Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / What is your fetish?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2009 23:49
Since everyone's been posting random facts rather than "fetishes", I'll say this: I do not fear death, for reasons which I cannot discuss without breaking the AUP religion rule.

In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.
Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2009 23:58 Edited at: 27th Apr 2009 23:58
I clicked on the "view new post" button, and I thought Venge created a new thread.

It'd be awesome if we could all live to the end of the Earth's life, but then we'd be so small and wrinkled. Ugh....

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 28th Apr 2009 00:12
Quote: "I do not fear death, for reasons which I cannot discuss without breaking the AUP religion rule."

I do not fear death either. Maybe for the same reason as you (I'm Christian; I don't think it's against the rules to state what religion/faith you are as long as you don't start an argument about it).

At any rate, I really like this smiley:

And I also really like 'coding' in HTML and CSS, though I am still a novice in both languages.

Visit our video production site!
Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2009 00:18
I do fear death. I'm an atheist.

Mwahahaha.

Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2009 00:21 Edited at: 28th Apr 2009 00:23
I don't either and I'm a satanist. I guess we should all join hands now and sing some stupid song about diversity.

Edit: Oh, you^ said "do". Nevermind then.

This message was brought to you by Grandma industries.

Making yesterdays games, today!
Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2009 00:33
Eat it grandma.

I'm DIFFERENT.

puppyofkosh
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I'm DIFFERENT."

Let's oppress him!
AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2009 01:27
Quote: "I also must have my Windows taskbar on the top of my screen. I can't stand it on the bottom, it just feels so wrong."

YES! Thank you! I thought I was the only one who does that--every time I have a friend over they think there's something wrong with my computer because the taskbar is gone.

i like orange
NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2009 01:31
Well, on the subject of desktop organisation, I simply cannot have icons on my desktop. It looks cluttered and I hate it. Everything in my Start Menu must be filed by program type, subtype and then ordered by name. Anything I use often goes on the Quick Launch below the window manager. (double width taskbar)

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 28th Apr 2009 02:23
Quote: "Quote: "I also must have my Windows taskbar on the top of my screen. I can't stand it on the bottom, it just feels so wrong."

YES! Thank you! I thought I was the only one who does that--every time I have a friend over they think there's something wrong with my computer because the taskbar is gone."

Haha. Really? My Aunt is the same way, she'll look at the bottom of the screen and say 'now where did the bar-thingy go?'

It's actually my mom who started putting the taskbar on the top of the screen, back when 'ol Billy Gates released Windows '95. She knows a lot about my computers, while my dad..doesn't.

Anyway, back on topic...umm...

I can't stand anybody touching the monitor at all. I'm still using a CRT (yeah, I know...), so it smudges easily. I HATE IT!!

Venge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2009 03:50 Edited at: 28th Apr 2009 03:51
Quote: "I do not fear death either. Maybe for the same reason as you (I'm Christian; I don't think it's against the rules to state what religion/faith you are as long as you don't start an argument about it). "

Well then, I'll elaborate a bit. The following is a statement, not an argument; it is my belief, and I do not wish to convert any of you just as much as I would not want any other belief imposed upon me.

I do not fear death because I do not believe in the afterlife. Not heaven, not hell, not any god or devil, not the soul. I believe the non-existence after death is inevitable, and therefore there is no reason to fear it. At the prospect of a premature death, I feel only regret for not having lived the life I planned and for the sadness it would cause my loved ones. I live my life not in fear of the unknown after death, but in the pursuit of happiness before it.

If any moderator feels this does not conform to
Quote: "3.7 Debate about religious belief or any tangent of religion"

feel free to edit or delete this post, but do not lock the thread on my account.

In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.
darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2009 04:47
Quote: "I do not fear death because I do not believe in the afterlife. Not heaven, not hell, not any god or devil, not the soul. I believe the non-existence after death is inevitable, and therefore there is no reason to fear it. At the prospect of a premature death, I feel only regret for not having lived the life I planned and for the sadness it would cause my loved ones. I live my life not in fear of the unknown after death, but in the pursuit of happiness before it.
"
I see where you could be coming from, but atheism is something I could and never will quite understand... I ask all of my atheist friends where humans came from, the say "evolution". I ask them where the earth came from, the say "the universe". Where did the universe come from, the say "the big bang". Where did the bang come from, "particles". Where did the particles come from, then I have them stumped and they don't have an answer. Something had to make everything, and IMO, it would be the ultimate punishment to have lived and then disappeared from existence. We would serve no purpose, would we not?

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2009 05:20
Quote: "I do not fear death because I do not believe in the afterlife. Not heaven, not hell, not any god or devil, not the soul. I believe the non-existence after death is inevitable, and therefore there is no reason to fear it. At the prospect of a premature death, I feel only regret for not having lived the life I planned and for the sadness it would cause my loved ones. I live my life not in fear of the unknown after death, but in the pursuit of happiness before it."

I feel the same way, for the same reason, and IMO that's a good way to view it. There's no reason to fear the inevitable so TBH I don't see why death is such a common fear among people.

i like orange
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 28th Apr 2009 05:48
Quote: "I see where you could be coming from, but atheism is something I could and never will quite understand... I ask all of my atheist friends where humans came from, the say "evolution". I ask them where the earth came from, the say "the universe". Where did the universe come from, the say "the big bang". Where did the bang come from, "particles". Where did the particles come from, then I have them stumped and they don't have an answer. Something had to make everything, and IMO, it would be the ultimate punishment to have lived and then disappeared from existence. We would serve no purpose, would we not?"

That's how I feel. It would be the ultimate punishment if we lived for nothing. It's just an unacceptable idea (for me) that death is a permanent end. There has to be something more.

At any rate, back on topic: I can't stand horrible 80s music. xD

Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2009 06:43
I don't fear death. What I do fear is the large amount of sudden pain that I'll experience whenever I do die. And I also fear the death of my family and such.

Athiest BTW.

"You are not smart! You are very un-smart!"
Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2009 15:02
Quote: "I see where you could be coming from, but atheism is something I could and never will quite understand... I ask all of my atheist friends where humans came from, the say "evolution". I ask them where the earth came from, the say "the universe". Where did the universe come from, the say "the big bang". Where did the bang come from, "particles". Where did the particles come from, then I have them stumped and they don't have an answer. Something had to make everything"

That's borderline close to 'debating', isn't it?
Anyway, I just have to mention that the same argument can be applied to the concept of gods. Have always been? Why not the same for particles?

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2009 15:08
Quote: "It would be the ultimate punishment if we lived for nothing."

Then live for something. I think believing you're living for something after life is the biggest insult to nature and the gift of life you've been given.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2009 15:18
Could you please try to steer it away from death and religion to prevent it from being locked.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2009 15:21
Quote: "I see where you could be coming from, but atheism is something I could and never will quite understand... I ask all of my atheist friends where humans came from, the say "evolution". I ask them where the earth came from, the say "the universe". Where did the universe come from, the say "the big bang". Where did the bang come from, "particles". Where did the particles come from, then I have them stumped and they don't have an answer. Something had to make everything, and IMO, it would be the ultimate punishment to have lived and then disappeared from existence. We would serve no purpose, would we not?"

Atheism = without god, it is literally the stance that is to say you lack a belief in any god. I don't know why you then bring up the creation of the Human race, Earth, the universe etc as they have nothing to do with atheism. Also, just because we don't know what happened 'before' the singularity forming the big bang, this doesn't mean that any other 'hypothesis'(I use this term VERY loosely) is suddenly any more valid.

Also, due to me lacking a belief in any afterlife I find my life has far more meaning than it ever would if I knew I was to live on forever after this life. If I strongly believed that after this life I'd be in a pleasant afterlife for all eternity then why wouldn't I just commit suicide and get there already? But as I know this is my only life I don't want to waste any of it, so I won't!

Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2009 15:31
When walking up stairs, I have to step on everyother step because I don't have time for the small steps.

I sometimes leave my computer on trough the nights because then I wouldn't have to wait for it to boot next time I'm going to use it.

I hate sleeping because I would rather do stuff. I'll sleep when I'm dead.

Guy_84
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2009 15:54 Edited at: 28th Apr 2009 15:54
Quote: "I get uncomfortable when I look at a gold doorknob really close."

Gunn3r, that's the same with me... but with ivory doorknobs.

When you least expect it... BOOM, HEADSHOT!!
GuyMod coming sometime.
Venge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2009 23:40
Quote: "I sometimes leave my computer on trough the nights because then I wouldn't have to wait for it to boot next time I'm going to use it."

I just use Hibernate, it's much faster.

I also hate sleeping, especially sleeping in when other people are awake. I always feel like I'm missing out on something if I'm not awake.

Black Rebel Heart
Years of Service
User Offline
I found this topic attractive but unfortunately I can't post seriously without a b7!

Also please mates steer away from the religion and death talk! It's really making me nervous!!
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2009 23:48
Quote: "I sometimes leave my computer on trough the nights because then I wouldn't have to wait for it to boot next time I'm going to use it."

Sounds like a very energy-efficient solution to your problem.

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2009 23:55
Quote: "I always feel like I'm missing out on something if I'm not awake."

Ya, I'm the same way, enough so that I've developed a habit of waking up at or before 7:30, even on the weekends or during summer.

i like orange
Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2009 00:07
Quote: "I just use Hibernate, it's much faster."

Me too actually.

I would say my fetish is biting my fingernails it sounds disgusting but it is a terribly unbreakable habit and fetish.
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2009 01:20
Tbh I think I'm with MIDN90 in that yeah, I actually do like it when it rains outside, as long as I'm inside.

Tbh when it comes to weather, I only really like extremes. It either has to be sunny, raining, stormy, or snowing. Not really a fan of much in between in a way, if that makes any sense.

Joel the adequate superhero.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2009 01:55
Quote: "I always look at myself sideways in the mirror, because I feel its my better half. "

Interesting, I look straight on, as I feel that's my better side, when I turn my head I form my hands into the sign of a cross yelling, "stay back you horrid beast!"

I guess vanity plays its part..

Your signature has been erased by a mod - Please reduce it to 600x120 maximum size
Spycrabz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2009 07:13
i have a few, one is everything has to line up perfectly, my tv volume has to end with 5 or 0, my laptop has to be at a certain volume at ALL times (45%), and i love the rain cos its too ****ing hot in australia

Pie? Pie is good. i like pie. i love pie actually. I WANT PIE. wait no i dont. what? IM CONFUSED!
Robert F
User Banned
Posted: 13th Jul 2009 07:18
Quote: "It feels great. In those 3 years I had to sleep on my stomach to fall asleep, and it just felt good. Nowadays I've done a complete 180--- on my back with a pillow. Just life cycles I guess."

Thats exactly what I did. I used to be able to sleep on my stomach and sometimes I would let my arm hang off (probably not good for you lol) and now I have a really hard time sleeping on my stomach.
Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2009 20:42
I never sleep on my stomach.

BTW, thanks for bumping.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 13th Jul 2009 20:52
I always sleep on my stomach. I can sometimes sleep on my back, but only when I am horrendously exhausted and am too tired to roll over.

Click to go to our website!
bobbel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2009 21:05
I throw every pencil i get in my hands in the air. after 5 times or so i throw it too hard so the pencil flies trhough the room xD

Oh No, there's too much blood in my caffeine system!
Stack Overflow: Too many pancakes...
The programmer's national anthem is 'AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH'. -Weinberg, p.152
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2009 23:05
I'm afraid to check my e-mail, or keep in touch with people from a distance. The only exception to this is with my Girl Friend.

Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 14th Jul 2009 02:24
I don't let people get by me with double negatives.

Me: "Can I see your ID."

Client: "I ain't got no ID."

Me: "Ok, let me see it."

Client: "Huh? I ain't got no ID!"

Me: "You said you DON'T have NO ID... if you don't have nothing, you have something."

Some people just don't get it though.

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2009 04:02
Are we still talking about fetish's? Or am I 6 pages too late?

Venge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2009 04:56 Edited at: 14th Jul 2009 04:58
It has progressed more into "random things about myself" than fetishes really, since the word "fetish" made people think dirty things.

Oh, it's my turn. Hmmm...
I have an overactive autodidactic gene. It may exist or something.

Also, my views of death have changed because Sepp corrupted me with his Buddha. But we can't talk about that.

Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 00:42:14
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 00:42:14