Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Game Design Theory / 2008 Text Adventure Competition

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2008 02:19

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Outscape
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "@Outscape - I briefly had a go at your game and it looks fine. Granted, it's rather unusual, but it does use text so I can't see any problems."

yes but is it an adventure text game?

Creators of Outscape

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=132472&b=8
Outscape
Years of Service
User Offline
and would it still count if i added pictures in the background

Creators of Outscape

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2008 15:36
Quote: "yes but is it an adventure text game?"

Not an adventure text game, but a text adventure - it's just what they're called, it's the same as Interactive Fiction.

Quote: "and would it still count if i added pictures in the background"

As long as they're not essential.

"Experience never provides its judgments with true or strict universality; but only (through induction) with assumed and comparative universality." - Immanuel Kant
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2008 18:19
tha_rami : Yes, I thought pretty much the same. Technically you could make a nice 3D splash screen in a TGC product to start up, then execute whatever exe you wanted to. It's upto Matt what the exact rules are with this ie. what percentage of the game is TGC made to allow entry. And how do you prove that? Personally I would say it would be a case by case decision with the main IF engine should being mainly TGC made, with an appropriate section of code submitted to the judges that shows evidence of this. Hey, can still cheat (submit my code I posted earlier and write it in C++, I'm not going to be completely analysing every single line) but then thats upto what sort of person you are, and if you like to take the chance of being caught (he that shall not be named styley). At the end of the day though it is Matt's call, so we should wait for his comments on this.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Current fave quote : "She was like a candle in the wind.... unreliable...."
Outscape
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2008 18:44 Edited at: 5th Jul 2008 18:53
well my game has a choice when you start if you want to:
show images
show animation (this will be said to not turn on for this conpetition)
play sounds

so if it has to be just text you can say to not have these features

but anyway the latest version of my game isnt uploaded

and none of the media is essential, just makes it look nicer =)

also do you need to see the coding or just the .exe

Creators of Outscape

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2008 20:46
I think they said that you MUST provide source code to show that you made it. However, you don't need to give them all the code, just enough to prove it works. (So just giving them "print 'This is a game!'" wouldn't cut it, obviously.) If you wanted to keep your code secret (eg. because you wanted to sell the game) then I suppose they might allow you to email it to them rather than post it up here for everyone to see - but that's just my own rambling speculation, don't take it as read.

I'm not actually a Kiwi, I just randomly thought it up one day.
Outscape
Years of Service
User Offline
i have the core coding in the code snippits if that counds

i mean i have the simulator which my game is made off

also its got to be mine cos u must of seen me asking alot of questions on the forums =D
oh and it says my name on it and my 'company' name etc

Creators of Outscape

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2008 01:33
Quote: "I suppose they might allow you to email it to them rather than post it up here for everyone to see"
This is obviously all upto Matt, but I would think that only the judges (or even just Matt) would see the supplied section of source code. At the end of the day it is required for entry. Don't give it then no entry (and even then might not be enough like Darth said).

Quote: "i have the core coding in the code snippits if that counds"
Just supply what you are happy with giving (give the lot if you don't care) I would think when you make the entry. This would be in an email to Matt, who I would imagine will then host the compiled game only (not the source) on the compo website. Obviously this will have to be confirmed by Matt himself.

Cheers

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2008 04:41
If its anything like last year, you send the source (or part of it) by e-mail, then the compiled exe's are posted by you in the official thread (this thread).

Outscape
Years of Service
User Offline
whos matt and whats his e-mail

Creators of Outscape

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2008 15:05
Quote: "whos matt and whats his e-mail"
See and read first post of this thread.

Quote: "then the compiled exe's are posted by you in the official thread (this thread)"
Possibly, but in the first few posts Jeku was mentioning about hosting everything on his site. Would look a lot better too if it went this way.

Cheers

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2008 16:58
Quote: "Submissions: You may submit your entry via e-mail (e-mail the game to me) or via these forums. To submit, you can include a compressed file (zip, rar, etc.) or a direct download link. By "direct link," we mean said link should open a download window immediately once clicked. All entries must be recieved no later than 11:59pm Eastern Standard Time on Friday, October 17th 2008. No exceptions!"

Outscape
Years of Service
User Offline
umm
1these forums dont seem to like my uploading files
2my game has alot of media to just send it

can i just give you a link to my website which has links to all the downloads
but all the downloads are in deposit files which require you to enter in a code to make sure your not a bot, but tis not confusing codes.

Creators of Outscape

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2008 17:08
Jeku said he would probably allow people to upload the programs on his website, so just wait until later in the contest and see if anything is said about that.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2008 01:47
Alternatively you can email them, as long as you can have attachments that big.

"Experience never provides its judgments with true or strict universality; but only (through induction) with assumed and comparative universality." - Immanuel Kant
Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2008 02:33
Sorry about being so hard to reach lately, I've been backed up with work to no end. Dazzag, as always, is a life saver .

About source code submissions:
Even if you haven't coded your game in DBP, we still need to see some of your source. Between myself, Dazzag, and Jeku, one of us has seen the language before I'd reckon, and I'm sure we could determine if it were real or not .

You don't have to give us all of your code... you can remove bits of code that you don't want the three of us to see, so long as you leave statements explaining what was removed, and so long as you don't remove too much. Obviously, if all of your code reads like this:

^^ That would be a disqualification, lol. Most trade secrets would be stashed away in individual subroutines and/ or functions I'd imagine, so you could just remove the ones you don't want us to see.

But I have to stress that between the three of us, you don't have to worry about us stealing your code . The three of us have been active participants in this community for several years, and wouldn't have a need for your code... unless you've come up with an algorithm that somehow transforms water into beer, in which case I'd keep an eye on Dazzag, lol j/k . Only myself, Dazzag, and Jeku will be seeing submitted source code... no one else, socially or professionally, will be privy to it. If you don't trust us, remove bits of code you don't want us to see. If you don't want the entire community to see your code, send it to me via email and I'll send it to Jeku and Dazzag personally .

Again, sorry for my sporatic appearances... I've had a hectic schedule the past week or two. Feel free to email me or contact me through Yahoo! Instant Messenger (if I'm not online, you can leave me an offline message). I'll be through the worst of my horrific schedule in the next few days, hehe.

Outscape
Years of Service
User Offline
haha
Quote: "... unless you've come up with an algorithm that somehow transforms water into beer, in which case I'd keep an eye on Dazzag, lol j/k "

made me lol
=D

Creators of Outscape

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2008 19:29
What would people here feel about a plot that might be a bit controversial? It's not meant to be offensive in anyway, but takes on the corruption of a religious institution to parallel certain corruptions that have happened (like the Catholic Church in the middle ages) but in a darker, futuristic dystopia. It's not anti-religious (which would be hypocritical as I'm religious) but will delve into a plot against human corruption, and looking behind the causes - the characters are a part of a rebel group, who act against the problem causers. The main bad guy, known as 'The Preacher' is a particularly scary guy, who manages to place fear through his speech, and in his grasp produce psychological hallucinations that torture his victims into madness.

Alternatively, if such a thing isn't cool with you guys, it's as simple as changing the words and picking something else. The institution belongs to an imaginary religion, like certain games do(Final Fantasy X has an imaginary religion), so it's not specific to anyone, just the fact there's a god figure and a preacher.

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2008 20:53
My God, I would LOVE to play that game! Please, everyone, let him make it!

Unfortunately, my game is also about a totalitarian state... but it has a focus on hacking, the Big Brother figure is an AI and (if I have enough time) you will be able to join one of 4 factions. (3 rebel groups and the "thought police" type guys.) Yes, it's inspired by 1984. So hopefully mine shouldn't end up too much like yours.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2008 03:09
Haha, gotta love dystopiate sci-fi, eh?

Oh, and how long have we got left? I've neglected my entry a bit.

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2008 08:23
Quote: "All entries must be recieved no later than 11:59pm Eastern Standard Time on Friday, October 17th 2008"
On a totally different note, I think I just sneezed out Belgium. Uggghhh...

Cheers

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2008 22:15
Yes, I will setup an anonymous FTP account with write-only privileges where all the entrants can upload their game, around or near the contest deadline. Afterword they would have to email us the name of the file they have sent so we can review the game.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2008 00:11
I'm more than okay with Seppuku's idea, actually, like Darth Kiwi, I love it!

Now, how odd that my game is sci-fi as well

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2008 03:20
Glad my idea is approved, now I just really need to work on it more, doesn't help that I picked up Assassin's Creed this morning either.

The annoying thing is I wrote a simple engine, nice and stable, what I replaced it with is really unstable, I got about 10 scripts in and realised there were so annoying flaws - but continued on working around them (as I couldn't solve them), but wanting to get on with the story side of things, I've had to revert back to my simple engine. Nice set back, eh?

Quote: "Now, how odd that my game is sci-fi as well "

Sounds like a very Sci-Fi year for TA's. Though I wouldn't say what I'm going for focuses on so much Science or technology, but there are uses of it. What The Preacher does is something that probably couldn't be explained by Science.

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2008 12:42
So your entry is more focused on "soft" than "hard" scifi?

Soft being social/psychological implications such as those found in Brave New World or A Scanner Darkly, Hard being the technological implications such as FTL travel, improved global travel, cyborg tech etc.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2008 13:37
That pretty much hits the nail.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2008 18:56
Guess that puts me in the 'soft sci-fi' category as well

Some of you might already know a part of the story I'll be telling :0

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2008 20:09
Ooh a hint!

Allow me to say, all of you won' know a part of the story I'm tell...well apart from what I've already said of course, but lets ignore those bits so that I can pretend I'm being more secretive than tha_rami to boost the profile of my extry.

Anyway, who else is entering? And what sort of game is everybody else entering. (out of curiosity)

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2008 14:24 Edited at: 14th Jul 2008 14:26
Hey does anybody know how to include a newline character in a text string that actually works? Im using DBPro (latest update). Ive tried "\n" and chr$(13), not sure how to proceed without rewriting my text loading code.

edit: oh and I'm entering a somewhat unusual text adventure, it focuses mostly on the player characters interaction with NPCs. Who do you trust, who trusts you? Who will you stab in the back, and who do you suspect of planning the same on you? etc etc
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2008 16:52
Quote: "not sure how to proceed without rewriting my text loading code"
I posted a word wrapping routine with my gamebook code earlier in this thread. It supports newline characters, and wordwrapping for any font.

Quote: "Who do you trust, who trusts you? Who will you stab in the back, and who do you suspect of planning the same on you? etc etc"
Did you ever play Valhalla? Was the same game I mentioned Mary the Dwarf hit you over the head with an axe if you swore. Basically NPCs treat you differently the way you act. Keep getting Hell to attack Thor for example (and then killing Thor yourself once Hell was destroyed a few times, or it may have been the other way around...) would get Thor saying no to you when you asked him to do something. Like kill someone... Seemed a lot of telling people to kill other people in that game...

Cheers

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2008 17:23
Cheers Dazzag, I'll have a look at your work. Im currently using the D3D dll to wordwrap my text, so I'll probably have to redesign some previous code anyways.

I never played Valhalla but it sounds quite intriguing, I'll add to it the ever growing list of games I need to check out. My text adventure is based on a party game known as mafia/werewolves.
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2008 21:12
Quote: "edit: oh and I'm entering a somewhat unusual text adventure, it focuses mostly on the player characters interaction with NPCs. Who do you trust, who trusts you? Who will you stab in the back, and who do you suspect of planning the same on you? etc etc "

Quote: "My text adventure is based on a party game known as mafia/werewolves. "

Wow - I'm not normally into text adventures (uhh, yes: I'm a complete hypocrite) but all of these other games sound great! I can't wait to play 'em all.

Also: I made a desktop background for my game, because I saw this picture and was struck by the style. Four hours later, I come up with this. (WARNING: 1280x1024 PNG image!) Those white tubes are glass walkways connecting the skyscrapers.

Outscape
Years of Service
User Offline
im entering my game is in my signature i think
or
www.freewebs.com/outscape
my game is only the bare bones atm

Creators of Outscape

Outscape
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2008 21:24 Edited at: 17th Jul 2008 21:28
would anyone here actually buy a text game though?
i wouldnt... no matter how good it was.
-downloading the demo of the game you can win to see if i can get ideas

did the admin 'matt rock' make this game????????????
cos it says his name on it

Creators of Outscape

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2008 02:57
Quote: "did the admin 'matt rock' make this game????????????
cos it says his name on it "

Eternal Equinox? Yes he did, it's a good Text Adventure, and it's not the only project he has on his site - in fact, visit it right now, at least then I'd be buttering Matt up to add karma to my profile on his forums...I live for karma points.

Outscape
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2008 12:31 Edited at: 18th Jul 2008 12:33
lol =) its a very nice game but it confuses my simple mind =)
and lol my game is 3300 lines +
and its only about 30% done

Creators of Outscape

Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2008 02:01
LOL you'd be upset to learn then that I almost got rid of the karma points on MINet a while back, hehe. I can't remember who it was (Dink or Rami probably) but someone was saying we'd be better off not having the Karma points. I think I spent about ten minutes looking at ditching them and then I gave up to go play Grand Theft Auto 2 with Jerico, Adam, and Xeno .

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2008 02:46
Good choice, a very good choice indeed - you know by getting rid of karma points I could sue you on a religious offense...knowing the stupidity of some lawsuits I'd actually have a chance of winning too.

Grand Theft Auto 2...best there is in my opinion.

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmm I may in fact enter this... Now I just need a story.

DB PROgrammer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2008 08:35
Well I decided I was going to try this. I made my "engine" in a couple hours meaning is very "bare-bone" it consists of 120 lines of code although I havn't added a background, music or any such nonsense yet. I have about a minute a reading material so far but have lots of ideas.

I'm Pro grammer.
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2008 19:45
I would love to write one of these, it's just that I have no knowledge of coding a text adventure engine. Any pointers, anyone?
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2008 20:56
Quote: "Any pointers, anyone? "

Depends how advanced - I tried something similar to the Scumm games (but in text) but it was too buggy and have gone for a nice and simple system - I guess you could make one like you'd make game GUI, except make it do more - you could make each frame have text and have a selection of options that take you to different frames. That'd be a basic system.

So:

FrameTitle: Prologue
Text: Hello World
Choices: Destroy World
Eat a monkey
Load
Save
Quit

Each option might take you to a different frame containing different text and options. Except Save and Quit (save will record the current frame and quit is fairly obvious)

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2008 22:36
Quote: "Depends how advanced"
Yep, for a simple choice based effort more like a gamebook, then try starting with the code I posted on this thread. Then make the code more advanced as you go on. It's a starting point, and after all most of the game will be in the plot and text.

Cheers

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2008 01:15 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2008 01:16
In the end I've gone for the game book, despites how much I big it up, my programming is still crap. But it has meant I've gone for what I consider the most important elements for my project.

Simple or Advanced, always worth a choice - if you're feeling 'adventurous' try something with a parser or the old SCUMM system (in text) - the SCUMM system I like the idea of (hence I tried it in the first place)

You're in a certain area and you have a set of commands, an inventory and a set of objects and people in the scene. Your commands could be: Talk; Walk; Open; Close; Pickup; Use; Push; Pull; Give. So you can interact with the scene a lot more - so the player then has to think - "how do I get to the otherside? I've got a bunch of useless objects, nothing will get me there...hmmm...what does the rubber chicken do to the telephone wire? Oh I can use it to support my weight as I slide along the line" At least in my opinion that's what made the SCUMM games so great (and the sheer silliness of some of them) I think of them as text adventures manifested in full colour and 2d graphics.

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2008 09:29
Quote: "I think of them as text adventures manifested in full colour and 2d graphics"
True. Used to love them. Personally, if I get the time, then one day I am considering changing DarkMUD to have a graphical front end. I'm thinking something along the lines of Valhalla. Would be seriously easy to do, I just can't be bothered currently.

Cheers

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2008 15:55
Yeah at least they got you to think a bit, there was no formula to beating them, but they weren't random either (though in some the humour was quite random) - though the LeChuck fight solutions were a bit similar on MI 2 and MI 3, second one you had to run around, avoiding him to build a voodoo doll and on MI 3 you have to basically do the same but build a bomb.

Funnily enough, the first 'game' I ever tried making was an MI clone, I was 7 and my Dad refused to teach me AMOS because I wouldn't understand it, so I was creative and somehow reconstructed my ideas in Deluxe Paint - Guybrush of course was the brush...yeah I had a huuuge imagination when I was a little kid.

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2008 21:02
Quote: "You must use fonts that are included standard with Windows 2000 and XP machines. Alternatively you can use bitmap fonts or a 2D image of the pre-written text. Judges will not install custom fonts to see them in your game."

Must we have this rule? The standard fonts for windows xp are a VERY limited selection.. For example I have had the font 'garamond' on just about every single computer I own, but it's not listed as a standard windows xp font..
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2008 21:35
I agreee with draknir: though my main font (Courier New) is on that list, it might limit creative freedom to stick to that list. Or something. So I suggest you allow fonts as long as the coder supplies it along with the game.

Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2008 03:19
It comes down to what Jeku and Dazzag think I suppose. We made that rule for a few reasons, though I can't remember what those reasons were . I think it was mainly a "judges don't feel like installing superfluous stuff" thing. I don't have a problem with it, but it's up to the other judges.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 05:29:07
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 05:29:07