Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / XenoPhysics - A Havok Wrapper for DarkBasic Professional

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2009 19:11
Not multithreaded, and I was able to drive around with 10,000 boxes on the ground before FPS started to drop below 40. It was "interesting"...

System Specs: Core 2 Duo 3.16GHz, 4GB RAM, 9800GT w/512MB, XP 32bit.

Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2009 19:29
Wow! 7000 boxes with 25-40 FPS O_o

specs: core 2 duo 2 ghz, 3GB ram, nvidia geforce G 103 M windows 7 x32 ( g 103 M is kinda equal for 9300 but for laptops )

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2009 20:31
i got 10 000 boxes and it ran at 20FPS when they were all moving and 40FPS when they all settled down.

Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2009 20:41
Quick Update

I've nearly finished Anti-Gravity vehicles. They control quite nicely. I've just got to actually port them to their own class in my plugin now (as I have XenoVehicle which will probably be renamed to XenoWheeledVehicle). I'll have a demo for them up sometime soon. I'm also going to add in flying vehicles very soon as well, as those are going to be a basic modification of the Anti-Gravity vehicles (in a sense that they'll be able to move upward as well).

I've also planned out how I'll handle water and a little gravity lift feature. You won't be dealing with water planes. Instead, you'll be able to create a water zone from any shape you could create a rigid body with (minus triangle mesh, unless you REALLY want that...) This means that you can specify a box water volume, a sphere water volume, up to a convex mesh water volume and so on. Same goes for gravity lifts. Their job will be to propel any rigid body or character that goes within the volume a specified amount. You'll be able to set the amount of force applied on each axis (they won't just go up, they'll be able to go any direction).

I'm also going to create a basic moving platform command set. Instead of forcing you to create moving platforms via constraints, I'm going to handle the work internally. This means you'll be able to create an elevator in no time.

Those are just a few new things I have planned. Hopefully this will strike a bit more interest in people

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2009 23:40
hey n3wton, would you mind posting the source for your demo?

forever loading...
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2009 23:59
Quote: "Those are just a few new things I have planned. Hopefully this will strike a bit more interest in people"

Trust me, I think there's a few of us that are interested enough for all the rest that haven't found this yet.

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2009 00:10
805 views in 6 days...
that's a lot.
this will be big when you release it...

forever loading...
Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2009 02:21
Quote: "Trust me, I think there's a few of us that are interested enough for all the rest that haven't found this yet.
"

Good to hear!

Quote: "805 views in 6 days...
that's a lot.
this will be big when you release it..."

One can only hope!

CSGames94
Years of Service
User Offline
I like the work that is being done on this too! But I still want to know about Havok Destruction and AI?
Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2009 04:46 Edited at: 13th Dec 2009 06:54
Quote: "Havok Destruction and AI?"

I wish. Those are reserved to people who can afford their very large license cost. If they were to release those I would wrap them, but I doubt they will. At least, not for a while.

Quick Update

Just a quick starting statement, I would like to state that the more I work with Havok, the more I am impressed with it's vehicle system. They put so much thought into the vehicles. Everything is handled. If the wheels have no friction, your vehicle isn't going anywhere. If your wheels spring strength is very high, your car isn't going to be bouncing when you land. It also takes into consideration that when a vehicle turns, it keeps the same direction of movement but friction turns it accordingly. I love it.

Anyways, I'm adding in a few vehicle commands now. One that I prototyped earlier along with the anti-gravity vehicles is boosting. I also tested this with the ground vehicles, and it works equally well. Just... really hard to slow down at high boosting speeds. But fun to launch off ramps. Regardless, it's a very nice boosting method which will increase the top speed of your car. You will be able to define how long you want the boost to go for until it's unusable by setting how long it takes for the engine to overheat (or the max heat at which it can sustain whilst boosting). Note that this will not affect the actual standard acceleration and turning (unless you want it to?)

The next thing I'm working on is for all the vehicles as well. Since I introduced boosters into the plugin, it came to my attention that it was unbearably hard to stop moving at certain speeds. With this, I introduce an "emergency brake thruster" type thing into this plugin. This will slow down vehicles quite significantly, although it will overheat the engine as well. More so than boosting. (Note, your vehicle doesn't have to use this, this is just for people who would want something like this)

Now the rest fall into play with the anti-gravity vehicles. First off, anti-gravity vehicles have the ability to strafe in a sense. They also can go forward and backward. They will support boosting as well. In two ways. First will be a forward boost, of course. The next will be a kind of jump for the vehicles, boosting the vehicles up a small amount in their local coordinate system. Of course, there will be the emergency braking system as well.

I'm tired and those are the features I have thought of implementing (easily doable as I accomplished the precursor to all of those in the prototyping stage of anti-gravity vehicles).

Todd Riggins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2009 19:53 Edited at: 13th Dec 2009 19:54
I just wanted to be another random person to drop by and say... Cool! I look forward to this

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2009 19:55
We gonna see a demo soon of BlitzTerrain and XenoPhysics together?

Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2009 23:06
Quote: "I just wanted to be another random person to drop by and say... Cool! I look forward to this"

Thanks!

Quote: "We gonna see a demo soon of BlitzTerrain and XenoPhysics together? "

Eventually, yes.

Melancholic
Years of Service
User Offline
@Xarshi: This Is looking brillaitn as allways!, although i just went to the Havok website and it appears you have to buy there physics?. If we were to use this in a commerical project would we be required to own a Havok licence?.
kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2009 11:21
@Xarshi
If you dont mind not having any terrain modification commands, environment mapping and no saving/loading/deleting functions. I could send you a dll right now and we could get to work on making a demo.

Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2009 12:00
Quote: "@Xarshi: This Is looking brillaitn as allways!, although i just went to the Havok website and it appears you have to buy there physics?. If we were to use this in a commerical project would we be required to own a Havok licence?. "

Nope. Intel covered a free license for indi developers. You can sell a game up to $10, but if you want to sell more than that, you have to request a free license from Havok. A free license isn't so bad haha.

Quote: "@Xarshi
If you dont mind not having any terrain modification commands, environment mapping and no saving/loading/deleting functions. I could send you a dll right now and we could get to work on making a demo."

Hm, sure. We could do that.

Melancholic
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Nope. Intel covered a free license for indi developers. You can sell a game up to $10, but if you want to sell more than that, you have to request a free license from Havok. A free license isn't so bad haha."

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, cool
N3wton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2009 16:02
Quote: "Worries me a little in the end if I were to actually plan on selling it"

Yer if you were to sell it (which I wouldn't blame you cos this will be aswome just don't make it too expensive) you'd have to put key encryption like in bluegui where you need to call something like

xeno start "USER ID", "USER PASS"

else xeno physics wont work

also on a side note, if you need a beta tester i'm more that willing to test it as I already have a project made

also (you'll probably know about this) if you call

it comes up with a dll error.

Keep up the good work

Yours
N3wton

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2009 18:59 Edited at: 14th Dec 2009 19:00
Quote: "xeno start "USER ID", "USER PASS""

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I acctually got so mad at that, I went through my email archives, found the order details, went to the Blue GUI website, signed in, downloaded the source code, unzipped it, opened it in visual studio, removed that command completely, made it set it up in the constructor function AND Compiled it. And not forgetting the having to copy it into the DBPro compiler directory aswell.

I must have been very mad...

N3wton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2009 20:23
Lol, It was just a suggestion to stop people simply ripping the dll from the exe and getting it for free

Have a beer dude

yours
N3wton

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2009 20:37

yeah, i noticed that problem, i am making an fps demo...

if this costed money, i'd buy it. much better than darkphysics, from what i've experimented with so far...

forever loading...
Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2009 21:28
@N3wton - noticed that much earlier and fixed it. Although there is one mesh of thenerds that won't load for some reason. Crashes the application. Only in release mode. Which is... weird... if I debug it it works perfectly. And my Halo maps work perfectly in release mode so that doesn't make sense either.

Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2009 21:41
Quote: "Yer if you were to sell it (which I wouldn't blame you cos this will be aswome just don't make it too expensive)"

I probably won't though. Just saying if haha.

N3wton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2009 21:45
haha

Good on you m8, free all the way

Can't wait to use this with my project

Yours
N3wton

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2009 23:21
me too.
I think I just have bad luck...

forever loading...
Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2009 23:42 Edited at: 14th Dec 2009 23:58
I've been testing out the motorcycles anti gravity vehicle counter-part in blood gulch. It is really fun, but buggy in how it acts. I'll to tweak it a little to get it to work perfectly. I'll post a video of it here soon!

I'll work on a four gravity point vehicle as well as three gravity point vehicle also. They are actually really fun.

Quick Update

As I get more and more frustrated with the DBP graphics commands I get closer and closer to making a graphics plugin which this will use. It'd make both rendering and physics faster. I don't know if I should yet, though. Time will tell.

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2009 23:56
great!

n3wton, could you post the source for your demo?

forever loading...
Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2009 00:12
Ehh, if I do decide to make a graphics plugin I'm making it worth while. Meaning OpenGL, Direct3D 9, and Direct3D 10 support.

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2009 00:26
yeah.

forever loading...
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2009 01:06
Quote: "if I do decide to make a graphics plugin I'm making it worth while. Meaning OpenGL, Direct3D 9, and Direct3D 10 support."

Sweeeeeeeeeet!!!

Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2009 02:33 Edited at: 15th Dec 2009 03:32
I've been testing out the two point gravity vehicle and it is getting really stable. It has limits on how far on it can rotate forward. If it rotates too far, or spins in mid air, the vehicle will lose control and will tip (assuming it is the two point vehicle). Four and six point vehicles (soon to be a three point as well) will not have the same effect. They will be able to keep on going. The mass of the chassis directly affects the amount of force needed to move the anti-gravity vehicles along, so if it weighs more, use more to move it (or if its meant to be slow keep it lower, it will move like an anti-grav tank).

These two vehicle types really open a lot of room into things. Both are very fun to play with, and both allow for different types of vehicle control. Next, however, I will be working on flying vehicles. Those will be easy but very fun as well. I'm looking forward to designing a few flying vehicles. I wish I had some futuristic models to use for the flying vehicles though. Would be so much more fun.

Quick Update

I finished the four point anti gravity vehicle just a moment ago. Controls very nicely. These vehicles truly are fun. They offer a bit more speed control than the normal vehicles, as well as they can propel themselves upward in their local coordinate system. All anti-gravity vehicles can strafe as well. All vehicles in general will be able to boost forward and, consequently, backward (you will be able to input negative values for a forward boost, making it go backwards). The reason this is is because I calculate the movement by rotating a simple vector, say, (1, 0, 0) with the rotation of the rigid body to get it in local space, then null out the y value for anti-grav vehicles (for flying vehicles this will not be touched, giving you the ability to actually fly). Works quite well. I think I'll finish up the six point anti-grav vehicle tank thing tonight and then tomorrow start on flying vehicles which will feature some functions for taking off (small force exerted to lift off, or I'll have a function that can propel you upward similar to the anti-gravity vehicles). You'll be able to move in any direction with flying anti-gravity vehicles, but with simple flying vehicles it will be limited to forward and turning. Although I'm going to have to see how I'll get the standard flying vehicles working.

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 15th Dec 2009 03:44
Will reagular models work with this like my main player in 3ds.

Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2009 03:55
Quote: "Will reagular models work with this like my main player in 3ds."

Yes they will.

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 15th Dec 2009 05:04
cool deal, cant wait

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2009 05:51
I like how this stuff sounds

However, I noticed you mentioned engines overheating - is this part of Havok, or something you are adding? I mention it because I think you should keep the plugin strictly to physics and not gameplay mechanics. How overheating affects the vehicle, how fast the engine overheats, and how it is presented to the player should be carried out by the game IMO.

I'm not trying to sound negative, I just don't want this undoubtedly awesome plugin getting bloated with anything redundant

Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2009 06:15 Edited at: 15th Dec 2009 06:17
Quote: "I like how this stuff sounds

However, I noticed you mentioned engines overheating - is this part of Havok, or something you are adding? I mention it because I think you should keep the plugin strictly to physics and not gameplay mechanics. How overheating affects the vehicle, how fast the engine overheats, and how it is presented to the player should be carried out by the game IMO.

I'm not trying to sound negative, I just don't want this undoubtedly awesome plugin getting bloated with anything redundant "

Yeah, I scrapped that idea after I thought of it really The only game play mechanics I'm implementing is the taking off with flying vehicles. But as of right now, the vehicle portion of this is growing large. But I'll try to keep it as thin as I can whilst still maintaining useful code.

I guess at the moment the only game play mechanic stuff would be anti-gravity vehicles. But they are just another kind of vehicles, in my opinion. It's mainly to add variety. Plus I handle the angling of the motorcycle as it turns internally (although I'll have to definitely make it prettier before release).

Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
I am gonna use this for sure! Thanks buddy!

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2009 17:44
So are you making code for certain vehicles? or are these just preset settings that define these types of vehicles?

[root question]
Will we be able to make our own vehicle settings apart from these presets you are creating?

N3wton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2009 19:57
Quote: "n3wton, could you post the source for your demo?"

Sorry it took awhile to get it, I wiped my laptop and have gone 64-bit so had to get it from my backup

here it is

not the nicest of code, I'll probably rewrite it and make some functions if i can be bothered

yours
N3wton

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2009 20:39
thanks. If you don't mind, i've got a few ideas to improve on it...

forever loading...
N3wton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2009 20:43
Go for it

Just wish I had a new version which had xeno make rigid body static mesh working

yours
N3wton

Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2009 20:46 Edited at: 15th Dec 2009 20:47
Looking forward to the release of this Xeno. Keep it up!

You too N3wton.

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2009 20:51
n3wton, could I add you on msn?

forever loading...
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2009 02:47
I'm confused.

N3wton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2009 02:55
about.... ???

Quote: "A problem shared is a problem halved"

Yours
N3wton

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2009 02:57
I wasn't told that someone was creating a physics wrapper in my name...

Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2009 03:13 Edited at: 16th Dec 2009 04:52
Quote: "I wasn't told that someone was creating a physics wrapper in my name... "

Haha, I saw you post a few days before release and knew you would post here one time or another This is actually named after a first person shooter I did last year in Irrlicht with Havok. It wasn't very extensive but I had player control, raycasting weapons, and rigid bodies. I want to remake it with either DBP or in my modified Irrlicht engine which I'm working on (introducing better material handling and Direct3D 10. If I work on it much...) This has my attention at the moment though.

Quick Questionably Related Update

I'm reorganizing the source to this project now. I'm excited as it got remotely messy. I'm going to store all the global variables within a singleton class, and from there split up all the command sets into separate files (before they were just in XenoPhysics.h and XenoPhysics.cpp). So I'm really excited. After I reorganize everything, I'm going to do some bug fixing and then get on to triggers and constraints. Joyful days are coming

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2009 20:44
yay.

forever loading...
Zaibatsu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2009 04:34
This is looking really nice! The vehicle physics are great, especially the power sliding.

I tried the demo that N3wton posted, and it kept a decent frame rate until I spawned about 10,000 boxes.

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2009 17:52 Edited at: 19th Dec 2009 17:54
my comp could only handle about 5,000.
I changed his demo a little and added grass, just because...
i might upload it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 11:57:29
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 11:57:29