outscape
Years of Service
User Offline
is it still a text game if it has 3d movies
my friend says it becomes 3d

Creators of Outscape
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2008 00:27
If the movies have anything to do with advancing the story at all, they would disqualify your game as a text adventure.

Just remember that for it to be a text adventure, the story and gameplay must be entirely conveyed entirely as text.

Los Mineros are back in progress!
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2008 10:37
Yeah, the media should just be a nice addition. Last year the rule was that if you used media it should have an option to turn it off, and the default should be off. For example, don't have the answer to a puzzle be only obtainable from an image or video. It should all come from the text. The media is just gloss in this case.

Cheers

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2008 17:02
Quote: "is it still a text game if it has 3d movies
my friend says it becomes 3d"

If you had a video of the player shooting some people and jumping into a car and driving off - no. You would have to actually say, "You shoot some people and jump into a car and drive off". Otherwise it's not a text adventure.

I'm not actually a Kiwi, I just randomly thought it up one day.
Outscape
Years of Service
User Offline
its just that im adding movies in certain parts that the person doesnt play to explain parts

Creators of Outscape
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2008 19:46
I'm sure you could explain it by typing it - adding some description, I mean if you can see it, you can read it, as it's a text adventure comp.

The media I'm using is only atmospheric, music in the background and a background to match the tone.

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2008 06:17
yea, good music is a must, and then im thinkin some backdrops that wont really be there the hole time, like, text helpers if you will. Not pictures that are needed to understand the story.

This is my WIP, not even ready for a WIP thread yet though.http://smallgroupproductions.com/
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2008 18:47
I'm late to the party--- so sorry!

Quote: "Cool. Matt, don't forget to get a mod to unsticky the old 2007 thread and sticky this one."

Done and done!

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2008 20:00
Quote: "good music is a must"
Erm not really. Music at all is only an option. I can really think of only 1 classic text adventure that even had music (Neverending Story). If you include music then I will add to the technical rating if done well. If it is really good and really adds to the game (say changing music type when going into battle and the like) then will deffo effect my scoring.

Quote: "Not pictures that are needed to understand the story"
Yeah, that will be a mark down. You should be able to play with the media completely turned off (an option would be good) and it would make no difference. Media should give no advantage in this competition, and definitely should not be mandatory to solving puzzles.

Ah, back in sunny UK (rain) for a week. Just saw Def Leppard and Whitesnake in London. Tops. I'll swap my bribe currency from beer to liking of the Leppard if you want

Cheers

Bad Monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Before I continue adding features to my engine, I would like you show the judges what I have done so far.

This is a demo of a game I am creating. I use some sprites and some sounds in it so I would like to know if what I am doing is legal for the competition. The final game wouldn't have any media that is different than what is in this demo.

Visit my website:

Attachments

Login to view attachments
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2008 07:08
I don't think anybody's going to be able to open that file...
Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2008 09:55
Why not? I can open it fine. I just have to add a name before the .zip then it works.
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2008 23:15
Oh ok

I just thought that between having the [1] in the extention and no name something was going to get messed up.
Bad Monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
So, was my game good for the competition? I had sounds and some image graphics in it, but nothing I thought broke any rules.

Visit my website:
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2008 01:08
I'm not a judge but I think it looks okay. I didn't play that thoroughly but it looked like you used music for atmosphere and the graphics were just pictures of text which faded in and out, which is fine. (Since the player just sees text even though it's an image, it should still count as "text" - though, with the lax rules, that shouldn't be a problem.)

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2008 03:21
I just got a very crazy idea for combat... Combat similar to the art of getting a strike in a bowling game...

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2008 03:54
Images that display text only were even allowed last year, so your entry is good to go .

Argon Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2008 18:42 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2008 00:50
how about creating a sample project/image of what is allowed. not a sample game, but a sample interface to say "We the judges mean this when we say ... , so here's your guidelines..."
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2008 02:18 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2008 02:24
Quote: "how about creating a sample project/image of what is allowed. not a sample game, but a sample interface to say "We the judges mean this when we say ... , so here's your guidelines...""

If you use MISoft's Eternal Equinox as an example for Text Adventures (I'm sure there's a demo), I'm sure some of these questions will answer themselves - or look at last year's entries. It uses images for backgrounds (and a coin image for the money) and has music running the background - you can explore different towns and have plenty of choices. The download above, well it looks fine to me, if it wasn't then I'd have to throw my entry out of the window and start again.

If it really helps, this is what I've got - it comes with changing background music (there's a couple of writing edits needed in there though):

You'll notice 'use', so there's an inventory system as well (though basic) and of course other character who talk - some give clues, like in this instance the character is in jail and his options could lead to death, or freedom, his friend in the other jail cell says something that might give a clue that will lead to their escape (being the first puzzle, the answer is dead easy)

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2008 15:16
Actually I have question of my own.

Bad language? So far my characters have found it appropriate to swear - if I need to censor them I will, I sure writing '$%^%!' will get the idea across if need be.

Outscape
Years of Service
User Offline
does this count as an adventure?
im gona add a bit of a storyline and a tornament board etc
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=132472&b=8&p=0

Creators of Outscape

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=132472&b=8
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2008 19:19
Hey guys, you've probably noticed it, but I wrote this in mind for the Text Adventure Competition and thought it might prove useful to people who have the attention span to read it.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=132656&b=19&p=0

It's got a lot there, but I wouldn't say it's complete. But I'm sure ideas will arise from it or certain approaches - or at least I hope.

Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2008 23:07
Wow nice to see this back.

Matt want to make sure of something; the entry is valid as long as you use a TGC product in the game. Does that include things like darkmatter, soundmatter etc or does it need to be DBpro, darkgdk etc to meet that requirement

Long absent
Hobgoblin Lord

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2008 23:53
I believe you can use TGC stuff as long as you code your own game. (That is, you can't use an IF engine that you yourself didn't make.)

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2008 22:49
I'm using swear words, and the rules don't state otherwise so they're okay.

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2008 23:52 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2008 23:57
Quote: "I'm using swear words, and the rules don't state otherwise so they're okay"
Personally I have warm memories about swear words in text adventures. While most didn't come right out and swear at you, if you typed swear words in most of the time something funny would happen. I remember one game swore right back, another chucked you in jail (and if you did it twice you could not exit), and another (Valhalla) had Mary the Dwarf come over and hit you over the head with an axe. Nice... Heheheh, I'm not saying fill your game with swear words, but I won't mark you down for it.

Cheers

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2008 23:57
Quote: "I believe you can use TGC stuff as long as you code your own game"
I would say that some portion of the game should be created in a TGC product (even FPSC if you can figure it out for this). If you just, for example, took the media from a TGC pack and then only used a non-TGC program to create the game, then that wouldn't be allowed. Matt said you need to show a portion of your code to the judges, and I would think that code must be a TGC product. Best get Matt to confirm that though.

Cheers

Outscape
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "does this count as an adventure?
im gona add a bit of a storyline and a tornament board etc
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=132472&b=8&p=0"

Creators of Outscape

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=132472&b=8
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2008 01:14
@Outscape - I briefly had a go at your game and it looks fine. Granted, it's rather unusual, but it does use text so I can't see any problems.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 02:20:55
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 02:20:55