Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Public Test - Upgrade 7.4

Author
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2009 01:50
Hi Guys,

BETA7 uploaded, courtesy of a brief union between myself and a mystery coder, bringing you more goodies and fixes. For a detailed report on the attack we exposed a group of bugs, check out the BETA folder inside the VersionHistory directory that comes with BETA7 for a list of detailed fixes and observations, plus test programs for all the issues that have been dealt with.

Feedback welcome, especially on those areas that have been tweaked. If you are the owner of the bug in the bug board, and this BETA fixes it then we would be pleased if you could update your bug entry and confirm your new results here

There may be a new official plug-in on the horizon too so we will keep the U74 BETA open at least until support for that has been integrated. Do not despair on the Editor Bugs front as these will be dealt with as a separate session of fixes in the beta test.

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2009 02:16
Quote: "a brief union between myself and a mystery coder"

Anyway, sounds awesome
Will take a look tomorrow if I remember

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2009 03:11 Edited at: 18th Jun 2009 03:34
Ive noticed a slight gain in speed.

before: 550 - 600 FPS
now: 630 - 650 FPS

I got 1500 FPS (up from 800) in my BlitzTerrain demo, and also the frustum culling seems to be sorted!

You definitely did something massive to the rendering here, and it proves to be working very well.

New specs: Nvidia Geforce 9600GS 768MB, AMD Anthlon x64 X2 4000+ (2.6GHz Dual core), 3GB DDR2 800MHz RAM and a big hard drive.
Skynet Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2009 06:08 Edited at: 18th Jun 2009 06:11
What sucks is, this all just went right over my head. And im useually pretty good at picking things up, but being a beginner programmer it isn't easy for me..

Anyway, back on topic.

Will do, can some one tell me if this DarkLIGHTS thing comes with dbpro or do you have to by it separately.?

mechzone productions is up and running but going through some tweaks! but check us out
http://www.mechzoneproductions.110mb.com/home.html
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2009 12:41 Edited at: 18th Jun 2009 12:47
I could be wrong, but I think that the plain command has changed it's Y orientations 7.4 beta 7b, now works the opposite to what it did.

when I tilled the plain in my project it would show up light now it show up dark.

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.
Math89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2009 14:45
Nice! There is a slight increase of the performances in my program.
Now you just have to add support for Multiple Render Targets and DBPro would be the best of the bests!
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2009 16:04 Edited at: 18th Jun 2009 16:04
Woo! Thanks Lee! (And mystery person )

Diggsey: I have a spine and memory, but one memorable guy says he hates me. What am I?
James H
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 19th Jun 2009 18:19 Edited at: 19th Jun 2009 18:21
Quote: "Feedback welcome, especially on those areas that have been tweaked. If you are the owner of the bug in the bug board, and this BETA fixes it then we would be pleased if you could update your bug entry and confirm your new results here"

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=152591&b=15

Report edited. Haven`t been able to test my own machine but I think it will work as it fixes the issue on my mates machine(which had the exact same issue aswell prior to updating to u7.4). Great to see the frustrum culling fixed too, haven`t been able to fully look at 7.4 but hopefully by some day next week I will be in a position to have access to a much older machine than I`m used to and can do so then - in fact I`m going crazy just thinking about it. Thanks Lee your a star.
Xeridox
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Scrap Mechanic
Posted: 20th Jun 2009 04:05 Edited at: 21st Jun 2009 19:51
Quote: "I could be wrong, but I think that the plain command has changed it's Y orientations 7.4 beta 7b, now works the opposite to what it did."

Nope, you're not wrong!
I picked up a Rocket Launcher in my game, instead it tells me I got a rehcnuaL tekcoR...lol

[mod Edit: Made link to pic as it was quite big]
http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/7495/wtfk.jpg

Phenom - MP FPS WIP - With bot support, even online!
Official Thread -> http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=149585&b=8
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2009 04:59
I reported this to Lee by email and I'm glad this is confirmed by another and that it is an issue within beta 7b. I was having problems with decals in modding the source code for FPSC and didn't want to report it here since we were asked to email Lee regarding issues with FPSC source code.

BTW, Xeridox, nice segments and textures.

The past has a lot of memories to hold onto; but, today is chock full of new adventures, and, the future shouts out, "The best is yet to come!" -- TerryC
Xeridox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2009 06:49
"Could not understand command" on the APPEND$ command.

Normally:

append$ a$,b$

Work-around:

a$=a$+b$

BillR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2009 11:12 Edited at: 20th Jun 2009 11:14
xrotate object for plains is backwards also, at least from the way it used to work.

xrotate object objnum,-45
used to tilt the plain backwards(top leaning away from the camera)
now it tilts it forwards.
Xeridox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2009 11:39
Yeah BillR, that's actually what happened in my pic above, I'm using plains to display messages, and had to flip them after the update...

Some of my projectiles use plain objects, and if "move object" is used, the plain will also move in the opposite direction than in previous updates. However, cloned plain objects don't seem to share the problem, as I haven't had to replace any code associated with my projectiles, just my main logo and the centered messages were backwards.

Quote: "BTW, Xeridox, nice segments and textures."

Thanks, F l a t l a n d e r, I've been working on it for a few years now, off and on. I need to get a demo on the WIP and/or Program Announcements board...soon I hope.

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2009 12:52
@Xeridox

apart from changing evey plain, do think this way is better?

And append$ a$,b$ has been drop as noted in the update file.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 20th Jun 2009 12:57
Looking good so far. Well, at least the object texturing/shader bug has been fixed.

So, back to work now.
Xeridox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2009 20:44
@HowDo,

It's not really better or worse, I can deal with it, and don't see why others would have a problem with it either...

Ah, I didn't take time to read the update file, my bad. Oh well, I think I like a$=a$+b$ better anyway...reminds me of the Commodore days

System specs:
Commodore 128 / 128 KB RAM Expandable to 512 KB
Programming Language:
CBM BASIC V7

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2009 01:31
The vertexdata commands seem to be broken

(Not sure which version this goes back to)

That code used to alter a sphere's UV mapping to reduce texture distortion, but it no longer has any affect on the UV data

James H
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 21st Jun 2009 18:28 Edited at: 21st Jun 2009 18:29
@Lee (re bug reports)
Quote: "it fixes the issue on my mates machine"

Sorry Lee, I`m a ****. The issue is not fixed due to "operator error" on my part. I have made another post in the same thread http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=152591&b=15
Humanoid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2009 19:27 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2009 01:22
Compilation Failed (Syntax Error)

try that: delete 'Compilerplugins-user' file 'DBProODEReleas.dll'

and try again

Old editorU72 show more information error, what file has it

Suomi Finland PERKELE!
CuCuMBeR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 13:26
Why dont you make the GET KEY STATE and SET KEY STATE TOGGLE commands virtual key values same as SCANCODE values?

F1 keys scancode value is 59
F1 keys virtual key(hex value is 0x70 and int value is 112 according to IanM's plugin of converting hex to decimal)

Why dont they have the same integer value?

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on.
kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2009 01:53
The new version takes a few secconds to start drawing stuff when using "full screen" mode. Its bloody annoying.

New specs: Nvidia Geforce 9600GS 768MB, AMD Anthlon x64 X2 4000+ (2.6GHz Dual core), 3GB DDR2 800MHz RAM and a big hard drive.
trogdor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2009 20:21 Edited at: 25th Jun 2009 20:24
Quote: "Cannot use RETURN command inside a function at line ..."

So I have one of those at line 5455, but I can't find it.
I have 8 include files, and I dont know how's the compiler see them and are comment lines included.
I just have no clue to where is this line 5455 is.
Is there a quick way to find the bad RETURN command inside a function ??
Thanks

Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling.
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2009 21:07
If you have CodeSurge, there is a 'go to line' utility

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2009 21:30 Edited at: 25th Jun 2009 21:34
@trogdor
Quote: "So I have one of those at line 5455, but I can't find it."

load up the fullsourcedump code from the temp folder then you be able to see which included it's in.

trogdor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2009 22:00 Edited at: 25th Jun 2009 23:37
@Diggsey
Codesurge keeps locking up on my machine and causes the access violation errors.

@HowDo
I looked at the code dump and the error report, and all instances of the RETURN command were in the treeParty include file.

Thank you all for your help

[EDIT]
John Y helped me fix the tree Party include file by replacing return with ExitFunction.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=153082&b=1

Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling.
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 00:25
@trogdor
Those were fixed long ago! Download the latest version (And delete the existing settings file)

Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 01:09
I've been using Codesurge for as long as I've been using DBPro and I have never had a single access violation error.

How is the latest beta bugwise? I usually don't use betas of any program, but I'll make an exception in this case if it means higher FPS.

Swordfight! My cheesy little first game!
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=147808&b=36
trogdor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 17:05 Edited at: 26th Jun 2009 17:29
@Diggsey
I'm running the latest 7.4b7c
Which settings file should I delete?

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 17:55
That is the DBPro version

Get the latest CodeSurge, and delete the file 'cssettings.ini' in the codesurge folder if it already exists

trogdor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 18:13
I've got CodeSurge 1.2c and deleted the old cssettings.ini but it still locks up on the drop down menus, and I still get the access violations.

I'm on XP Pro SP3, Core 2 Quad Q9300, and dual monitors.

That's ok though, I'm used to the default IDE, and the code dump got me to where I needed to go.

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2009 16:13 Edited at: 27th Jun 2009 16:14
Ive posted a bug that popped up in Beta 7.

Its at the end of this thread: (Posted: 27th Jun 2009 14:05)
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=152365&b=15

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2009 17:17 Edited at: 28th Jun 2009 17:27
Not sure if this is an error that's been with DBPro for a while or not, but I finally figured it out after many hours of trying to figure out why CodeSurge won't compile the FPSC source code. Anyone that's tried it probably notices that you get "Cannot understand command at line 1." It comes down to the fact that if your .dbpro file extension is not lowercase, it won't compile. Change the extension to lowercase and all is well. I've tried this with several different projects with the same results.

Do the other editors automatically change the file extension to lowercase or something?

Edit: I just fixed CodeSurge to pass a lowercase version of the dbpro file to the compiler. After doing that it seems to work fine, but I think it's still something that should be addressed so that others who attempt to build an alternative IDE don't pull all their hair out before reaching 30. However, if you do fix this, please don't then make the path name be case SenSiTive as that will break my current fix.

CodeSurge
Version 1.0 finally released! Code your DBP projects in style. (And save the kittens!)
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2009 19:45 Edited at: 28th Jun 2009 19:46
Hi All,

I have just posted BETA8 which makes a few rather radical changes to the core rendering order and object sorting code. I wanted to get this out sooner rather than later to make sure it does not break 'everything' you guys are working on. I will go through the thread feedback above once I am back in the stride of things. We also have a new plug-in emerging too so expect a U74 to be a release version before too long and U75 beta to take its place.

P.S. Glad you sorted out your CODESURGE issues, the solution is something I probably would not have discovered in twice the time so thanks for that!

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
Math89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2009 22:01
Everything seems fine, here.

The only problem I have is that the normals of the planes are facing the wrong way by default which means than planes using backface culling are never lit (however, it can be fixed with the extra parameter of make object plane).
kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 04:24
Excellent! An extra 60 FPS

=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 15:21
I'm experiencing oddness with my current project and the new beta8.

I have the syncrate set to 60, and with beta7 and all the preceeding versions, It averages about 66fps; however with the new update, I'm getting 98fps!

I tried this to see if it did the same thing

But in this instance the sync rate stayed almost spot on 60fps, even adding a 3D object didn't cause a waver :/

However, my current project still is running 30fps faster than its supposed to be, and I was wondering if anyone else had noticed any odd sync rate behaviour?

Without Music or Love the world would be a very empty place... Thank god I still have music.. --'-<@
BillR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 15:47
testing new beta 8...

1) rotated plains seem fixed - good!

2)3000 line program - compilation failed(syntax error)
with no other info....what syntax in wrong.
nothing has changed in the program since testing DBPro 7.4 has started! All other beta versions compiled and ran ok.

using new DBPro editor - "compilation failed(syntax error)"
using original editor - "list index out of bounds(1)" error

using many,many MASSIVE arrays 32k to 35k indexes

using old editor after error, program does compile and run.
using new editor - program doesn't compile and run.
kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 16:17
Quote: "using many,many MASSIVE arrays 32k to 35k indices"

That shouldn't be a problem. As long as you have enough ram it should work. Also, as I have pointed out already, the plural for index is indices.

The only out of bounds I can think of is under 0. Over the array size would be reported at runtime.

revenant chaos
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 18:28
One of the new updates broke the water in Evolved's Deferred shading demos. After a bit of tinkering I have narrowed it down to something to do with set object transparency, more specifically mode 2. I am using 7.4 beta 8, and am upgrading from 7.2.
Math89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 18:46
I confirm it's a bug: Set Object Mask doesn't work when using the 2nd transparency mode.

In this example, the cube should be visible on the left camera only. It works fine for any other mode than 2.
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "using new DBPro editor - "compilation failed(syntax error)""

I would not recommend using that editor yet.

Quote: "using original editor - "list index out of bounds(1)" error"

This is a known issue (one of the previous updates introduced this problem related to DLL's it used), to correct it, do this:

In the \Compiler\plugins-licensed folder, delete these three files:

PhysicsMain_PC.dll
PhysicsMain_PC_Master.dll
PhysicsMainLang_PC.loc

Then relaunch the editor and continue as normal.

BillR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2009 02:15 Edited at: 1st Jul 2009 02:30
@SFSW - Thanks
but I still get the "list index out of bounds(1)" error with 7.4 beta 8

1) switched to original editor
In the Compilerplugins-licensed folder, delete these three files:
2) (not found) PhysicsMain_PC.dll
3) (deleted) PhysicsMain_PC_Master.dll
4) (deleted) PhysicsMainLang_PC.loc

I still get the "list index out of bounds(1)" error
click OK
source code in editor vanishes
program runs
exit program by hitting escape key
back in the editor, source code is still gone!
even when running the small code sample below
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
I think if you close the sub-window in the editor (the small X below the main editor's window X), your code will come back.

It's been a while since I last fought with that problem, so there may be something newer introduced. Each update since U74b has worked ok for me since I last resolved the problems I was having with the original editor. Do you have a backup of your editor folder and files? If not, try removing some of the other more recently dated DLL files from that folder one at a time, then testing for changes. Keep them handy so you can put them back after testing. It may be linked to one of the other ones.

Mini Malistix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2009 06:55
@BillR

After the update i got the same error.

Please look into the plugin-user directory and look if you have
DBProODERelease.dll and the debug version. You have to delete one
of this files.
Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2009 05:57
@ LeeBamber: Thanks for the performance update. I haven't tried it yet, but seems that it will help a lot.

AlfaX.
Omen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2009 07:24
@Lee,

I'm testing 7.4_b8 on OMEN, good performance increase (about 20% on low-end machines)... but the changes to the sprite priority system broke things:

Quote: "
*Replaced priority sorting system with a much faster method - sprite priority will now have little to no effect on sprite rendering time
* Rewrite of sprite rendering process to group sprites with common priority and textures together to enhance the speed of rendering
"

Under 7.3, sprites seem to dynamically acquire a priority based on their creation time. Later-created sprites would always appear over and have a higher priority than earlier-created sprites.

Now under 7.4_b8, sprites can appear above or below sprites with the same priority even when created later.

Not sure if this is what you wanted or not - but the end result seems to be that sprite priority must always be set for every sprite if you want to guarantee correct layering.

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2009 20:21
A little test shows that the rendering of sprites with equal priority is now in sprite number order, not creation order.

If you want a sprite to appear on top of another of the same priority, give it a higher sprite number.

BillR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2009 04:39
Thanks SFSW and Mini Malistix, and all who helped!

I couldn't even compile for days, but now I can.
I deleted DBProODEDebug.dll and that did the trick.

YEAH!!!
Omen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2009 09:08
@IanM,

Nice work-around, that fixes it perfectly

Thanks!

Omen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2009 09:30
Lee,

Under 7.4_b8, is bitmap format 20 (24-bits, RGB, 8 bits per channel) no longer supported? This causes a "bitmap does not exist" error:

Thanks!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 04:34:52
Your offset time is: 2024-04-28 04:34:52