Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / What is your fetish?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Half Life Dude, Please edit this out as I do not want stuff like this in my thread. Kiddies lurk around too, yno.
"

Judging by the rest of his post, I think he was trying to spell "masticating"

Venge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2009 18:51
I think he means masticating...

Dare to reach out your hand into the darkness, to pull another hand into the light.
-Norman B. Rice
Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2009 20:25
I think what he was trying to say what people do in replacement of something...

B & C are close to each other on a keyboard, I think we all know what he was saying, correct?

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120
Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2009 20:51
He said "-cating" not the other word.

shoot at all the scripters you want, but remember that it is a sin to kill a programmer.
SikaSina Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2009 21:14 Edited at: 5th Apr 2009 21:15
Dunno if I have that form of OCD where I tend to keep in a rythm of 4 if I hit something eg. If I tap my phone 2 times, I tap it another 2 times or I get really stressed . I also tend to always want to connect to Xbox LIVE if it disconnects and I won't stop trying until it connects. I don't like stepping in the gaps in the pavement, I prefer noise instead of silence (especially in the dark lol, I play too much Nazi Zombies ) and I always seem to wear my sunglasses on a rainy day . Oh, and I always lose where I am in the middle of a sentence when typing, and I get mixed up half of the time believing that I'm reading foreign language.

-FCV

Gingerkid Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2009 22:42 Edited at: 5th Apr 2009 22:42
Masticate: To Chew, Look it up

TheCleverGuyz
MIDN90
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2009 23:34
I feel there is reason to believe, some people here have their minds in the gutter.
Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 02:58
My mind's always in the gutter.

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120
Guy_84
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 17:55
I almost always wear my denim jacket, unless it is getting cleaned.

When you least expect it... BOOM, HEADSHOT!!
All your base will always belong to us.
GuyMod coming sometime.
Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 18:19
Another obsession. Why are humans obsessed to some things while others not? I dunno.

Keep 'em coming, never knew this thread would be this popular.

-Steam ID: AmericanInfantry
-CSS, DODS, & GMod: Friar
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 19:26
Quote: "I almost always wear my denim jacket"

Same here. I always have to wear either a flannel, or a button-up shirt over my t-shirt (even if it's a screen t). Right now, I'm wearing a blue denim shirt that's really comfortable.

I'm also a night owl. I cannot fall asleep before 1am. Ever. It's completely, 100% impossible for me to fall asleep before 1am. That could really screw me over later in life...

Hmm. I really don't think I have any other obsessions. I like typing...is that weird? Is that a sign that I'll become a programmer? I just like the sound the keys make when you're typing, and I love the feeling of them bouncing back up, only to be pushed back down again. I find it fascinating.

Okay, that one is weird...

Visit our video production site!
Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 20:52
Maybe you should get the surgery where they make your fingertips less sensitive...

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 21:15
Cowboy Hat, I bought one for £25, a housemate said, "Why did you pay £25 for that when I've never seen you wear it", so I wore it and am now sort of attached to it, it can have some amusing reactions. 8am I was walking up to Uni and a random guy in a van just yelled 'Yeeeeeehaaaawww' when driving past, it kind of made me laugh, after all, I wasn't expecting it.

I'm another one of those 'rubbish in my pockets guy', it's just if I'm not near a bin I don't want to throw it on the floor, so I've always stuffed it in my pockets and became a habit, though recently I've pushed myself out of the habit and held on to the rubbish until I found a bit - pockets are for my phone and wallet, not trash.

Whenever I walk away from a cash machine or an instore card reader I get paranoid that I've forgotten my card, when I try to remember I don't actually remember taking it, so I check...it probably comes from when I did leave my card in a card reader at Sainsburys, thankfully the manager took it, so I got it back.

mamaji4
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 22:51 Edited at: 6th Apr 2009 22:57
Quote: "I was walking up to Uni and a random guy in a van just yelled 'Yeeeeeehaaaawww' when driving past"

Seppuku,
I hope you know the connotations of wearing a Cowboy Hat and standing on a San Francisco street after dark. You get approached by the male of the species.
If you don't believe me, check out Jon Voight in the movie "Midnight Cowboy"
You're lucky to get away with just an 'Yeehaaww'.

If you really must, try the Bowler hat. That should get you the amusing reactions without getting you into a spot of bother.
Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 22:53
Another weird thing I do: in CSS, I never silence my M4, USP, or any other gun. I also never pick up a sniper rifle.

Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 23:27
Every time I see someone out in real life I tend to try to identify them and attempt to make up their entire life story in my mind. Generally it involves me staring a bit too long at someone, which can cause some uncomfortable situations.

Alucard94, the member of the future of the past.
Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2009 02:31
I can never wear socks to bed. I ALWAYS, no matter what, have to take my socks off. There's just something weird about the feeling that my feet get when the blankets rub against the sock. I don't know...

Also, I have this weird thing with gold doorknobs. When I was young, I had nightmares of being incredibly close to gold doorknobs, like closer than you can physically get when you're awake. For some reason, the fear has never subsided. I get uncomfortable when I look at a gold doorknob really close.
SikaSina Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2009 15:42
Quote: "I get uncomfortable when I look at a gold doorknob really close."

Happy birthday . Why have that fear of gold doorknobs then? You DON'T want to come to my house then .

-FCV

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2009 16:55 Edited at: 8th Apr 2009 16:56
Quote: "Quote: "I was walking up to Uni and a random guy in a van just yelled 'Yeeeeeehaaaawww' when driving past"

Seppuku,
I hope you know the connotations of wearing a Cowboy Hat and standing on a San Francisco street after dark. You get approached by the male of the species.
If you don't believe me, check out Jon Voight in the movie "Midnight Cowboy"
You're lucky to get away with just an 'Yeehaaww'.

If you really must, try the Bowler hat. That should get you the amusing reactions without getting you into a spot of bother. "

Good thing I don't live in San Fancisco, it doesn't have the same connotation here in the UK (unless it's a camp looking cowboy hat). Despite my hair being similar to Heath Ledger's the only Brokeback Mountain jokes I've gotten have been from family members.

Quote: "If you really must, try the Bowler hat. That should get you the amusing reactions without getting you into a spot of bother. "

I've got one laying around somewhere.

Peter gee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2009 17:25
i have a fetish for latina's

is that normal?

computer cookies are not tasty i found that out the hard way

Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2009 17:33
I try my best to always wear a trilby hat, hence why my nickname is now the Prat in the Hat
Bowler hats are pretty cool too.
And I instinctively like people who have black hair, the darker the better, and pale skin. Is that weird?

Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2009 17:33
It depends.

Also, please note that by fetish I meant weird thing that you do or an obsession.

Peter gee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2009 17:42
oh in that case if i ever buy a drink, i never finish it, i don't know why.

computer cookies are not tasty i found that out the hard way

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2009 18:01
Since other people are posting their phobias, I don't like to see whales close-up. In the aquarium, behind the glass, their mass makes me cringe. I imagine if I'm trapped underneath a blue whale, and how far I'd have to swim go get around it before I could surface for air. Their rubbery skin is scary. I'm sure this has something to do with not being able to swim properly

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2009 18:08
Heights, Spiders & Needles *shudder*.

Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2009 21:41 Edited at: 8th Apr 2009 21:41
Quote: "
And I instinctively like people who have black hair, the darker the better, and pale skin. Is that weird?
"

That's one of the basic principles of human attraction. Different people subconsiously look for certain traits in people. A good way to figure out where you stand is looking at girls you've fancied or been attracted to and see what physical features they have in common. Often, these preferred traits originate from your mother. So your gf IS your mother. Just a little geek knowledge for ya there.

EDIT: Wait, dark hair, pale skin? GOTH!!!

shoot at all the scripters you want, but remember that it is a sin to kill a programmer.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2009 21:58
Quote: "Often, these preferred traits originate from your mother."

That sounds much like Freud, saying that, the only trait I've seen in my Mum in girls I've fancied/been out with is that fact a handful of them have been brunettes - but my spectrum has pretty much covered most natural hair colours (and some unnatural) as for personality traits and interests, I think only interest in music perhaps, but then that part of my Mum's music collection she stole off of her kids.

You can see why I don't buy into these Freud-like connections of 'men fancy their mum subconsciously'.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2009 22:39
Quote: "Often, these preferred traits originate from your mother."

That would only work for me if my mom is Asian and I was adopted.

puppyofkosh
Years of Service
User Offline
I hate talking in front of people.
Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2009 23:00
Haha, I'm not too fond of talking either but that's something out of sounding like an idiot when you're even ordering food at an eatery. Trust me, it happened.

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2009 23:03
I hate heights...but I also have the obsession for checking my internet every 5 mins when Im bored to see if any forum / emails have changed...

mamaji4
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "So your gf IS your mother."

I don't think Sigmund put it quite that way. It's called the Oedipus complex.
Freud was a nut who screwed the way we think by telling us how we think. They should have locked him up and thrown away the key.
Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2009 23:32
Quote: "Freud was a nut who screwed the way we think by telling us how we think. They should have locked him up and thrown away the key."

That's usually what happened to intellects back in the day. Today, the intellects usually lock themselves up on their own. Now that's progress.

This message was brought to you by Grandma industries.

Making yesterdays games, today!
Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2009 00:04 Edited at: 9th Apr 2009 00:04
My mother has light hair and fairly dark skin

Quote: "That's usually what happened to intellects back in the day. Today, the intellects usually lock themselves up on their own. Now that's progress."

That is a classic.

Quote: "Wait, dark hair, pale skin? GOTH!!!"

...... Or not.

Ah, public speaking. That's another one of my philias. I like talking and speaking on stage, and getting a crowd reaction. Is that weird too?

Insanity Complex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2009 00:14 Edited at: 9th Apr 2009 00:15
I absolutely hate talking to people I don't know. For whatever reason though, if I'm introduced to somebody by a friend, it's as if that problem of mine doesn't exist. But anything from going to a store check-out lane, to having somebody stop me to ask me for directions will usually bug me out. It doesn't happen all the time, but happens often enough that I hate it

Also, I really can not sit still for extended periods of time. I get strong physical urges, sometimes to a point of near pain that I feel an extreme need to get up and move. Music tends to delay this but it happens anyway. What makes it worse, as compared to simply sitting doing nothing for extended periods, is sitting doing a repetitive and tedious act, the hardest so far is usually writing. If I have to sit and do homework, or take notes in class, for a long period of time, I start to get really uncomfortable. My hand stiffens, my body aches, and I just have an incredible urge to get up and walk, anywhere. I could go into a deeper explanation including what may be the cause(although it's another problem entirely), but...I've already written quite a bit.

www.aeriagames.com <-They have some decent ones
Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2009 01:33
I HATE it when people try to ask me for directions or something. My hearing disability usually makes it harder for me to understand them, and I usually say something totally irrelevant.
MIDN90
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2009 02:06
Quote: "I HATE it when people try to ask me for directions or something. My hearing disability usually makes it harder for me to understand them, and I usually say something totally irrelevant. "

Does this apply to when you post on the forums?
DB PROgrammer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2009 02:20
Quote: "Does this apply to when you post on the forums?"

I know it does for me, I can never hear a word anyone is saying. I've stayed at the computer for hours trying to hear what you guys are saying but never can. And why is there always strange markings on the screen?!?!

DBPro, limited by the programmer.
Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2009 02:44
Quote: "Does this apply to when you post on the forums? "

No, I don't like bananas.
MIDN90
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2009 02:49
Quote: "No, I don't like bananas. "

ok ok, no need to raise your voice at me...
Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2009 02:54
Little Bill
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2009 11:58
I can act on stage and stuff, but I can't make a formal presentation whether it is on my own or with others. I dunno why and I hate it

I also have an obsession over mobile computing but I only have a Samsung E250. I want an iPhone though. I'm not sure whether to get the iPhone or the iPod touch. The iPod is cheaper but doesn't have 3G tech, but the iPhone has 3G and it's a phone but it costs £350+ every year. They both have the accelerometer and the iPod can access the internet from Wi-fi hotspots.

I'll stop now, I'm rambling.
Zaibatsu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2009 06:57 Edited at: 10th Apr 2009 06:57
I watch The Road Warrior every weekend; almost religiously.

Venge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2009 07:10
I'm addicted to Minesweeper. 9, 55, and 134 seconds.

Dare to reach out your hand into the darkness, to pull another hand into the light.
-Norman B. Rice
jezza
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2009 22:31
I set my watch religiously to the internet, then check it three times or so every 5 minutes. The three times is just to check I read the right number. And then if someone asks me the time after I just looked at my watch I'll look again.
That month I was between watches was hell.

I also like sunny days that are cold. I go for walks and just sit on hills and watch the sunset sometimes, but it can't be hot. In the hot I just sit inside and browse the interwebz.
Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2009 23:12
I have a tendecy to check my watch even in important meetings. It gives off the wrong signal that I'm bored.

Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2009 14:18
I really, really like miserable, cold, non-sunny days.

I ought to move to england.

"You are not smart! You are very un-smart!"
Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2009 14:51 Edited at: 11th Apr 2009 14:52
Thats not the definition of fetish

But I'm currently obsessed with Batman. Due to Arkham Asylum videogame being out soon.
Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2009 14:52
When I'm nervous or uncomfortable, I'll often re-adjust my glasses. Soemtimes if I'm not wearing them I'll try to do it anyway out of habit.

When I'm reading soemthing online and someone's talking to me (usually) I'll randomly start highlighting a paragraph of writing with the mouse over and over.

Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2009 19:42
Quote: "I really, really like miserable, cold, non-sunny days.

I ought to move to england."

Yeah, it's actually really nice. We get about two days of sun every year (That's when you go to the beach), and the rest is rain or storms. Very atmospheric

I always stand with one arm straight, and the other hand holding that arm, behind my back. And I don't cross my arms, I put one on top of the other.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 17:35:07
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 17:35:07